Re: No more Lightning for the EU

RJH

Oct 5, 2022, 4:06:37 AM10/5/22
On 5 Oct 2022 at 07:24:17 BST, Alan B wrote:

> I’m thunderstruck! Well not really - there seems to have been a move
> towards using USB-C ports on recent new iDevices, so I guess this EU ruling
> will speed up the transition.
>
> <https://www.macrumors.com/2022/10/04/apple-products-switching-usb-c-2024/>

I suppose they could carry in with a UK Special, but all in all I'm glad the
connector's being standardised.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 5, 2022, 5:30:15 AM10/5/22
Am 05.10.22 um 10:06 schrieb RJH:
> I suppose they could carry in with a UK Special,

You mean a kind of a USB-C-exit?

--
Gutta cavat lapidem (Ovid)

David Brooks

Oct 5, 2022, 5:35:28 AM10/5/22
On 05/10/2022 10:30, Joerg Lorenz wrote:
> Am 05.10.22 um 10:06 schrieb RJH:
>> I suppose they could carry in with a UK Special,
>
> You mean a kind of a USB-C-exit?

Yes - we could call it a USB-R-exit! :-D

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 5, 2022, 5:38:02 AM10/5/22
Am 05.10.22 um 11:35 schrieb David Brooks:
The Brits live in splendid isolation. Again.

nospam

Oct 5, 2022, 9:22:12 AM10/5/22
In article <thjf29$2uetu$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>,
Alan B <alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> I靶e always thought that the male Lightning connector doesn靖 look very
> robust, although I靶e never had issues with them.

that's a feature, not a bug.

lightning is designed so that the *cable* will break with torque,
avoiding damage to the device. likely all that's needed is remove the
piece of the plug in the socket and replace the cable.

with usb-c, there's a tab inside the socket, thus excessive torque will
very likely damage both the cable and the device, causing an expensive
repair, often more than the phone is worth.

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 5, 2022, 10:51:32 AM10/5/22
Am 05.10.22 um 15:22 schrieb nospam:
> In article <thjf29$2uetu$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>,
> Alan B <alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I¹ve always thought that the male Lightning connector doesn¹t look very
>> robust, although I¹ve never had issues with them.
>
> that's a feature, not a bug.
>
> lightning is designed so that the *cable* will break with torque,
> avoiding damage to the device. likely all that's needed is remove the
> piece of the plug in the socket and replace the cable.
>
> with usb-c, there's a tab inside the socket, thus excessive torque will
> very likely damage both the cable and the device, causing an expensive
> repair, often more than the phone is worth.

Speculation and utter bulllshit. Sorry.
Apple uses USB-C for all devices except for the iphone. The reason for
this is completely different than you suggest.

nospam

Oct 5, 2022, 11:06:11 AM10/5/22
In article <thk5li$h4c5$1...@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> I1ve always thought that the male Lightning connector doesn1t look very
> >> robust, although I1ve never had issues with them.
> >
> > that's a feature, not a bug.
> >
> > lightning is designed so that the *cable* will break with torque,
> > avoiding damage to the device. likely all that's needed is remove the
> > piece of the plug in the socket and replace the cable.
> >
> > with usb-c, there's a tab inside the socket, thus excessive torque will
> > very likely damage both the cable and the device, causing an expensive
> > repair, often more than the phone is worth.
>
> Speculation and utter bulllshit. Sorry.

it's not speculation. it's simple physics and a design requirement for
lightning.

> Apple uses USB-C for all devices except for the iphone.

and except for airpods, airpods pro, airpods max, magsafe battery,
magsafe duo charger, apple watch dock, magic mouse, magic keyboard,
magic trackpad, apple tv remote, 1st gen apple pencil, powerbeats,
wired earpods and i probably forgot some others.

there are also *numerous* third party lightning devices.

> The reason for
> this is completely different than you suggest.

it is not.

apple is transitioning to usb-c in a slow and careful manner to limit
the inevitable disruption.

Chris

Oct 5, 2022, 12:07:06 PM10/5/22
Basking in our sovereignty. Life couldn't be better. Oh wait...

Chris

Oct 5, 2022, 12:10:22 PM10/5/22
Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 05.10.22 um 15:22 schrieb nospam:
>> In article <thjf29$2uetu$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>,
>> Alan B <alanrich...@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I¹ve always thought that the male Lightning connector doesn¹t look very
>>> robust, although I¹ve never had issues with them.
>>
>> that's a feature, not a bug.
>>
>> lightning is designed so that the *cable* will break with torque,
>> avoiding damage to the device. likely all that's needed is remove the
>> piece of the plug in the socket and replace the cable.
>>
>> with usb-c, there's a tab inside the socket, thus excessive torque will
>> very likely damage both the cable and the device, causing an expensive
>> repair, often more than the phone is worth.
>
> Speculation and utter bulllshit. Sorry.
> Apple uses USB-C for all devices except for the iphone.

The base ipad still has a lightning socket.

Richard Tobin

Oct 5, 2022, 2:45:02 PM10/5/22
In article <jq5uud...@mid.individual.net>,
TimS <timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

>>> Apple uses USB-C for all devices except for the iphone.

>I must be imagining the magsafe on my MacBook Air, then.

True, but they can charge from USB-C too.

The EU directive does not prohibit other charging ports (not that
it applies to laptops anyway).

-- Richard

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 5, 2022, 4:02:54 PM10/5/22
Am 05.10.22 um 20:44 schrieb Richard Tobin:
It certainly does as of 2024.

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 5, 2022, 4:05:40 PM10/5/22
Am 05.10.22 um 18:07 schrieb Chris:
Tja. The Brits do not recognise the fact that they slip down to the
position of Western Europe's "Poor Man". The slippage is still
accelerating. But that is already OT in this thread ...

Theo

Oct 5, 2022, 4:06:31 PM10/5/22

nospam

Oct 5, 2022, 4:12:21 PM10/5/22
In article <thkntc$h6gv$1...@solani.org>, Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
wrote:

> >> I must be imagining the magsafe on my MacBook Air, then.
> >
> > True, but they can charge from USB-C too.
> >
> > The EU directive does not prohibit other charging ports (not that
> > it applies to laptops anyway).
>
> It certainly does as of 2024.

it certainly does not.

it's 2026 for laptops, and not all of them.

<https://www.pcworld.com/article/1341415/europe-sets-deadline-for-usb-c-
charging-for-almost-all-laptops.html>

...A newly-passed law says that almost all portable electronics will
need to charge via USB-C by 2026.

At this point, most new laptops already use USB-C charging, taking
advantage of the standard¹s flexibility to deliver a range of
wattages up to 100 watts. There are two exceptions: the top of the
market and the bottom. Cheap budget laptops are still sometimes
equipped with less expensive, semi-proprietary barrel charging
cables or something like Lenovo¹s rectangular charger.

On the other hand, power-hungry laptops that need more than 100
watts still use proprietary connections for their massive adapters.
The USB Implementers Forum is working on expanding that limit and
some of these laptops can still charge slowly over USB-C. These are
the only laptops that Europe will allow to be sold with proprietary
chargers after the spring of 2026.

Joerg Lorenz

Oct 5, 2022, 4:29:55 PM10/5/22
Am 05.10.22 um 22:12 schrieb nospam: