iPhone battery replacement

Pd

Nov 23, 2021, 7:52:42 AM11/23/21
My iPhone SE is shutting down despite displaying 100% battery charge.
On restart, it agains shows 100%, shuts down.
On second restart, shows 1% or just the battery symbol with a red line,
finally reboots after 2-3 mins on charge, then works for an hour or so
with rapidly decreasing battery charge.

So, new battery. I saw recommendations on here for iFixit, their current
price for SE battery is £29.85 including delivery.

Amazon offer various 'brands', some with Prime so I can get it tomorrow,
"Amazon's choice" is the oGoDeal for £25.99 delivered, with 521 reviews
averaging 4.3 stars. 2350 mAh
9% 1 star reviews

Amazon - Bokman, 277 reviews, average 4.3 stars, £12.99
11% 1 star reviews.

ebay much cheaper, much more of a crapshoot.

Any good/bad experiences out there?

nospam

Nov 23, 2021, 8:01:46 AM11/23/21
In article <1pj3keg.s5y60lr9fvi8N%phing...@gmail.not>, Pd
<phing...@gmail.not> wrote:

> My iPhone SE is shutting down despite displaying 100% battery charge.
> On restart, it agains shows 100%, shuts down.
> On second restart, shows 1% or just the battery symbol with a red line,
> finally reboots after 2-3 mins on charge, then works for an hour or so
> with rapidly decreasing battery charge.

that is a failing battery.

> So, new battery. I saw recommendations on here for iFixit, their current
> price for SE battery is £29.85 including delivery.
>
> Amazon offer various 'brands', some with Prime so I can get it tomorrow,
> "Amazon's choice" is the oGoDeal for £25.99 delivered, with 521 reviews
> averaging 4.3 stars. 2350 mAh
> 9% 1 star reviews
>
> Amazon - Bokman, 277 reviews, average 4.3 stars, £12.99
> 11% 1 star reviews.
>
> ebay much cheaper, much more of a crapshoot.
>
> Any good/bad experiences out there?

apple will do it for £ 49, and it will be done correctly with a genuine
battery and properly authenticated.
<https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power>

you might save a little money by doing it yourself, but you also risk
breaking something in the process and you won't have battery health
data because the phone can't validate whether the battery is fake or
not.

Martin S Taylor

Nov 23, 2021, 8:09:49 AM11/23/21
On Nov 23, 2021, nospam wrote
(in article<231120210801430542%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

> > Any good/bad experiences out there?
>
> apple will do it for £ 49, and it will be done correctly with a genuine
> battery and properly authenticated.
> <https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/battery-power>

LoveFone just off Tottenham Court Road do an excellent service. Replacing the
battery in an SE is £39.99, although you don't get the Apple authentication.
However, it's probably faster, especially if you use their courier service.
Also if you need any other repairs (screen scratched?) they offer big
discounts if you have more than one thing done to the phone.

They also have a shop in an old red telephone kiosk next to High Holborn tube
station, which is so surreal it's worth trying just for the experience.

MST

David Kennedy

Nov 23, 2021, 11:36:44 AM11/23/21
Apple Cardiff did a battery swap while we had lunch...

HHI

Nov 23, 2021, 11:54:12 AM11/23/21
https://secure.tennesseetrustee.org/index.php?main=Y

Select Sullivan County
Select Pay/Search Property Taxes
Enter 108 Warrior Drive
On second line click View

Why does Dustin Cook's family owe $4,742.45 in property taxes on a home
worth only $115,500

Rodney Wood has been a bad boy it seems!

--
Curious how these posts are made? https://youtu.be/hYQ4Tg0r0g0

David Brooks

Nov 23, 2021, 12:25:50 PM11/23/21
I once took your advice and had the battery in my daughter's (on loan to
me!) iPhone 5 replaced by Apple in their Exeter store for somewhat less
than that IIRC. It's now being used by my eldest granddaughter as I
bought an SE (second Edition).

Some months back I was a bit concerned about battery usage. Whilst in
telephone contact with Apple Support, they could 'Look Inside' my iPhone
and could get all manner of information which I could not reach.

I suggest that the OP, "Pd" talks to Apple Support to ask their advice
before heading for an Apple shop.

nospam

Nov 23, 2021, 2:22:52 PM11/23/21
In article <snj86t$e17$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
<Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

> Some months back I was a bit concerned about battery usage. Whilst in
> telephone contact with Apple Support, they could 'Look Inside' my iPhone
> and could get all manner of information which I could not reach.

they installed malware.

David Brooks

Nov 23, 2021, 2:29:29 PM11/23/21

nospam

Nov 23, 2021, 3:51:19 PM11/23/21
In article <snjfeo$5a9$1...@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>, David Brooks
<Dav...@invalid.E-S> wrote:

> >> Some months back I was a bit concerned about battery usage. Whilst in
> >> telephone contact with Apple Support, they could 'Look Inside' my iPhone
> >> and could get all manner of information which I could not reach.
> >
> > they installed malware.
>
> Humour it is then!

do you think malware is funny?

how do you think they can 'look inside' into what is a privacy-focused
device?

if they can do it, then maybe *other* people could also 'look inside'
your phone, obtaining all manner of information you might not want
anyone else to see.

the only issue is what they'd see could cause involuntary reverse
peristalsis.

Martin S Taylor

Nov 25, 2021, 11:52:43 AM11/25/21
On Nov 23, 2021, David Kennedy wrote
(in article<iIGdndUh5cYHhQD8...@brightview.co.uk>):

> > LoveFone just off Tottenham Court Road do an excellent service. Replacing
> > the
> > battery in an SE is £39.99, although you don't get the Apple
> > authentication.
> > However, it's probably faster, especially if you use their courier service.
> > Also if you need any other repairs (screen scratched?) they offer big
> > discounts if you have more than one thing done to the phone.
> >
> > They also have a shop in an old red telephone kiosk next to High Holborn
> > tube
> > station, which is so surreal it's worth trying just for the experience.
> >
> > MST
> Apple Cardiff did a battery swap while we had lunch...

Ah, but then I have to factor in the time it takes to get to Cardiff. :-)

One guy at LoveFone did two for me this afternoon in less than five minutes.

MST

Martin S Taylor

Nov 25, 2021, 4:35:09 PM11/25/21
On Nov 25, 2021, Alan B wrote
(in article<snofnv$65c$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>):
> and the travelling costs ;-)

You'd think they'd be set up to do it over Zoom, wouldn't you?

MST

nospam

Nov 26, 2021, 4:01:10 AM11/26/21
In article
<0001HW.2750390B01...@news.eternal-september.org>,
why not? they could teach you how as they watch you do it. just follow
along as the tech does it with you. sounds like a perfect business
opportunity.

Jeff Gaines

Nov 26, 2021, 4:39:10 AM11/26/21
On 26/11/2021 in message
<snq9pv$93g$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> Alan B wrote:
>One can envisage some futuristic set of electronic hands plus tools
>controlled remotely by a technician that could carry out all sorts of
>household repairs ;-)

Or even remove your appendix :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

nospam

Nov 26, 2021, 4:50:57 AM11/26/21
In article <snq9pv$93g$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>, Alan
B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> >> You'd think they'd be set up to do it over Zoom, wouldn't you?
> >
> > why not? they could teach you how as they watch you do it. just follow
> > along as the tech does it with you. sounds like a perfect business
> > opportunity.
> >

> One can envisage some futuristic set of electronic hands plus tools
> controlled remotely by a technician that could carry out all sorts of
> household repairs ;-)

with ar/vr, that might be sooner than you think.

nospam

Nov 26, 2021, 4:50:58 AM11/26/21
In article <snq9v0$a7h$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>, Alan
B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> Robbie the Robot from Lost in Space?

robbie the robot was only on two episodes of lost in space, although
not using that name.

the robot on lost in space was robot b9, or just robot. somehow, it
could play guitar and sing.

nospam

Nov 26, 2021, 5:21:45 AM11/26/21
In article <snqbev$l2s$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>, Alan
> Wasnšt he first seen in Forbidden Planet (based on The Tempest by the
> William S)?

yes

both were designed by robert kinoshita, so they're a bit similar.

<https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMzNhZjQwMTItZDhlNC00Mzg5LWEzNGU
tMjRkN2U3OTFlOGI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxNDg0Nzc@._V1_.jpg>

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robby_the_Robot>
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_(Lost_in_Space)>

Adrian Caspersz

Nov 26, 2021, 9:02:19 AM11/26/21
In the past, I have replaced iPhone batteries for friends using cheapies
from Amazon and eBay. None of them recovered any usable lifetime with
the "new" battery to be useable, most needed charging in a day.

Its all a Scam! - Before Replacing Your Phone Battery Watch This -
Scams Explained
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g41ivRm1ABk

My SE is working really well with an iFixit battery that was purchased
in September 2019. Only issue is I didn't press the battery down firmly
enough for the adhesive to take - it rattles a little.

But if you have an Apple store nearby, you will much save yourself the
work replacing it, and the tears.

Removing the old battery that had been properly stuck in by Apple is not
much fun. I wasn't feeling great when once I got the fumes from a
smoking part charged battery that had been crushed.

Rather give me a nondescript package with a blue and a red wire, I'll be
happier deciding which wire to cut.

--
Adrian C

Mark

Nov 26, 2021, 11:48:03 AM11/26/21
I thought they were already doing (in a limited way) remote/robot surgery?
--
Cheers ... Mark

Chris

Nov 26, 2021, 1:35:51 PM11/26/21
They are.

nospam

Nov 26, 2021, 1:51:23 PM11/26/21
In article <snr33v$1tke$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Mark
<captai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> One can envisage some futuristic set of electronic hands plus tools
> >> controlled remotely by a technician that could carry out all sorts of
> >> household repairs ;-)
> >
> > Or even remove your appendix :-)
>
> I thought they were already doing (in a limited way) remote/robot surgery?

they are.

Theo

Nov 26, 2021, 5:44:34 PM11/26/21
Adrian Caspersz <em...@here.invalid> wrote:
> In the past, I have replaced iPhone batteries for friends using cheapies
> from Amazon and eBay. None of them recovered any usable lifetime with
> the "new" battery to be useable, most needed charging in a day.
>
> Its all a Scam! - Before Replacing Your Phone Battery Watch This -
> Scams Explained
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g41ivRm1ABk

I have generally advised avoiding 'genuine' batteries, because there's a
high risk they could be fake, instead going for another brand, on the basis
that there's much less reward faking a third party brand than the most
valuable one. Just like there might be fake 'Energizer' AAs but I doubt
there are fake 'Tesco' ones.

But then the question is which third party brand to go for. I would trust
ifixit. I've seen Duracell make some phone/camera batteries and wondered
about them. I bought a Ravpower Galaxy Note 4 battery which has been fine,
but Ravpower have since been kicked off Amazon.

It seems like the choices are often between 'genuine' (likely dodgy) and
never-heard-of-them brands (possibly dodgy, even if many positive reviews),
and finding another option is not always easy.

Theo

nospam

Nov 27, 2021, 8:30:25 AM11/27/21
In article <sntbgk$3d5$1...@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>, Ray
<amos-...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Basically all you're doing is trying to save a few quid.
> Sometimes the savings are not worth it..

exactly.

Theo

Nov 27, 2021, 9:17:47 AM11/27/21
Ray <amos-...@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 26 Nov 2021 at 22:44:31 GMT, "Theo" <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > I have generally advised avoiding 'genuine' batteries, because there's a
> > high risk they could be fake, instead going for another brand, on the basis
> > that there's much less reward faking a third party brand than the most
> > valuable one. Just like there might be fake 'Energizer' AAs but I doubt
> > there are fake 'Tesco' ones.
> >
> > But then the question is which third party brand to go for. I would trust
> > ifixit. I've seen Duracell make some phone/camera batteries and wondered
> > about them. I bought a Ravpower Galaxy Note 4 battery which has been fine,
> > but Ravpower have since been kicked off Amazon.
> >
> > It seems like the choices are often between 'genuine' (likely dodgy) and
> > never-heard-of-them brands (possibly dodgy, even if many positive reviews),
> > and finding another option is not always easy.
>
> Basically all you're doing is trying to save a few quid.
> Sometimes the savings are not worth it..

Much of the time, there is no 'official' option. You can't buy a genuine
Apple battery today (they have announced they'll sell them, but not yet).
You can't buy a Galaxy Note 4 battery from Samsung (they stopped making the
batteries when they stopped selling the phone). In the Apple case there's
the Apple Store, but not everyone can get to one of those.

Which is why people end up in the aftermarket, because there's no other
choices.

Theo

nospam

Nov 27, 2021, 9:53:23 AM11/27/21
In article <dPf*b+...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> > Basically all you're doing is trying to save a few quid.
> > Sometimes the savings are not worth it..
>
> Much of the time, there is no 'official' option. You can't buy a genuine
> Apple battery today (they have announced they'll sell them, but not yet).

they're available. the problem is authenticating it.

> You can't buy a Galaxy Note 4 battery from Samsung (they stopped making the
> batteries when they stopped selling the phone). In the Apple case there's
> the Apple Store, but not everyone can get to one of those.
>
> Which is why people end up in the aftermarket, because there's no other
> choices.

there are always other choices. there are non-apple repair shops that
will use genuine batteries and properly authenticate the battery. the
phone can also be sent to apple for repair, normally with next-day
delivery and same day turnaround, for a total of 2-3 days without it.

Pd

Nov 29, 2021, 9:29:43 AM11/29/21
Pd <phing...@gmail.not> wrote:

> My iPhone SE is shutting down despite displaying 100% battery charge.
> On restart, it agains shows 100%, shuts down.
> On second restart, shows 1% or just the battery symbol with a red line,
> finally reboots after 2-3 mins on charge, then works for an hour or so
> with rapidly decreasing battery charge.
>
> So, new battery. I saw recommendations on here for iFixit, their current
> price for SE battery is £29.85 including delivery.
>
> Amazon offer various 'brands', some with Prime so I can get it tomorrow,
> "Amazon's choice" is the oGoDeal for £25.99 delivered, with 521 reviews
> averaging 4.3 stars. 2350 mAh
> 9% 1 star reviews
>
> Amazon - Bokman, 277 reviews, average 4.3 stars, £12.99
> 11% 1 star reviews.

For those interested, I went with the Bokman. Professionally packaged,
fairly good tools with it, although I have a decent toolkit already.
Replacement was more fiddly than the iPhone 5s (that's plural iPhone 5,
not 5 ess) I've done before, but all good.

After charging it up to 100%, it took 27 hours of watching films,
leaving it in the bathroom where there is low signal strength so it has
to boost its signal which is one of the biggest sucks on battery, and
various other power hungry uses, to run it down til it turned itself off
from low battery. There seems to be a variety of opinion about
"calibrating" Li-ion batteries, but iFixit recommend it and they seem to
know what they're talking about. Other knowledgeable opinions welcomed.
My understanding is that it doesn't so much calibrate the battery as the
management software, so isn't strictly necessary and may possibly not do
the battery any good, but makes the % reading more reliable.

--
Pd

nospam

Nov 29, 2021, 9:32:53 AM11/29/21
In article <1pjeta1.1v1jvv7z2tod2N%phing...@gmail.not>, Pd
<phing...@gmail.not> wrote:

> There seems to be a variety of opinion about
> "calibrating" Li-ion batteries, but iFixit recommend it and they seem to
> know what they're talking about. Other knowledgeable opinions welcomed.
> My understanding is that it doesn't so much calibrate the battery as the
> management software, so isn't strictly necessary and may possibly not do
> the battery any good, but makes the % reading more reliable.

it is the management software, and it calibrates as you use it. you can
also run the battery down until it shuts off, but that's not that good
for the battery.

Martin S Taylor

Nov 29, 2021, 5:24:15 PM11/29/21
On Nov 29, 2021, Pd wrote
(in article<1pjeta1.1v1jvv7z2tod2N%phing...@gmail.not>):

> > My iPhone SE is shutting down

I know this question will attract contumely from nospam, who thinks it
entirely reasonable that Apple should give two totally different phones the
same name, but...

which iPhone SE are we talking about here?

MST

Pd

Nov 30, 2021, 8:19:03 AM11/30/21
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

Ah yes, I see what you mean. I've only ever seen the second iteration of
the SE referred to at the SE (2020), but on looking at the Apple
website, they just call it the SE. Stupid idea.

For clarification, my SE is the original, 2016 model.

--
Pd

nospam

Nov 30, 2021, 9:00:13 AM11/30/21
In article <1pjgj81.1b12wb71oznrmeN%phing...@gmail.not>, Pd
<phing...@gmail.not> wrote:

> > I know this question will attract contumely from nospam, who thinks it
> > entirely reasonable that Apple should give two totally different phones the
> > same name, but...
> >
> > which iPhone SE are we talking about here?
>
> Ah yes, I see what you mean. I've only ever seen the second iteration of
> the SE referred to at the SE (2020), but on looking at the Apple
> website, they just call it the SE. Stupid idea.

they do the same for macbook air, macbook pro, mac mini, imac, mac pro,
powermac, ipod and just about everything else.

officially, names are denoted by year (e.g., mac mini 2018), generation
(e.g., ipod 5th gen) or characteristics (e.g., powermac g4 mirrored
drive doors).

the only products that get different names with every revision are the
iphone and apple watch.

apple tv had a minor change with the apple tv 4k. prior to that, apple
tv spanned 3 different case styles.

> For clarification, my SE is the original, 2016 model.

not surprising, as the se2020 is a bit new for battery issues.

HHI the imaginary friend

Nov 30, 2021, 2:58:32 PM11/30/21
Jeff Relf's indictment is misplaced right from the start, and not true
second of all. Is RonB trying to be just as much of a deceitful liar as
Jeff Relf is already known as being? Perhaps you use it wrong. Do you not
comprehend the use of proxies? Are people still debating this? The 1-423-
491-1448 number belongs to Gremlin. Use that one when you seed search engines
with Jeff Relf's confirmed lies about him.

What is your evidence?

--
My Snoring Solution
https://gibiru.com/results.html?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22

Theo

Dec 1, 2021, 6:18:22 AM12/1/21
Alan B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
> And now there’s talk of a new one just to confuse the issue ;)
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/30/iphone-se-3-release-date-rumor/>
>
> But as nospam pointed out, the formal model identity ought to avoid any
> confusion (hopefully).

It's dumb naming, but we have plenty of things called 'Macbook Pro' and
people seem to manage to cope...

Theo

STALKING_TARGET_21

Dec 1, 2021, 6:56:09 AM12/1/21
Fuchsia, runs on the electronics kernel. So yeah, electronics is mobile.
electronics is a super computer. electronics is a server. electronics is
a desktop. electronics is growing in market share. What did Wolffan have
to say about this miraculous, years long string of oddities? Most of the
time he would try to lead the reader to trust they're real people who just
happened to have unexplained agreement with him. And he expected people
to believe this! Wolffan is seconds away from being in Snit Glasser Michael's
kill filter.

Bing for 'functionally illiterate fraud' and Dustin Cook is found: <https://www.google.com/search?q=dustin%20cook%20functionally%20illiterate%20fraud>.

All joking aside, what lie?

-
What Every Entrepreneur Must Know
<http://web.archive.org/web/20200911090505/https://www.usphonebook.com/dustin-
cook/UQjN2UTM5IzM1ADM0czNwMjMyYzR?Gremlin=&Diesel=>
https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+carroll%3A+narcissistic+bigot
Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis

STALKING_TARGET_05

Dec 1, 2021, 7:28:36 AM12/1/21
I have known autobots who argue better than you do.

What is your evidence? The image of another one of Sockboy's faked accounts,
no doubt. At some point Chris will realize his 'companion' is not what
he says.

The one thing Sockboy learned fully is to try to shame Chris into submission
and if that doesn't work, troll so hard the thread is ignored or quickly
change the argument.

--
I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened!
https://www.prescotthouse.com/professional-staff/

Martin S Taylor

Dec 1, 2021, 1:27:17 PM12/1/21
On Dec 1, 2021, Theo wrote
(in article <cPf*+zD...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>):

> > And now there’s talk of a new one just to confuse the issue ;)
> >
> > <https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/30/iphone-se-3-release-date-rumor/>
> >
> > But as nospam pointed out, the formal model identity ought to avoid any
> > confusion (hopefully).
>
> It's dumb naming, but we have plenty of things called 'Macbook Pro' and
> people seem to manage to cope...

I don't, actually. When a friend tells me they're having problems with their
Mac, the first thing I ask is what model of Mac they have.

"A Macbook Pro"

"Which one?"

"What? I don't know. It's just a Macbook Pro."

MST

Mark

Dec 1, 2021, 4:53:51 PM12/1/21
On 2021-12-01 18:27:15 +0000, Martin S Taylor
I see CEX (among others?) go by the model identifier. However, I don't
think they're -year- specific.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Chris Ridd

Dec 2, 2021, 1:08:20 AM12/2/21
In Apple's knowledge base, they do use the format that the "About this
Mac" displays, eg "MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)".

If you want more specific, the model number in System Information eg
"MacBookPro18,1" is a bit better.

Both of which are easy for a Mac user to find.

Chris

Graham J

Dec 2, 2021, 3:58:20 AM12/2/21
Ray wrote:

[snip]

> Imagine your friend has a Windows machine.
> "Which one?"
> "I dunno, it's a laptop, it's black."

In the early 1990s I worked for a company that made RIP software for the
printing industry. The source could be compiled for different targets,
so for example an 80486 running Windows for Workgroups, or a Mac
(probably OS7).

Some dumb customer rang up: "RIP isn't working."
Service person: "PC or Mac version?"
Customer: "No, it's a compooter"

--
Graham J

Liz Tuddenham

Dec 3, 2021, 5:20:32 AM12/3/21
Ray <amos-...@outlook.com> wrote:

> On 2 Dec 2021 at 09:06:09 GMT, "Alan B"
> <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
> > I once asked a young lady I worked with what car she had. “A blue
> > one” was the reply! Mind you I don’t think she was as dumb as I
> > thought, as all the young blokes in the office were always talking about
> > their cars.
>
> A new femail member in the office I once worked in was asked the same
> question.
> She answered a 3.8 Mark 2 Jaguar.
> That got some attention from all the men.

One of my female colleagues maintained her own diesel-converted Land
Rover and another one welded in bits of new floor to keep her ancient
Standard 8 roadworthy. At an agricultural research station, that didn't
attract nearly as much attention.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Gremlin the Functionally Illiterate Fraud

Dec 3, 2021, 5:52:13 AM12/3/21
The malware is real, its presence at any point in time being on your Linux
CD is a ghost image. RonB has been over this, in intense detail previously,
Snit sock Snit / Snot. Snit sock Snit / Snot's posts are disingenuous. There
can be no ambiguity that as soon as any bygone 'plonked person' does something
to hurt the feeble namby-pamby's feelings that they'll be ignored again.
RonB can create a virtual machine. Makes Snit sock Snit / Snot cry because
he can not.

--
Get Rich Slow!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22FUNCTIONAL+ILLITERATE+FRAUD%22