[SOT] Apple pencil worn out nibs

1 view

Chris

Oct 4, 2022, 4:51:30 AM10/4/22
Out of curiosity, has anyone worn out the nib on an Apple pencil?

Apple provide spares with the pencil suggesting that they wear out, but
I've had mine about a year using it every day and it's almost like new.

Theo

Oct 4, 2022, 7:42:32 AM10/4/22
Some screen protectors can be more scratchy, supposedly to make it feel more
like paper. Maybe they increase wear?

Theo

Andy Hewitt

Oct 4, 2022, 5:34:11 PM10/4/22
Yes, I replaced mine after about a year. I had a paper feel screen
protector fitted, and it was certainly more abrasive on the pencil tip. I
even tried the rubber tip covers, but they often only lasted a few weeks at
best.

I’ve gone back to a plain glass screen protector now, and it’s not showing
any wear at all now, even the rubber tip lasts ages (months). I still use
those, as I prefer the feel on the glass surface, they offer a little more
resistance.

I did buy the genuine Apple tips though, I wouldn’t trust third party ones
on my iPad Pro screen (even with a protector fitted). To be honest, I
didn’t think a pack of four tips was that badly priced, and only a little
more than the cheaper options.

--
Andy H

Chris

Oct 5, 2022, 2:56:45 AM10/5/22
Andy Hewitt <thewil...@icloud.com> wrote:
> Theo <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity, has anyone worn out the nib on an Apple pencil?
>>>
>>> Apple provide spares with the pencil suggesting that they wear out, but
>>> I've had mine about a year using it every day and it's almost like new.
>>
>> Some screen protectors can be more scratchy, supposedly to make it feel more
>> like paper. Maybe they increase wear?
>
> Yes, I replaced mine after about a year. I had a paper feel screen
> protector fitted, and it was certainly more abrasive on the pencil tip. I
> even tried the rubber tip covers, but they often only lasted a few weeks at
> best.

Ah, I didn't consider screen protectors. Not something I use, but that
works make sense.

Do many people use screen protectors on ipads? I can understand on phone,
but not so much on an ipad.

Chris Ridd

Oct 5, 2022, 12:45:13 PM10/5/22
On 05/10/2022 08:14, Alan B wrote:
> Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Andy Hewitt <thewil...@icloud.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I replaced mine after about a year. I had a paper feel screen
>>> protector fitted, and it was certainly more abrasive on the pencil tip. I
>>> even tried the rubber tip covers, but they often only lasted a few weeks at
>>> best.
>>
>> Ah, I didn't consider screen protectors. Not something I use, but that
>> works make sense.
>>
>> Do many people use screen protectors on ipads? I can understand on phone,
>> but not so much on an ipad.
>
> Never used one on my iPads over the years. I do carefully clean the screen
> from time to time.

I'd imagine the ones which give a better feel for the pencil would be
popular for the iPad.

--
Chris

Andy Hewitt

Oct 5, 2022, 1:01:00 PM10/5/22
It is mainly because I use the Pencil I have the protector installed, I
wouldn't like to see what happened if you did wear through the tip onto
the main glass surface.

The one I wore out did get a bit scratchy on the surface of the screen
protector. I think it is possible to get through to metal.

I haven't got one on my iPhone, funnily enough, but that's a cheap
iPhone 8 I got as a refurb.

The second one has lasted longer without using a paper-like protector
(about 15 months so far).

--
Andy H