Apple event, Monday 18th October

D.M. Procida

Oct 12, 2021, 12:17:24 PM10/12/21
https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.

For me, not a moment too soon!

Daniele

Richard Tobin

Oct 12, 2021, 2:20:04 PM10/12/21
In article <1pgy58j.k0fi0iisn6lpN%real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk>,
I'm looking forward to them not having touchbars. And perhaps they
will have got over their port-minimalism.

-- Richard

David Kennedy

Oct 13, 2021, 4:40:16 AM10/13/21
But it's a Monday!

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Oct 13, 2021, 7:01:06 AM10/13/21
On 13 Oct 2021 at 09:40:14 BST, "David Kennedy"
<davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> On 12/10/2021 17:17, D.M. Procida wrote:
>> https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
>> posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
>> hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.
>>
>> For me, not a moment too soon!
>>
>> Daniele
>>

> But it's a Monday!

That's what I said, but it's an official announce so... Maybe the coffee
machine has run out of grounds?

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Homeopaths suffer from dilutions of grandeur

nospam

Oct 13, 2021, 7:04:41 AM10/13/21
In article <t9udnVfgg6PzBvv8...@brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> But it's a Monday!

google has an event on tuesday.

D.M. Procida

Oct 13, 2021, 8:25:58 AM10/13/21
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 13 Oct 2021 at 09:40:14 BST, "David Kennedy"
> <davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:
>
> > On 12/10/2021 17:17, D.M. Procida wrote:
> >> https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
> >> posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
> >> hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.
> >>
> >> For me, not a moment too soon!
> >>
> >> Daniele
> >>

> > But it's a Monday!
>
> That's what I said, but it's an official announce so... Maybe the coffee
> machine has run out of grounds?

Fingers crossed that the world has not run out of microchips or the
Brexit has run out of lorry drivers; I really hope to have my hands on
one as soon as I possibly can.

I've been on 16GB RAM/512GB SSD since 2014. I think it's probably worth
upgrading both those, though in reality upgrading RAM is more about
future-proofing against software bloat than immediate need.

Daniele

Mark

Oct 13, 2021, 9:10:51 AM10/13/21
It’s been suggested <ahem> ;) that the new MBPs will have a row of
scissor-switch function keys, and five full-width touchbars…
<https://imgur.com/a/2TZIGw0>

--
Cheers ... Mark

Michael Glasser

Oct 13, 2021, 1:33:00 PM10/13/21
Rbowman continues to repeat the doxing accusation he wrote about me, even
after Snit directly posted that he lied about it. Rbowman writes all kinds
of drivel, don't use that boob as a reference. Lines of text containing
quotes you somehow recognize but can not place. Rbowman suffers from senile
drug trips so, to him, everything, even treating him as he treats others,
are "attacks". Who *doesn't* know this?

I've been reading a bit from some of those old threads he was previously
being called out on his lies. I noticed that many of those he would go
out of his way to frequently attack had comprehensive electronics knowledge.
I did not find many who were also proficient in the scripting side of things,
or were also trained as an technician along with various aspects of IT;
with the paperwork to back it all up, too. Rbowman and Snit both lie ceaselessly
and outrageously and continue to do so. So no incentive in showing any
further care or honor.

His hope is to see me annoyed by killing of any discussion. And hey, that
could work.

--
This Trick Gets Women Hot For You
https://swisscows.com/web?query=dustin%20cook%20%22functionally%20illiterate%20fraud%22

Michael Glasser

Oct 13, 2021, 1:49:19 PM10/13/21
The complete sham is full of goofy gaps and counts heavily on Snit Glasser
Michael's 'master's degree' claim. The bulk of the people in this group
do application development either as entertainment or as a trade, so I
doubt more than a few thinks of writing macros to be "voodoo".

I am about to just bin him, myself. Like all trolls, he is always looking
for some way to criticize, no matter how silly the charge. I will not
read his response to this post. He is angry, wants to blame others, and
will fly off the handle. Most likely beginning with a dismissive "Ha!",
as if what I have written is _so_ absurd. That BADish "response" was about
the last straw, for me.

It should not matter because the apparent origin on a post does not matter,
we know it is from the flooder anyway. The content clearly is a bunch
of Snit Glasser Michael-like crap. Only glue sniffing would lead to that.
So what is Snit Glasser Michael's poison for the flooding deluge? FileMaker?
That is the only tool he knows, and it is a joke. He must be programming
it to create these annoying "obsession" posts. My theory, Snit Glasser
Michael took a PGP program that he hacked and pretended was his... he's
feeding it Google Groups data, grabbing "special" paragraphs, then altering
those using automated reinforcement learning and then he directly posts
them because his insanity enables him to do that almost nonstop.

-
Do not click this link!!!
<https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/results?name=4234911448&Diesel&Gremlin&Dustin_Cook>
Steve Carroll the Narcissistic Bigot

Chris Ridd

Oct 13, 2021, 3:54:25 PM10/13/21
On 13/10/2021 13:25, D.M. Procida wrote:
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Oct 2021 at 09:40:14 BST, "David Kennedy"
>> <davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

>>> But it's a Monday!
>>
>> That's what I said, but it's an official announce so... Maybe the coffee
>> machine has run out of grounds?

Google have some sort of release announcement on Tuesday, and it makes
sense not to clash.

> Fingers crossed that the world has not run out of microchips or the
> Brexit has run out of lorry drivers; I really hope to have my hands on
> one as soon as I possibly can.

Well they've managed to train 20 more drivers, so no worries there.

> I've been on 16GB RAM/512GB SSD since 2014. I think it's probably worth
> upgrading both those, though in reality upgrading RAM is more about
> future-proofing against software bloat than immediate need.

The whole "M1 needs less memory because, er, unified memory" thing seems
to be a load of balls. Maybe it can page faster to the SSD, but there's
still no substitute for more RAM.

--
Chris

nospam

Oct 13, 2021, 5:55:22 PM10/13/21
In article <sk7dhg$3j7$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com>
wrote:

> The whole "M1 needs less memory because, er, unified memory" thing seems
> to be a load of balls.

it's very much true.

> Maybe it can page faster to the SSD, but there's
> still no substitute for more RAM.

m1 uses it more efficiently, thus less is needed for a given task.

Stephen - fretwizen

Oct 13, 2021, 10:22:46 PM10/13/21
Now that nobody is speaking to Snit buddy chrisv, he's making it sound
like he's proved he knows electronics -- when in fact, people are just
not playing his game anymore. You've proven nothing.

For my idea of working towards cordiality, it appears that in order
for Snit Michael Glasser to do that, he has to give Snit buddy chrisv
a free pass for every single dishonest post he's made about Snit Michael
Glasser, and discount every single bullshit lie he's posted about Snit
Michael Glasser as well.

--
Puppy Videos
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud

The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Oct 14, 2021, 4:12:53 AM10/14/21
On Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 12:54:25 PM UTC-7, Chris Ridd wrote:
Nobody gets it, only The Flying Spaghetti Monster gets it. "Somewhere
between 1999 or 2005 I trusted The Flying Spaghetti Monster, the absolutely
laughable liar" - Snit Glasser Michael.

Socks that Snit Glasser Michael can't prove are The Flying Spaghetti
Monster's. Why would I, or anyone, need socks to reveal what we all often
say about Snit Glasser Michael?

I'm not going to play like The Flying Spaghetti Monster didn't aid me
with this crap and I am thankful for his guidance. Snit Glasser Michael
has my posts to copy and should start to at least pretend he knows something
about it from here on... as always he missed that opportunity when it
mattered ;)

In Snit Glasser Michael's case, I, and many "forgers", had pointed to
things Snit Glasser Michael said and did, he denied them. What Snit Glasser
Michael did not deny was people actually posting what I noted, which is
how he ended up with his list, as you know.

--
E-commerce Simplified
https://search.givewater.com/serp?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22

David Kennedy

Oct 14, 2021, 6:28:58 AM10/14/21
On 13/10/2021 13:25, D.M. Procida wrote:

> Fingers crossed that the world has not run out of microchips or the
> Brexit has run out of lorry drivers; I really hope to have my hands on
> one as soon as I possibly can.

We're safe on lorry drivers. According to the Daily Mail, as of Wednesday, the
Home Office has processed "more than 20 applications"

David Kennedy

Oct 14, 2021, 6:30:23 AM10/14/21
And?

Chris Ridd

Oct 14, 2021, 7:24:33 AM10/14/21
On 14/10/2021 11:28, David Kennedy wrote:
> On 13/10/2021 13:25, D.M. Procida wrote:
>>
>> Fingers crossed that the world has not run out of microchips or the
>> Brexit has run out of lorry drivers; I really hope to have my hands on
>> one as soon as I possibly can.
>>
> We're safe on lorry drivers. According to the Daily Mail, as of
> Wednesday, the Home Office has processed "more than 20 applications"

I've no idea what that dreadful organ wrote - presumably there was an
hgv drivers cause cancer article in the same issue - but the source was
an interview with Oliver Dowden on LBC. Roughly speaking:

* we're short of 100,000 drivers
* there have been about 300 applicants
* only about 20 have been approved.

Trebles all round then?

--
Chris

nospam

Oct 14, 2021, 7:46:29 AM10/14/21
In article <EtOdnbmUw_ogm_X8...@brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> >> But it's a Monday!
> >
> > google has an event on tuesday.
> >
> And?

it would be dumb for apple to also have an event on the same day.

whisky-dave

Oct 14, 2021, 9:24:27 AM10/14/21
On Thursday, 14 October 2021 at 11:28:58 UTC+1, David Kennedy wrote:
> On 13/10/2021 13:25, D.M. Procida wrote:
> >
> > Fingers crossed that the world has not run out of microchips or the
> > Brexit has run out of lorry drivers; I really hope to have my hands on
> > one as soon as I possibly can.
> >
> We're safe on lorry drivers. According to the Daily Mail, as of Wednesday, the
> Home Office has processed "more than 20 applications"

Yeah and now the DLVC (or whatever they now call themselves) will take 3 months
to process the licences for the drivers.

https://www.cityam.com/hgv-applicants-waiting-three-months-for-licence-test/

Graeme Wall

Oct 14, 2021, 10:01:39 AM10/14/21
Or longer, the DVLA is looking at strike action over the mishandling of
covid precautions.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Stephen - fretwizzen

Oct 14, 2021, 9:15:52 PM10/14/21
Gee, what was your first hintadoodle? The ones which claimed it was and
that are obviously using faulty heuristics to make the resolution, or was
it something else? Please do be definitive.

Ishtar just wiped the floor with Despicable Owl. Search for 'functionally
illiterate fraud' and Dustin Cook's name pop up: <https://www.google.com/search?q=Dustin+Cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud>.

--
This broke the Internet
https://gibiru.com/results.html?q=Dustin+Cook+%22functional+illiterate+fraud%22
https://search.givewater.com/serp?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22
Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis

Stefen - fretwizzen

Oct 15, 2021, 3:24:39 AM10/15/21
He is obviously lying, he got scared and he's doing the familiar defensive
buffoonery learned in Intro to Trolling classes as he attempts to hang
on to a hint of legitimacy... but it won't work.

I think the point is more than to get people to listen to him. The point
is likely to piss me off for trolling outside groups he knows I frequent.

Alan B and Shadow both lie nonstop and shamelessly and continue to do
so. So no point in showing any further courtesy or control.

I can not understand that. Ignorance is ignorance and there are "advocates"
who are fine with it. Too many are even programmers.

It was Alan B who stated that he and his college buddies used to steal
people's mail all the time and it was no big deal. Shadow has been here
to fully see the depths of Alan B's depravity. How Alan B decides when
to use the flood script to disrupt discussions best http://usenet.sandman.net/misc/snit_flood.

--
Top Ten Ways Alan B Trolls
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+the+narcissistic+bigot

Stephen Carrolll - frelwizer

Oct 15, 2021, 8:12:04 AM10/15/21
I'm about to KF him, myself. Like all idiots, he's continually looking
for some way to blame, no matter how goofy the accusation. I will not listen
to his response to this post. He's embarrassed, wants to protect what is
left of his honor, and will berate. Most likely leading-off with a dismissive
"*plonk*", as if what I have written is _so_ hard to understand. That BADish
"strategy" was it, for me. How long has this debate been going on? Another
pint you mean, Toasty drinks them down damn quick.

It was Toasty who flooded John Gohde's site millions of times and pretended
he did not do it.
Gremlin Dustin Cook:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=gremlin+dustin+cook>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=gremlin+dustin+cook>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gremlin+dustin+cook>

Functionally Illiterate Fraud:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=functionally+illiterate+fraud>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=functionally+illiterate+fraud>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=functionally+illiterate+fraud>

Steve Carroll Petruzzellis:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+carroll+petruzzellis>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=steve+carroll+petruzzellis>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=steve+carroll+petruzzellis>

Narcissistic Bigot:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=narcissistic+bigot>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=narcissistic+bigot>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=narcissistic+bigot>

John Gohde's computer has more hard drives than Toasty's. John Gohde wins.
Toasty loses. Simple as that.

Why would John Gohde need flood bots? He's the one who supplies facts
for his side of the "arguments".

--
Eight things to never feed your cat
<http://web.archive.org/web/20200911090505/https://www.usphonebook.com/dustin-

Stefen Carroll - fretwizer 2439

Oct 16, 2021, 6:47:34 AM10/16/21
Rod Speed showed himself to be a sophist by having the pretense to not
debate Snit through blatantly proclaiming *plonk* and then berating him
anyhow via another poster.

Everyone is Rod Speed -- the oldest gag in the book. I am an obsessed
fan of Native irc clients, because that's where all the thrilling programming
is happening.

All joking aside, what lie?

--
Curious how these posts are made? http://usenet.sandman.net/misc/postingtimes/Snit/Flooding

Stephen Carroll - frelwizer

Oct 16, 2021, 8:54:16 AM10/16/21
Steve "Steven Petruzzellis" Carroll's obsession with Prescott Computer Guy
started in 2004 when Carroll got mad about his then girlfriend obsessing
over Prescott Computer Guy (heavily documented here: <http://tinyurl.com/proof-
about-ebot>). Prescott Computer Guy continued to respond to Steve for about
5 years, when Steve flipped out in 2009 and started contacting Prescott Computer
Guy's employer with the stated goal to have him fired (he spoke of doing
so even if he had to twist arms):

<http://goo.gl/OHNryA>
<http://goo.gl/MZ6yCD>
<http://goo.gl/WaKKGq>

There were more, but Carroll has had them deleted from the Google archive.
I have not spent the time to find them elsewhere (and likely will not).

With that Prescott Computer Guy stopped responding directly to Steve except
for *one* chance he gave him in 2011 when Steve was accusing *Prescott Computer
Guy* of running: <http://goo.gl/racU64>.

Carroll, as predicted, ran (he always does when faced with facts):
<http://goo.gl/qHs5Xh>

Steven Petruzzellis knows he has no backing for any of his nonsense and
has become, if anything, more and more obsessive since Prescott Computer
Guy stopped responding to him.

Steve "Steven Petruzzellis" Carroll is truly a very, very sick man.

--
Get Rich Slow
https://www.prescotthouse.com/professional-staff/

Stephen Carroll - frelwizer

Oct 16, 2021, 1:27:00 PM10/16/21
It is the same pattern that happens in every group Despicable Owl infects.

What's the world coming to when a Despicable Owl shill can not get any
notice? I think we have two different perspectives entirely. It's a long
war, and Despicable Owl is simultaneously unable to stop his trolling remarks,
while posting with forgeries of Snit.

--
Eight things to never feed your dog!
https://search.givewater.com/serp?q=%22functional%20illiterate%20fraud%22

STALKING_TARGET_85

Oct 16, 2021, 8:38:17 PM10/16/21
What Windows looks like is the least of your problems and is no big deal,
especially if it's approved by RMS. Awhile back I did work on and showed
some JavaScript for the front end (only works on my computer) which is the
only thing you can do when trying to avoid Snit / Snot's narcissistic crap
while reading with Google Groups.

My uptime is almost thirty-one weeks and that is just how I roll. He is
a pinhead - advocates have kill filtered his socks. What he really should
use is a script that keeps switching names, then flood posts have a chance
at being half as repetitive as he is.

I am about to KF him, myself. Like all jerks, he is repeatably looking for
some way to abuse, no matter how silly the allegation. I will not see his
response to this post. He is embarrassed, wants to protect what is left of
his honor, and will lash out. Most likely starting with a cocky "*plonk*",
as if what I have written is SO hard to understand. That BADish "approach"
was the final stroke, for me.

--
Top Six Ways Snit / Snot Trolls!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22FUNCTIONAL%20ILLITERATE%20FRAUD%22

D.M. Procida

Oct 18, 2021, 5:30:33 AM10/18/21
Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's been suggested <ahem> ;) that the new MBPs will have a row of
> scissor-switch function keys, and five full-width touchbars…
> <https://imgur.com/a/2TZIGw0>

The rumour-mill is getting pleasingly wilder. The latest is that there
might be an iPhone-style camera notch in the top of the display. Sadly
there are only a few hours left before the great reveal, so not much
time for new fevered speculation or outraged horror in the meantime.

Daniele

jbrennand

Oct 18, 2021, 10:42:09 AM10/18/21
On 12/10/2021 17:17, D.M. Procida wrote:
> https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
> posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
> hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.
>
> For me, not a moment too soon!
>
> Daniele

Store is down for updates now........

D.M. Procida

Oct 18, 2021, 1:07:37 PM10/18/21
Holy shit, it's really going to take the edge off the excitement if I'm
going to have to hear much more of this crap about "listening to music
with your voice" (what?).

Amongst the things that light up my life, playlists curated by
billion-dollar corporations do not feature at all.

Daniele

D.M. Procida

Oct 18, 2021, 1:28:31 PM10/18/21
Also, why do all these Apple men seem to be bandy-legged? Are they
suffering from constipation? Hev they installled badly-fitting wearable
technology products in their pants? They look very uncomfortable.

Daniele

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Oct 18, 2021, 2:11:55 PM10/18/21
On 12 Oct 2021 at 17:17:22 BST, "D.M. Procida" <D.M. Procida> wrote:

> https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
> posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
> hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.

They look very very fancy. Glad I got the M1 MBP13 last year, else I'd
be scrabbling down the back of the sofa for something 2.5 times as
expensive (and 3.5 times as fast)

The new M1 Pro (essentially M1 doubled) and Max (M1 tripled and then
quadrupled RAM+GPU) are very pleasing devices. Still giving no clues as
to how the Mac Pro is going to handle 1Tb RAM.

Laptops with MagSafe, SD and HDMI (and three USBC), no touchbar, doubled
battery life from Intel, and really nice screens. Except with a camera
notch, which is... interesting.

No colours - silver and dark silver.

I'll be more interested in whether that micro-LED 120Hz VRR screen comes
to the smaller, cheaper models. Maybe they'll ditch the low end MBP that
I have next round, too - just have Airs? It doesn't make much sense for
them to keep it. And give the Airs all the colours, in the new iMac
style.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I always wanted to be someone. I should have been more specific.
-- Lily Tomlin

Richard Tobin

Oct 18, 2021, 3:45:05 PM10/18/21
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:
>https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
>posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
>hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.

No new minis though, it seems.

-- Richard

Chris

Oct 18, 2021, 4:45:14 PM10/18/21
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jai...@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2021 at 17:17:22 BST, "D.M. Procida" <D.M. Procida> wrote:
>
>> https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
>> posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
>> hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.
>
> They look very very fancy. Glad I got the M1 MBP13 last year, else I'd
> be scrabbling down the back of the sofa for something 2.5 times as
> expensive (and 3.5 times as fast)

I'm also glad but that's because it's the ideal machine for me. Except for
MagSafe. It's great to see it back.

The specs of the new machines are gratuitous! :D

> The new M1 Pro (essentially M1 doubled) and Max (M1 tripled and then
> quadrupled RAM+GPU) are very pleasing devices. Still giving no clues as
> to how the Mac Pro is going to handle 1Tb RAM.

They've fooled all the predictions for the new names.

Does that mean the next gen will be M2/Pro/Max? Three tiers is probably
enough.

> Laptops with MagSafe, SD and HDMI (and three USBC), no touchbar, doubled
> battery life from Intel, and really nice screens.

I doubt the 13" Pro will exist beyond next year. The touch bar will also
die.

> Except with a camera
> notch, which is... interesting.

I wonder why there is still no FaceID?

> No colours - silver and dark silver.
>
> I'll be more interested in whether that micro-LED 120Hz VRR screen comes
> to the smaller, cheaper models. Maybe they'll ditch the low end MBP that
> I have next round, too - just have Airs? It doesn't make much sense for
> them to keep it. And give the Airs all the colours, in the new iMac
> style.

Yup.

> Cheers - Jaimie

Bruce Horrocks

Oct 18, 2021, 4:45:21 PM10/18/21
On 12/10/2021 17:17, D.M. Procida wrote:
> https://www.apple.com refers to an event on 18th October - no details
> posted there yet, but it seems likely that this is when we're going to
> hear about the long-awaited updates to the MacBook Pro models.

I wondered why all measurements were given in Imperial except the
thickness of the Macbook pro which was in millimetres?

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Ian McCall

Oct 18, 2021, 7:42:44 PM10/18/21
On 18 Oct 2021, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
(in article <it5rn8...@mid.individual.net>):

> Laptops with MagSafe, SD and HDMI (and three USBC), no touchbar, doubled
> battery life from Intel, and really nice screens. Except with a camera
> notch, which is... interesting.

...and 8Tb storage. I’m using 3.2Tb on mine right now, though could
probably trim.

I’m debating it but will probably side with “skip a year”. I’d like
the new toys and it’s clearly a great machine but there’s nothing I'm
really missing with this Core i9 right now so...yep.

I’m also debating just getting a drastically cheaper Mini and using
external storage - I’ve changed how I do music a bit since getting this and
am trying my hand at real analogue synths, as opposed to software. That means
I’ve set up a music desk and all the music kit is pretty much in a fixed
location, which potentially changes what machine I need. A Mini and an Air
might be enough in M1land for me, although the screen size of the 16” is a
draw it must be said.

Cheers,
Ian

D.M. Procida

Oct 19, 2021, 3:49:48 AM10/19/21
Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:

> I'm also debating just getting a drastically cheaper Mini and using
> external storage - I've changed how I do music a bit since getting this and
> am trying my hand at real analogue synths, as opposed to software. That means
> I've set up a music desk and all the music kit is pretty much in a fixed
> location, which potentially changes what machine I need. A Mini and an Air
> might be enough in M1land for me, although the screen size of the 16" is a
> draw it must be said.

I've just ordered my 16" MacBook Pro, with 1TB storage. Fingers crossed
that the 16GB RAM I've had since 2014 will continue to be enough for
another seven and a half years or so!

I would like to have a smaller machine, and maybe a 14" screen is close
enough to the 15" I use right now to be adequate - but I think the extra
display size will make life more comfortable, enough to make up for the
inconvenience of a larger machine.

Daniele

Chris Ridd

Oct 19, 2021, 3:51:52 AM10/19/21
On 18/10/2021 18:28, D.M. Procida wrote:
> Also, why do all these Apple men seem to be bandy-legged? Are they
> suffering from constipation? Hev they installled badly-fitting wearable
> technology products in their pants? They look very uncomfortable.

Tim Cook in particular kept flexing his knees in a very peculiar and
distracting way. Maybe there is a new "evening all" policeman's mode
coming to Apple Watch?

--
Chris

Chris Ridd

Oct 19, 2021, 3:58:14 AM10/19/21
"Now only 1/16th of a chain thin!"

Doesn't work for me. I guess they could use 'thou's or 'mil's but that
wouldn't work for many either.

The new screen profile reminds me a lot of the old TiBooks. Actually the
dark-on-dark keyboards do too.

--
Chris

D.M. Procida

Oct 19, 2021, 4:37:50 AM10/19/21
I think they were standing with their legs so far apart that they were
rendered immobile, and had to perform a kind of little jump if they
wanted to be able to start moving to some other position.

Or maybe you're right. Perhaps they have been rehearsing for the Pirates
of Penzance?

Daniele

Smit

Oct 19, 2021, 5:40:31 AM10/19/21
So he changed his story to Alan B posting about his business. I have known
grade school kids who argue better than Snit Glasser Michael does. Recently
I did work on and showed some Perl for the front end (only works on high
end systems) which is the only thing you can do when trying to avoid Snit
Glasser Michael's kiddie crap while reading with Google Groups. Open source
is only inexpensive if your time has no value. It was Snit Glasser Michael
who forged me (and Alan B) and bragged about it.

--
Get Rich Slow
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+the+narcissistic+bigot

Chris Ridd

Oct 19, 2021, 6:15:11 AM10/19/21
On 19/10/2021 08:49, D.M. Procida wrote:
> Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm also debating just getting a drastically cheaper Mini and using
>> external storage - I've changed how I do music a bit since getting this and
>> am trying my hand at real analogue synths, as opposed to software. That means
>> I've set up a music desk and all the music kit is pretty much in a fixed
>> location, which potentially changes what machine I need. A Mini and an Air
>> might be enough in M1land for me, although the screen size of the 16" is a
>> draw it must be said.
>
> I've just ordered my 16" MacBook Pro, with 1TB storage. Fingers crossed
> that the 16GB RAM I've had since 2014 will continue to be enough for
> another seven and a half years or so!

Nice! The bottom end 16 inch model "Pro" looks like the right spec for
me too. I'm not convinced the extra GPU cores you get from the "Max" are
worthwhile - a 32GB RAM upgrade might be more effective. Hard to say.

--
Chris

Richard Tobin

Oct 19, 2021, 7:05:05 AM10/19/21
In article <skltqk$hjn$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

>"Now only 1/16th of a chain thin!"

That's thicker than a PDP/11 !

-- Richard

Chris Ridd

Oct 19, 2021, 12:04:25 PM10/19/21
Is it? American units are unintuitive and make no sense to me, so I
might have got the scale wrong. Furlongs?

--
Chris

Ian McCall

Oct 19, 2021, 12:12:25 PM10/19/21
On 19 Oct 2021, Alan B wrote
(in article<skm8vu$r00$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>):

> Alan B<alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
> “Apple has admitted defeat on the Safari design changes that have been
> present for the entire macOS Monterey beta, and the release candidate that
> was provided to developers today reverts to the old style that was
> available prior to Safari 15.”
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/18/macos-monterey-reverts-safari-changes/>
>
> Don’t all applaud at once ;)

I think I called it something like “utterly appalling and with no redeeming
features”. I completely stand by that assessment, so I’m happy.

Apparently it had something extra with tab grouping or similar, but I’ve
never looked into it. Definite case of fixing what wasn’t broken, although
on iOS I can see the case for a preference around URL bar top or bottom.

Cheers,
Ian

Richard Tobin

Oct 19, 2021, 3:40:06 PM10/19/21
In article <skmqa7$mam$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

>>> "Now only 1/16th of a chain thin!"

>> That's thicker than a PDP/11 !

>Is it? American units are unintuitive and make no sense to me, so I
>might have got the scale wrong. Furlongs?

A chain is 22 yards (almost exactly 20 metres). A furlong is 10 chains.

A sixteenth of a chain is of course equal to a quarter of a rod, pole,
or perch.

In fact, the new 14" Macbook Pro is about 257 mole barn dioptres thick.

-- Richard

Graham J

Oct 20, 2021, 4:18:56 AM10/20/21
Richard Tobin wrote:

[snip]

> A sixteenth of a chain is of course equal to a quarter of a rod, pole,
> or perch.

But a perch is a fish! Confused ....

--
Graham J

Graeme Wall

Oct 20, 2021, 4:39:48 AM10/20/21
That's why you need a rod.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Chris

Oct 20, 2021, 5:34:10 AM10/20/21
Reminds me of the joke where two birds are sat on a perch. One turns to the
other, "Can you smell fish?"

Steve Carrolll - frelwizzer

Oct 20, 2021, 8:45:48 AM10/20/21
Snit Glasser Michael would never deny the flooder is Nospam, who is a
demonstrable Automator user but I don't know if it could be used to get
by Google's spam filters.

Nospam expects people to believe that a poster such as Snit Glasser Michael
who he has frequently declared to be a liar is someone to 'respect'? Why
can he assume people are that stupid?

Seriously, what lie?

That's what Nospam does when he gets mad. He quickly creates a nym, starts
a new thread so he can claim here made a mistake. Hey it was my left hand...
and then Nospam talks to it with his right hand. Is Snit Glasser Michael
envious about Nospam having five peer reviews papers warning people about
what he is, vs the single one he earned?

Not only did Snit Glasser Michael's request not allude to the "GPL",
it has nothing to do with UNIX. Nospam should stop mixing red and blue
pills ;)

--
This broke the Internet!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22

D.M. Procida

Oct 20, 2021, 12:08:40 PM10/20/21
I'm quite glad I didn't wait any longer before ordering - I checked
something today, and noticed that the lead times are now all getting
considerably longer.

Daniele

David Kennedy

Oct 21, 2021, 3:54:33 AM10/21/21
On 20/10/2021 17:08, D.M. Procida wrote:

> I'm quite glad I didn't wait any longer before ordering - I checked
> something today, and noticed that the lead times are now all getting
> considerably longer.

I ran into that when my bank managed to thwart my order...

They declined the payment while they contacted me to see if I really did want
to spend the money (Grrrr)

And, while I sorted them out the delivery time had gone from the 28th to
between the 6th and the 8th...

Still, I'm hoping that it will be a little more usable than the present 2010
16" I'm using. Still, as it was a refurb it probably doesn't really owe me a
great deal.

Chris

Oct 21, 2021, 4:53:00 AM10/21/21
David Kennedy <davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:
> On 20/10/2021 17:08, D.M. Procida wrote:
>>
>> I'm quite glad I didn't wait any longer before ordering - I checked
>> something today, and noticed that the lead times are now all getting
>> considerably longer.
>
> I ran into that when my bank managed to thwart my order...
>
> They declined the payment while they contacted me to see if I really did want
> to spend the money (Grrrr)

In my family I've noticed recently much more sensitive fraud detection by
the banks. I had it with an iPad purchase last month, my mum at Tescos and
my daughter buying a jacket online. All different banks but none were
particularly unusual purchases.

Also highlights the difference in CS between them. TSB is woeful.
Nationwide was convoluted and BoS was easy.

nospam

Oct 21, 2021, 6:09:23 AM10/21/21
In article <Q7ednZV26sslgez8...@brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> Still, I'm hoping that it will be a little more usable than the present 2010
> 16" I'm using. Still, as it was a refurb it probably doesn't really owe me a
> great deal.

there wasn't a 2010 16" macbook. either you meant 2020 16" or 2010 17".

David Kennedy

Oct 21, 2021, 8:06:47 AM10/21/21
Ooops, 15" of course.

D.M. Procida

Oct 29, 2021, 8:36:58 AM10/29/21
D.M. Procida <real-not-anti...@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm quite glad I didn't wait any longer before ordering - I checked
> something today, and noticed that the lead times are now all getting
> considerably longer.

My order, which was due in the week 19-26th November, has now apparently
been shipped and is expected for delivery on Thursday 6th November.

And that will represent the end of something like 26 years' use of
MacSOUP, and 23 years using PowerMail, which will be the biggest changes
for me.

Daniele

David Kennedy

Oct 30, 2021, 2:39:27 PM10/30/21
And it arrived yesterday! A sudden burst of speed!

I have to admit it looks gorgeous!
I went for space grey. Almost identical in size to my old 15" but with more
screen to look at.

I left it wrestling with migration assistant overnight and then set up time
machine once it was complete so, just starting to use it this evening.

Yes it was a little more than I would have wanted to pay but, God it's good!

The display is excellent and it processed my photo library in no time at all.
Can't give an exact timing as I went to make tea and it was done when I came back.

Looking forward to starting in on it Sunday.

Chris Ridd

Oct 30, 2021, 3:56:01 PM10/30/21
On 30/10/2021 19:39, David Kennedy wrote:
> On 21/10/2021 08:54, David Kennedy wrote:
>> On 20/10/2021 17:08, D.M. Procida wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm quite glad I didn't wait any longer before ordering - I checked
>>> something today, and noticed that the lead times are now all getting
>>> considerably longer.
>>
>> I ran into that when my bank managed to thwart my order...
>>
>> They declined the payment while they contacted me to see if I really
>> did want to spend the money (Grrrr)
>>
>> And, while I sorted them out the delivery time had gone from the 28th
>> to between the 6th and the 8th...
>>
>> Still, I'm hoping that it will be a little more usable than the
>> present 2010 16" I'm using. Still, as it was a refurb it probably
>> doesn't really owe me a great deal.
>>

> And it arrived yesterday! A sudden burst of speed!
>
> I have to admit it looks gorgeous!

I was playing with one in the local Apple Store today. Rather nice
indeed - and the screen edge looks *very* like the TiBoko's - but it was
quite hard to do anything that shows off its speed. Someone on ATP
suggested screensavers just showing HDR images might be a good screen demo.

> I went for space grey. Almost identical in size to my old 15" but with
> more screen to look at.

What spec did you go for?

The space grey finish can get nicks and scratches and show the
underlying aluminium colour. My 2016 work MBP had that, but Apple kindly
fixed all that when they replaced the keyboard + top case.

--
Chris

D.M. Procida

Nov 1, 2021, 7:53:05 AM11/1/21
Pft. And it arrived this morning (Monday 1st), without any warning.

Daniele

Chris Ridd

Nov 1, 2021, 8:07:26 AM11/1/21
That's unacceptable. Clearly you sent it back?

--
Chris

David Kennedy

Nov 3, 2021, 6:52:55 AM11/3/21
On 30/10/2021 20:55, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 30/10/2021 19:39, David Kennedy wrote:

>>> I ran into that when my bank managed to thwart my order...
>>>
>>> They declined the payment while they contacted me to see if I really did
>>> want to spend the money (Grrrr)
>>>
>>> And, while I sorted them out the delivery time had gone from the 28th to
>>> between the 6th and the 8th...
>>>
>>> Still, I'm hoping that it will be a little more usable than the present
>>> 2010 16" I'm using. Still, as it was a refurb it probably doesn't really
>>> owe me a great deal.
>>>

>> And it arrived yesterday! A sudden burst of speed!
>>
>> I have to admit it looks gorgeous!
>
> I was playing with one in the local Apple Store today. Rather nice indeed -
> and the screen edge looks *very* like the TiBoko's - but it was quite hard to
> do anything that shows off its speed. Someone on ATP suggested screensavers
> just showing HDR images might be a good screen demo.

It absolutely whizzed through importing my itunes library from an external
disc via wifi: ditto organising everything in Photo's which now seems to look
for duplicates although I haven't had a chance to investigate further since
seeing the notification. It was syncing with iCloud last time I checked.

>> I went for space grey. Almost identical in size to my old 15" but with more
>> screen to look at.
>
> What spec did you go for?

I thought F*** it and went for the M1 Plus with 32gb and 1Tb - spent a long
time trying to justify the M1 Max but couldn't really...

Just hoping it lasts as long as the last one.

> The space grey finish can get nicks and scratches and show the underlying
> aluminium colour. My 2016 work MBP had that, but Apple kindly fixed all that
> when they replaced the keyboard + top case.

Well, this is purely for home use so I'm hopeful.

David Kennedy

Nov 3, 2021, 6:54:57 AM11/3/21
I'd been looking at the Apple Store app for keyboard protectors and noticed
the updated delivery date so I had some warning. Although, having promised me
Monday delivery it arrived on Saturday...

Chris Ridd

Nov 3, 2021, 3:05:57 PM11/3/21
Ditto, I placed my order this morning. AFAICS the only differences
between the same spec Pro and Max are the memory bandwidths (200 vs 400
GB/s) and extra GPU cores on the Max. However it doesn't seem possible
in practice to actually get much past the 200 GB/s so I decided the Max
wasn't really worth the extra.

I've gone for the US keyboard too, as per the other thread.

Luckily I've got a daughter at uni who could get me a student discount
(10%). It feels odd to actually get money back instead of shelling out
again and again ;-)

Now I've got to wait 5 weeks!

--
Chris