Works outing

Martin S Taylor

Oct 24, 2021, 3:39:26 PM10/24/21
This is the time of year when we arrange a meal together. Traditionally we
realise that although it's supposed to be the 2nd Friday in November, not
enough of us can make that date and so we agree to meet up on some other day.

This year it's me who can't make the 2nd Friday (I'm performing in what
promises to be a rather excellent concert in St James's, Piccadilly), but I
am (depressingly) free for most of the rest of the winter.

Two years ago we met in the M*rk*t* and decided it had lost a good deal of
its appeal. Last year we met on Zoom, and I thought it was rather good, since
it allowed people from all over the UK and beyond to attend. Indeed, David
Empson said he would have come if we'd told him about it.

Anyway, what thoughts/interest for this year?

Martin S Taylor

(P.S. If anyone is interested, here's the details for the concert:

<https://www.classicalevents.co.uk/concerts/st-jamess-church-piccadilly/12-
november-2021/19-00/musical-garlands>

Let me know if you want to be there, and I'll see about discount tickets.)

Chris Ridd

Oct 28, 2021, 11:58:31 AM10/28/21
On 24/10/2021 20:39, Martin S Taylor wrote:
> This is the time of year when we arrange a meal together. Traditionally we
> realise that although it's supposed to be the 2nd Friday in November, not
> enough of us can make that date and so we agree to meet up on some other day.
>
> This year it's me who can't make the 2nd Friday (I'm performing in what
> promises to be a rather excellent concert in St James's, Piccadilly), but I
> am (depressingly) free for most of the rest of the winter.
>
> Two years ago we met in the M*rk*t* and decided it had lost a good deal of
> its appeal. Last year we met on Zoom, and I thought it was rather good, since
> it allowed people from all over the UK and beyond to attend. Indeed, David
> Empson said he would have come if we'd told him about it.
>
> Anyway, what thoughts/interest for this year?

In its favour the M*rk*t* is pretty reachable. Didn't we go somewhere
near Goldhawk Rd once upon a time?

--
Chris

Martin S Taylor

Oct 28, 2021, 12:06:23 PM10/28/21
On 28 Oct 2021, Chris Ridd wrote
(in article <slehb5$ojb$2...@dont-email.me>):

> In its favour the M*rk*t* is pretty reachable.

For you, maybe. I’m in Surrey, and it’s a pig to get to!
> Didn't we go somewhere
> near Goldhawk Rd once upon a time?

Yes, when the Mac User fair (or whatever it was called) was in a convention
centre near there.

I quite enjoyed it on Zoom last year, as many who are not London-based (or
even UK-based) were able to attend.

On the other hand, given how long it’s taken this post to attract even one
reply...

MST

Chris Ridd

Oct 28, 2021, 4:13:30 PM10/28/21
On 28/10/2021 17:06, Martin S Taylor wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2021, Chris Ridd wrote
> (in article <slehb5$ojb$2...@dont-email.me>):
>
>> In its favour the M*rk*t* is pretty reachable.
>
> For you, maybe. I’m in Surrey, and it’s a pig to get to!

I'm in SW London, but at least Kings Cross is gettable to. I wouldn't
mind something nearer though.

--
Chris

Liz Tuddenham

Oct 28, 2021, 5:44:15 PM10/28/21
Here's another reply:

I enjoyed the Zoom meeting last year despite being in audio only (which
was probably a Good Thing from the viewpoint of everyone else). If it
is done that way again this year I would be pleased to join in, but
meeting in a London restaurant would not be feasible for me.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Bob Campbell

Oct 29, 2021, 12:30:30 AM10/29/21
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

Do you actually think that is clever?

Congratulations. You just gave out your email address to the entire
planet.

D.M. Procida

Oct 29, 2021, 5:05:28 AM10/29/21
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, given how long it's taken this post to attract even one
> reply...

Sorry Martin. I appreciate your effort in keeping this going.

My appetite both for travel for social occasions, and for video-based
get-togethers, is rather low at the moment.

There will come a time... - as we have been saying for about 18 months
now.

Daniele

John

Oct 29, 2021, 12:47:13 PM10/29/21
On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 20:39:24 +0100, Martin S Taylor
<corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

>This is the time of year when we arrange a meal together. Traditionally we
>realise that although it's supposed to be the 2nd Friday in November, not
>enough of us can make that date and so we agree to meet up on some other day.
>
>This year it's me who can't make the 2nd Friday (I'm performing in what
>promises to be a rather excellent concert in St James's, Piccadilly),

Hint: the group's WO could be something like: Assemble, go to that
concert, see Mr. T. perform, re-assemble, go for eats and stuff.

No?

>but I
>am (depressingly) free for most of the rest of the winter.
>
>Two years ago we met in the M*rk*t* and decided it had lost a good deal of
>its appeal. Last year we met on Zoom, and I thought it was rather good, since
>it allowed people from all over the UK and beyond to attend. Indeed, David
>Empson said he would have come if we'd told him about it.
>
>Anyway, what thoughts/interest for this year?

Somewhere in Devon, maybe? Devon's nice and it ain't London.

>Martin S Taylor
>
>(P.S. If anyone is interested, here's the details for the concert:
>
><https://www.classicalevents.co.uk/concerts/st-jamess-church-piccadilly/12-
>november-2021/19-00/musical-garlands>
>
>Let me know if you want to be there, and I'll see about discount tickets.)

Cool, that would be very nice of you, thank you.

:)

John

Oct 29, 2021, 12:47:38 PM10/29/21
It just turned up in my feed right about now.
J.

>MST

Felix Mottram

Oct 29, 2021, 2:13:35 PM10/29/21
M*rk*t* may have had historic connections but I don't think that they have any
real memory of a small party booking once a year early in November...

While not ever having been a major contributor to UKSM I would be keen to meet
up socially once again if possible!

It is clear though that many of the old team have not appeared recently!
--
Felix

Sara Merriman

Oct 30, 2021, 7:22:45 AM10/30/21
I don't think we can do actual meet ups at the moment, but I'd be up for a
Zoom this year.
--
Spike is a sturdy birdy

Martin S Taylor

Oct 30, 2021, 7:51:03 AM10/30/21
On 30 Oct 2021, Sara Merriman wrote
(in article <7W9fJ.87467$oa97....@fx01.ams4>):
Is that ‘we’ you and Rog, or ‘we’ the population as a whole?

MST

Martin S Taylor

Oct 30, 2021, 1:36:39 PM10/30/21
On 29 Oct 2021, John wrote
(in article<n29ong93a7n0v18kp...@4ax.com>):

> > (P.S. If anyone is interested, here's the details for the concert:
> >
> > <https://www.classicalevents.co.uk/concerts/st-jamess-church-piccadilly/12-
> > november-2021/19-00/musical-garlands>
> >
> > Let me know if you want to be there, and I'll see about discount tickets.)
>
> Cool, that would be very nice of you, thank you.

If you’re serious about this, drop me a line privately.

MST

Sara Merriman

Nov 1, 2021, 6:03:33 AM11/1/21
On 30 Oct 2021 at 11:51:01 BST, "Martin S Taylor"
I meant me and Rog :)