Longitude

Dieter Britz

Jul 19, 2014, 10:44:34 AM7/19/14
I was talking to an ex-USAmerican here, who has been in Denmark
even longer than I have. I used the word "longitude", pronouncing
it as we do in Australia, with the g as in "good", and he corrected
me, saying that it is pronounced with the g as in "lounge". Is this
the USAmerican pronunciation, or is he wrong?
--
Dieter Britz

Peter Duncanson

Jul 19, 2014, 11:30:17 AM7/19/14
It seems to be an American pronunciation:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/longitude

The BrAndWorldE entry gives the "good" g pronunciation and the g as in
"lounge" second:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/longitude

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in uk.culture.language.english)

Molly Mockford

Jul 19, 2014, 12:02:57 PM7/19/14
At 16:30:17 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Peter Duncanson
<ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in
<bi3ls9tf8dkji4qbu...@4ax.com>:

>The BrAndWorldE entry gives the "good" g pronunciation and the g as in
>"lounge" second:
>http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/longitude

I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel following,
a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.

I have always pronounced longitude with a soft g, but I have frequently
heard it pronounced with a hard one. But then, I've also heard
longevity pronounced with a hard instead of a soft g, which I am sure is
incorrect. I wonder whether there is any correlation with those who say
"sing-ger" rather than "sing-er"?
--
Molly Mockford
Nature loves variety. Unfortunately, society hates it. (Milton Diamond Ph.D.)

Laszlo Lebrun

Jul 19, 2014, 1:45:48 PM7/19/14
On 19.07.2014 18:02, Molly Mockford wrote:

> I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
> pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
> necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel following,
> a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.

+1
> I have always pronounced longitude with a soft g, but I have frequently
> heard it pronounced with a hard one. But then, I've also heard
> longevity pronounced with a hard instead of a soft g, which I am sure is
> incorrect.
+1
> I wonder whether there is any correlation with those who say
> "sing-ger" rather than "sing-er"?

Singer with a soft "g" is incorrect. Sing-ger too.

--
One computer and three operating systems, not the other way round.
One wife and many hotels, not the other way round ! ;-)

Peter Duncanson

Jul 19, 2014, 2:11:47 PM7/19/14
On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 19:45:48 +0200, Laszlo Lebrun
<lazlo_...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 19.07.2014 18:02, Molly Mockford wrote:
>
>> I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
>> pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
>> necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel following,
>> a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.
>>
>+1
>> I have always pronounced longitude with a soft g, but I have frequently
>> heard it pronounced with a hard one. But then, I've also heard
>> longevity pronounced with a hard instead of a soft g, which I am sure is
>> incorrect.
>+1
>> I wonder whether there is any correlation with those who say
>> "sing-ger" rather than "sing-er"?
>
>Singer with a soft "g" is incorrect. Sing-ger too.

"Singer" with a soft-g is correct if the word refers to a person or
something who "singes": burns superficially.

I assume that Molly is using "sing-ger" to represent the pronunciation
in which a hard-g is used in the same way as in "finger". That
pronunciation is used in parts of England.
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2823655&s=2ff68334f9b19557cb343a1fd64b2269&p=14270323#post14270323

"Singer" is pronounced /'s??g?/ in a zone that runs from Lancashire
via Cheshire and Staffordshire to the Black Country and Birmingham
(UK). This is not a "substandard" pronunciation (linguistics doesn't
use the word "substandard", since no sound is intrinsically inferior
to any other) but a redoubt of a pronunciation that once extended
over a wider area. In fact, Peter Trudgill, in "The Dialects of
England", says: This is the original English pronunciation.

Molly Mockford

Jul 20, 2014, 8:39:03 AM7/20/14
At 17:02:57 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Molly Mockford
<nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote in
<fif$PBFxap...@molly.mockford>:

>I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
>pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
>necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel following,
>a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.

I've received an e-mail from Einde O'Callaghan which was presumably
e-mailed rather than posted in error, and since it is relevant to the
discussion I'm copying it here:

/Quote starts/
This rule breaks down with certain very common words of Germanic origin
such as "give", "get", "gift", "girl".
/Quote ends/

And I reply: Very good point!

Einde O'Callaghan

Jul 20, 2014, 9:43:34 AM7/20/14
On 20.07.2014 14:39, Molly Mockford wrote:
> At 17:02:57 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Molly Mockford
> <nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> wrote in
> <fif$PBFxap...@molly.mockford>:
>
>> I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
>> pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
>> necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel
>> following, a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.
>
> I've received an e-mail from Einde O'Callaghan which was presumably
> e-mailed rather than posted in error, and since it is relevant to the
> discussion I'm copying it here:
>
> /Quote starts/
> This rule breaks down with certain very common words of Germanic origin
> such as "give", "get", "gift", "girl".
> /Quote ends/
>
> And I reply: Very good point!

Sorry about the mix-up, Molly! The latest version of my mail program
seems to have changed its default for newsgroups!

Regards, Einde O'Callaghan

Charles Lindsey

Jul 22, 2014, 6:03:53 AM7/22/14
In <fif$PBFxap...@molly.mockford> Molly Mockford <nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> writes:

>At 16:30:17 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Peter Duncanson
><ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in
><bi3ls9tf8dkji4qbu...@4ax.com>:

>>The BrAndWorldE entry gives the "good" g pronunciation and the g as in
>>"lounge" second:
>>http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/longitude

>I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
>pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
>necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel following,
>a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.

Well I was never taught that. At the end of a word, an 'e' is added to
soften it ("syringe"). And I have never heard 'singer' with a soft g (that
would be a person who singed things with a hot iron. And if you wrote
'longuitude', I would try to pronoune it with a 'w' sound somewhere in the
middle.

'Longitude' is clearly derived from 'long'. Harrison must be turning in
his grave.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: c...@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

Peter Duncanson

Jul 22, 2014, 7:54:42 AM7/22/14
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:03:53 GMT, "Charles Lindsey"
<c...@clerew.man.ac.uk> wrote:

>In <fif$PBFxap...@molly.mockford> Molly Mockford <nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> writes:
>
>>At 16:30:17 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Peter Duncanson
>><ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in
>><bi3ls9tf8dkji4qbu...@4ax.com>:
>
>>>The BrAndWorldE entry gives the "good" g pronunciation and the g as in
>>>"lounge" second:
>>>http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/longitude
>
>>I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
>>pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
>>necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel following,
>>a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.
>
>Well I was never taught that. At the end of a word, an 'e' is added to
>soften it ("syringe"). And I have never heard 'singer' with a soft g (that
>would be a person who singed things with a hot iron. And if you wrote
>'longuitude', I would try to pronoune it with a 'w' sound somewhere in the
>middle.
>
>'Longitude' is clearly derived from 'long'. Harrison must be turning in
>his grave.

Turning in his grave at a very precise number of revolutions per minute.

Dev

Jul 22, 2014, 8:43:00 AM7/22/14
In article <i1kss997ih3n7su5h...@4ax.com>,
Peter Duncanson <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:03:53 GMT, "Charles Lindsey"
> <c...@clerew.man.ac.uk> wrote:

> >In <fif$PBFxap...@molly.mockford> Molly Mockford <nospam...@mollymockford.me.uk> writes:
> >
> >>At 16:30:17 on Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Peter Duncanson
> >><ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in

> >>I was taught at school that the default for a g was the hard
> >>pronunciation, but an e or an i after the g softened it. If it was
> >>necessary to have a hard g with an otherwise-softening vowel following,
> >>a u would be inserted, as in guide or guess.
> >
> >Well I was never taught that. At the end of a word, an 'e' is added to
> >soften it ("syringe"). And I have never heard 'singer' with a soft g
> >(that would be a person who singed things with a hot iron. And if you
> >wrote 'longuitude', I would try to pronoune it with a 'w' sound
> >somewhere in the middle.
> >
> >'Longitude' is clearly derived from 'long'. Harrison must be turning in
> >his grave.

Hard-g 'longitude' doesn't sound too bad but a hard-g 'longevity' (which
also must derive from 'long'?) sounds positively Klingon.

> Turning in his grave at a very precise number of revolutions per minute.

:-)

--
Dev in WY

Favourite book: Hamlet's Mill.

Molly Mockford

Jul 22, 2014, 8:49:14 AM7/22/14
At 10:03:53 on Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Charles Lindsey <c...@clerew.man.ac.uk>
wrote in <n93yM...@clerew.man.ac.uk>:

>And I have never heard 'singer' with a soft g

I was not suggesting that anybody said "sinjer". I was drawing the
distinction between "sing-ger" and "sing-er", and wondering whether the
difference in dialects might correlate with those who said either
"long-gitude" or "lonjitude".

Laszlo Lebrun

Jul 22, 2014, 1:46:09 PM7/22/14
On 22.07.2014 12:03, Charles Lindsey wrote:
> 'Longitude' is clearly derived from 'long'. Harrison must be turning in
> his grave.
Where ist that grave located? Can you give me the geographic coordinates?
;-)

Peter Duncanson

Jul 22, 2014, 3:17:32 PM7/22/14
On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:46:09 +0200, Laszlo Lebrun
<lazlo_...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On 22.07.2014 12:03, Charles Lindsey wrote:
>> 'Longitude' is clearly derived from 'long'. Harrison must be turning in
>> his grave.
>Where ist that grave located? Can you give me the geographic coordinates?
>;-)

Yes.

He is buried in the churchyard of St John-at-Hampstead. The coordinates
of the church are 51.555301N, -0.181282E (according to Google Maps).
https://goo.gl/maps/vyaQ7

This gives details of his grave:
http://www.flamsteed.org/fasharrison.htm

The grave is a few metres South of the church building.

Dave G

Aug 10, 2014, 4:46:08 PM8/10/14
He is correct. The USAmerican pronunciation is with a soft 'g', as in
lounge.

Charles Lindsey

Aug 11, 2014, 7:35:12 AM8/11/14
But this is uk.culture.language.english, and British English definitely
follows the Australian form. Or more lilely vice versa.

shot...@hotmail.com

May 18, 2017, 3:40:15 AM5/18/17
He's wrong.

Tony Mountifield

May 18, 2017, 5:13:04 AM5/18/17
In article <f2b7a48e-7006-4bb1...@googlegroups.com>,
It was only in later life that I eventually discovered the word was
"longitude" and not "longtitude"! And unless I'm being careful, I'll
naturally pronounce it the latter way, how I learned it as a child.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: to...@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Peter Duncanson

May 18, 2017, 9:08:53 AM5/18/17
On Thu, 18 May 2017 09:12:31 +0000 (UTC), to...@mountifield.org (Tony
Mountifield) wrote:

>In article <f2b7a48e-7006-4bb1...@googlegroups.com>,
> <shot...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 July 2014 16:44:34 UTC+2, Dieter Britz wrote:
>> > I was talking to an ex-USAmerican here, who has been in Denmark
>> > even longer than I have. I used the word "longitude", pronouncing
>> > it as we do in Australia, with the g as in "good", and he corrected
>> > me, saying that it is pronounced with the g as in "lounge". Is this
>> > the USAmerican pronunciation, or is he wrong?
>> > --
>> > Dieter Britz
>>
>> He's wrong.
>
>It was only in later life that I eventually discovered the word was
>"longitude" and not "longtitude"! And unless I'm being careful, I'll
>naturally pronounce it the latter way, how I learned it as a child.
>
>Cheers
>Tony

Some people say it as "longditude".