OS8.6 date reversion

Liz Tuddenham

Nov 15, 2021, 5:11:53 AM11/15/21
Beige G3 running OS8.6

The date has reverted to 1921, is there a 'hack' that will correct it?

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

nospam

Nov 15, 2021, 5:31:52 AM11/15/21
In article <9bto7p.1tpegsb14jz9xiN%l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
Liz Tuddenham <l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Beige G3 running OS8.6
>
> The date has reverted to 1921, is there a 'hack' that will correct it?

sounds like this issue:

<http://www.mactcp.org.nz/macos2020.html>
Vintage Macs are now suffering from problems setting the date
to 2020 and beyond, often referred to as a Y2K20 Bug. There
is an existing solution, bbraun's free SetDate utility, which is
functional, but not a familiar way to set the time on a Mac.
The Date & Time control panel on System 7.1 and later is limited
to a range of 1920 to 2019 by an operating system function called
ToggleDate. I have created an extension that installs a patch that
changes that range to 1941 to 2040, just drag the patch to the
System Folder and restart the computer.

D.M. Procida

Nov 15, 2021, 6:32:19 AM11/15/21
On 15 Nov 2021 at 10:11:51 GMT, "Liz Tuddenham" <Liz Tuddenham> wrote:

> Beige G3 running OS8.6
>
> The date has reverted to 1921, is there a 'hack' that will correct it?

I don't know, sorry.

But maybe you could embrace it? 2021 feels like the end times: a state of
perpetual war, global plague, climate catastrophe looming.

1921 on the other hand... the War was over, and the next big one wasn't due
for near 20 years.

Western art and culture and music had entered a period of flourishing
invention and creativity that would transform everything that followed (my new
MacBook can trace a direct line of descent from design principles expressed in
the Bauhaus). Science and technology had turned away from bellicose
applications to transform medicine, architecture, communications...

It's true that we know what happened next, but still, nobody knew that then,
and I bet it felt better than it does now.

Daniele

Liz Tuddenham

Nov 15, 2021, 9:12:33 AM11/15/21
Brilliant! You've just given my Mac another 19 years of useful life,
...can you do the same for me please? :-)

Liz Tuddenham

Nov 15, 2021, 2:40:34 PM11/15/21
Everything now seems to be working properly again and I only have to
deal with a few e-mails (in Claris Emailer 1.0.1) that heve the wrong
creation dates and aren't where they should be in the filing system.

I seem to remember there was a utility a long time ago that allowed the
creation date to be changed, I've looked on PureMac in case it is still
there, but I can't find it. Do you happen to know what it was?

nospam

Nov 15, 2021, 2:50:40 PM11/15/21
In article <1pipa29.e1ys3z7penyN%l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>, Liz
Tuddenham <l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I seem to remember there was a utility a long time ago that allowed the
> creation date to be changed, I've looked on PureMac in case it is still
> there, but I can't find it. Do you happen to know what it was?

resedit and resorcerer could do that.

there are other options, but it's been too long and my neurons have
been repurposed.

Liz Tuddenham

Nov 15, 2021, 3:36:25 PM11/15/21
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1pipa29.e1ys3z7penyN%l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>, Liz
> Tuddenham <l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I seem to remember there was a utility a long time ago that allowed the
> > creation date to be changed, I've looked on PureMac in case it is still
> > there, but I can't find it. Do you happen to know what it was?
>
> resedit and resorcerer could do that.

Resedit did it, many thanks.

David Kennedy

Nov 16, 2021, 2:37:29 AM11/16/21
On 15/11/2021 13:11, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> Brilliant! You've just given my Mac another 19 years of useful life,
> ...can you do the same for me please? :-)

Wouldn't that be nice?

Which reminded me of a little piece of graffiti I saw some years ago -

"My mother made me a homosexual"

Underneath which some wag had written -

"If I get the wool will she make me one?"

Mike Dee

Nov 22, 2021, 10:16:52 PM11/22/21
Liz Tuddenham wrote:

> Brilliant! You've just given my Mac another 19 years of useful life,
> ...can you do the same for me please? :-)

Dunno if you got the patch from Glenn Anderson's page, specific to the
2020 bug with patches for vintage Macs (and work as advertised):

2020Patch 1.0 <http://mactcp.net/macos2020.html>

--
dee

Jeff Relf

Nov 23, 2021, 3:42:26 AM11/23/21
You can say I am Snoop Dogg for all I care.

Jeff Relf is trying again to slime Malwarebytes. How is barely used a
universal consciousness tied to a random neuron generator in any way going
to lead to intelligent newsgroup posting? You've proven only what a moron
you are. Effectively everything Jeff Relf says about what Mike Easter
has done is false. He has yet to realize people are not as stupid as he
needs them to be.

--
Get Rich Slow!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=dustin%20cook%20functionally%20illiterate%20fraud

Liz Tuddenham

Nov 23, 2021, 7:07:01 AM11/23/21
Yes. It sorted out the problem straight away and all I had to do after
that was use ResEdit to to correct some file dates that had gone wrong
just before I installed the patch.