Apps quitting automatically

Martin S Taylor

Feb 20, 2024, 4:22:50 AMFeb 20
If I use Pages or Numbers and close all the windows, the program
automatically quits when I switch to another program. This used to be seen as
a rather ungainly Windoze thing – when did Apple start doing it?

Martin S Taylor

TimH

Feb 20, 2024, 4:55:06 AMFeb 20
On 20 Feb 2024 at 9:22:48 am GMT, "Martin S Taylor"
That's not happening with Pages here (version 13.0, Sonoma 14.3).
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

TimH

Feb 20, 2024, 5:24:49 AMFeb 20
On 20 Feb 2024 at 9:52:53 am GMT, "Alan B"
<alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> On 2024-02-20, Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com>
> TextEdit does it too :( Probably applies now to all Apple's productivity apps?

Nope, not for me! I had a quick look in System Settings to see if there's some
global setting causing the difference, but quickly gave up I'm afraid.
Sonoma's System Settings is not my happy place.

RJH

Feb 20, 2024, 5:29:12 AMFeb 20
Not here, on an Intel iMac. Maybe it's a silicon thing?

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

J. J. Lodder

Feb 20, 2024, 7:53:59 AMFeb 20
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

There is a setting for it, somewhere. (IIRC)
Like 'Quit app when all windows are closed'.

Would have to search,

Jan

Jörg Lorenz

Feb 20, 2024, 9:48:52 AMFeb 20
I did a search and were not able to find such a setting. In general one
big difference to Windows or Linux is that an application remains active
even when all windows are closed with the red button in the upper left
corner. That also applies to "command+w" which is equivalent. Only the
command "command+q" shuts an application down and ends its processes.

Jörg

--
"Ave Caesar! Morituri te salutant!"

Chris Ridd

Feb 20, 2024, 1:17:41 PMFeb 20
Nor here. Interesting question!

--
Chris

Jörg Lorenz

Feb 21, 2024, 10:51:52 AMFeb 21
Am 20.02.24 um 11:29 schrieb RJH:
macOS 14.3.x is always the same. Has nothing to do with CPU or RAM.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)