OT - There's some money moored here!

David Brooks

Sep 9, 2022, 8:14:38 AM9/9/22

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work-2021/i-NvqWJth/0/58fae328/1920/Morro_Bay_Feb_2_mp4-1920.mp4

>> Please advise.
>
> I didn't. I saw it was a mp4.  That's a vid.

So?

*Are you concerned about malware therein*?

https://recoverit.wondershare.com/repair-video-file/how-to-repair-damaged-video-file-due-to-virus-attack.html

//MP4 files usually store Videos and music files. This video format is
considered to be of high quality and it’s compatible with most devices.
Besides, the format is convenient for sharing videos on social media
platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. MP4 videos have file extension
like .m4a, .mp4, .m4p, and .m4r. so, can mp4s have viruses? Simply put,
yes because these extensions are vulnerable to virus infection. You
might be wondering how this can happen. You see, it’s likely that
malware can disguise itself as a video file, making the video files
favorite for malware writers.//

FromTheRafters

Sep 9, 2022, 2:41:38 PM9/9/22
David Brooks formulated the question :
I don't like that article. It can't seem to differentiate corruption
from infection. Last I knew, they were two separate things.

David Brooks

Sep 9, 2022, 5:33:23 PM9/9/22
Do you have any understanding of why the link won't 'work' at all in
Safari, Google Chrome or Brave yet it DOES play in Firefox? (albeit in a
small size).

Apd

Sep 9, 2022, 6:27:13 PM9/9/22
"David Brooks" wrote:
> On 09/09/2022 19:41, FromTheRafters wrote:
>> David Brooks formulated the question :
>>> [...] can mp4s have viruses? Simply put, yes because these extensions
>>> are vulnerable to virus infection. You might be wondering how this can
>>> happen. You see, it's likely that malware can disguise itself as a video
>>> file, making the video files favorite for malware writers.//
>>
>> I don't like that article. It can't seem to differentiate corruption from
>> infection. Last I knew, they were two separate things.

I agree. It's simplistic hogwash. An exe pretending to be an mp4 isn't
an mp4. An mp4 isn't executable and can't be infected. It is possible
that if a media player had a vulnerability, an mp4 could be crafted to
exploit that.

> Do you have any understanding of why the link won't 'work' at all in
> Safari, Google Chrome or Brave yet it DOES play in Firefox? (albeit in a
> small size).

I wouldn't know about browsers, but both links work and the videos are
fine. They are quite large, the first (Morro Bay) being 124 MiB with a
screen size of 1920x1080 pixels, and the second (Cayucos Point) being
616 MiB with the same screen size.

FromTheRafters

Sep 9, 2022, 6:49:33 PM9/9/22
Apd used his keyboard to write :
Yeah, I think it is resource problem. I go fullscreen and it is stop
and go even worse than the small, what is that, a canvas?

HunterBD

Sep 15, 2022, 5:38:00 PM9/15/22
On 15/09/2022 22:34, HunterBD wrote:
> On 15/09/2022 14:47, Apd wrote:
>>>
>>> Absolutely not! I'm not here to learn things (although I do) but to
>>> 'look
>>> under the stones' like kids do on the beach.
>>
>> That's the problem - you rarely learn anything. This is why you keep
>> asking about the same things over and over. No doubt you've heard this
>> proverb:
>>
>> "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you
>>   feed him for a lifetime".
>
> Of course. :-D
>
> You are so forgetful.
>
> I was a professional Training Officer. A TEACHER!
>
> My most notable student was Prince Andrew, duke of York, during his
> flying training in the Royal Navy.
> https://www.britannica.com/biography/Andrew-duke-of-York
>
>> An interpretation is that if someone is taught how to do something,
>> it's of more benefit in the long run than doing it for them. For you,
>> that means if you made an effort to understand some of the
>> technicalities about aspects of computing that are confusing, you
>> could move out of Punxsutawney.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GncQtURdcE4&t=0s
>
> I can confirm that I have done some things the same way over and over
> and expected to get the same answer - but just occasionally the answer
> WAS different! Crazy, eh?!!
>
> Tell me YOUR claim to fame, Ant. What was the high point of YOUR career?
>
>>> You have found an odd-ball video amongst the others. There MUST be a
>>> reason for that. I'd like to be sure that it's innocent.
>>
>> There's nothing odd about the video(s). As I said earlier, it's the
>> way the server is reporting them, usually to the browser but in one
>> case to other utilities.
>
> You said. But you do not know why.
>
>>> You have, I'm sure, checked that there aren't hidden messages inside.
>>
>> Don't be ridiculous. I'm not going through hundreds of megabytes of
>> data when it's obvious nothing will be found. Naturally, I've looked
>> at the headers to see if there's any noteworthy differences (there
>> aren't).
>
> I once opened just about every file on a Windows XP machine using
> Notepad ...... and discovered that Hewlett Packard was sending messages
> 'home' to disclose the usage of my printer.

That ended with this outcome:-

https://www.euroconsumers.org/activities/printergate-euroconsumers-asks-hp-to-compensate-printer-owners-up-to-eur150

--
Kind regards,