FileMaker - legacy v14 database access

8 views
Skip to first unread message

Pd

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 7:56:13 AM11/7/21
to
Hi all

My wife has just bought a brand new M1-powered 16" MacBook Pro, against
my recommendation (because all our software is ancient).

No surprises, Monterey won't run FileMaker 14.

Claris want Ł518 for FileMaker Pro 19, which seems a vast sum just to
run our old address database, and a few incidental DBs like info
(various serials, passport numbers, that sort of thing) and access our
historical accounting data.

Any suggestions? I thought they might do a runtime that allowed access
to legacy databases, but apparently not.

Open to "export all your data and import into SQLite (or similar)"
suggestions, along with recommended query tools.

Also open to "run a VM using xxx free VM to run 10.13 High Sierra to use
FMv14"

or indeed, any other solutions people have used or think might work.

Thanks
Pd

D.M. Procida

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 8:24:06 AM11/7/21
to
On 7 Nov 2021 at 12:56:11 GMT, "Pd" <Pd> wrote:

> Hi all

Hello stranger.

> My wife has just bought a brand new M1-powered 16" MacBook Pro, against
> my recommendation (because all our software is ancient).
>
> No surprises, Monterey won't run FileMaker 14.
>
> Claris want £518 for FileMaker Pro 19, which seems a vast sum just to
> run our old address database, and a few incidental DBs like info
> (various serials, passport numbers, that sort of thing) and access our
> historical accounting data.
>
> Any suggestions? I thought they might do a runtime that allowed access
> to legacy databases, but apparently not.
>
> Open to "export all your data and import into SQLite (or similar)"
> suggestions, along with recommended query tools.

Apart from the "historical accounting data" is any of that actually seriously
structured data, or could it equally well be dumped into say spreadsheets, or
even into freeform notes?

> Also open to "run a VM using xxx free VM to run 10.13 High Sierra to use
> FMv14"

After seven years or so working with tools like Docker, virtual machines feel
like disposable, short-lived things, and not the kind of place where important
data will safely enjoy long-term survival.

I'm going through the same kind of questions as you at the moment, having made
a similar change.

Daniele

Pd

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 8:46:30 AM11/7/21
to
D.M. Procida <daniele-at-...@invalid.com> wrote:

> On 7 Nov 2021 at 12:56:11 GMT, "Pd" <Pd> wrote:
>
> > Hi all
>
> Hello stranger.

Howdy. Funny you should be the first old friend I see on ucsm, because I
was thinking of you just this morning as "Fear of Flying" came up on the
random shuffle play of all tracks on my phone. I've always been
mortified by some flippant drunken remark I made about the Awkward
Moments being crap, which was intended as an ironic insult implying
admiration, but I suspect carried across at face value.

> After seven years or so working with tools like Docker, virtual machines feel
> like disposable, short-lived things, and not the kind of place where important
> data will safely enjoy long-term survival.

Hmm, okay.

> I'm going through the same kind of questions as you at the moment, having made
> a similar change.

Possibly legacy data will be just dumped into a huge text file for quick
text search access, ongoing stuff I'll still need to investigate more
open source databases. And I'll continue paying the MS Office upgrades,
I guess.

Pd

Martin S Taylor

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 8:57:30 AM11/7/21
to
On Nov 7, 2021, Pd wrote
(in article<1pi9y88.1cn350a1f6o2n4N%phing...@gmail.not>):

> No surprises, Monterey won't run FileMaker 14.
>
> Claris want £518 for FileMaker Pro 19, which seems a vast sum just to
> run our old address database, and a few incidental DBs like info
> (various serials, passport numbers, that sort of thing) and access our
> historical accounting data.
>
> Any suggestions? I thought they might do a runtime that allowed access
> to legacy databases, but apparently not.

Hello there, old timer.

I found myself in the same situation: FM is essential for my work, since
there isn't any other half-decent DBMS program out there (that I could find).

For most software which won't run under Monterey I'm just biting the bullet
and upgrading, but I agree that £518 is stupid.

Versions of FM earlier than 19 will run under Monterey, and aren't that hard
to pick up. I mangaged to get a copy of FM 17 for considerably less than
£518; maybe that's the solution for you?

MST

David Kennedy

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 9:19:34 AM11/7/21
to
On 07/11/2021 12:56, Pd wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My wife has just bought a brand new M1-powered 16" MacBook Pro, against
> my recommendation (because all our software is ancient).
>
> No surprises, Monterey won't run FileMaker 14.
>
> Claris want £518 for FileMaker Pro 19, which seems a vast sum just to
> run our old address database, and a few incidental DBs like info
> (various serials, passport numbers, that sort of thing) and access our
> historical accounting data.

I see that they also allow you to subscribe at US$19 pcm which is awfully
generous of them...

I am (was) still on FM11...

J. J. Lodder

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 9:25:14 AM11/7/21
to
Pd <phing...@gmail.not> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> My wife has just bought a brand new M1-powered 16" MacBook Pro, against
> my recommendation (because all our software is ancient).
>
> No surprises, Monterey won't run FileMaker 14.
>
> Claris want £518 for FileMaker Pro 19, which seems a vast sum just to
> run our old address database, and a few incidental DBs like info
> (various serials, passport numbers, that sort of thing) and access our
> historical accounting data.
>
> Any suggestions? I thought they might do a runtime that allowed access
> to legacy databases, but apparently not.

Same as for MacSoup. Get an older Mac Mini
and run it remotely and headless.
(far cheaper than that 518 GBP)

Claris tells me that you'll need OSX 9 to OSX 11 for FMP14,
so that means most older minis will do.
Has other uses as well,

Jan


Pd

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 10:58:13 AM11/7/21
to
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

<waves>

> Versions of FM earlier than 19 will run under Monterey, and aren't that hard
> to pick up. I mangaged to get a copy of FM 17 for considerably less than
> £518; maybe that's the solution for you?

Yes, I've been thinking that might be one option.
Can you say where you 'managed to get a copy' from?

Pd

Pd

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 10:58:14 AM11/7/21
to
J. J. Lodder <nos...@de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:

> Same as for MacSoup. Get an older Mac Mini
> and run it remotely and headless.

That would work as an option for me, as I don't do a lot away from home,
but not for Sarah, as the reason she's jumped from her old 2011 iMac to
a new MBP is because she's living in two different places at the moment,
and going back and forth. I don't think she'd want the hassle of setting
up internet access to the Mini.

> Claris tells me that you'll need OSX 9 to OSX 11 for FMP14

Seems to run perfectly well on High Sierra.

I'll check out the cost of an old Mini.
Thanks

Pd

J. J. Lodder

unread,
Nov 7, 2021, 4:35:15 PM11/7/21
to
Pd <phing...@gmail.not> wrote:

> J. J. Lodder <nos...@de-ster.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> > Same as for MacSoup. Get an older Mac Mini
> > and run it remotely and headless.
>
> That would work as an option for me, as I don't do a lot away from home,
> but not for Sarah, as the reason she's jumped from her old 2011 iMac to
> a new MBP is because she's living in two different places at the moment,
> and going back and forth. I don't think she'd want the hassle of setting
> up internet access to the Mini.

Then I would just take the mini with me, in her case.
If run in screen sharing it doesn't need monitor, keyboard or mouse.
(it may need a monitor simulator for decent resolution)
Of course an old MacBook will also do.

> > Claris tells me that you'll need OSX 9 to OSX 11 for FMP14
>
> Seems to run perfectly well on High Sierra.

OK, so no lack of range.

> I'll check out the cost of an old Mini.

There is a sweet spot at the late 2012 mini, at least for me.
It is the last to take two HDs,
and the first with USB3 and Thunderbolt.
Others know it too: they still fetch 200-300 euro,
depending on RAM, i5/i7 and HD/SSD,

Jan


Another John

unread,
Nov 8, 2021, 5:32:29 AM11/8/21
to
In article <1pi9y88.1cn350a1f6o2n4N%phing...@gmail.not>,
phing...@gmail.not (Pd) wrote:

> Claris want Ł518 for FileMaker Pro 19, which seems a vast sum just to
> run our old address database, ...

They obviously know their (no doubt dwindling) customer base:
silver-haired Mac aficianados, who -- as any fule know -- have loads of
money, nowadays.


> Any suggestions? I thought they might do a runtime that allowed access
> to legacy databases, but apparently not.

Is LibreOffice any use? I started using this when (finally!! :-D )
breaking free of Microsoft Word last year. When working, I *had* to use
Office, because 95% of the institution used it (because -- as any fule
know -- "it's the best of breed" (MS having eliminated most of the rest
of breed).

Now I'm retired I looked at Libreoffice (on the recommendation of this
group). I still have to share .doc files with former colleagues, in a
joint project, but I haven't had any serious problems at all. 99% of
all documents are simple text files, with a bit of embellishment, which
LibreOffice handles perfectly (and re-exports without complaint).


I've just selected "New ->" in the LibreOffice menu, and it offers Text
Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Drawing, Formula and ... Database.

[Caveat: I know nothing about databases.]

Best of luck
John

Martin S Taylor

unread,
Nov 8, 2021, 6:13:29 AM11/8/21
to
On Nov 7, 2021, Pd wrote
(in article<1pia6p6.qp4yqrq1ismcN%phing...@gmail.not>):

> > Versions of FM earlier than 19 will run under Monterey, and aren't that hard
> > to pick up. I mangaged to get a copy of FM 17 for considerably less than
> > £518; maybe that's the solution for you?
>
> Yes, I've been thinking that might be one option.
> Can you say where you 'managed to get a copy' from?

Drop me a line.

MST

Pd

unread,
Nov 23, 2021, 6:49:20 AM11/23/21
to
Another John <lal...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've just selected "New ->" in the LibreOffice menu, and it offers Text
> Document, Spreadsheet, Presentation, Drawing, Formula and ... Database.

Worth a look - thanks John.

David Kennedy

unread,
Dec 19, 2021, 2:12:44 AM12/19/21
to
Did it work?

I'm in a similar situation with a handful of legacy files that it would be
nice to convert into something I could read without shelling out the full cost
of filemaker.

Surely there must be something that will read old filemaker files?

Steve Carrolll - fretwizen

unread,
Dec 22, 2021, 8:52:56 AM12/22/21
to
Sheer hooey by an ignorant, fabricating, deceitful, co-trolling donkey
who couldn't tell the truth even if he swore on his mother's grave.

David claimed the verbiage were entirely consistent with many of the
nyms. Well, why is he having such a struggle backing his statement up
when asked to do so? That is, if his statement was supportable, and not
just a trolling attempt to come to Peelers rescue? Search for 'functionally
illiterate fraud' and Dustin Cook is on the first page: <https://www.bing.com/search?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud>.
The 1-423-491-1448 number belongs to Dustin Cook. Use that one when you
make prank calls with David's confirmed lies about him. These degenerates
get their enjoyment out of provoking responses to their attacks, which
is the very definition of a troll.

--
This Trick Gets Women Hot For You!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+the+narcissistic+bigot
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Dustin%20Cook%20functional%20illiterate%20fraud
Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages