Re: iPod Touch no more

Jaimie Vandenbergh

May 10, 2022, 2:08:43 PM5/10/22
On 10 May 2022 at 17:37:26 BST, "Alan B"
<alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> The first iDevice I ever used. Everything has to come to an end sometime :(
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/10/apple-discontinues-ipod-touch/>

This is one of those "didn't they stop making those ages ago?" moments!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Don't let nouns get in the way of a good time"
-- Jasper Fforde

nospam

May 10, 2022, 2:14:26 PM5/10/22
In article <jdvo18...@mid.individual.net>, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jai...@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> > The first iDevice I ever used. Everything has to come to an end sometime :(
> >
> > <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/10/apple-discontinues-ipod-touch/>
>
> This is one of those "didn't they stop making those ages ago?" moments!

they're widely used in stores with a custom case to scan barcodes for
price checks, inventory, etc., which is why the form factor hasn't
changed. otherwise, the barcode cases would be obsolete.

Jeff Gaines

May 11, 2022, 3:36:55 AM5/11/22
On 10/05/2022 in message
<t5e4c6$khj$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> Alan B wrote:

>The first iDevice I ever used. Everything has to come to an end sometime :(
>
><https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/10/apple-discontinues-ipod-touch/>

I still have mine. If Apple hadn't been so precious about what it was and
had mentioned PDA somewhere in the description I would have bought one
earlier.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

nospam

May 11, 2022, 4:55:55 AM5/11/22
In article <t5fpue$hmr$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>, Alan
B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:

> > they're widely used in stores with a custom case to scan barcodes for
> > price checks, inventory, etc., which is why the form factor hasn't
> > changed. otherwise, the barcode cases would be obsolete.
>
> Second hand prices could soar?

stores aren't going to buy used ipod touches.

nospam

May 11, 2022, 4:55:56 AM5/11/22
In article <t5fm84$etg$1...@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>, Ray
<amos-...@outlook.com> wrote:

> I still regularly use a classic from 2005
> Makes mowing the grass a pleasure

nothing can do that except maybe watching someone else do it.

Mark

May 11, 2022, 10:30:16 AM5/11/22
On 2022-05-11 06:48:36 +0000, Ray <amos-...@outlook.com> said:

> On 10 May 2022 at 17:37:26 BST, "Alan B"
> <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
>
>> The first iDevice I ever used. Everything has to come to an end sometime :(
>>
>> <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/10/apple-discontinues-ipod-touch/>
>
> I still regularly use a classic from 2005
> Makes mowing the grass a pleasure

I dug out my 1st Gen iPod Mini last week (for the first time in ???
years) as we were due to have our phones taken off us for a job. Took
it with me, but never got round to using it.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Graeme Wall

May 11, 2022, 11:58:00 AM5/11/22
Discovered I still have an iPod Shuffle in a drawer, currently (sorry)
on charge to see if A) it still works, and B) what is on it.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Mark

May 11, 2022, 1:56:49 PM5/11/22
On 2022-05-11 16:53:35 +0000, Alan B
<alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> said:
> On my wife’s suggestion I’ve had a look through some stuff in a box in my
> shed and found a 2005 iPod Nano 2GB A1137 model. What I need now is a
> suitable USB cable or adapter and maybe, like you, I’ll be able to charge
> it up and listen to whatever if anything is recorded on it.
>
> <https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipod/specs/ipod_nano.html>

Love how this old kit brings back memories :) I also have a 1st gen
Shuffle that I used to use when running (as recently as... 4 or 5 years
ago). I think it stopped communicating with iTunes for some reason
though.

--
Cheers ... Mark

Graeme Wall

May 11, 2022, 2:03:22 PM5/11/22
I'm charging mine from the iMac but it doesn't come up as a drive on the
desktop.

nospam

May 11, 2022, 2:09:57 PM5/11/22
In article <t5gtp6$k46$1...@dont-email.me>, Graeme Wall
<ra...@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Love how this old kit brings back memories :) I also have a 1st gen
> > Shuffle that I used to use when running (as recently as... 4 or 5 years
> > ago). I think it stopped communicating with iTunes for some reason though.
> >

> I'm charging mine from the iMac but it doesn't come up as a drive on the
> desktop.

it won't.

Mark

May 11, 2022, 2:16:51 PM5/11/22
Mine just did - briefly. Then it vanished after several seconds. It's
talking to iTunes at least (latest Mojave).
--
Cheers ... Mark

nospam

May 11, 2022, 2:21:44 PM5/11/22
In article <t5guih$uha$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Mark
<captai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'm charging mine from the iMac but it doesn't come up as a drive on
> > the desktop.
>
> Mine just did - briefly. Then it vanished after several seconds. It's
> talking to iTunes at least (latest Mojave).

syncing has never required mounting on the desktop.

an ipod could be used as an external hard drive, in which case it would
mount on the desktop, but that's independent of music/video syncing.

Graeme Wall

May 11, 2022, 5:24:47 PM5/11/22
Doesn't come up as a location either

nospam

May 11, 2022, 5:37:38 PM5/11/22
In article <t5h9it$dke$1...@dont-email.me>, Graeme Wall

> >> I'm charging mine from the iMac but it doesn't come up as a drive on the
> >> desktop.
> >
> > it won't.
>
> Doesn't come up as a location either

doesn't matter. you should be able to sync music and video (the latter
for non-shuffle ipods).

as i mentioned in another post, it will show up as a hard drive if it's
set to be an external hard drive, which is not the normal use case and
not needed for syncing content.

it appears that enabling that option requires itunes, which means mac
users can't do it anymore.
<https://support.apple.com/guide/itunes/use-ipod-as-an-external-hard-dis
k-itns3114/windows>

Bruce Horrocks

May 11, 2022, 7:19:35 PM5/11/22
On 10/05/2022 17:37, Alan B wrote:
> The first iDevice I ever used. Everything has to come to an end sometime :(
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/10/apple-discontinues-ipod-touch/>

From the article:
> In a statement, Apple's marketing chief Greg Joswiak

Is "Greg Joswiak" actually an AI named after Jobs & Wozniak? Seems too
good to be true. ;-)

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Graeme Wall

May 12, 2022, 2:41:22 AM5/12/22
On 11/05/2022 22:37, nospam wrote:

>>> it won't.
>>
>> Doesn't come up as a location either
>
> doesn't matter. you should be able to sync music and video (the latter
> for non-shuffle ipods).

How, without iTunes?

Mark

May 12, 2022, 5:22:09 AM5/12/22
I think I must have set both mine to show as ext HD as the Mini shows
up as well.
--
Cheers ... Mark

nospam

May 12, 2022, 6:11:48 AM5/12/22
In article <t5ia6g$uik$3...@dont-email.me>, Graeme Wall

> >> Doesn't come up as a location either
> >
> > doesn't matter. you should be able to sync music and video (the latter
> > for non-shuffle ipods).
>
> How, without iTunes?

syncing is now part of mac os.

<https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/sync-music-to-your-device-mchl
bf6a1fab/mac>

Graeme Wall

May 12, 2022, 7:15:07 AM5/12/22
But that means it has to show up as a location in a finder window.

Ian McCall

May 13, 2022, 7:15:45 PM5/13/22
On 11 May 2022, Alan B wrote
(in article<t5fok1$9i4$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>):

> Ray <amos-...@outlook.com> wrote:
> > On 10 May 2022 at 17:37:26 BST, "Alan B"
> > <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
> >
> > > The first iDevice I ever used. Everything has to come to an end sometime :(
> > >
> > > <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/05/10/apple-discontinues-ipod-touch/>
> >
> > I still regularly use a classic from 2005
> > Makes mowing the grass a pleasure
>
> You mean you haven’t got a robot lawn mower? Actually I haven’t too ;)

I have...

They’re great, but make sure your lawn is relatively flat. Oh, and yes your
lawn will be mowed, but no - your lawn and surrounding area will not
magically be weeded, unfortunately.

Cheers,
Ian

Graeme Wall

May 14, 2022, 11:56:16 AM5/14/22
Having charged the battery fully, it now appears as a drive on the
desktop but the finder window is empty though it does have a load of 60s
music on it.

Chris Ridd

May 14, 2022, 1:51:58 PM5/14/22
On 14/05/2022 16:56, Graeme Wall wrote:
> Having charged the battery fully, it now appears as a drive on the
> desktop but the finder window is empty though it does have a load of 60s
> music on it.

Sounds a bit like Good Omens, where every tape left in a car turns into
a Best of Queen album.

--
Chris

Graeme Wall

May 14, 2022, 4:23:55 PM5/14/22
I's now appeared as my iPod and the sync option is available. And, yes
it has Best of Queen on it!

It obviously needed properly charging to re-establish comms with the
computer.

The most interesting thing is how poor the earphones are compared to the
more modern ear-bud type now supplied with iPhones.