Headline News!

David Brooks

Aug 20, 2022, 3:24:19 AM8/20/22
GCN Group, the largest B2B channel network, announced today a global
strategic partnership with Malwarebytes, a provider of real-time cyber
protection. As part of the partnership, Malwarebytes’ advanced endpoint
protection and remediation solutions will be made available to MSPs
through GCN Group’s global network spanning six continents.

“We are excited to add Malwarebytes to our vendor portfolio and offer
its industry-leading cloud-based security and cyber protection solutions
to our wider network. With the increasing threat of ransomware,
Malwarebytes’ endpoint protection and incident response solutions will
enable us to better support organizations with limited resources so they
can successfully combat malware and manage endpoints at scale,” said
Gerard Uson, Global Business Development Director of GCN Group.

As constrained IT and security teams, limited resources, and increased
threat volume continues to stress the security of all businesses, small
and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) are particularly vulnerable. The
collaboration between GNC Global and Malwarebytes equips SMBs with
robust endpoint detection and response (EDR), endpoint protection (EP)
and Incident Response (IR) tools, that automate advanced defenses and
rapidly resolve incidents for ongoing resilience.

“Easily accessible, quality cybersecurity is core to consumer trust and
successful business practices,” said Brian Thomas, Vice President of
Worldwide MSP and Channel Programs for Malwarebytes. “We are committed
to bringing real-time protection along with best-in-class remediation to
organizations of all sizes. Our partnership with GCN Group re-enforces
our commitment to SMBs while also significantly broadening our reach.”

The following cloud-based security management and services is offered
through GCN Group:

Endpoint Protection (EP) – Complete protection and remediation that
predicts threats, proactively blocks attacks, and stops breaches before
they surface.
Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) – Proactive protection that
detects suspicious activity, isolates attacks, investigates threats, and
automatically remediates.
Incident Response (IR) – Automated remediation that thoroughly and
permanently disinfects in a single operation—all in a matter of minutes.

About Malwarebytes

Malwarebytes believes that when people and organizations are free from
threats, they are free to thrive. Founded in 2008, Malwarebytes CEO
Marcin Kleczynski had one mission: to rid the world of malware. Today,
that mission has expanded to provide cyber protection for everyone.
Malwarebytes provides consumers and organizations with device
protection, privacy, and prevention through effective, intuitive, and
inclusive solutions in the home, on-the-go, at work, or on campus. A
world-class team of threat researchers and security experts enable
Malwarebytes to protect millions of customers and combat existing and
never-before-seen threats using artificial intelligence and machine
learning to catch new threats rapidly. With threat hunters and
innovators across the world, the company is headquartered in California
with offices in Europe and Asia. For more information, visit
https://www.malwarebytes.com.

Ref:- https://globalchannelnetwork.com/gcn-group-partners-with-malwarebytes

Aug 20, 2022, 5:31:02 PM8/20/22
On 8/20/22 00:24, David Brooks wrote:
> GCN Group, the largest B2B channel network, announced today a global
> strategic partnership with Malwarebytes, a provider of real-time cyber
> protection. As part of the partnership, Malwarebytes’ advanced endpoint
> protection and remediation solutions will be made available to MSPs
> through GCN Group’s global network spanning six continents.

Uhhhh. Malware Bytes does not work very well.
I hope B2B cleans up Malware Bytes. Good
on junkware, but terrible on viruses.

Sort of like when Watchguard bought Panda.
Watchguard makes wonderful firewalls and has
excellent support. I hope they clean up
Panda too.

David Brooks

Aug 20, 2022, 6:03:50 PM8/20/22
On 20/08/2022 22:30, T wrote:
> On 8/20/22 00:24, David Brooks wrote:
>> GCN Group, the largest B2B channel network, announced today a global
>> strategic partnership with Malwarebytes, a provider of real-time cyber
>> protection. As part of the partnership, Malwarebytes’ advanced
>> endpoint protection and remediation solutions will be made available
>> to MSPs through GCN Group’s global network spanning six continents.
>
> Uhhhh.  Malware Bytes does not work very well.
> I hope B2B cleans up Malware Bytes.  Good
> on junkware, but terrible on viruses.

Dustin Cook agrees with you!

> Sort of like when Watchguard bought Panda.
> Watchguard makes wonderful firewalls and has
> excellent support.  I hope they clean up
> Panda too.

Which, if any, anti-virus software do YOU recommend for use on an Apple
computer?

nospam

Aug 20, 2022, 6:30:58 PM8/20/22
In article <7TcMK.823836$ssF.4...@fx14.iad>, David Brooks
<Da...@invalid.address> wrote:

> Which, if any, anti-virus software do YOU recommend for use on an Apple
> computer?

rm

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 21, 2022, 2:05:21 AM8/21/22
Am 21.08.22 um 00:03 schrieb David Brooks:
> Which, if any, anti-virus software do YOU recommend for use on an Apple
> computer?

None.

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

David Brooks

Aug 21, 2022, 5:18:24 AM8/21/22
On 21/08/2022 07:05, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 21.08.22 um 00:03 schrieb David Brooks:
>> Which, if any, anti-virus software do YOU recommend for use on an Apple
>> computer?
>
> None.

Do you consider the claims made here to be 'snake oil'?

https://www.clamxav.com

One of the biggest puzzles for me is HOW one can be, or become, a
"Reseller" of the product as mentioned here:-

https://www.clamxav.com/reseller/

I really would like some help with this!

Can _anyone_ explain? Please?

--
Kind regards,
David

Kelly Phillips

Aug 21, 2022, 3:27:18 PM8/21/22
On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 10:18:22 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.address>
wrote:

>One of the biggest puzzles for me is HOW one can be, or become, a
>"Reseller" of the product as mentioned here:-
>
>https://www.clamxav.com/reseller/
>
>I really would like some help with this!
>
>Can _anyone_ explain? Please?

You've been asking that exact question repeatedly over the past 5+
years. I can only conclude that you either didn't like the answers
you've already been given, or you've simply forgot that you've already
asked. My guess is that it's the latter. Can you confirm?

David Brooks

Aug 21, 2022, 3:35:06 PM8/21/22
I confirm that I have receieved NO satisfactory answer to my question.

Kelly Phillips

Aug 21, 2022, 6:38:00 PM8/21/22
On Sun, 21 Aug 2022 20:35:04 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
OK, that's progress. You've received multiple answers to your question,
with each of them directly answering what you've asked, so it's obvious
that you're looking for something specific that you think you haven't
been getting. Why not spell out what you would consider to be a
'satisfactory' answer? Alternatively, rephrase your question since it's
apparently not garnering the responses that you'd like to see.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 22, 2022, 12:40:43 AM8/22/22
Am 21.08.22 um 21:35 schrieb David Brooks:
Adjust your expectations.

I said no and that means no. What is unclear or requires further
explanation?

Aug 22, 2022, 2:19:24 AM8/22/22
On 8/20/22 15:03, David Brooks wrote:

> Which, if any, anti-virus software do YOU recommend for use on an Apple
> computer?

I have used Malware Bytes to scan for junkware before.

As for viruses, I go along with Apple:

How do I check my MAC for malware?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8383216?language=en

This describes Apple's build in protection:
https://support.apple.com/guide/security/protecting-against-malware-sec469d47bd8/web

Although it is possible, Mac is not really all that
susceptible to viruses.

David Brooks

Aug 22, 2022, 3:22:11 AM8/22/22
You appear to be confused, Joerg.

I certainly do not recollect you answering my query.

If you DID happen to want to sell the ClamXav product, *HOW* could you
become an approved 'Reseller'?

TIA

--
David

David Brooks

Aug 22, 2022, 3:33:09 AM8/22/22
Thank you so much for answering, 'T'. :-)

We appear to think along the same lines.

Might one construe the answer provided here (Apple Approved)
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8383216?language=en

... to indicate that Apple approves the use of EtreCheck?

Just for a moment I had a notion that the 'advisor', "Tesserax", might
be Teresa 'Tess' Pierce, one of the company directors of Etresoft, the
company which markets Etrecheck.

How silly is that, eh?!!!

--
David

David Brooks

Aug 22, 2022, 4:12:22 AM8/22/22

Aug 22, 2022, 4:25:17 AM8/22/22
On 8/22/22 00:33, David Brooks wrote:

> Might one construe the answer provided here (Apple Approved)
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8383216?language=en
>
> ... to indicate that Apple approves the use of EtreCheck?

I read that somewhere too. I remember actually
trying it once, but could not figure it out.
Or it did not work.

David Brooks

Aug 22, 2022, 4:45:12 AM8/22/22
Have you time to ask on the ASC forums? I'd do so myself, but they have
banned me!

If you do, please supply a link, here.

Thanks.

(Shouldn't you be asleep in your bed?!!!)

FromTheRafters

Aug 22, 2022, 6:54:00 AM8/22/22
It happens that T formulated :
> On 8/20/22 15:03, David Brooks wrote:
>>
>> Which, if any, anti-virus software do YOU recommend for use on an Apple
>> computer?
>
> I have used Malware Bytes to scan for junkware before.
>
> As for viruses, I go along with Apple:
>
> How do I check my MAC for malware?
> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8383216?language=en

That seems to be a glowing recommendation for Etrecheck.

That is, if you are a 'belt and suspenders' type.

Joerg Lorenz

Aug 22, 2022, 8:25:01 AM8/22/22
Am 22.08.22 um 12:53 schrieb FromTheRafters:
> It happens that T formulated :
>> How do I check my MAC for malware?
>> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8383216?language=en
>
> That seems to be a glowing recommendation for Etrecheck.
>
> That is, if you are a 'belt and suspenders' type.

Rather for conspiracists.

--
Ex iniuria ius non oritur

whisky-dave

Aug 22, 2022, 8:45:23 AM8/22/22
Yep that's me although I prefer fishnet stockings and stilettos too if you're offering ;-)

Kelly Phillips

Aug 22, 2022, 12:42:21 PM8/22/22
On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:45:10 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Have you time to ask on the ASC forums? I'd do so myself, but they have
>banned me!

Of course they've banned you (AGAIN, for the umpteenth and hopefully
final time). Some people run afoul of the rules and quickly learn to do
better, while others are incapable or unwilling to learn.

Kelly Phillips

Aug 22, 2022, 12:49:01 PM8/22/22
On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:12:19 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Tell me, can YOU read here?

Umm, I'm responding to you, so of course I can read here.

David Brooks

Aug 22, 2022, 3:41:18 PM8/22/22

David Brooks

Aug 22, 2022, 3:44:25 PM8/22/22
Who ARE *THEY* - EXACTLY?

*NOT* Apple employees are they? Just tin-pot dictators AFAICT.

Kelly Phillips

Aug 22, 2022, 6:49:17 PM8/22/22
On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 20:44:23 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 22/08/2022 17:42, Kelly Phillips wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:45:10 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you time to ask on the ASC forums? I'd do so myself, but they have
>>> banned me!
>>
>> Of course they've banned you (AGAIN, for the umpteenth and hopefully
>> final time). Some people run afoul of the rules and quickly learn to do
>> better, while others are incapable or unwilling to learn.
>
>Who ARE *THEY* - EXACTLY?
>
>*NOT* Apple employees are they? Just tin-pot dictators AFAICT.

I was referring to the person or persons who banned you. Who they are is
irrelevant.

Kelly Phillips

Aug 22, 2022, 7:13:29 PM8/22/22
On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 20:41:16 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 22/08/2022 17:49, Kelly Phillips wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2022 09:12:19 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Tell me, can YOU read here?
>>
>> Umm, I'm responding to you, so of course I can read here.
>
>Different linky:-

I don't know what that means but you've always had trouble with basic
conversations.

David Brooks

Aug 23, 2022, 7:12:34 AM8/23/22
What DAMAGE could using EtreCheck do to one's Apple computer?

Could it, perhaps, leave an open 'backdoor' to subsequently control
one's machine?

Who would know? Who would think to check?

FromTheRafters

Aug 23, 2022, 7:57:43 AM8/23/22
David Brooks pretended :
Isn't that what Apple is supposed to be doing in its vetting of apps?

"On Mac, many apps are obtained from the App Store, but Mac users also
download and use apps from the internet. To safely support internet
downloading, macOS layers additional controls. First, by default in
macOS 10.15 or later, all Mac apps need to be notarized by Apple to
launch."

https://support.apple.com/guide/security/app-security-overview-sec35dd877d0/web

David Brooks

Aug 23, 2022, 9:10:29 AM8/23/22
On 23/08/2022 12:57, FromTheRafters wrote:
> David Brooks pretended :

>>> Rather for conspiracists.
>>
>> What DAMAGE could using EtreCheck do to one's Apple computer?
>>
>> Could it, perhaps, leave an open 'backdoor' to subsequently control
>> one's machine?
>>
>> Who would know? Who would think to check?
>
> Isn't that what Apple is supposed to be doing in its vetting of apps?

Good thinking, FTR!

> "On Mac, many apps are obtained from the App Store, but Mac users also
> download and use apps from the internet. To safely support internet
> downloading, macOS layers additional controls. First, by default in
> macOS 10.15 or later, all Mac apps need to be notarized by Apple to
> launch."
>
> https://support.apple.com/guide/security/app-security-overview-sec35dd877d0/web

I'm not absolutely sure about that ..... so I have asked here:-

https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/identification-of-an-app.374380/

FromTheRafters

Aug 23, 2022, 11:27:42 AM8/23/22
David Brooks laid this down on his screen :
Someone responding to your query said something extra which I believe
was wrong.

https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/definition/application-apps

David Brooks

Aug 23, 2022, 11:42:00 AM8/23/22
Will YOU tell him?

(It's a useful place to have an account!)

FromTheRafters

Aug 23, 2022, 11:44:11 AM8/23/22
David Brooks expressed precisely :
No, there will probably be a barrage of examples to the contrary.

nospam

Aug 23, 2022, 11:52:35 AM8/23/22
In article <te2rlc$314gh$1...@dont-email.me>, FromTheRafters
<F...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> David Brooks laid this down on his screen :

> Someone responding to your query said something extra which I believe
> was wrong.
>
> https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/definition/application-apps

that page is wrong. app is simply short for application.

David Brooks

Aug 23, 2022, 12:13:00 PM8/23/22
Applications are installed.

EtreCheck 'works' *without* being installed.

"Installation:
EtreCheck does not need to be installed. You can run it right from your
Downloads folder."

Stated, here:- https://etrecheck.com/details

Kelly Phillips

Aug 23, 2022, 12:42:42 PM8/23/22
On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 16:41:58 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Will YOU tell him?

That's usually code for "I've been banned again". What happened this
time?

nospam

Aug 23, 2022, 1:12:00 PM8/23/22
In article <e07NK.767040$5fVf....@fx09.iad>, David Brooks
<Da...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> >> David Brooks laid this down on his screen :
> >
> >> Someone responding to your query said something extra which I believe
> >> was wrong.
> >>
> >> https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/definition/application-apps
> >
> > that page is wrong. app is simply short for application.
>
> Applications are installed.

not in the way you think, and that's another hijack attempt.

> EtreCheck 'works' *without* being installed.
>
> "Installation:
> EtreCheck does not need to be installed. You can run it right from your
> Downloads folder."

that doesn't mean anything.

it's installed by virtue of downloading it.

FromTheRafters

Aug 23, 2022, 2:38:52 PM8/23/22

nospam

Aug 23, 2022, 3:00:38 PM8/23/22
In article <te36rq$32b8m$1...@dont-email.me>, FromTheRafters
<F...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

> >> Someone responding to your query said something extra which I believe
> >> was wrong.
> >>
> >> https://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/us/security/definition/application-apps
> >
> > that page is wrong. app is simply short for application.
>
> https://askleo.com/whats-the-difference-between-app-and-application/

he's right in that apps and applications are both software, but he's
wrong about there being a distinction between the two.

he incorrectly claims that the microsoft store (which he calls the
windows store) doesn't have true applications. he claims to be unable
to find a true app there, despite adobe photoshop elements being
available, among many others.

<https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/purchases-win-app-store-f
aq.html>
The Microsoft Store is an application on Windows desktop and
devices (phone or tablet) used to purchase, download, install, and
license applications.

he's also wrong that the distinction began with windows 8.

he claims what is pre-installed in win10 are apps, except win10
includes a number of what he calls applications, including microsoft
edge (also available for other platforms).

he completely ignores the mac app store, which hosts a wide variety of
sophisticated apps, including pages, keynote, final cut and many
others.

long ago, apple had a development framework called macapp. which as a
bit of trivial, was used for the original version of photoshop.

the term 'app' is nothing more than shorthand for application, going
back to at least the 1980s.

David Brooks

Aug 23, 2022, 7:19:36 PM8/23/22
You must go here and read for yourself:-

https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/identification-of-an-app.374380/#post-1917040

Comments welcome!

Kelly Phillips

Aug 23, 2022, 7:42:01 PM8/23/22
On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 00:19:33 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 23/08/2022 17:42, Kelly Phillips wrote:
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 16:41:58 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Will YOU tell him?
>>
>> That's usually code for "I've been banned again". What happened this
>> time?
>
>You must go here and read for yourself:-

I tried to "Never assume -- CHECK!" but it looks as though you can't be
arsed to hold up your end of the stick. Care to try again?

David Brooks

Aug 24, 2022, 2:49:59 AM8/24/22
Sure:- https://imgur.com/gallery/LxLrGbD

Methinks I have touched a nerve!

David Brooks

Aug 24, 2022, 3:10:41 AM8/24/22
Response to 'moderator':-

https://imgur.com/gallery/DLHE6cV

Kelly Phillips

Aug 24, 2022, 3:13:26 PM8/24/22
On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 07:49:57 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 24/08/2022 00:41, Kelly Phillips wrote:
>> On Wed, 24 Aug 2022 00:19:33 +0100, David Brooks <Da...@invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> You must go here and read for yourself:-
>>
>> I tried to "Never assume -- CHECK!" but it looks as though you can't be
>> arsed to hold up your end of the stick. Care to try again?
>
>Sure:-
>
>Methinks I have touched a nerve!

Are you just incapable of actually typing a response to my question?

David Brooks

Aug 26, 2022, 4:34:38 PM8/26/22
On 23/08/2022 18:11, nospam wrote:

>>> that page is wrong. app is simply short for application.
>>
>> Applications are installed.
>
> not in the way you think,

Then explain!

> and that's another hijack attempt.

NOPE! This is MY thread - I started it!

>> EtreCheck 'works' *without* being installed.
>>
>> "Installation:
>> EtreCheck does not need to be installed. You can run it right from your
>> Downloads folder."
>
> that doesn't mean anything.
>
> it's installed by virtue of downloading it.

Is that REALLY the case?

jeremy

Sep 15, 2022, 5:54:39 AM9/15/22
On 23 Aug 2022 at 20:00:36 BST, "nospam" <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> the term 'app' is nothing more than shorthand for application, going
> back to at least the 1980s.

It seems to have a had a resurgence in more recent years - it seemed to imply
(to my mind at least) a "small application" which was a fitting term for the
software we downloaded to our phones. It seemed to me at that time (say 10
years ago +/- 5 years) that its common usage was for "mobile device software
products" - but increasingly the term seems to have been re-applied to any
kind of software application.

Just my perception.
--
jeremy

whisky-dave

Sep 15, 2022, 7:33:01 AM9/15/22
My perception was the word applications came with Apple Macintosh computers in the
Mid 80s, while PCs had programs , UNIX had executable files but can't reemeber what they were called
by their users. I'd ask IT services but that would generate a ticketing system, then I'd get asked a few weeks later if the ticket could be closed.
Then they'd reply with info that I didn't ask for, and then "ask how did we do" ;-)

Ian McCall

Sep 17, 2022, 8:00:05 AM9/17/22
On 15 Sep 2022, whisky-dave wrote
(in article<80e4c76c-ff5d-4a53...@googlegroups.com>):

> UNIX had executable files but can't reemeber what they were called
> by their users.

Binaries or executables, for the most part that I recall. Time period
starting late 80s.

Application was definitely Mac, although later others such as GEM (Atari/PC).
Not sure about Amiga - don’t quite recall. App I don’t remember hearing
until iPhone.

Cheers,
Ian

nospam

Sep 17, 2022, 10:20:31 AM9/17/22
In article <0001HW.28D5EE4200...@news.individual.net>,
Ian McCall <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:

> > UNIX had executable files but can't reemeber what they were called
> > by their users.
>
> Binaries or executables, for the most part that I recall. Time period
> starting late 80s.

in the 60s/70s, there was the distinction between application and
systems programming, for what was user-facing (including for admins)
and the actual operating system itself.

> Application was definitely Mac, although later others such as GEM (Atari/PC).
> Not sure about Amiga - donšt quite recall. App I donšt remember hearing
> until iPhone.

dos also used the term in the 1980s.

for example, ashton-tate framework ii had an 'apps' menu:
<https://www.osnews.com/img/24882/apps.PNG>

the term is not new, although it did become a lot more popular with the
iphone because the iphone itself was extremely popular.

Ken

Sep 20, 2022, 4:59:11 AM9/20/22
In the past we had computer programs which were categorised. There
were operating systems, utilities, environmental software and so on.
Those programs that did useful end-user work, often written by the end
user, were called application programs.
I think you're right that it was Apple that first shortened
application program to app then used it for their App Store; now the
name is universal for just about any non-OS program, at least in the
non-corporate market.

nospam

Sep 20, 2022, 5:23:08 AM9/20/22
In article <otviihh2bkvv31peb...@4ax.com>, Ken
<k...@birchanger.com> wrote:

> I think you're right that it was Apple that first shortened
> application program to app then used it for their App Store;

that is false.

Theo

Sep 21, 2022, 5:29:35 AM9/21/22
Ken <k...@birchanger.com> wrote:
> In the past we had computer programs which were categorised. There
> were operating systems, utilities, environmental software and so on.
> Those programs that did useful end-user work, often written by the end
> user, were called application programs.
> I think you're right that it was Apple that first shortened
> application program to app then used it for their App Store; now the
> name is universal for just about any non-OS program, at least in the
> non-corporate market.

Acorn were using 'Apps' as in 'Apps Disc 1' back in the 80s:
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/55015/RISC-OS-3-08-Application-Discs/
https://www.houseofmabel.com/images/display/171286/1552154819/1552154710_1_125232.gif
(pictures date from about 1992, the best I can find offhand)

There is nothing fundamentally different from that 'Resources:$.Apps' window
and an iOS launcher: they are both a gallery to launch apps from.

I think 'apps' is just a natural contraction of 'applications', and when you
have limited filename length (as in DOS 8.3 or Acorn's 10) you naturally use
the contraction. It is also easier to say.

As to where Acorn got it from, maybe 'applications' and hence 'apps' were in
common parlance in the mid 80s? It is possible that originated at Apple,
but that would be a long long time before the App Store.

Theo

Richard Tobin

Sep 21, 2022, 8:05:02 AM9/21/22
In article <tXj*Ez...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>,
Theo <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>I think 'apps' is just a natural contraction of 'applications'

As you'd expect, "app" was used as a conscious abbreviation of
"application" before it became a word of its own.

The OED has these examples from job advertisements:

1981 Computerworld 20 Apr. 92/2 (advt.) Strong IBM customer .. will
hire a tech support person to .. interface with app. development and
comp. operations people.

1982 Computerworld 13 Sept. 112/3 (advt.) Diversified cons svcs
firm seeks result oriented pro to lead apps devel team.

Its first example where it appears to be a word of its own is:

1992 Dr. Dobb's Jrnl. Sept. 1/1 (advt.) With all these tools,
you'll write the most powerful, robust apps imaginable.

though I imagine earlier examples could be found.

-- Richard

Richard Tobin

Sep 21, 2022, 8:15:02 AM9/21/22
>As to where Acorn got it from, maybe 'applications' and hence 'apps' were in
>common parlance in the mid 80s? It is possible that originated at Apple,
>but that would be a long long time before the App Store.

"Application" dates back to the 50s but was mostly business computing
jargon - the rest of us wrote "programs". I suspect its spread into
public use came with the IBM PC, which infected many of the tedious
features of business computing into the previously idyllic world of
microcomputers.

-- Richard

alex rixs

Jan 9, 2023, 8:53:28 AM1/9/23
Argan oil can moisturize your hair and scalp and protect your hair from everyday damage. By reducing breakage and split ends and keeping your scalp healthy, argan oil may help prevent hair loss for thicker, fuller hair. Source https://khalisthings.com/product/argan-oil/