Can you explain how links can be 'live' in a screenshot?

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 5:49:40 AM4/29/22
At least they are when I send same by iMessage to a friend.

Can you explain HOW links can be 'live' in a screenshot?

Thanks.

whisky-dave

Apr 29, 2022, 8:16:16 AM4/29/22
Never tried but screenshots are normally PNG or jpg, but maybe there's a way of making them PDFs by default.

David Brooks

Apr 29, 2022, 12:18:05 PM4/29/22
Please will you experiment a little to determine if that happens on YOUR
computer?

I first noticed this when using 'Messages' with a real-life friend.

Take a screenshot of any page on your screen which shows one or more
links, then paste it in to a Message. Send it to yourself and then check
to see if the link is STILL live in the received Message.

Thanks.

Bruce Horrocks

Apr 30, 2022, 3:01:38 AM4/30/22
Automatic recognition of text in the image by the receiving iDevice.

Here's a link to the developer docs overview - I can't quickly find a
"customer friendly" equivalent:

<https://developer.apple.com/documentation/vision/recognizing_text_in_images>

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

David Brooks

Apr 30, 2022, 4:08:51 AM4/30/22
Thank you so much, Bruce.

I don't profess to fully understand this, to me it's like magic, but I
knew there must be an explanation for such a phenomenon.

--
Kind regards,
David