Book describing devt of petty-bureaucratic English?

Harold Davis

May 16, 2016, 1:12:13 PM5/16/16
About five years ago I read a newspaper review of a book on the history of
the English language that contained quite a lot on the development of the
petty-bureaucratic sociolect, including the kind of thing that some might
call "traffic warden" English.

Unfortunately I've forgotten the title.

I can't recall exactly what the author said, but he seemed reasonably
astute, so I am fairly sure he looked at changes in the school system and
possibly also the civil service after the 1870s.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Peter Duncanson

May 16, 2016, 2:15:06 PM5/16/16
Hello!

I haven't read a book of that description. I may have heard of one but
my memory is drawing a blank. I'll let you know if anything comes to
mind.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in uk.culture.language.english)

Harold Davis

May 16, 2016, 7:31:40 PM5/16/16
Peter Duncanson <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in
Thanks Peter. FWIW, I think the author may have been a well-known
newspaper journalist.

Harry