odd location info

whisky-dave

Nov 24, 2021, 8:26:21 AM11/24/21
I was considering buying some extra icloud storage, so logged into icloud on my iMac (big sur) go the usual 2 factor thing but got the message that the Mac/broswer (I was using Firefox) and that to trust it and the map location was in the portsmouth area, but I was in london.

I'ts not the first time this has happened last time when I logged in from work in london it told me I was some else on the south coast.

Just wondering why this happens.

nospam

Nov 24, 2021, 8:45:04 AM11/24/21
In article <0d20ff68-1cbb-49c8...@googlegroups.com>,
for a mac, which does not have cellular or gps, your location is
determined by your ip address, which is approximate. most of the time,
it's close enough, but if your isp offers service in other places,
sometimes it's not.

either that or you have a clone wandering around and causing trouble.

Martin S Taylor

Nov 24, 2021, 9:57:15 AM11/24/21
On Nov 24, 2021, nospam wrote
(in article<241120210845027454%nos...@nospam.invalid>):
Or if you're using a VPN.

MST

nospam

Nov 24, 2021, 10:04:45 AM11/24/21
In article
<0001HW.274E8A4901...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

> > > I was considering buying some extra icloud storage, so logged into icloud
> > > on
> > > my iMac (big sur) go the usual 2 factor thing but got the message that the
> > > Mac/broswer (I was using Firefox) and that to trust it and the map
> > > location
> > > was in the portsmouth area, but I was in london.
> > >
> > > I'ts not the first time this has happened last time when I logged in from
> > > work in london it told me I was some else on the south coast.
> > >
> > > Just wondering why this happens.
> >
> > for a mac, which does not have cellular or gps, your location is
> > determined by your ip address, which is approximate. most of the time,
> > it's close enough, but if your isp offers service in other places,
> > sometimes it's not.
> >
> > either that or you have a clone wandering around and causing trouble.
>
> Or if you're using a VPN.

that too, but normally people are aware they're using a vpn since they
have to intentionally configure it and activate it.

David Brooks

Nov 24, 2021, 10:17:33 AM11/24/21
I don't know WHY, Dave - but it does.

When I'm asked to "Allow" something on one of my devices, it can be
anywhere in England - I nearly said UK but, on reflection, it has always
been somewhere in England.

I have mentioned this in conversation with Apple Support and they have
advised that it's simply a 'quirk in the system'.

The extra cloud storage is well worth the cost IMO.

Chris

Nov 25, 2021, 3:18:45 AM11/25/21
I find that information is next to useless. It never has the right location
for me - not even close - and I no longer even check it.

This is just an apple thing as speedtest.net for example is more accurate.
I'd expect them to do better.

whisky-dave

Nov 25, 2021, 8:21:55 AM11/25/21
Yeah me too, especailly as it's meant to be an extra security check, they might as well
say your're somewhere in the universe for all the good the check does.

whisky-dave

Nov 25, 2021, 8:25:33 AM11/25/21
On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 15:17:33 UTC, David Brooks wrote:
> On 24/11/2021 13:26, whisky-dave wrote:
> > I was considering buying some extra icloud storage, so logged into icloud on my iMac (big sur) go the usual 2 factor thing but got the message that the Mac/broswer (I was using Firefox) and that to trust it and the map location was in the portsmouth area, but I was in london.
> >
> > I'ts not the first time this has happened last time when I logged in from work in london it told me I was some else on the south coast.
> >
> > Just wondering why this happens.
> I don't know WHY, Dave - but it does.
>
> When I'm asked to "Allow" something on one of my devices, it can be
> anywhere in England - I nearly said UK but, on reflection, it has always
> been somewhere in England.

So reasonabley accurate like a PC's file copy estimate ;-)

> I have mentioned this in conversation with Apple Support and they have
> advised that it's simply a 'quirk in the system'.

They should get rid of it as it's misleading as a security check.

> The extra cloud storage is well worth the cost IMO.

yes now I intend to start using it next month a secret santa to myself.

whisky-dave

Nov 25, 2021, 8:29:17 AM11/25/21
That's possible ever since I made my clone invisible I've not been able to find him.
Finding something that is invisible is really difficult I've found or rather not found .

Graeme Wall

Nov 25, 2021, 9:44:38 AM11/25/21
<panto>
He's behind you!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

David Brooks

Nov 26, 2021, 4:30:29 AM11/26/21
On 25/11/2021 13:25, whisky-dave wrote:
> On Wednesday, 24 November 2021 at 15:17:33 UTC, David Brooks wrote:
>> On 24/11/2021 13:26, whisky-dave wrote:
>>> I was considering buying some extra icloud storage, so logged into icloud on my iMac (big sur) go the usual 2 factor thing but got the message that the Mac/broswer (I was using Firefox) and that to trust it and the map location was in the portsmouth area, but I was in london.
>>>
>>> I'ts not the first time this has happened last time when I logged in from work in london it told me I was some else on the south coast.
>>>
>>> Just wondering why this happens.
>> I don't know WHY, Dave - but it does.
>>
>> When I'm asked to "Allow" something on one of my devices, it can be
>> anywhere in England - I nearly said UK but, on reflection, it has always
>> been somewhere in England.
>
> So reasonabley accurate like a PC's file copy estimate ;-)

That expression I do not understand!

>> I have mentioned this in conversation with Apple Support and they have
>> advised that it's simply a 'quirk in the system'.
>
> They should get rid of it as it's misleading as a security check.

Using my iMac .... I have just opened up Apple 'Maps'.
The map shows my EXACT location, so it is obvious that Apple is far more
clever than even 'nospam' gives them credit.

Do you have the same experience when using Apple Maps on YOUR Apple iMac?

>> The extra cloud storage is well worth the cost IMO.
>
> yes now I intend to start using it next month a secret santa to myself.

You won't regret it! :-D

Steve Carroll

Nov 27, 2021, 8:41:16 PM11/27/21
Anyone who groks F. Russell's posts knows the AIM bot is not created in
the nature Carroll is saying, and some of them are of course manually
written. Almost all advocates in this group do scripting either as a leisure
activity or as a profession, so I have doubts anyone here consider writing
macros to be "witch craft".

F. Russell claimed the text mining were entirely consistent with many
of the socks. Interesting, why is he having such a struggle backing his
assertion up when asked to do so? In other words, if his statement was
supportable, and not just a trolling attempt to come to Carrolls rescue?

--
Curious how these posts are made? https://youtu.be/hYQ4Tg0r0g0

Smit Michael Glaser

Nov 28, 2021, 1:28:42 AM11/28/21
Which do you think is the better troll? Shadow or Michael Snit Glasser?
I vote for Michael Snit Glasser; only because he sometimes does figure
out what he reads, even if, sadly, he forgets it sometimes days later.
I have known voices in my head who argue better than Michael Snit Glasser
does. You saying something is so does not make it true.

Usenet is a sovereign convention based on the belief in good character.
I am well aware the stuff I link to from YouTube is complete dabbler
level. That said, it works. You're like a hippo in a chicken coop. We
all see you hiding there and let you know. And you're so foolish you
keep failing to see it.

--
Get Rich Slow!!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22

Gremlin the Functionally Illiterate Fraud

Nov 28, 2021, 12:41:27 PM11/28/21
Sadly this is what happens when really inferior pride takes over Rod Speed's
life. My view is beyond your understanding. These posts are clearly NOT
automated, they are made by a glue sniffing loser with a sick agenda who
has way too much time on his hands.

Rod Speed asked to be rated according to provable trolling measurements,
which Snit Glasser accommodated. Rod Speed is being controlled by a corporation.

Rod Speed is far too unintelligent to write a complex script. The only
scripting he's able to do is automating mouse clicks.

--
Get Rich Slow!
https://www.google.com/search?q=dustin+cook%3A+functionally+illiterate+fraud

Stephen Petruzzellis - fretwizzen 4856

Nov 28, 2021, 6:34:27 PM11/28/21
He'd have to be suffering from dementia to be unsure of if he "never had"
developed a program. Sound like anyone in here? When a guy can not keep
his lies straight and applies make-believe, ego protecting bunk later, it's
rather apparent what his trolling is. It was Wolffan who flooded Snit's
site dozens of times and denied it. Nobody is being controlled by a corporation.

How many more chances does Wolffan's extremely stupid ass (a worm knows
more than Wolffan and is useful) need to prove their Snit flooding accusation
with links?

Wolffan is the only person I know who had a 'demo site' intended to harass
me that quickly turned into broken links with placeholders where photos/multimedia
used to be, and if you hovered over it, you would be reading about a old
post that was deleted for copyright infringement. Honestly, those of you
who troll are not able to manage Snit anymore.

--
Get Rich Slow
https://www.washingtonpost.com/doonesbury/media/mudline/archive?page=10