Upgraded to High Sierra 10.13.4, how to use PhotoShop CS4 without installing Java 6

Tosis

May 22, 2018, 12:00:39 PM5/22/18
Hi All,

Today I finally took the plunge and upgraded my MBP to High Sierra
10.13.4 (from El Capitan 10.11.6). Due to some incompatibilities with
aspects of the software library and my relative inexperience with MacOX
this has been a long time in coming. I'm at a point where I'm a bit
stuck and I'm hoping someone with a bit more insight can assist.

I've got Photoshop CS4 installed which I've been 'maintaining' through
the various OS upgrades by reinstalling JRE 1.6 each time. I know this
isn't the best way and I'd prefer not to do that this time around. I've
installed JRE 1.8 update 171 build 11 for other requirements and would
prefer to refer MacOS to that when it feels it needs the JRE for
whatever reason.

Per
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19563766/eclipse-kepler-for-os-x-mavericks-request-java-se-6/19594116#19594116
in particular and a veritable web of links starting at
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1079388 I believe I should be able to
update an Info.plist file related to the JRE and be done with it.
Except I can't find the JRE or in fact the .plist in the path
referenced.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so that I can get on
learning how to solve this for next time?

Many TIA
Tosis

nospam

May 22, 2018, 12:38:45 PM5/22/18
In article <2018052217003894...@hotmail.com>, Tosis
<tosis+n...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Today I finally took the plunge and upgraded my MBP to High Sierra
> 10.13.4 (from El Capitan 10.11.6). Due to some incompatibilities with
> aspects of the software library and my relative inexperience with MacOX
> this has been a long time in coming. I'm at a point where I'm a bit
> stuck and I'm hoping someone with a bit more insight can assist.
>
> I've got Photoshop CS4 installed which I've been 'maintaining' through
> the various OS upgrades by reinstalling JRE 1.6 each time. I know this
> isn't the best way and I'd prefer not to do that this time around. I've
> installed JRE 1.8 update 171 build 11 for other requirements and would
> prefer to refer MacOS to that when it feels it needs the JRE for
> whatever reason.

photoshop does not use java and cs4 isn't supported in high sierra.

you will need to either upgrade photoshop or downgrade macos.

<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1287264>
Photoshop does not use Java. For some reason Apple thought that it
did, and Apple puts up the annoying "you must download..." messages
when you try to install or run Photoshop.  Apple eventually fixed
that issue, but I think they waited until MacOS 10.8 to do so.
Photoshop CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6 are still working just fine for most
people on MacOS, so I'm not sure exactly how your system might have
gotten broken, or why the OS is telling you that you need various
Java versions when you do not need Java at all.
No, Apple made that mistake on more than a few applications.
Probably because Photoshop's installers used to use Java (back around
CS1, CS2 or so).  But running the application has never required Java.

And we can't do anything about Apple's demand for software that our
software don't use or need. (if we could, we would have already
patched the OS).   And Apple says they fixed it in later OS versions.

<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1016510>
Photoshop CS6 does not use or require Java in any way. Nor do the CS6
installers.

But Apple "helpfully" marked the Adobe CS6 installers as using Java,
even though they don't.  So MacOS warns you about Java, tries to
download and install Java, for nothing.  Apple has promised to update
their code, one of these days.

<https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2387910>
CS4 is not useable in High Sierra. All you get is blank screens and
you can't edit anything and/or certain menus that don't work. For
those of you that use Photoshop and Illustrator, there are 2 programs
called Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer that are very comparable
and are available in the macOS App Store for $50 each. They also
support PSD and AI file import. Both of the apps are available for
Mac and Windows, and Affinity Photo is available for iPad with Pencil
support. I have found them to be great replacements for Photoshop and
Illustrator. I haven't found a replacement for InDesign. Thankfully,
my layout needs are not very extensive, so I am using Pages until I
can find something better that's not pricey.

Martin S Taylor

May 22, 2018, 2:16:06 PM5/22/18
On 22 May 2018, nospam wrote
(in article<220520181238439458%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

> <https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1016510>
> Photoshop CS6 does not use or require Java in any way. Nor do the CS6
> installers.
>
> But Apple "helpfully" marked the Adobe CS6 installers as using Java,
> even though they don't. So MacOS warns you about Java, tries to
> download and install Java, for nothing. Apple has promised to update
> their code, one of these days.

I installed Adobe CS6 versions of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator without
any demands for Java. InDesign and Photoshop run happily, but Illustrator
won't run without my installing "the legacy Java SE 6 runtime."

MST

Tosis

May 23, 2018, 2:41:39 AM5/23/18
On 2018-05-22 16:38:43 +0000, nospam said:

> In article <2018052217003894...@hotmail.com>, Tosis
> <tosis+n...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Today I finally took the plunge and upgraded my MBP to High Sierra
>> 10.13.4 (from El Capitan 10.11.6). Due to some incompatibilities with
>> aspects of the software library and my relative inexperience with MacOX
>> this has been a long time in coming. I'm at a point where I'm a bit
>> stuck and I'm hoping someone with a bit more insight can assist.
>>
>> I've got Photoshop CS4 installed which I've been 'maintaining' through
>> the various OS upgrades by reinstalling JRE 1.6 each time. I know this
>> isn't the best way and I'd prefer not to do that this time around. I've
>> installed JRE 1.8 update 171 build 11 for other requirements and would
>> prefer to refer MacOS to that when it feels it needs the JRE for
>> whatever reason.
>
> photoshop does not use java and cs4 isn't supported in high sierra.
>
> you will need to either upgrade photoshop or downgrade macos.

> <https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2387910>
> CS4 is not useable in High Sierra. All you get is blank screens and
> you can't edit anything and/or certain menus that don't work. For
> those of you that use Photoshop and Illustrator, there are 2 programs
> called Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer that are very comparable
> and are available in the macOS App Store for $50 each. They also
> support PSD and AI file import. Both of the apps are available for
> Mac and Windows, and Affinity Photo is available for iPad with Pencil
> support. I have found them to be great replacements for Photoshop and
> Illustrator. I haven't found a replacement for InDesign. Thankfully,
> my layout needs are not very extensive, so I am using Pages until I
> can find something better that's not pricey.

Thank you for pointing me at the answer nospam - that last link (which
I'd read before but clearly not paying sufficient attention) included a
comment with a link to https://www.macstrategy.com/article.php?135
which has the specific answer to bypassing the need for JRE SE 1.6.

I'm aware of the alternate options, but for the very limited amount of
editing I now find myself doing coupled with the loss of my plugin
library I'm not yet ready to step sideways. It'll happen I suppose,
unless I can find a suitable non-pirated, non-cloud, upgrade path to at
least CS6 (for a price that makes sense compared to purchasing Affinity
Photo and the migration pain).

Tosis

May 23, 2018, 3:37:59 AM5/23/18
Thanks for the feedback Martin, that's the way I've run them up to El
Cap. I simply didn't want to install Apple's legacy Java implementation
this time around!

While I own and have Illustrator CS4 installed I don't use it anymore
and should uninstall it I reckon - PhotoshopExport.aip and
PhotoshopImport.aio plugins report errors at launch, and there have
never been any point updates (and only APSB10-01 for security patching).

At the end, Java 1.6 is fine in a *nix or Windows environment where I
pay Oracle for extended JRE / JDK support (and have 1.6.0 update 191
currently in production), but that option isn't available for MacOS...

So now I suppose to hunt for viable upgrade options that don't involve
a subscription to CC.

Tosis

Martin S Taylor

May 23, 2018, 4:51:27 AM5/23/18
On 23 May 2018, Tosis wrote
(in article<2018052308375762...@hotmail.com>):

> While I own and have Illustrator CS4 installed I don't use it anymore

Just the tiniest brag here: when I bought CS4 I bought all the *paper*
manuals for all the Adobe products - possibly the wisest investment I ever
made. Even though I now use CS6 exclusively (I have to, as you know) I still
refer to the manuals constantly.

MST

Martin S Taylor

May 31, 2018, 5:36:15 PM5/31/18
On 23 May 2018, Tosis wrote
(in article<2018052307413772...@hotmail.com>):

> Thank you for pointing me at the answer nospam - that last link (which
> I'd read before but clearly not paying sufficient attention) included a
> comment with a link tohttps://www.macstrategy.com/article.php?135
> which has the specific answer to bypassing the need for JRE SE 1.6.

Thank you so much for this!

MST

Tosis

Jun 5, 2018, 3:32:46 AM6/5/18
On 2018-05-23 07:37:57 +0000, Tosis said:

> So now I suppose to hunt for viable upgrade options that don't involve
> a subscription to CC.

An end to the story - having taken a week off to Cornwall during which
I shot "a few" DSLR / drone / iPhone photos and videos I've opted to
spring for Affinity Photo. Next to work through the tuts and then try
get some of my PS plugins working - NoiseNinja being high on that list.

My thanks for everyone's considertion and to Martin and nospam for
their engagement.

Tosis