I want an M1 MBP ... but ...

John

Nov 29, 2021, 1:50:17 PM11/29/21

as the subject says, I'm really, really tempted by the new,
super-duper M1 Max Pro Hypergood Excessively Powerful Chippy type
Macbook Pro but I have a question I can't find an answer to on Apple's
site so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I run, as a hobby, in the name of my wife, distributed computing
projects on my old, spinning rust MBP. These are GIMPS [the Great
Internet Mersenne Prime Search at https:///www.mersenne.org ] and
BOINCy stuff like SETI@HOME [https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ ] and
their protein-folding, MilkyWay, Einstein and other stuff.

These run in the background, get the hell out of the way when I'm
doing intensive work and generally "just work".

But ... they do shitloads of CPU and GPU operations. They also
write to disc, a lot. They keep the boxes I've run them on quite warm
much of the time so they are definitely processor intensive, RAM
intensive and sort of I/O writey.

My question, to which I am too inexperienced in Mac-Magics to be
able to find the answer is: would these totally fuck up a new box that
only has SSD storage? Would distributed computing tasks kill an SSD
drive fastly?

Or are new SSD's immune to wear?

If they *would* does anyone know whether I could run the softwares,
with all of their writes and reads off of an external spinning rust
hard-drive? I can find a couple of small ones of those if I need to
but I'm not sure whether MBP's will run softwares from them from
start-up and continuously.

This is a deal-breaker. If DC does wipe out SSD's like I wipe out
Pot Noodles and bacon sarnies, I'm never going to buy one.

So ...

Opinions? Facts? Help making up my mind, please?

Thank you.

Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a nicer, mask-free,
flu-free, SARS-free New Year.

Take care, everyone and try to avoid all those nasty mutants.

J.

nospam

Nov 29, 2021, 2:03:21 PM11/29/21
In article <j07aqg9on091ab051...@4ax.com>, John
<M...@the.keyboard> wrote:

> My question, to which I am too inexperienced in Mac-Magics to be
> able to find the answer is: would these totally fuck up a new box that
> only has SSD storage? Would distributed computing tasks kill an SSD
> drive fastly?

no

> Or are new SSD's immune to wear?

nothing is immune to wear.

hard drives also wear out, failing more often than ssds do.

> If they *would* does anyone know whether I could run the softwares,
> with all of their writes and reads off of an external spinning rust
> hard-drive?

you could do that if you prefer.

Bruce Horrocks

Nov 29, 2021, 4:54:34 PM11/29/21
On 29/11/2021 18:45, John wrote:

> Hi,
> as the subject says, I'm really, really tempted by the new,
> super-duper M1 Max Pro Hypergood Excessively Powerful Chippy type
> Macbook Pro but I have a question I can't find an answer to on Apple's
> site so I thought I'd ask you guys.
>
> I run, as a hobby, in the name of my wife, distributed computing
> projects on my old, spinning rust MBP. These are GIMPS [the Great
> Internet Mersenne Prime Search at https:///www.mersenne.org ] and
> BOINCy stuff like SETI@HOME [https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ ] and
> their protein-folding, MilkyWay, Einstein and other stuff.
>
> These run in the background, get the hell out of the way when I'm
> doing intensive work and generally "just work".
>
> But ... they do shitloads of CPU and GPU operations. They also
> write to disc, a lot. They keep the boxes I've run them on quite warm
> much of the time so they are definitely processor intensive, RAM
> intensive and sort of I/O writey.
>
> My question, to which I am too inexperienced in Mac-Magics to be
> able to find the answer is: would these totally fuck up a new box that
> only has SSD storage? Would distributed computing tasks kill an SSD
> drive fastly?
>
> Or are new SSD's immune to wear?

No, not immune to wear: they have a maximum number of "lifetime" reads
and writes after which they won't necessarily be reliable any more.

The exact figure is not simple to calculate because it depends on usage.
However, looking at the GIMPS page it says it needs about 30MB to store
work in progress (in case of a power failure) and does so every half
hour. This is peanuts in the scheme of things: Samsung are promising[1]
that their latest SSDs will last 10 years at a daily write rate a
thousand times higher than GIMPS'.

[1] Promising but not guaranteeing. ;-)

> If they *would* does anyone know whether I could run the softwares,
> with all of their writes and reads off of an external spinning rust
> hard-drive? I can find a couple of small ones of those if I need to
> but I'm not sure whether MBP's will run softwares from them from
> start-up and continuously.

You can do this as well - subject to the DC software allowing you to
select where it should store its files. You can install the DC
application on the external drive as well if you want, but there is
little point in doing so as it will only be read from disk once each
time you start the app.

> This is a deal-breaker. If DC does wipe out SSD's like I wipe out
> Pot Noodles and bacon sarnies, I'm never going to buy one.
>
> So ...
>
> Opinions? Facts? Help making up my mind, please?

The various DC projects rely 100% on goodwill from participants. If
there was any danger that their software would 'wipe out' an SSD then
they would clearly warn people, or change their software so it couldn't,
or do something, because the negative publicity would mean the end of
their project and they couldn't chance that.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

nospam

Nov 29, 2021, 5:09:39 PM11/29/21
In article <3e2c4228-21a2-cbaf...@scorecrow.com>, Bruce
Horrocks <07....@scorecrow.com> wrote:

> > Or are new SSD's immune to wear?
>
> No, not immune to wear: they have a maximum number of "lifetime" reads
> and writes after which they won't necessarily be reliable any more.

writes have a limit. reads are unlimited.

many ssds will become read-only when that limit is hit.

John

Nov 29, 2021, 5:20:01 PM11/29/21
Oh. That's cool. Thank you.

I must admit to having been too lazy to search the GIMPS site. Sorry
for that. It's been quite a few years since I needed to. I usually
just copy the entire program, complete with its data folders, from any
old machine to any new one. I've been doing that since about 1995-ish.
I probably did RTFM way back in the last Century but there's rarely
any need to as the software "just works" and has done through several
iterations of Mac OS X.

>[1] Promising but not guaranteeing. ;-)

Well, *of* *course*!

One can test a light-bulb at the point-of-sale and blow it or it
could last a thousand years. Things break. Even spinning rust drives
break.

Were Samsung to *promise* longevity, I would be extremely suspicious.

>> If they *would* does anyone know whether I could run the softwares,
>> with all of their writes and reads off of an external spinning rust
>> hard-drive? I can find a couple of small ones of those if I need to
>> but I'm not sure whether MBP's will run softwares from them from
>> start-up and continuously.
>
>You can do this as well - subject to the DC software allowing you to
>select where it should store its files. You can install the DC
>application on the external drive as well if you want, but there is
>little point in doing so as it will only be read from disk once each
>time you start the app.

Okay. Thanks.

>> This is a deal-breaker. If DC does wipe out SSD's like I wipe out
>> Pot Noodles and bacon sarnies, I'm never going to buy one.
>>
>> So ...
>>
>> Opinions? Facts? Help making up my mind, please?
>
>The various DC projects rely 100% on goodwill from participants. If
>there was any danger that their software would 'wipe out' an SSD then
>they would clearly warn people, or change their software so it couldn't,
>or do something, because the negative publicity would mean the end of
>their project and they couldn't chance that.

Hmm, good thinking. My choice of description was overly dramatic for
ease of differentiating between the two technologies and your point is
well made.

But still, I was worried that the overly heavy writes would kill an
SSD faster than a "real" hard-drive, the kind I'm used to.

You seem to been leaning towards the "no, it won't" side.

Thank you. :)

J.

Addendum: yes, I'm bloody tempted. Those MBP with Max-chips are
*gorgeous* and could be loads of fun. I want mine to be maxxed-out on
*everything*. :)

Chris

Nov 30, 2021, 2:45:32 AM11/30/21
You mean you've never updated the software in 26 years?! I find that very
hard to believe. Those projects have changed loads in that time.

One thing to check is whether these tools will work (well) on the new Apple
Silicon CPUs. For example GIMPS only has an intel version.

Rosetta 2 is fantastic for running intel software on M1 Macs but it isn't
100% bulletproof.

Stefen Carroll

Nov 30, 2021, 6:12:41 AM11/30/21
Glasser Michael Snit has gone the extra mile, essentially hand holding
Wolffan on coding practices only for Wolffan to blindly attack him and
continue to show that he has no real interest in the subject. In all
reality, it's too hard for snit. Usenet is an uncontrollable non-organization
based on the belief in good character.

It is easy to exaggerate by bragging about a few isolated examples different
from what is typical. What matters more from an honest advocates point
of view are the average circumstances.

You are bright as a roasted cauliflower. Where did Wolffan find your
scripts?

-
This broke the Internet!!
https://youtu.be/hYQ4Tg0r0g0
Steve Petruzzellis the Narcissistic Bigot

Steve - frelwizen 1580

Nov 30, 2021, 6:59:36 AM11/30/21
On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 3:20:01 PM UTC-7, John wrote:
I do not know if there is a encumbered open source solution or not. I am
about to KF him, myself. Like all idiots, he is perpetually looking for some
way to attack, no matter how fantastic the charge. I will not see his response
to this post. He is hurting, wants to pretend he is innocent, and will attack.
Most likely beginning with a cocky "*plonk*", as if what I have written is
SO hard to understand. That BADish "response" was the final stroke, for me.
I am not going to play like Snit (a real advocate) didn't save my bacon with
AZ Code and I am thankful for his knowledge. Shadow has my example as an
example and could learn to at least pretend he knows something about it from
this day forward... as always he stepped on his own dick when he trolled
Snit (a real advocate) ;)

Nobody gets it, I don't get it.

--
"You'll notice how quickly he loses interest when everything is about him.
He clearly wants the attention"

whisky-dave

Nov 30, 2021, 8:19:45 AM11/30/21
That becomes an interesting point, when that time has come the data can't be erased
so any data will remain and be read (in theory). Which could be a security issue.

So the best way to reformat or erase a SSD like this would be with a very big hammer or flamethrower. :-)
Sometimes old technology like hammers etc are fun to use too.

Jeff Gaines

Nov 30, 2021, 8:24:35 AM11/30/21
On 30/11/2021 in message
<036c9932-1aca-472f...@googlegroups.com> whisky-dave wrote:

>So the best way to reformat or erase a SSD like this would be with a very
>big hammer or flamethrower. :-)
>Sometimes old technology like hammers etc are fun to use too.

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid [you] can't do that."

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

whisky-dave

Nov 30, 2021, 8:32:40 AM11/30/21
On Tuesday, 30 November 2021 at 13:24:35 UTC, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 30/11/2021 in message
> <036c9932-1aca-472f...@googlegroups.com> whisky-dave wrote:
>
> >So the best way to reformat or erase a SSD like this would be with a very
> >big hammer or flamethrower. :-)
> >Sometimes old technology like hammers etc are fun to use too.
> "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid [you] can't do that."

Arrrh a Hal emulator :-<>

nospam

Nov 30, 2021, 8:59:36 AM11/30/21
In article <036c9932-1aca-472f...@googlegroups.com>,
whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No, not immune to wear: they have a maximum number of "lifetime" reads
> > > and writes after which they won't necessarily be reliable any more.
> > writes have a limit. reads are unlimited.
> >
> > many ssds will become read-only when that limit is hit.
>
> That becomes an interesting point, when that time has come the data can't be
> erased
> so any data will remain and be read (in theory). Which could be a security
> issue.

encryption solves that problem.

> So the best way to reformat or erase a SSD like this would be with a very big
> hammer or flamethrower. :-)
> Sometimes old technology like hammers etc are fun to use too.

that also works.

Chris

Nov 30, 2021, 10:13:23 AM11/30/21
whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 29 November 2021 at 22:09:39 UTC, nospam wrote:

>>> No, not immune to wear: they have a maximum number of "lifetime" reads
>>> and writes after which they won't necessarily be reliable any more.
>> writes have a limit. reads are unlimited.
>>
>> many ssds will become read-only when that limit is hit.
>
> That becomes an interesting point, when that time has come the data can't be erased
> so any data will remain and be read (in theory). Which could be a security issue.

Only if the drive is unencrypted. FileVault is transparent so there's
little reason not to.

Bruce Horrocks

Nov 30, 2021, 6:13:03 PM11/30/21
On 29/11/2021 22:09, nospam wrote:
> In article <3e2c4228-21a2-cbaf...@scorecrow.com>, Bruce
> Horrocks <07....@scorecrow.com> wrote:
>
>>> Or are new SSD's immune to wear?
>>
>> No, not immune to wear: they have a maximum number of "lifetime" reads
>> and writes after which they won't necessarily be reliable any more.
>
> writes have a limit. reads are unlimited.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
D'oh, yes of course. Thanks for the reminder.

> many ssds will become read-only when that limit is hit.

John

Dec 2, 2021, 7:38:04 AM12/2/21
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 07:45:30 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Honestly? I have no idea. It's entirely possible that while running
I have clicked on the "are there any updates?" button.

Oh, nope, I haven't as Prime95 doesn't have one of those, I just
looked. <shrug>, so perhaps I have done updates from the site. Maybe.

I really should check. :)

[One Check Later: and, yes, I have now visited The Page!]

Right, well, I'm not as lax as I reported. I was on V29 and the
website only has V30 as its latest update so I must have done one at
some point. That's on the Win-7 box. On the MBP, I have no idea as yet
as she's downstairs and out of reach. I'll have a look.

Thank you for reminding me.

>One thing to check is whether these tools will work (well) on the new Apple
>Silicon CPUs. For example GIMPS only has an intel version

You mean a Mac OSX, Intel version, as opposed to a new, super-duper,
M1 version, yes? Well, I've been running that since about 2007 on a
variety of Mac's so I know that one just works.

I'll have to see whether I'm running the latest version or not.

Thank you for the reminder. I really am getting bloody lax about
these sorts of things.

>Rosetta 2 is fantastic for running intel software on M1 Macs but it isn't
>100% bulletproof.

Yeah, well, I just ixquicked it. I don't think I'm impressed. It
seems like more work than even WINE.

This is getting seriously hard-worky and I'm getting very
discouraged.

Thanks for all of the help.

J.

John

Dec 2, 2021, 7:42:09 AM12/2/21
On Tue, 30 Nov 2021 15:13:21 -0000 (UTC), Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>whisky-dave <whisk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, 29 November 2021 at 22:09:39 UTC, nospam wrote:

>>> writes have a limit. reads are unlimited.
>>>
>>> many ssds will become read-only when that limit is hit.

That could be a bother.

>> That becomes an interesting point, when that time has come the data can't be erased
>> so any data will remain and be read (in theory). Which could be a security issue.

Yep, that's one reason it could be a bother.

>Only if the drive is unencrypted. FileVault is transparent so there's
>little reason not to.
>
>> So the best way to reformat or erase a SSD like this would be with a very
>> big hammer or flamethrower. :-)

I don't have the latter, nor do I think they are legal in jolly old
England.

>> Sometimes old technology like hammers etc are fun to use too.

I have a nice one. It has served me well over more than three
decades.

I call her "Hammer".

J.

John

Dec 2, 2021, 8:43:12 AM12/2/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 12:55:29 -0000 (UTC), Alan B
<alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>I have an M1 Mac too and I've had no problems running Mac Intel apps under
>Rosetta 2. Where have you seen really bad reports - I can't seem to find any?

What "bad reports"?

I have only just read of "Rosetta 2" as a tool so, as quoted above, I
used Startpage [IxQuick] to search for it. The pages I found, mainly
developer sites, I admit, so probably to be expected to be more work
than I would like, are not encouraging.

There were no user reports, simply descriptions and those were vague
and not helpful.

Okay, if I were to dig deeper, I might find better, more interesting
sites but that, too, is work and work I don't need to do *until* I get
an Apple Silicon box and encounter the incompatibility problem.

I never mentioned "bad reports". I simply said that the pages I found
were discouraging and, for a newbie, they are.

To a constant user of Apple M1 Silicon and the most recent version of
OSX, Rosetta is probably easy, simple, useful, wonderful and bloody
magical but, to me it is not apparent that this is so. Not yet.

<shrug> The point is moot at present.

J.

John

Dec 2, 2021, 9:31:06 AM12/2/21
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:04:30 -0000 (UTC), Alan B
<alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>Well all I can say is to repeat that I致e had no problems (so far).

That is good to know, thank you.

>The
>only time I got an adverse reaction was in the early days of my M1
>ownership, when I was prompted to load it the first time I ran an Intel app
>on it.

Well, wouldn't that be *expected*? I mean, the first time I load
really old software on a new version of OSX it generally whines a
little until I pat it on the head and tell it it's a good boy.

It's *supposed* to work like that, isn't it?

>It will be interesting to see if the next Monterey update due any
>time soon is matched with any Rosetta 2 bug fixes.

Bugs don't worry me. All software has bugs, even the stuff I used to
write, though mine were obvious and easy to find and fix.

What does somewhat interest me is that some sites online seem to
indicate that, like Rosetta Prime, Rosetta 2 is a temporary thing that
Apple will kill when they are "fully migrated" to their own silicon.

That does not bode well.

Still, by then, maybe everyone will have migrated their softwares to
Apple silicon, too.

Thank you for the help,
J.

nospam

Dec 2, 2021, 9:39:05 AM12/2/21
In article <q0lhqglmi4hphmvkg...@4ax.com>, John
<M...@the.keyboard> wrote:

> What does somewhat interest me is that some sites online seem to
> indicate that, like Rosetta Prime, Rosetta 2 is a temporary thing that
> Apple will kill when they are "fully migrated" to their own silicon.

nothing lasts forever.

> That does not bode well.

that won't be for a while.

> Still, by then, maybe everyone will have migrated their softwares to
> Apple silicon, too.

at which point, it will no longer be needed.

nospam

Dec 2, 2021, 10:10:12 AM12/2/21
In article <soan0b$k1p$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>, Alan
B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> It would be
> nice if Apple could indicate how long they will offer Rosetta 2.

it'll be included until it's no longer needed, same as the original
rosetta, classic, etc.

Stefen Carrolll - frelwizer

Dec 2, 2021, 2:40:15 PM12/2/21
With no reason at all, as is the norm for FromTheRafters. FromTheRafters
just has a ton of completely debatable allegations and he knows it, so
his game is to repeat his BS with flood bots and engage 'friends' (who
are either socks or shills) to 'support' that crap to befuddle his audience.
Can you stop begging for my attention? FromTheRafters is trying again to
slander F-Secure. It was FromTheRafters who got caught using untold numbers
of nyms time and time again, and these are 'people' who come out of the
blue directly into threads where he was being ripped apart... nonstop for
years. He is unmistakably lying, he got scared and he's doing the normal
ego protecting rubbish covered in Trolling 101 as he busts a gut to keep
a hint of legitimacy... but it backfired.

--
I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud

Chris

Dec 2, 2021, 2:49:08 PM12/2/21
Er, it's a lot *less* effort than WINE. There's nothing to install and the
first time you run an intel app it does it's thing without you needing to
do anything.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Dec 2, 2021, 4:29:19 PM12/2/21
On 2 Dec 2021 at 13:38:51 GMT, "John" <M...@the.keyboard> wrote:

> To a constant user of Apple M1 Silicon and the most recent version of
> OSX, Rosetta is probably easy, simple, useful, wonderful and bloody
> magical but, to me it is not apparent that this is so. Not yet.

It's completely transparent. The only way I can tell which apps are
using Rosetta2 are by looking in Activity Monitor and enabling the
'kind' column to see it listed there.

Where you around for the PPC to Intel transition? It's at least as good
as that, ie irrelevant to the end user.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.
-- J R R Tolkien

David Kennedy

Dec 3, 2021, 1:57:00 AM12/3/21
On 02/12/2021 21:29, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2021 at 13:38:51 GMT, "John" <M...@the.keyboard> wrote:
>
>> To a constant user of Apple M1 Silicon and the most recent version of
>> OSX, Rosetta is probably easy, simple, useful, wonderful and bloody
>> magical but, to me it is not apparent that this is so. Not yet.
>
> It's completely transparent. The only way I can tell which apps are
> using Rosetta2 are by looking in Activity Monitor and enabling the
> 'kind' column to see it listed there.
>
> Where you around for the PPC to Intel transition? It's at least as good
> as that, ie irrelevant to the end user.

Better. Much better.

At that time 10.0, I was able to make tea while waiting for some
processes/apps to load.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 6:36:08 AM12/3/21
In article <jpudnQMI7MknIjT8...@brightview.co.uk>, David
Kennedy <davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> >> To a constant user of Apple M1 Silicon and the most recent version of
> >> OSX, Rosetta is probably easy, simple, useful, wonderful and bloody
> >> magical but, to me it is not apparent that this is so. Not yet.
> >
> > It's completely transparent. The only way I can tell which apps are
> > using Rosetta2 are by looking in Activity Monitor and enabling the
> > 'kind' column to see it listed there.
> >
> > Where you around for the PPC to Intel transition? It's at least as good
> > as that, ie irrelevant to the end user.
>
> Better. Much better.
>
> At that time 10.0, I was able to make tea while waiting for some
> processes/apps to load.

that was because 10.0 was slow, which predated ppc->intel by several
years.

by the time of the ppc->intel transition with 10.4.4, macos x was fast
enough to be usable.

the 68k->ppc transition was the most complete transition due to mixed
mode, where the first ppc macs were faster than the fastest 68k macs.

Chris

Dec 3, 2021, 6:52:27 AM12/3/21
On 30/11/2021 08:57, Alan B wrote:
> Give me Fibonacci and the Golden Mean any day ;-)

Just had a quick on the Marsenne forum and this (small) covers the M1
hardware:
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=26183

Some of the details are above my head, but it theory GIMPS wouldn't run
very fast under Rosetta 2. GIMPS uses CPU extensions for speed which
Rosetta 2 doesn't implement.

The best option will be an M1 port which doesn't seem to be a massive
priority for them.

Same issues being seen by the Folding@Home forum:
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=36454&p=346115&hilit=Apple+Silicon#p346115

Seems that the Rosetta emulation is for a very old intel architecture so
it doesn't support many intel hardware extensions which these tools are
dependent on.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 7:25:09 AM12/3/21
In article <sod1rf$5q5$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>, Alan
B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> > Seems that the Rosetta emulation is for a very old intel architecture so
> > it doesn't support many intel hardware extensions which these tools are
> > dependent on.
>
> Shame. What will happen if the ARM version of Windows takes off?

eventually it will, once the exclusive with qualcomm expires.

> Surely
> that would put pressure on the developers to port the product to
> architectures other than Intel?

the better developers already have.

the stupid ones ignore reality until it's too late.

Chris

Dec 3, 2021, 9:50:24 AM12/3/21
On 03/12/2021 12:16, Alan B wrote:
> Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> Just had a quick on the Marsenne forum and this (small) covers the M1
>> hardware:
>> https://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=26183
>>
>> Some of the details are above my head, but it theory GIMPS wouldn't run
>> very fast under Rosetta 2. GIMPS uses CPU extensions for speed which
>> Rosetta 2 doesn't implement.
>>
>> The best option will be an M1 port which doesn't seem to be a massive
>> priority for them.
>>
>> Same issues being seen by the Folding@Home forum:
>> https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=36454&p=346115&hilit=Apple+Silicon#p346115
>>
>> Seems that the Rosetta emulation is for a very old intel architecture so
>> it doesn't support many intel hardware extensions which these tools are
>> dependent on.
>
> Shame. What will happen if the ARM version of Windows takes off? Surely
> that would put pressure on the developers to port the product to
> architectures other than Intel?

Seemingly, they already have semi-working Arm ports, but these projects
don't have loads of support so have to prioritise massively and will be
reliant on M1 Mac users for feedback. An M1 port will come in time.

Chris

Dec 3, 2021, 9:53:25 AM12/3/21
That's unfair. These scientific projects are funded by public money and
aren't awash with resources to port to every new platform as it is
released. As people refresh their Macs M1 demand will grow and ports
will be made.

nospam

Dec 3, 2021, 10:10:20 AM12/3/21
In article <sodb12$5lc$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Surely
> >> that would put pressure on the developers to port the product to
> >> architectures other than Intel?
> >
> > the better developers already have.
> >
> > the stupid ones ignore reality until it's too late.
>
> That's unfair.

it's harsh, but it's true.

> These scientific projects are funded by public money and
> aren't awash with resources to port to every new platform as it is
> released. As people refresh their Macs M1 demand will grow and ports
> will be made.

i wasn't referring specifically to that. it was a generalized comment.

some companies see where the industry is moving and are ready for the
changes. other companies ignore it and lose to competitors.

perhaps one of the most famous examples is kodak, who *invented*
digital photography and could have been a market leader, as they were
with film. instead, they relied on film sales and processing, ignoring
what was happening in the industry. they went bankrupt.

Richard Tobin

Dec 4, 2021, 8:30:08 AM12/4/21
In article <sodb12$5lc$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>That's unfair. These scientific projects are funded by public money and
>aren't awash with resources to port to every new platform as it is
>released. As people refresh their Macs M1 demand will grow and ports
>will be made.

There's no chance of the university buying me a new Mac to port the
software we write, and research projects never have money for
maintaining the resulting software. We just have to wait until
someone gets a new Mac, either of their own or paid for by a new
project.

Fortunately our software won't need any porting - it's just a question
of recompiling so we can distribute binaries.

-- Richard

Chris

Dec 4, 2021, 9:15:03 AM12/4/21
Richard Tobin <ric...@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> In article <sodb12$5lc$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's unfair. These scientific projects are funded by public money and
>> aren't awash with resources to port to every new platform as it is
>> released. As people refresh their Macs M1 demand will grow and ports
>> will be made.
>
> There's no chance of the university buying me a new Mac to port the
> software we write, and research projects never have money for
> maintaining the resulting software.

Ain't that the truth. Keep having to create new important features just to
get funding.

> We just have to wait until
> someone gets a new Mac, either of their own or paid for by a new
> project.

Luckily I was able to get one when I moved to my new role over the summer
:)

Diesel Kook

Dec 4, 2021, 2:14:42 PM12/4/21
Until Silver "Christ Hater" Slimer offers up his 'more advanced' Windows
solution for testing, there is no challenge, just irrational contentions.

Other than Silver "Christ Hater" Slimer, who doesn't know what I am doing?

Anyway, it should not matter because the name on a post does not matter,
it's the content that counts. The content clearly is a bunch of delusional
Silver "Christ Hater" Slimer-like crap. We know what that means. Rambling
cretin.

Contrary to Silver "Christ Hater" Slimer's claim that he has "no experience
in making automated posts" (a lie as demonstrated by the fact that he posts
over 1000 times a month) he was seen asking support staff how they would
automate posting through Google Groups.

His dream is to see RonB annoyed by idiotic lying. And hey, that could
work.

--
This broke the Internet!
<https://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-423-491-1448>

Steve Carroll

Dec 5, 2021, 6:44:42 AM12/5/21
Once Wolffan realized how convincing Snit sock Larry Washington is at playing
'injured party' he has figured out this is not as outta whack as it was
claimed.

Steven Petruzzellis: Narcissistic Bigot. Just look at your videos and
look at mine, there is nothing for anyone to learn from a jerk like Snit
sock Larry Washington. But knock yourself out, let him keep making a fool
of himself. Unfortunately there are too many "let's attack Wolffan for
no reason" Linux users and not enough users with the patience to help the
people with Linux gear.

--
One Smart Penny
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GOVPUB-GP3-53521b56d37f77e8febfe0902a635dd5/pdf/GOVPUB-

John

Dec 8, 2021, 11:12:42 PM12/8/21
Interesting, thank you.

>Same issues being seen by the Folding@Home forum:
>https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=36454&p=346115&hilit=Apple+Silicon#p346115
>
>Seems that the Rosetta emulation is for a very old intel architecture so
>it doesn't support many intel hardware extensions which these tools are
>dependent on.

That's a bit odd, but liveable with for most, I suppose.

Thank you and have a lovely Christmas,
J.

John

Dec 8, 2021, 11:15:48 PM12/8/21
Just as a datapoint: I run a BOINC set on a Samsung Android tablet
using a third-party WINEy thing. The writer is a volunteer who
probably did it for fun, to see if he could.

A non-Intel M1 wrapper will probably get done the same way,
eventually.

J.

Dustin Crook

Dec 9, 2021, 9:30:12 AM12/9/21
Most advocates in this forum do customizations either as a hobby or as a
profession, so I doubt more than a few consider automation to be "a black
art". Ryan Sullivan asked to be rated according to direct statistical evidence,
which RonB accommodated.
Gremlin Dustin Cook:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=gremlin+dustin+cook>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=gremlin+dustin+cook>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gremlin+dustin+cook>

Functionally Illiterate Fraud:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=functionally+illiterate+fraud>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=functionally+illiterate+fraud>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=functionally+illiterate+fraud>

Steve Carroll Petruzzellis:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+carroll+petruzzellis>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=steve+carroll+petruzzellis>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=steve+carroll+petruzzellis>

Narcissistic Bigot:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=narcissistic+bigot>
<https://www.bing.com/search?q=narcissistic+bigot>
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=narcissistic+bigot>
You likely think Fluxbox handles the desktop well. Nope. Not compared to
what normal people use. Ryan Sullivan has toned down the zillions of narcissistic,
senseless attacks he used to post but he is certainly not much different
in the truthfulness territory. He just uses sock puppets more now to produce
those attacks.

--
Get Rich Slow!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmOycD4yKU

STALKING_TARGET_46

Dec 9, 2021, 7:40:49 PM12/9/21
The Thing calls it "trolling" him, even though he continues to give rise
to that exact response. Contrary to The Thing's claim that he has "no skill
in making a spam bot" (a lie as evidenced by the fact that he hacked Kelly
Phillips's Gmail account) he was seen asking programmers how they would
trick someone to give up their password.

My opinion: Even if you were merely learning to annoy others, the belief
that gaining wisdom as being one of having "diddly" to show for it doesn't
follow because you'll clearly have the wisdom to show for it and knowledge
is important for the future.

--
Get Rich Slow!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dustin+cook+the+functionally+illiterate+fraud

Onion Knight

Dec 9, 2021, 11:37:34 PM12/9/21
LOL! Right, Onion Knight is seeking to sell a WordPress reference, which
anyone can get for free, that anyone can learn from a video. If he wasn't
so lost he'd figure out how ignorant he proves himself to be ;)

It was Onion Knight who was openly asking how better to better his forgeries.

Onion Knight suffers from senile lies so, to him, everything, even treating
him as he treats others, are "attacks". Who *doesn't* know this?

--
Top Ten Ways Onion Knight Trolls
https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22

Gremlin the Functionally Illiterate Fraud

Dec 10, 2021, 2:01:53 AM12/10/21
On Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 9:15:48 PM UTC-7, John wrote:
Why would you want to cap all commands on GNU/Linux to what can be done on
Windows and macOS? Can you stop pleading for my attention? I am about to
give up on him, myself. Like all jerks, he is constantly looking for some
way to blame, no matter how silly the allegation. I will not see his response
to this post. He is humiliated, wants to pretend he is innocent, and will
berate. Most likely opening with a huffy "Ha!", as if what I have written
is *so* off base. That BADish "game plan" was him going too far, for me.
And given how frequently it is clear that chrisv's .sig file is some exaggeration
of a remark -hh wrote which had been a bodyslam on chrisv for something he
did which was insane/inaccurate/etc... its clearly a common sign of chrisv's
deep rooted distress for having been so regularly humiliated. Thanks to chrisv
and his 'buddies' you now need a whitelist. If -hh and others start responding
to him again I will feel compelled to... as I hate him too much to not. I'm
referring to our clan here, not socks, who have been responding to him all
along. <giggle>

--
Top Six Ways chrisv Trolls
https://winthropmemorials.org/veterans/eightnames/files/Eight-Names-Winthrops-

Snit Michael Glasser

Dec 10, 2021, 5:28:56 AM12/10/21
I didn't even know F. Russell already had a history of not only falsifying
so called evidence, but also having already been caught openly doing it
and trying to pass it off as the real McCoy. The encryption is real, its
presence at any point in time being on your Chrome virtual drive is a
ghost image. Snit has been over this, in excruciating detail previously,
F. Russell.

F. Russell claimed the verbiage were entirely consistent with many of
the socks. Well, why is he having such trouble backing his claim up when
asked to do so? In other words, if his statement was supportable, and
not just a silly attempt to come to Snits rescue?
F. Russell: <XnsACC9F3...@z9kfcl9n7KHDpF0eI.64L>
-----
Yea, I call bullshit on that. Driver media doesn't have a valid
boot sector present. As a result, the machine wouldn't have
refused to reboot because the disk was left behind.
-----

A reasoned response would be for you to just note your error -- of course
you were wrong to say "the machine would not have refused to reboot because
the disk was left behind." That is in fact exactly what was happening.

And you were wrong to say I suggested this was true of machines other
than the one being noted in Carroll's trolling.

--
E-commerce Simplified!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud

Michael Glasser

Dec 10, 2021, 1:12:51 PM12/10/21
On Monday, November 29, 2021 at 11:50:17 AM UTC-7, John wrote:
> Hi,
> as the subject says, I'm really, really tempted by the new,
> super-duper M1 Max Pro Hypergood Excessively Powerful Chippy type
> Macbook Pro but I have a question I can't find an answer to on Apple's
> site so I thought I'd ask you guys.
>
> I run, as a hobby, in the name of my wife, distributed computing
> projects on my old, spinning rust MBP. These are GIMPS [the Great
> Internet Mersenne Prime Search at https:///www.mersenne.org ] and
> BOINCy stuff like SETI@HOME [https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ ] and
> their protein-folding, MilkyWay, Einstein and other stuff.
>
> These run in the background, get the hell out of the way when I'm
> doing intensive work and generally "just work".
>
> But ... they do shitloads of CPU and GPU operations. They also
> write to disc, a lot. They keep the boxes I've run them on quite warm
> much of the time so they are definitely processor intensive, RAM
> intensive and sort of I/O writey.
>
> My question, to which I am too inexperienced in Mac-Magics to be
> able to find the answer is: would these totally fuck up a new box that
> only has SSD storage? Would distributed computing tasks kill an SSD
> drive fastly?
>
> Or are new SSD's immune to wear?
>
> If they *would* does anyone know whether I could run the softwares,
> with all of their writes and reads off of an external spinning rust
> hard-drive? I can find a couple of small ones of those if I need to
> but I'm not sure whether MBP's will run softwares from them from
> start-up and continuously.
>
> This is a deal-breaker. If DC does wipe out SSD's like I wipe out
> Pot Noodles and bacon sarnies, I'm never going to buy one.
>
> So ...
>
> Opinions? Facts? Help making up my mind, please?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Merry Christmas and I hope everyone has a nicer, mask-free,
> flu-free, SARS-free New Year.
>
> Take care, everyone and try to avoid all those nasty mutants.
>
> J.

The Thing refuses to takes culpability for his own posts. Actions that are
easily quoted. There is no question at least some of the posts are hand
generated because some of them are keyed in to posts that occur in very
specific ways with clear thought behind them. Which can only be The Thing.
Proof The Thing accuses everyone of being Snit http://sandman.net/files/snit_circus.png.
I have a program I use as well, but it's better than yours. The Clam engine
had a false positive hit, and the CLI clamXav reported what the signal processor
which isn't created by the same fools or company reported it. Any horribly
butthurt insomniac could easily do the same.

--
Top Six Ways The Thing Trolls
<http://web.archive.org/web/20200911090855/https://www.usphonebook.com/423-