Monterey

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeff Gaines

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 5:34:17 AM11/26/21
to

My Mac Mini M1 is offering to upgrade to Monterey ( around 12 GB).

I haven't seen any negative comments in here, is it safe to go ahead?

Thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.
It was a right bugger to get him back when he ran off.

David Brooks

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 6:04:08 AM11/26/21
to
On 26/11/2021 10:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
> My Mac Mini M1 is offering to upgrade to Monterey ( around 12 GB).
>
> I haven't seen any negative comments in here, is it safe to go ahead?
>
> Thanks.

Yes. It's working really well for me! :-D

Jeff Gaines

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 6:25:40 AM11/26/21
to
On 26/11/2021 in message
<snqfq9$mg7$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> Alan B wrote:

>Alan B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>>Jeff Gaines <jgaines...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>My Mac Mini M1 is offering to upgrade to Monterey ( around 12 GB).
>>>
>>>I haven't seen any negative comments in here, is it safe to go ahead?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>
>>No problems here - go for it :-) Working well on my M1 MBP and my Intel
>>Mac.
>>
>
>Just a thought. 12.1 should be out soon, so you could wait if you have any
>concerns, e.g. The memory leak issue which some have seen. I had one
>instance of it some weeks ago but nothing since then.

OK, thanks :-)

It's currently running Big Sur and has re-booted several times "due to a
problem", not sure how long to let it happen before I consider asking Apple.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

David Brooks

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 7:58:58 AM11/26/21
to
You may enjoy a free 'medical' with EtreCheck to try to identify your
current problem.

Access here:- https://etrecheck.com/

HTH

John Smith

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 8:06:40 AM11/26/21
to
EtreCheckPro will help:-

Find serious problems on your Mac;
Remove annoying adware;
Get help on Apple Support Communities; and
See just what your Mac is doing on the inside.

Safety:
EtreCheckPro does not install files in hidden directories;
EtreCheckPro reports protect your personal information when posted
online; and
EtreCheckPro makes no changes without your consent.

Reliability:
EtreCheckPro will not slow down your machine;
EtreCheckPro will not cause other apps to crash; and
EtreCheckPro uses little memory while running and no memory when not
running.

Ian McCall

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 10:22:41 AM11/26/21
to
On 26 Nov 2021, Alan B wrote
(in article<snqfq9$mg7$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>):

> Just a thought. 12.1 should be out soon, so you could wait if you have any
> concerns, e.g. The memory leak issue which some have seen. I had one
> instance of it some weeks ago but nothing since then.

I’ve had an instance of that too, and it has gradually become very slow
over time. A restart puts it back again but...yeah.

Can’t pin down what’s happening - doesn’t seem consistent.

Cheers,
Ian


nospam

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 10:33:30 AM11/26/21
to
In article <0001HW.2751333F00...@news.individual.net>,
Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:

> > Just a thought. 12.1 should be out soon, so you could wait if you have any
> > concerns, e.g. The memory leak issue which some have seen. I had one
> > instance of it some weeks ago but nothing since then.
>
> I靶e had an instance of that too, and it has gradually become very slow
> over time. A restart puts it back again but...yeah.
>
> Can靖 pin down what零 happening - doesn靖 seem consistent.

<https://eclecticlight.co/2021/11/15/montereys-memory-leak-and-how-to-av
oid-it/>
The cause has now been isolated to a single group of settings in one
preference pane, Accessibility. All Macs which appear to suffer this
leak are using custom pointer controls in the Pointer tab of the
Display, specifically a larger than normal Pointer size and custom
outline and fill colours. The latter two items are one of the new
features in Monterey, and have proved popular with users. (Note that
this interface device is termed a pointer, not a cursor, a common
error.)

Ian McCall

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 10:43:58 AM11/26/21
to
On 26 Nov 2021, nospam wrote
(in article<261120211033265753%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

> In article<0001HW.2751333F00...@news.individual.net>,
> Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:
>
> > > Just a thought. 12.1 should be out soon, so you could wait if you have any
> > > concerns, e.g. The memory leak issue which some have seen. I had one
> > > instance of it some weeks ago but nothing since then.
> >
> > I¹ve had an instance of that too, and it has gradually become very slow
> > over time. A restart puts it back again but...yeah.
> >
> > Can¹t pin down what¹s happening - doesn¹t seem consistent.
>
> <https://eclecticlight.co/2021/11/15/montereys-memory-leak-and-how-to-av
> oid-it/>
> The cause has now been isolated to a single group of settings in one
> preference pane, Accessibility. All Macs which appear to suffer this
> leak are using custom pointer controls in the Pointer tab of the
> Display, specifically a larger than normal Pointer size and custom
> outline and fill colours. The latter two items are one of the new
> features in Monterey, and have proved popular with users. (Note that
> this interface device is termed a pointer, not a cursor, a common
> error.)

I saw that, but unfortunately it’s not correct - mine doesn’t have that
and the site I saw the news on (wasn’t that one - either MacRumors or
9to5Mac) said theirs didn’t either. Have just this second looked and yep -
pointer size listed as ’Normal’.

Cheers,
Ian


nospam

unread,
Nov 26, 2021, 11:14:10 AM11/26/21
to
In article <0001HW.2751383C00...@news.individual.net>,
Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:

> > > Can1t pin down what1s happening - doesn1t seem consistent.
> >
> > <https://eclecticlight.co/2021/11/15/montereys-memory-leak-and-how-to-av
> > oid-it/>
> > The cause has now been isolated to a single group of settings in one
> > preference pane, Accessibility. All Macs which appear to suffer this
> > leak are using custom pointer controls in the Pointer tab of the
> > Display, specifically a larger than normal Pointer size and custom
> > outline and fill colours. The latter two items are one of the new
> > features in Monterey, and have proved popular with users. (Note that
> > this interface device is termed a pointer, not a cursor, a common
> > error.)
>
> I saw that, but unfortunately itąs not correct - mine doesnąt have that
> and the site I saw the news on (wasnąt that one - either MacRumors or
> 9to5Mac) said theirs didnąt either. Have just this second looked and yep -
> pointer size listed as ąNormalą.

it is correct, however, it's not the *only* memory leak.

he links to a second article which adds more:
<https://eclecticlight.co/2021/11/22/more-memory-leaks-in-monterey-12-0-
1-how-to-avoid-them/>

there are likely many others. safari still leaks, although nowhere near
as bad as it used to be.

Calum

unread,
Nov 27, 2021, 5:19:54 PM11/27/21
to
On 26/11/2021 10:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
> My Mac Mini M1 is offering to upgrade to Monterey ( around 12 GB).
>
> I haven't seen any negative comments in here, is it safe to go ahead?

You won't notice much difference if you're already on Big Sur. If you're
upgrading from something older, be prepared for more of a visual shock.


David Brooks

unread,
Nov 28, 2021, 3:44:28 AM11/28/21
to
The instructions are here:-

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT212735

All is working just fine here. 🙂

eastender

unread,
Nov 28, 2021, 12:25:03 PM11/28/21
to
I have it on a partition on my Intel Mini and it was problematic with
some odd Finder issues. I'm running the 12.1 beta now and that
fixedthings but getting some crashes - seems Spotify and probably
Safari not yet up to scratch as they seem to be the culprits.

So i would wait for the official 12.1 which should be out soon but
maybe things are more stable on Apple Silicon.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages