How to stop Brother Control Center from launching?

Dorian Gray

Dec 15, 2008, 4:14:50 PM12/15/08
I want to prevent the "Brother Control Center" v2.3.1 (BCC) starting
ever time I log into the non-administrator account on my machine. BCC
even starts up every time I switch to the non-administrator account even
if the user is already logged in and had previously quit BCC.

The BCC application does not appear in the account's Login Items.

When I log into the account I have to cancel the "setup type
configuration" and confirm, and then Quit from the menu bar. I can
express a preference by unchecking the "Start ControlCenter on computer
startup" check box in the preferences, but this preference is not
respected. This preference is how I stopped this application
auto-starting on the administrator account. I have tried giving the
troublesome non-admin account admin status temporarily while I change
the above preference, but the pref is still not respected.

For the admin account, there exists the following directory:
~/Library/Preferences/Brother/
which contains two files:
com.brother.ControlCenter.plist
com.brother.twain.plist

The first file contains the lines:
<key>PreferenceBoot</key>
<integer>0</integer>
which is the relevant preference.

This directory does not EXIST (and so nor do the files therein) for the
non-admin account, and is not created when the account is given admin
status temporarily and logged in.

Help?

Cheers.

Kurt Ullman

Dec 15, 2008, 4:17:23 PM12/15/08
In article <D.Gray-373249....@nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk>,
Dorian Gray <D.G...@picture.invalid> wrote:

> I want to prevent the "Brother Control Center" v2.3.1 (BCC) starting
> ever time I log into the non-administrator account on my machine. BCC
> even starts up every time I switch to the non-administrator account even
> if the user is already logged in and had previously quit BCC.

Look under preferences in the BCC. I think that is probably where your
problem lies.

Chris Ridd

Dec 15, 2008, 4:19:49 PM12/15/08

You need to look at the things started by launchd, which are probably
set up in directories that Spotlight won't index. Grab Lingon.app,
which is a nice-ish GUI which shows you all that stuff.

--
Chris

Dorian Gray

Dec 15, 2008, 4:23:42 PM12/15/08
In article
<kurtullman-81E5B...@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net>,
Kurt Ullman <kurtu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Look under preferences in the BCC. I think that is probably where your
> problem lies.

No, I explained in the OP how the preference changes are not respected,
and revert back immediately.

Dorian Gray

Dec 15, 2008, 4:26:14 PM12/15/08
In article <6qnvvlF...@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> You need to look at the things started by launchd, which are probably
> set up in directories that Spotlight won't index. Grab Lingon.app,
> which is a nice-ish GUI which shows you all that stuff.

Can you give me a path to where launchd stores info about things to be
launched, so I can fix this using Terminal?

Chris Ridd

Dec 15, 2008, 4:39:16 PM12/15/08

According to launchtcl(1)

~/Library/LaunchAgents Per-user agents provided by the user.
/Library/LaunchAgents Per-user agents provided by the adminis-
trator.
/Library/LaunchDaemons System wide daemons provided by the admin-
istrator.
/System/Library/LaunchAgents Mac OS X Per-user agents.
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons Mac OS X System wide daemons.

This varies a bit on 10.4 and 10.5.

--
Chris

Dorian Gray

Dec 15, 2008, 4:40:22 PM12/15/08
In article <D.Gray-026029....@nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk>,
Dorian Gray <D.G...@picture.invalid> wrote:

P.S. ~/Library/LaunchAgents does not exist, for any of the accounts.

/Library/LaunchAgents
/Library/LaunchDaemons
/System/Library/LaunchAgents
are all empty.

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons contains:
bootps.plist
com.apple.KernelEventAgent.plist
com.apple.ODSAgent.plist
com.apple.atrun.plist
com.apple.dashboard.advisory.fetch.plist
com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
com.apple.nibindd.plist
com.apple.periodic-daily.plist
com.apple.periodic-monthly.plist
com.apple.periodic-weekly.plist
com.apple.portmap.plist
com.apple.syslogd.plist
com.apple.usbmuxd.plist*
com.apple.xgridagentd.plist
com.apple.xgridcontrollerd.plist
com.vix.cron.plist
comsat.plist
distccd.plist
eppc.plist
exec.plist
finger.plist
ftp.plist
login.plist
nmbd.plist
ntalk.plist
org.isc.named.plist
org.postfix.master.plist
org.xinetd.xinetd.plist
printer.plist
shell.plist
smbd.plist
ssh.plist
swat.plist
telnet.plist
tftp.plist

Mac OS X.4.11.

Dorian Gray

Dec 15, 2008, 4:42:24 PM12/15/08
In article <6qo144F...@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> On 2008-12-15 21:26:14 +0000, Dorian Gray <D.G...@picture.invalid> said:
>
> > Can you give me a path to where launchd stores info about things to be
> > launched, so I can fix this using Terminal?
>
> According to launchtcl(1)

<snip>

Ah, our posts crossed in the mail. See my other post with the contents
of the relevant directories.

Chris Ridd

Dec 15, 2008, 4:47:02 PM12/15/08
On 2008-12-15 21:40:22 +0000, Dorian Gray <D.G...@picture.invalid> said:

> In article <D.Gray-026029....@nntp-serv.cam.ac.uk>,
> Dorian Gray <D.G...@picture.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <6qnvvlF...@mid.individual.net>,
>> Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You need to look at the things started by launchd, which are probably
>>> set up in directories that Spotlight won't index. Grab Lingon.app,
>>> which is a nice-ish GUI which shows you all that stuff.
>>
>> Can you give me a path to where launchd stores info about things to be
>> launched, so I can fix this using Terminal?
>
> P.S. ~/Library/LaunchAgents does not exist, for any of the accounts.

Try asking launchctl (sorry I misspelled it) directly, using the list
and bslist options. It may look in other places.

Failing that, try looking in the BOM for the package that provided the
Brother Control Center and see where it dumped stuff.

--
Chris

Dorian Gray

Dec 15, 2008, 5:47:50 PM12/15/08
In article <6qo1ilF...@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> Try asking launchctl (sorry I misspelled it) directly, using the list
> and bslist options. It may look in other places.

launchctl list
returns nothing

launchctl: unknown subcommand "bslist"

> Failing that, try looking in the BOM for the package that provided the
> Brother Control Center and see where it dumped stuff.

lsbom
/Library/Receipts/BrotherTWAIN.pkg/Contents/Resources/BrotherTWAIN.bom

shows where everything was installed, but the relevant parts are gleaned
from the following:

$ ls /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities
BrStatusMonitor.app/ DeviceSelector/
ControlCenter/ Server/
$ ls /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/ControlCenter/
ControlCenter.app/
$ ls /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/DeviceSelector/
DeviceSelector.app/
$ ls /Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server
LOGINserver.app/ NETserver.app/ USBserver.app/

I'm still lost.

Running BrotherTWAIN.pkg itself does not allow to uninstall,[1] assuming
that's what I want to do. I would be happier just to be able to turn
off the auto-launch.

[1] It only allows an "upgrade", which I did not perform.

Salmon Egg

Dec 16, 2008, 1:16:30 AM12/16/08
I missed the original post so I may not be on point.

In my case, I wanted to load Control Center without running it. Using
Leopard, I went to System Preferences and opened accounts. Accounts has
a list of login items. I added Control Center to the list You may have
the converse problem which needs you to remove Control Center from the
list.

Bill

Dorian Gray

Dec 16, 2008, 12:16:55 PM12/16/08
In article <SalmonEgg-F5D00...@news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
Salmon Egg <Salm...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I missed the original post so I may not be on point.
>
> In my case, I wanted to load Control Center without running it. Using
> Leopard, I went to System Preferences and opened accounts. Accounts has
> a list of login items. I added Control Center to the list You may have
> the converse problem which needs you to remove Control Center from the
> list.

Thanks for the reply Bill, but it doesn't appear in login items and
never has.

The question is how to stop something launching every time the user logs
in or is switched into, when the application doesn't appear in the login
items, won't allow the startup preference to be changed, doesn't appear
in the launchd directory /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, and doesn't have
a preference directory ~/Library/Preferences/Brother/ which in the other
account contains com.brother.ControlCenter.plist.

[...has a thought...]

Okay, I solved the problem!

I have found com.brother.ControlCenter.plist with the

<key>PreferenceBoot</key>
<integer>0</integer>

lines and a few other lines in it, in the / directory. So I created
~/Library/Preferences/Brother, and moved the preference file to there.
And now it doesn't auto-start.

It seems that since ~/Library/Preferences/Brother/ didn't exist, it
wrote the preference file to / but nevertheless tried to read it from
~/Library/Preferences/Brother/. That's pretty broken. The application
was installed by admin, so ~/Library/Preferences/Brother/ only existed
for the admin user.

Thanks for the attempts to help me, especially from Chris Ridd. :)

Chris Ridd

Dec 16, 2008, 12:44:30 PM12/16/08
On 2008-12-16 17:16:55 +0000, Dorian Gray <D.G...@picture.invalid> said:

> In article <SalmonEgg-F5D00...@news.la.sbcglobal.net>,
> Salmon Egg <Salm...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I missed the original post so I may not be on point.
>>
>> In my case, I wanted to load Control Center without running it. Using
>> Leopard, I went to System Preferences and opened accounts. Accounts has
>> a list of login items. I added Control Center to the list You may have
>> the converse problem which needs you to remove Control Center from the
>> list.
>
> Thanks for the reply Bill, but it doesn't appear in login items and
> never has.
>
> The question is how to stop something launching every time the user logs
> in or is switched into, when the application doesn't appear in the login
> items, won't allow the startup preference to be changed, doesn't appear
> in the launchd directory /System/Library/LaunchDaemons, and doesn't have
> a preference directory ~/Library/Preferences/Brother/ which in the other
> account contains com.brother.ControlCenter.plist.

Right, but there are other places the system looks for things, like
Mach Bootstrap services. On Leopard, 'launchctl bslist' lists those and
I *think* in Tiger they're in /etc/mach_init.d.

> [...has a thought...]
>
> Okay, I solved the problem!
>
> I have found com.brother.ControlCenter.plist with the
> <key>PreferenceBoot</key>
> <integer>0</integer>
> lines and a few other lines in it, in the / directory. So I created
> ~/Library/Preferences/Brother, and moved the preference file to there.
> And now it doesn't auto-start.
>
> It seems that since ~/Library/Preferences/Brother/ didn't exist, it
> wrote the preference file to / but nevertheless tried to read it from
> ~/Library/Preferences/Brother/. That's pretty broken. The application
> was installed by admin, so ~/Library/Preferences/Brother/ only existed
> for the admin user.
>
> Thanks for the attempts to help me, especially from Chris Ridd. :)

Sorry we couldn't identify where the thing actually got started from though.

--
Chris

Dorian Gray

Dec 16, 2008, 1:03:34 PM12/16/08
In article <6qq7nuF...@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Ridd <chri...@mac.com> wrote:

> Right, but there are other places the system looks for things, like
> Mach Bootstrap services. On Leopard, 'launchctl bslist' lists those and
> I *think* in Tiger they're in /etc/mach_init.d.

I already checked /etc/mach_init.d and /etc/mach_init_per_user.d.

As you saw, 'launchctl bslist' doesn't work on Tiger.

> > Okay, I solved the problem!
>

> Sorry we couldn't identify where the thing actually got started from though.

Yes, me too. :(
This Brother Control Center is a nasty application.