Cellular Apple Watch

Theo

Sep 17, 2021, 9:44:31 AMSep 17
Is it me or is the cellular version of the Apple Watch pretty limited in the
UK? The eSIM implementation in the Watch isn't a regular eSIM, it's
'special', and it needs carrier support. Only EE, O2 and Vodafone support
it.

For those you need to have an iPhone on a contract deal. /And then/ you
need to pay an additional monthly contract (~£20pm) to connect the watch.

But I suspect many people don't care about sharing the same number as their
phone or receiving texts on their watch, which is the only reason to have a
tie to your iPhone's number. They just want a data connection on the watch
for, say, maps or streaming music or maybe chat. But nobody offers PAYG or
even SIM-only contracts for the watch, so you can't do that. It's not like
you're going to be watching videos on your watch so I don't imagine it's
going to eat much data, and £20 is pretty steep for that.

Seems like it's being crippled by carriers. I suppose people also buy the
cellular version for the GPS, but frustrating that a useful feature is
limited in this way...

Theo

nospam

Sep 17, 2021, 10:03:25 AMSep 17
In article <Reh*UB...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Is it me or is the cellular version of the Apple Watch pretty limited in the
> UK? The eSIM implementation in the Watch isn't a regular eSIM, it's
> 'special', and it needs carrier support. Only EE, O2 and Vodafone support
> it.

it's a regular esim.

the problem is there needs to be carrier support because the watch is
paired with an iphone and mapped to the same number as the phone at the
carrier's end.

last year, apple added family setup, designed so that other family
members can have a cellular apple watch without an iphone, mostly for
kids who are too young to have a phone but can still communicate with
their parents if needed.

each watch has its own number, although it needs to be part of a
'family', which can be friend, neighbor, etc.

Martin S Taylor

Sep 17, 2021, 10:12:58 AMSep 17
On Sep 17, 2021, Theo wrote
(in article <Reh*UB...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>):

> Seems like it's being crippled by carriers. I suppose people also buy the
> cellular version for the GPS, but frustrating that a useful feature is
> limited in this way...

Valentina has an Apple Watch with an eSIM, and is happy to pay the extra. She
finds it useful when she's jogging, so that she can leave her iPhone at home.

I'm of the opposite persuasion, and have the watch without a SIM; if I ever
go jogging I take my iPhone with me if I need internet access or leave it at
home if I don't.

MST

Diesel / Gremlin

Sep 17, 2021, 11:09:21 PMSep 17
Who _ doesn't_ know that this kind of crap is Rod Speed's MO, not the
MO of Shadow? It's all just projection... the endless posting, the forging,
the writing of nonsense, the anger... the puffy red eyes and willingness
to show how ashamed he is over being banned from the sandbox for pissing
in it again... just what Rod Speed does ;) I'm about to give up on him,
myself. Like all jerks, he is continually looking for some way to criticize,
no matter how bizarre the accusation. I will not read his response to
this post. He's humiliated, wants to protect what is left of his honor,
and will attack. Most likely starting with a huffy "<snip>", as if what
I have written is SO off base. That BADish "strategy" was the final indignity,
for me. No one who isn't just using you for trouble-making aim (isn't
a sock) sees you as anything remotely close to honorable. You have few
but yourself to point to for that. All that Rod Speed cares about is
that Rod Speed gets to deliver his crank call and then hang up and giggle
about it. The fact that Shadow is an unwitting victim on the other end
of the phone is the game. At one point, Rod Speed said a COLA denizen
was "obsessing" over him, which was shown to be merely replying to his
posts.

--
Best CMS Solution of 2017!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dustin%20cook%20functionally%20illiterate%20fraud

Diesel / Gremlin

Sep 18, 2021, 12:12:37 AMSep 18
Just give it up already. Shadow is again trying to bolster himself beyond
his grade. He's the village idiot and his many idiotic posts show this. I
thought showing someone I know where he lives might help the situation. It
did not. If William Poaster has 'myFile.pdf' open in a user space program
such as emacs and Shadow wants to change its name to 'c.pdf' via a hot key
when printing it as an edited PDF, William Poaster's video might be of value.

For most I would simply say the comment is suspicious. Given that it's Shadow
I would drop that step and go straight to 'bullshit' because that's most
of what Shadow does. No need to find evidence before accusing Shadow of lying.

I can reverse engineer a bonobo with my brain. That's what Shadow does when
he gets humiliated. He quickly creates a puppet, starts a trolling thread
so he can claim it was William Poaster. Hey it was my left hand... and then
Shadow replies to himself with his right hand.

Shadow continues to reference the doxing story he wrote about me, even tho
William Poaster clearly said that he KNOWS HE LIED about it.

--
"You'll notice how quickly he loses interest when everything is about him.
He clearly wants the attention"

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 19, 2021, 12:36:55 PMSep 19
Notably, although such 'iPhoneless' watches need to be cellular, they DO
NOT need a cellular connection. Mrs has been using my old watch 4
cellular, which has never even had an e-sim activated.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Homographic homophonic autantonyms: "They're words
that do their job in the most sullen, passive-aggressive

Ian McCall

Sep 21, 2021, 5:26:24 AMSep 21
On 17 Sep 2021, Martin S Taylor wrote
(in article<0001HW.26F4D9E800...@news.eternal-september.org>):
If I were doing it again, I’d go non-cellular. I really don’t get use out
of the cellular aspect of the watch - yes I can listen to -some- music, but
you can’t pair it to a car so that’s that use case gone, it’s clumsy to
reply to messages (unavoidable I feel) so that’s -that- aspect gone...

I just don’t feel I’m getting the use from the cellular aspect of it I
thought I might.

Cheers,
Ian

Theo

Sep 21, 2021, 7:52:07 AMSep 21
Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:
> If I were doing it again, I’d go non-cellular. I really don’t get use out
> of the cellular aspect of the watch - yes I can listen to -some- music, but
> you can’t pair it to a car so that’s that use case gone, it’s clumsy to
> reply to messages (unavoidable I feel) so that’s -that- aspect gone...
>
> I just don’t feel I’m getting the use from the cellular aspect of it I
> thought I might.

Do you use the GPS at all?

I'm wondering whether the keyboard on the Watch 7 will make it to the Watch
6, and whether that will make replying to things easier.

The theory goes that Apple were going to ship a more radical redesign for the 7,
but there was a late-stage manufacturing problem and so they've thrown some
parts like the display for the intended 7 into the 6 and called it a new 7.
Due to the delay they haven't started manufacturing yet, which is why
there's no release date:
https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple-watch-7-leaks-prossers-theory-3808545/
It seems the SoC is essentially the same as last year:
https://wccftech.com/apple-watch-series-7-features-same-s6-chipset-as-last-year-model/

And so it's unclear whether that extra 1mm of screen is going to materially
make a difference to the usability, or if it's just a distraction from the
fact that most things are the same as last year?

Theo

nospam

Sep 21, 2021, 8:31:57 AMSep 21
In article <xvw*yh...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, Theo
<theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm wondering whether the keyboard on the Watch 7 will make it to the Watch
> 6, and whether that will make replying to things easier.

it will not due to limited screen space.

> The theory goes that Apple were going to ship a more radical redesign for the
> 7,
> but there was a late-stage manufacturing problem and so they've thrown some
> parts like the display for the intended 7 into the 6 and called it a new 7.

conspiracy theory.

the current design was locked in last year.

> And so it's unclear whether that extra 1mm of screen is going to materially
> make a difference to the usability, or if it's just a distraction from the
> fact that most things are the same as last year?

the body of the watch is 1mm bigger, and the display goes further to
the edge. it's a noticeable improvement.