1Password replacement?

1 view

Mark

Oct 26, 2021, 1:07:00 PM10/26/21
Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
<https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
<https://minimalistpassword.com>?
--
Cheers ... Mark

Andy Hewitt

Oct 26, 2021, 4:28:20 PM10/26/21
Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
> <https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
> <https://minimalistpassword.com>?

Not those no, but I moved away ages ago once they started with the
subscription silliness.

I went went with Enpass, as it has some of the better options for
cross-platform compatibility, and various cloud syncing options.

They too have gone subscription, but because I bought the iApps, I got
upgraded to a lifetime ‘Pro’ account for free.

If I was starting again, I’d probably go with BitWarden as one of the best
free password services, and seems to have the least issues with security
compared to some (such as LastPass). It’s a little rough around the edges,
but is well featured, and a ‘Pro’ upgrade is cheap.

Although, if you only need Apple ecosystem use, then the standard Keychain
is not so bad.

--
Andy H

nospam

Oct 26, 2021, 4:36:36 PM10/26/21
In article <sl9od2$hah$1...@dont-email.me>, Andy Hewitt
<thewil...@icloud.com> wrote:

> > Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
> > <https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
> > <https://minimalistpassword.com>?
>
> Not those no, but I moved away ages ago once they started with the
> subscription silliness.

they only started requiring that two months ago, when they announced
version 8, at which point, it became subscription only, even for the
existing version 7.

prior to that, there was a non-subscription option, although it was not
that obvious.

what makes me want to switch is v.8 is an electron app, which are
bloated and simply awful.

Chris Ridd

Oct 27, 2021, 12:57:50 AM10/27/21
On 26/10/2021 21:28, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> If I was starting again, I’d probably go with BitWarden as one of the best
> free password services, and seems to have the least issues with security
> compared to some (such as LastPass). It’s a little rough around the edges,
> but is well featured, and a ‘Pro’ upgrade is cheap.

This is about what we're going to be forced to use, sigh.

> Although, if you only need Apple ecosystem use, then the standard Keychain
> is not so bad.

Keychain's been getting lots of password management features recently.
I'm interested too, though I suspect 1P still has it beaten.

--
Chris

Ian McCall

Oct 27, 2021, 4:01:17 AM10/27/21
On 27 Oct 2021, Chris Ridd wrote
(in article <slam8c$q2l$3...@dont-email.me>):

> Keychain's been getting lots of password management features recently.
> I'm interested too, though I suspect 1P still has it beaten.

On 1Password here (and also eye’ing this Electron app suspiciously...).
I’ve looked into switching to the native Apple stuff but at the moment
it’s too simplistic for me. I store multiple accounts and passwords for the
same site, for instance, or have ‘memorable words’ (just another random
password) or other pertinent bits of text. Plus the KeyChain client is awful
for an end user which isn’t a criticism per se, as it clearly wasn’t
designed to be a client-facing general user app. The client doesn’t exist
on iOS anyway.
For me if they added in the ability to add sections and arbitrary fields like
1Password, beefed up their client and also made it available on iOS then I
could live with a combination of the Apple stuff plus moving some tuff to
secure notes. But right now - not there yet.

Cheers,
Ian

Michael Phillips

Oct 27, 2021, 4:03:09 AM10/27/21
On 26 Oct 2021 at 21:28:18 IST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewil...@icloud.com>
wrote:

> If I was starting again, I’d probably go with BitWarden as one of the best
> free password services, and seems to have the least issues with security
> compared to some (such as LastPass). It’s a little rough around the edges,
> but is well featured, and a ‘Pro’ upgrade is cheap.

I switched from 1Password to Bitwarden a couple of years ago and,
although it's not as pretty as 1Password, I wouldn't describe it as
"rough around the edges". Slick, I'd say.

--
mhphillips at gmail dot com

Chris

Oct 27, 2021, 6:25:36 AM10/27/21
Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
> <https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
> <https://minimalistpassword.com>?

What's the reason for wanting to move away?

Chris

Oct 27, 2021, 6:32:22 AM10/27/21
On 26/10/2021 21:28, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
>> <https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
>> <https://minimalistpassword.com>?
>
> Not those no, but I moved away ages ago once they started with the
> subscription silliness.
>
> I went went with Enpass, as it has some of the better options for
> cross-platform compatibility, and various cloud syncing options.

Another thumbs up for Enpass.

I like the flexibility of the password generation aspect as well. Many
places are stupidly fussy so being able to placate them easily is great.

> They too have gone subscription, but because I bought the iApps, I got
> upgraded to a lifetime ‘Pro’ account for free.

Same here. The current price for Pro is not unreasonable, however.

Martin S Taylor

Oct 27, 2021, 6:37:16 AM10/27/21
On Oct 27, 2021, Ian McCall wrote
(in article<0001HW.27293ECA00...@news.individual.net>):
I've never had any problems with Keychain. I have loads of stuff stored in a
separate Keychain with its own password, and mostly stored as 'Secure Notes'.

MST

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Oct 27, 2021, 7:20:57 AM10/27/21
On 27 Oct 2021 at 09:01:14 BST, "Ian McCall" <i...@eruvia.org> wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2021, Chris Ridd wrote
> (in article <slam8c$q2l$3...@dont-email.me>):
>
>> Keychain's been getting lots of password management features recently.
>> I'm interested too, though I suspect 1P still has it beaten.
>
> On 1Password here (and also eye’ing this Electron app suspiciously...).

It's surprisingly okay.

> password) or other pertinent bits of text. Plus the KeyChain client is awful
> for an end user which isn’t a criticism per se, as it clearly wasn’t
> designed to be a client-facing general user app. The client doesn’t exist
> on iOS anyway.

Settings, Passwords on both Monterey and iOS15.

> For me if they added in the ability to add sections and arbitrary fields like
> 1Password

Yeah, the new Passwords UI only gives website/user/pass, not access to
the keychain files/notes facilities.

There's also no import from 1password, and these 500 entries aren't
going to migrate themselves. I'll be in 1password for the foreseeable; I
don't mind paying for its continued existence.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"If you can't make fun of it, it's probably not worth taking seriously"
-- http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson494.html

Andy Hewitt

Oct 27, 2021, 10:43:52 AM10/27/21
On 27/10/2021 05:57, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 26/10/2021 21:28, Andy Hewitt wrote:
>> If I was starting again, I’d probably go with BitWarden as one of the
>> best
>> free password services, and seems to have the least issues with security
>> compared to some (such as LastPass). It’s a little rough around the
>> edges,
>> but is well featured, and a ‘Pro’ upgrade is cheap.
>
> This is about what we're going to be forced to use, sigh.

It's not a bad option.

>> Although, if you only need Apple ecosystem use, then the standard
>> Keychain
>> is not so bad.
>
> Keychain's been getting lots of password management features recently.
> I'm interested too, though I suspect 1P still has it beaten.

For sure, horses for courses and all that. I'm only pointing out that it
might fulfil someone's needs. Personally I do prefer to have just a
little more control over the management of my passwords, but Keychain
could do it now, if I had nothing else.

--
Andy H

Andy Hewitt

Oct 27, 2021, 10:46:52 AM10/27/21
It's definitely got a few bits of glitchy behaviour here and there. It's
not quite as reliable picking up autofill boxes compared to Enpass or
Keychain.

But it's got a lot of very good features for sure, but when I've
compared it to Enpass, it shows the rough edges then.

--
Andy H

Andy Hewitt

Oct 27, 2021, 10:49:54 AM10/27/21
On 27/10/2021 11:32, Chris wrote:
> On 26/10/2021 21:28, Andy Hewitt wrote:
>> Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
>>> <https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
>>> <https://minimalistpassword.com>?
>>
>> Not those no, but I moved away ages ago once they started with the
>> subscription silliness.
>>
>> I went went with Enpass, as it has some of the better options for
>> cross-platform compatibility, and various cloud syncing options.
>
> Another thumbs up for Enpass.
>
> I like the flexibility of the password generation aspect as well. Many
> places are stupidly fussy so being able to placate them easily is great.
>
>> They too have gone subscription, but because I bought the iApps, I got
>> upgraded to a lifetime ‘Pro’ account for free.
>
> Same here. The current price for Pro is not unreasonable, however.

Yeah, it's not badly priced, but better if you got the deal :-).

I'm waiting for them to do what everyone else has done, and forget they
promised me lifetime updates on a full version of the app.

--
Andy H

Chris Ridd

Oct 27, 2021, 12:10:18 PM10/27/21
On 27/10/2021 15:43, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> On 27/10/2021 05:57, Chris Ridd wrote:
>> On 26/10/2021 21:28, Andy Hewitt wrote:
>>> If I was starting again, I’d probably go with BitWarden as one of the
>>> best
>>> free password services, and seems to have the least issues with security
>>> compared to some (such as LastPass). It’s a little rough around the
>>> edges,
>>> but is well featured, and a ‘Pro’ upgrade is cheap.
>>
>> This is about what we're going to be forced to use, sigh.
>
> It's not a bad option.

Good to know, thanks! The free tier looks a bit too crippled for me (no
TOTP or support for things like credit cards), but the mrs might be able
to take advantage of it on her ipad.

Anything to stop her creating yet another password based on something
very obvious, and writing it in a little pad in the bureau. :facepalm:

--
Chris

Mark

Oct 27, 2021, 1:11:11 PM10/27/21
Bitwarden looks good (as does EnPass). Both fairly reasonable Pro
accounts ($10 a year vs £64 lifetime).
--
Cheers ... Mark

Matt

Oct 27, 2021, 1:57:59 PM10/27/21
On 26 Oct 2021 at 22:28:18 CEST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewil...@icloud.com>
wrote:
How to be able to use passwords in safari without having to constantly
enter the general password to unlock it?

TIA!

Mark Bestley

Oct 27, 2021, 3:06:13 PM10/27/21
Mark <captai...@gmail.com> writes:

> Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
> <https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
> <https://minimalistpassword.com>?

When I was looking at backup software a year ago I noticed that paid for Dropbox has a password app. Anyone know how good that is?

My main issue with Keychain is that on Mac I need to use another browser as I need vertical tabs so currently Firefox (but Vivaldi sort of works and the best looking is OmniWeb but that does not support addins)

--
Mark (another one)

nospam

Oct 27, 2021, 3:10:17 PM10/27/21
In article <m1mtmue...@bestley.co.uk>, Mark Bestley
<gn...@bestley.co.uk> wrote:

> When I was looking at backup software a year ago I noticed that paid for
> Dropbox has a password app. Anyone know how good that is?

dropbox has become quite bad, yet another bloated electron app, with
far too many hooks into the operating system.

Andy Hewitt

Oct 27, 2021, 3:18:15 PM10/27/21
On iOS you can setup FaceID or Fingerprint unlock.

With Enpass and Bitwarden you can also setup a shorter PIN number,
although I don't know if that's a reduction in security, but you can
only use it once you've unlocked at least once with the master password.

Keychain also uses the iOS Face/fingerprint unlock, and is automatically
unlocked during login on a desktop (which you can disable if you prefer).

--
Andy H

Mark

Oct 27, 2021, 3:23:26 PM10/27/21
I do find FaceID a pain to use. I get maybe 80% unlocks (as opposed to
near-100% with TouchID on my old phone). It's also a pain to unlock 1P
on the desktop on older MBP/MBA having a 'long, secure' password that I
haven't been able to memorise!
--
Cheers ... Mark

Andy Hewitt

Oct 27, 2021, 3:34:57 PM10/27/21
Hmm, dunno there, my 2020 iPad Pro is giving me 100% on FaceID, and my
iPhone 8 is also pretty near that with TouchID.

> It's also a pain to unlock 1P
> on the desktop on older MBP/MBA having a 'long, secure' password that I
> haven't been able to memorise!

With Enpass, I just use the PIN number to unlock it quickly. I just need
the full password when I first boot my iMac, or login to my account.

Keychain never needs the password as it's linked to the login password.
It's only needed if you want to view a password entry in the Keychain app.

--
Andy H

Mark

Oct 27, 2021, 3:50:02 PM10/27/21
That EnPass PIN sounds good (although I'd still have to keep the full
password somewhere!) At the moment I have most of my 1P password saved
as a text replacement shortcut, with the rest of it commited to memory.
The trouble is, not using it for days or weeks (and having FaceID on
the phone) means sometimes even that shortcut fades from memory
sometimes.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Sn!pe

Oct 27, 2021, 5:07:04 PM10/27/21
Matt <ma...@myemail.invalid> wrote:
[...]
> > Although, if you only need Apple ecosystem use, then the standard Keychain
> > is not so bad.
>
> How to be able to use passwords in safari without having to constantly
> enter the general password to unlock it?

Apple Watch does it for me: double click on the side button.

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Chris

Oct 27, 2021, 5:33:55 PM10/27/21
Sssshhhhh...!!

Chris

Oct 27, 2021, 5:33:56 PM10/27/21
TouchID on Mac laptops is a godsend. Prior to that I got very good at
typing my master password.

Andy Hewitt

Oct 27, 2021, 5:40:08 PM10/27/21
Yes, at some point, you do need to remember some kind of reasonable
password. I tend to use characters out of books that I'm likely to
remember them from as inspiration.

I use a couple of normal words, and replace certain characters with
numbers and special characters.

Of course at home, you could just write it onto a post-it note. Which is
OK unless you have a break-in, or accidentally show it on a camera
(perhaps hide it in a drawer).

--
Andy H

Andy Hewitt

Oct 27, 2021, 5:40:41 PM10/27/21
:-O

--
Andy H

Matt

Oct 28, 2021, 5:11:23 AM10/28/21
On 27 Oct 2021 at 21:18:13 CEST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewil...@icloud.com>
Thanks to everyone in this thread for sharing experiences, after installing my
old
"1Password-6" and verifying that the Safari extension does not work anymore,I
remove it,
and now I am trying to use the Password function in Safari, but now none of my
logins are
there anymore , it seems that 1Password-6 displaced then god knows where :-(

Probably something happened with Keychain?

The only version of 1Password that seems to work without problems with
Monterrey is the
most recent one, (I have the old version and I am not going to buy the
subscription version
for now, too expensive, and I only need to work with a few logins (less than
20), so I will try
other password managers if I cannot recover the Password function in Safari.

Regards,
Matt.

Matt

Oct 28, 2021, 5:15:52 AM10/28/21
On 27 Oct 2021 at 21:18:13 CEST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewil...@icloud.com>

David Kennedy

Oct 28, 2021, 6:53:57 AM10/28/21
On 26/10/2021 21:28, Andy Hewitt wrote:
> Mark <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looking to move away... Has anyone looked at (or uses) Strongbox
>> <https://strongboxsafe.com> or Minimalist
>> <https://minimalistpassword.com>?
>
> Not those no, but I moved away ages ago once they started with the
> subscription silliness.
>
> I went went with Enpass, as it has some of the better options for
> cross-platform compatibility, and various cloud syncing options.
>
> They too have gone subscription, but because I bought the iApps, I got
> upgraded to a lifetime ‘Pro’ account for free.
>
> If I was starting again, I’d probably go with BitWarden as one of the best
> free password services, and seems to have the least issues with security
> compared to some (such as LastPass). It’s a little rough around the edges,
> but is well featured, and a ‘Pro’ upgrade is cheap.
>
> Although, if you only need Apple ecosystem use, then the standard Keychain
> is not so bad.

I found LastPass to be good but have dumped it because of the subscription and
reverted to keychain which seems to do everything I need these days.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

Chris Ridd

Oct 28, 2021, 7:06:24 AM10/28/21
Bitwarden's Mac app uses Electron and their developers are *really*
strongly opposed to writing a native app. It looks and feels pretty crappy.

Even though 1Password 8's app also uses Electron, apparently it looks
and feels very like their old native app.

I need to wait and see exactly how work are going to deploy Bitwarden
for us all - it looks like multiple accounts are not possible.

--
Chris

nospam

Oct 28, 2021, 9:56:48 AM10/28/21
In article <sle07d$n7g$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com>
wrote:

> Even though 1Password 8's app also uses Electron, apparently it looks
> and feels very like their old native app.

it's still bloated and uses far more memory than had it been native.

Ian McCall

Oct 28, 2021, 11:56:15 AM10/28/21
On 27 Oct 2021, nospam wrote
(in article<271020211510152229%nos...@nospam.invalid>):
Dropbox has also been hitting my RSS feeds a lot today - no intent to support
M1-based Macs:
<https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/28/dropbox-m1-support/>

Cheers,
Ian

Chris Ridd

Oct 28, 2021, 12:03:16 PM10/28/21
The ATP podcast mentioned that the open source dropbox client called
"Maestral" was a very good alternative to the official app.

--
Chris

nospam

Oct 28, 2021, 12:08:14 PM10/28/21
In article <slehk2$tdo$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com>
wrote:

> >> dropbox has become quite bad, yet another bloated electron app, with
> >> far too many hooks into the operating system.
> >
> > Dropbox has also been hitting my RSS feeds a lot today - no intent to
> > support
> > M1-based Macs:
> > <https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/28/dropbox-m1-support/>
>
> The ATP podcast mentioned that the open source dropbox client called
> "Maestral" was a very good alternative to the official app.

about a year ago, they went on a *huge* rant about bad dropbox has
become.

synology has its own version, which is another alternative.

dropbox bad.

Chris

Oct 28, 2021, 12:11:58 PM10/28/21
On 28/10/2021 16:56, Ian McCall wrote:
Not a big user, but not seeing issues here. They aren't unique either.
OneDrive is also intel only.

Not sure how big a deal Rosetta is. The claim that it takes 1GB of RAM
and sucks battery is surely usage dependent? For example, my OneDrive is
only using ~250meg. It's energy usage is also way down the list.

Storm in a Teacup territory, methinks...

Ian McCall

Oct 28, 2021, 12:46:20 PM10/28/21
On 28 Oct 2021, Chris wrote
(in article <slei4d$239$1...@dont-email.me>):
I think the deal is not recognising they’re going to need to support it.
But...I’m always cautious of stories like this because it very much depends
who “they” is. If this is a front-line call desk person then they may
well not know longer strategies and are simply following the normal bug
reporting pattern.

Cheers,
Ian

Chris Ridd

Oct 28, 2021, 4:18:37 PM10/28/21
I doubt Rosetta is a significant issue. It is a one-off cost.

I thought vaguely that a lot of the dropbox app was Python.

What bothers me (and it seems a lot of others) is the amount of extra
cruft that Dropbox put on top of syncing folders. The dreaded "value
add" that adds nothing to your experience except irritation.

--
Chris

Mark

Oct 29, 2021, 1:16:13 AM10/29/21

Chris

Oct 29, 2021, 3:59:33 AM10/29/21
It's called "innovation".

What would be really innovative is lean, fast apps.

Chris

Oct 29, 2021, 4:00:31 AM10/29/21
On 28/10/2021 17:46, Ian McCall wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2021, Chris wrote
> (in article <slei4d$239$1...@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 28/10/2021 16:56, Ian McCall wrote:
>>> On 27 Oct 2021, nospam wrote
>>> (in article<271020211510152229%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

>>> Dropbox has also been hitting my RSS feeds a lot today - no intent to
>>> support
>>> M1-based Macs:
>>> <https://9to5mac.com/2021/10/28/dropbox-m1-support/>
>>
>> Not a big user, but not seeing issues here. They aren't unique either.
>> OneDrive is also intel only.
>>
>> Not sure how big a deal Rosetta is. The claim that it takes 1GB of RAM
>> and sucks battery is surely usage dependent? For example, my OneDrive is
>> only using ~250meg. It's energy usage is also way down the list.
>>
>> Storm in a Teacup territory, methinks...
>
> I think the deal is not recognising they’re going to need to support it.

Minds will be focused when Apple announces the EOL of Rosetta 2.

> But...I’m always cautious of stories like this because it very much depends
> who “they” is. If this is a front-line call desk person then they may
> well not know longer strategies and are simply following the normal bug
> reporting pattern.

Yup.

David Kennedy

Oct 29, 2021, 4:26:22 AM10/29/21
On 28/10/2021 12:10, Alan B wrote:

> I was going to use LastPass a couple of years ago but since I'm
> mainly a macOS, iOS and iPadOS user, I decided, like you, that
> keychain offers all I really need at the moment.

It worked well on all my devices but Keychain does everything I need at the
moment without having to pay.