PDF Reader for Mac

Jeff Gaines

Sep 18, 2021, 9:59:05 AMSep 18

I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling like
mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a Big Sur
equivalent, preferably free? I'd like to stretch it across two monitors so
I can read long pieces of music on it.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

Chris

Sep 18, 2021, 10:56:21 AMSep 18
Jeff Gaines <jgaines...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling like
> mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a Big Sur
> equivalent, preferably free? I'd like to stretch it across two monitors so
> I can read long pieces of music on it.

Adobe Reader?

Bruce Horrocks

Sep 18, 2021, 1:57:52 PMSep 18
On 18/09/2021 14:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling
> like mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a
> Big Sur equivalent, preferably free? I'd like to stretch it across two
> monitors so I can read long pieces of music on it.
>
> Thanks.

Foxit is available for the Mac - it's in the store.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Martin S Taylor

Sep 19, 2021, 5:11:51 AMSep 19
On Sep 18, 2021, Jeff Gaines wrote
(in article <xn0n316ql...@news.individual.net>):

> I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling like
> mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a Big Sur
> equivalent, preferably free?

PDF Expert by Readdle. I don't think it's free, but it's very good.

MST

Wolffan

Sep 19, 2021, 6:15:51 AMSep 19
On 2021 Sep 18, Jeff Gaines wrote
(in article <xn0n316ql...@news.individual.net>):

> I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling like
> mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a Big Sur
> equivalent, preferably free? I'd like to stretch it across two monitors so
> I can read long pieces of music on it.
>
> Thanks.

I use PDF Expert. It’s not free, but it is very good. Foxit Reader (free)
and Foxit Editor (not free) are in the app store. Adobe Reader is free.
It’s also a bug-filled minefield.

Wolffan

Sep 19, 2021, 6:16:46 AMSep 19
On 2021 Sep 19, Martin S Taylor wrote
(in article<0001HW.26F7365500...@news.eternal-september.org>):
another vote for PDF Expert. it’s become my PDF editor of choice.

HHI the imaginary friend

Sep 19, 2021, 6:50:04 AMSep 19
DuckDuckGo for 'functionally illiterate fraud' and Dustin Cook's name pop
up: <https://www.google.com/search?q=Dustin+Cook+the+functionally+illiterate+fraud>.
You hacked it and did extensive testing and your "extensive experience" lead
you to that conclusion, and...

Despicable Owl is STILL fixated on *only* himself, as I predicted, when
it comes to the issue of forgery. And he completely sidesteps the evidence
that his "sock" has not only confessed to engaging in that against Troll
Killer Snit but he's said he thinks it to be no huge deal... a non-issue.
Are you being stupid on purpose?

Translation: "Despicable Owl" is now ENTIRELY powerless to shield his lying.

-
E-commerce Simplified!
http://cityrecord.engineering.nyu.edu/data/1910/1910-01-11.pdf
http://cityrecord.engineering.nyu.edu/data/1910/1910-01-11.pdf
Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Carroll

David Kennedy

Sep 19, 2021, 9:05:07 AMSep 19
On 18/09/2021 14:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling like
> mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a Big Sur
> equivalent, preferably free? I'd like to stretch it across two monitors so I
> can read long pieces of music on it.
>
> Thanks.

Surely this must be an iffy pdf? Preview copes with stuff much bigger. Or did
you mean 350MB?

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

Wolffan

Sep 19, 2021, 9:48:09 AMSep 19
On 2021 Sep 19, Alan B wrote
(in article<si76jq$dla$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>):

> On 2021-09-19, Wolffan<akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 2021 Sep 18, Jeff Gaines wrote
> > (in article <xn0n316ql...@news.individual.net>):
> >

> > > I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling like
> > > mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a Big Sur
> > > equivalent, preferably free? I'd like to stretch it across two monitors so
> > > I can read long pieces of music on it.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I use PDF Expert. It’s not free, but it is very good.
>
> £69.99 for a tool I would rarely use seems a bit steep :(

I use it quite often, usually on a weekly basis, sometimes several times a
week. It does most of what Acrobat does, for a fraction of the price, and
with far fewer security issues.

But if you only use it occasionally, it’s overkill. Adobe Reader will
handle basic PDF viewing for free, you just have to be aware of Adobe’s
multitude of security issues.

Jeff Gaines

Sep 19, 2021, 10:25:39 AMSep 19
On 19/09/2021 in message
<8JudnWMLV4ccqNr8...@brightview.co.uk> David Kennedy wrote:

>On 18/09/2021 14:59, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>I am trying to read a 350 KB document in Previews and it's struggling like
>> mad. I use Foxit on Windows which is brill. Any suggestions for a Big Sur equivalent, preferably free? I'd like to stretch it across two monitors so I can read long pieces of music on it.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>Surely this must be an iffy pdf? Preview copes with stuff much bigger. Or
>did you mean 350MB?

No, 350 KB - it was OK after a re-boot, shock & horror may be expressed in
the thread "Mac Mini Stuttering"!

Martin S Taylor

Sep 19, 2021, 2:48:00 PMSep 19
On Sep 19, 2021, Alan B wrote
(in article<si76jq$dla$1...@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>):

> > I use PDF Expert. It’s not free, but it is very good.
>
> £69.99 for a tool I would rarely use seems a bit steep :(

I agree. Is it really that much? I must have got it on some deal or other.

MST

Snit Michael Glasser

Sep 19, 2021, 9:26:47 PMSep 19
ClamXav was initially designed and transcoded using a bootleg copy of visual
studio, in AppleScript. The malware is real, its presence at any point
in time being on your Linux boot disk is a short circuit. Snit has been
over this, in exquisite detail previously, Rbowman. Rbowman says I'm not
'allowed' to call out their nonsense, and they aren't going to acknowledge
any prior nonsense they caused. Rather, I'm expected to forget it all,
and give them a clean slate so they can just rehash the nonsense all over
again, while they continue to accept no responsibility for what they say
and do in here towards myself?

I am a complete advocate of AZ Cypher, because that's where all the thrilling
usability improvements are happening.

Folks who've known Rbowman for quite a while, and also have experience
with him highly advise denouncing him to get him to setup circle someplace
else. As long as Snit and anyone else continues to succumb to his desires,
he won't seek to be the focus of every thread someplace else.

--
I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened!
https://gibiru.com/results.html?q=Steve+Petruzzellis+%22NARCISSISTIC+BIGOT%22

danny burstein

Sep 19, 2021, 10:19:04 PMSep 19
[snipppp]
>>Surely this must be an iffy pdf? Preview copes with stuff much bigger. Or
>>did you mean 350MB?

>No, 350 KB - it was OK after a re-boot, shock & horror may be expressed in
>the thread "Mac Mini Stuttering"!

Afraid I can't give version numbers... but every so
often I get a PDF from folk and...

well, the first was from the US's Social Security Administration
(yeah, I'm in the Colonies) and Preview took a long time
of chugging away, then gave me only partial images of some
of the pages.

A friend of mine, using a more recent version of Preview,
had it open just fine.

File was modest size, just basic text (well, PDF'ed), of
four or five pages.

More recently I received a 50 page file from another
gove't agency. Again, just basic text.

A bunch of pages were completely blank. I sent the
agency a note asking if, perhaps, they had PDF'ed and
kicked over the nominally blank back sides of the pages.

They said no.

I pulled the file into a different viewer (Adobe something)
and the blank pages were fine.

So yeah, this sometimes happens.

dan...@panix.com

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 20, 2021, 10:09:44 AMSep 20
On 20 Sep 2021 at 03:19:02 BST, "danny burstein" <dan...@panix.com>
wrote:

> [snipppp]
>>> Surely this must be an iffy pdf? Preview copes with stuff much bigger. Or
>>> did you mean 350MB?
>
>> No, 350 KB - it was OK after a re-boot, shock & horror may be expressed in
>> the thread "Mac Mini Stuttering"!
>
> Afraid I can't give version numbers... but every so
> often I get a PDF from folk and...
>
> well, the first was from the US's Social Security Administration
> (yeah, I'm in the Colonies) and Preview took a long time
> of chugging away, then gave me only partial images of some
> of the pages.
>
> A friend of mine, using a more recent version of Preview,
> had it open just fine.
>
> File was modest size, just basic text (well, PDF'ed), of
> four or five pages.
>
> More recently I received a 50 page file from another
> gove't agency. Again, just basic text.
>
> A bunch of pages were completely blank. I sent the
> agency a note asking if, perhaps, they had PDF'ed and
> kicked over the nominally blank back sides of the pages.
>
> They said no.
>
> I pulled the file into a different viewer (Adobe something)
> and the blank pages were fine.
>
> So yeah, this sometimes happens.

It does. Sometimes it's weird features that Preview presumably doesn't
support, other times it's broken PDFs.

I keep a copy of Adobe Reader around solely for those. Although I
haven't got it on this machine, so I've not needed it in over two years
since the rebuild :)

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Tetris has taught me that accomplishments disappear and mistakes pile up.