OT: weird iphone touchscreen + protector issue

Andy Hewitt

Sep 18, 2021, 1:00:29 AMSep 18
So, I got the ‘like new’ iPhone 8 last week, and generally happy with it,
but I’ve found a weird issue when trying to use a screen protector with it.

Initially I got one of those ‘360’ cases, with the screen protector built
in. It’s ok, but a bit chunky, and as the protector doesn’t fix to the
iPhone screen, it can occasionally miss touches.

So, I tried switching to a more traditional case and protector setup.
However, this seems to create really strange effects. I tried three
different glass type protectors, and found slightly different issues with
each, but overall a similar effect. I basically lost sensitivity at the
bottom edge of the screen. This meant that I can’t activate the ‘tab’
selection button in Safari, for example, or had trouble swiping up for the
control panel. Pressing and holding did bring up the 3D Touch menus though,
so it is partially working.

The last protector I tried was a well reviewed amFilm one, which works fine
on my wife’s new SE.

Without a protector, every works perfectly fine. I’ve put back on the
original 360 case, and that’s not too bad either.

I’m wondering if this is possibly a hardware fault with the screen, or is
it just an unlucky bit of ‘copy variation’?

Cheers.

--
Andy H

Chris

Sep 18, 2021, 5:20:44 AMSep 18
I avoid screen protectors for exactly this reason. iphones are really tough
anyway so unless your pockets are full of diamonds, you don't need a screen
protector.

Chris Ridd

Sep 18, 2021, 5:53:15 AMSep 18
On 18/09/2021 10:20, Chris wrote:
> I avoid screen protectors for exactly this reason. iphones are really tough
> anyway so unless your pockets are full of diamonds, you don't need a screen
> protector.

I don't know about Andy but I keep my diamonds in my other pockets.

--
Chris

Andy Hewitt

Sep 18, 2021, 6:46:40 AMSep 18