Fusion Drive Problem - check with EtreCheck

EtreCheckPro

David Brooks

Oct 2, 2022, 11:09:13 AM10/2/22
FOR REVIEW BY FELLOW USENET FOLK

Fusion Drive Problem - check with EtreCheck

EtreCheckPro version: 6.7.1
(67011)
Report generated: 2022-10-02 10:21:20
Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com
Runtime: 2:34

Performance: Excellent

Problem: Other problem
*Fusion Drive is no longer working as it should*

Major Issues:
    Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

    Low disk space - This computer is running critically low on free
hard drive space.

Minor Issues:
    These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate
future problems or opportunities for improvement.

    Heavy RAM usage - Apps are using a large amount of RAM.
    x86-only Apps - This computer has x86-only apps might not work on
future versions of the operating system.
    Limited permissions - More information may be available with Full
Disk Access.

Hardware Information:
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
    iMac Model: iMac18,3
    3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-7600K) CPU: 4-core
    24 GB RAM - Upgradeable
        BANK 0/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR4 SO-DIMM 2400
        BANK 0/DIMM1 - 8 GB DDR4 SO-DIMM 2400
        BANK 1/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR4 SO-DIMM 2400
        BANK 1/DIMM1 - 8 GB DDR4 SO-DIMM 2400

Video Information:
    Radeon Pro 580 - VRAM: 8 GB
        iMac (built-in) 5120 x 2880

Drives:
    disk0 - APPLE SSD SM0128L 121.33 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)
    Internal PCI-Express 8.0 GT/s x4 NVM Express
        disk0s1 - EFI [EFI] 315 MB
        disk0s2 [APFS Container] 121.02 GB
            disk2 [APFS Virtual drive] 121.02 GB (Shared by 6 volumes)
                disk2s1 - Macintosh HD - Data (APFS) [APFS Virtual
drive] (84.04 GB used)
                disk2s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (269 MB used)
                disk2s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (1.12 GB used)
                disk2s4 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (1.07 GB used)
                disk2s5 (APFS) [APFS Container] (15.41 GB used)
                    disk2s5s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) [APFS Snapshot]
(15.41 GB used)
                disk2s6 - Update (APFS) (684 KB used)

    disk1 - APPLE HDD ST2000DM001 2.00 TB (Mechanical - 7200 RPM)
    Internal SATA 6 Gigabit Serial ATA
        disk1s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB
        disk1s2 [APFS Container] 2.00 TB
            disk3 [APFS Virtual drive] 2.00 TB (Shared by 1 volumes)
                disk3s1 - Macintosh HD - Data (APFS) (852 KB used)

Mounted Volumes:
    disk2s1 - Macintosh HD - Data [APFS Virtual drive]
        Filesystem: APFS
        Mount point: /System/Volumes/Data
        Used: 84.04 GB
        Shared values
            Size: 121.02 GB
            Free: 18.98 GB
            Available: 39.82 GB

    disk2s2 - Preboot [APFS Preboot]
        Filesystem: APFS
        Mount point: /System/Volumes/Preboot
        Used: 269 MB
        Shared values
            Size: 121.02 GB
            Free: 18.98 GB

    disk2s4 - VM [APFS VM]
        Filesystem: APFS
        Mount point: /System/Volumes/VM
        Used: 1.07 GB
        Shared values
            Size: 121.02 GB
            Free: 18.98 GB

    disk2s5s1 - Macintosh HD [APFS Snapshot]
        Filesystem: APFS
        Mount point: /
        Read-only: Yes
        Used: 15.41 GB
        Shared values
            Size: 121.02 GB
            Free: 18.98 GB
            Available: 39.82 GB

    disk2s6 - Update
        Filesystem: APFS
        Mount point: /System/Volumes/Update
        Used: 684 KB
        Shared values
            Size: 121.02 GB
            Free: 18.98 GB

    disk3s1 - Macintosh HD - Data
        Filesystem: APFS
        Mount point: /Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data
        Used: 852 KB
        Shared values
            Size: 2.00 TB
            Free: 2.00 TB

Network:
    Interface en0: Ethernet
    Interface en1: Wi-Fi
    Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge
    iCloud Status: one pending file

System Software:
    macOS Monterey 12.6 (21G115)
    Time since boot: About 2 days

Notifications:

    Thunderbird.app
        65 notifications

Security:
    Gatekeeper: App Store and identified developers
    System Integrity Protection: Enabled

    Antivirus software: Apple

Old Applications:
    2 x86-only apps

System Launch Daemons:
    [Not Loaded] 37 Apple tasks
    [Loaded] 191 Apple tasks
    [Running] 152 Apple tasks
    [Other] One Apple task

System Launch Agents:
    [Not Loaded] 15 Apple tasks
    [Loaded] 164 Apple tasks
    [Running] 177 Apple tasks

User Login Items:
    [Not Loaded] WhatsApp Login Helper (App Store - installed 2022-09-26)
        Modern Login Item
        /Applications/WhatsApp.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/WhatsApp
Login Helper.app

Backup:
    Time Machine information is limited without Full Disk Access
    Destinations:
        M*****k [Local] (Last used)

Performance:
    System Load: 0.92 (1 min ago) 1.22 (5 min ago) 1.31 (15 min ago)
    Nominal I/O usage: 0.59 MB/s
    File system: 21.55 seconds
    Write speed: 303 MB/s
    Read speed: 2532 MB/s

CPU Usage Snapshot:
    Type Overall
    System: 5 %
    User: 15 %
    Idle: 80 %

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:
    Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)
    EtreCheckPro 11.26 % (Etresoft, Inc.)
    Safari 8.88 % (Apple)
    WindowServer 4.86 % (Apple)
    kernel_task 2.44 % (Apple)
    bluetoothd 1.84 % (Apple)

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:
    Process (count) RAM usage (Source - Location)
    com.apple.WebKit.WebContent (12) 3.15 GB (Apple)
    thunderbird 1.08 GB (Mozilla Corporation)
    Mail 881 MB (Apple)
    EtreCheckPro 666 MB (Etresoft, Inc.)
    Safari 410 MB (Apple)

Top Processes Snapshot by Network Use:
    Process Input / Output (Source - Location)
    Mail 57 MB / 627 KB (Apple)
    mDNSResponder 17 MB / 2 MB (Apple)
    com.apple.WebKit.Networking 16 MB / 407 KB (Apple)
    thunderbird 6 MB / 4 KB (Mozilla Corporation)
    netbiosd 164 KB / 99 KB (Apple)

Top Processes Snapshot by Energy Use:
    Process (count) Energy (0-100) (Source - Location)
    com.apple.WebKit.WebContent (12) 23 (Apple)
    com.apple.WebKit.Networking 8 (Apple)
    Safari 2 (Apple)
    WindowServer 2 (Apple)
    trustd (4) 1 (Apple)

Virtual Memory Information:
    Physical RAM: 24 GB

    Free RAM: 4.34 GB
    Used RAM: 13.30 GB
    Cached files: 6.36 GB

    Available RAM: 10.70 GB
    Swap Used: 20 MB

Software Installs (past 60 days):
    Install Date Name (Version)
    2022-09-26 macOS 12.6 (12.6)
    2022-09-26 EasyFind (4.9.3)
    2022-09-26 XProtectPlistConfigData (2162)
    2022-09-26 MRTConfigData (1.93)
    2022-09-26 Safari (16.0)
    2022-09-26 WhatsApp (2.2232.8)
    2022-09-26 Twitter (9.21)
    2022-09-28 Mobile Device (1.0.0.0)
    2022-09-29 XProtectPayloads (75)

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):
    2022-09-28 12:09:26 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent - High CPU Use
        Executable:
/Library/Apple/*/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

End of report

Snit

Oct 2, 2022, 12:12:12 PM10/2/22
On Oct 2, 2022 at 8:09:11 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<rQh_K.404938$9f26....@fx09.ams1>:

> FOR REVIEW BY FELLOW USENET FOLK

What are you looking for? Seems you are low on disk space.
--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

David Brooks

Oct 2, 2022, 1:42:51 PM10/2/22
On 02/10/2022 17:12, Snit wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2022 at 8:09:11 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <rQh_K.404938$9f26....@fx09.ams1>:
>
>> FOR REVIEW BY FELLOW USENET FOLK
>
> What are you looking for? Seems you are low on disk space.

I messed up last Sunday when I wiped and reinstalled, so decided that
before I repaired matters, I'd run another EtreCheck scan and keep it
'in the cloud'!

It gave me a little more practice with using Terminal.

Here's where things stood just before I hit 'return':-

https://ibb.co/TY5xx8x

The bonus, of course, is that I no longer have ANY of the tools from The
Eclectic Light Company installed on my computer. :-D

--
David

Snit

Oct 2, 2022, 1:47:35 PM10/2/22
On Oct 2, 2022 at 10:42:49 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<t4k_K.1061970$%fx6.8...@fx14.ams1>:

> On 02/10/2022 17:12, Snit wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2022 at 8:09:11 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <rQh_K.404938$9f26....@fx09.ams1>:
>>
>>> FOR REVIEW BY FELLOW USENET FOLK
>>
>> What are you looking for? Seems you are low on disk space.
>

> I messed up last Sunday when I wiped and reinstalled, so decided that
> before I repaired matters, I'd run another EtreCheck scan and keep it
> 'in the cloud'!

Why did you wipe and reinstall?

> It gave me a little more practice with using Terminal.
>
> Here's where things stood just before I hit 'return':-
>
> https://ibb.co/TY5xx8x
>
> The bonus, of course, is that I no longer have ANY of the tools from The
> Eclectic Light Company installed on my computer. :-D

Not sure what your goal is.

David Brooks

Oct 2, 2022, 2:30:41 PM10/2/22
On 02/10/2022 18:47, Snit wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2022 at 10:42:49 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <t4k_K.1061970$%fx6.8...@fx14.ams1>:
>
>> On 02/10/2022 17:12, Snit wrote:

>>> What are you looking for? Seems you are low on disk space.
>>

>> I messed up last Sunday when I wiped and reinstalled, so decided that
>> before I repaired matters, I'd run another EtreCheck scan and keep it
>> 'in the cloud'!
>
> Why did you wipe and reinstall?

Practice really. I do so quite regularly.

*Can Malware Go Undetected? How Viruses Hide From You*

If a malware developer knows that an antivirus will identify their code,
they still have a few tactics up their sleeves to prevent detection.

One of them is a trick called “obfuscation.” This is when a malware
developer cleverly hides their malicious code so an antivirus won’t find
it. For example, they may deploy a program that automatically encrypts
and decrypts the bad parts, or change the code of the virus itself so it
looks different every time it infects someone.

By changing how it looks, it keeps the antivirus on its toes. An
antivirus is looking for a specific "signature" that identifies a
specific strain of malware for what it is, so if the malware developer
can hide this signature, it can dodge an antivirus scan better.

https://www.makeuseof.com/can-malware-go-undetected-how-viruses-hide-from-you/

>> It gave me a little more practice with using Terminal.
>>
>> Here's where things stood just before I hit 'return':-
>>
>> https://ibb.co/TY5xx8x
>>
>> The bonus, of course, is that I no longer have ANY of the tools from The
>> Eclectic Light Company installed on my computer. :-D
>
> Not sure what your goal is.

To be 100% sure that any malware present was removed from my computer.

How do YOU ensure that YOUR computer has not been compromised?

This is another serious question!

--
David

Snit

Oct 2, 2022, 2:55:34 PM10/2/22
On Oct 2, 2022 at 11:30:39 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<jNk_K.1924992$ulh3.1...@fx06.ams1>:

> On 02/10/2022 18:47, Snit wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2022 at 10:42:49 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <t4k_K.1061970$%fx6.8...@fx14.ams1>:

>>> I messed up last Sunday when I wiped and reinstalled, so decided that
>>> before I repaired matters, I'd run another EtreCheck scan and keep it
>>> 'in the cloud'!
>>
>> Why did you wipe and reinstall?
>
> Practice really. I do so quite regularly.

Cannot see where it hurts anything, but seems odd to me.

> *Can Malware Go Undetected? How Viruses Hide From You*
>
> If a malware developer knows that an antivirus will identify their code,
> they still have a few tactics up their sleeves to prevent detection.
>
> One of them is a trick called “obfuscation.” This is when a malware
> developer cleverly hides their malicious code so an antivirus won’t find
> it. For example, they may deploy a program that automatically encrypts
> and decrypts the bad parts, or change the code of the virus itself so it
> looks different every time it infects someone.
>
> By changing how it looks, it keeps the antivirus on its toes. An
> antivirus is looking for a specific "signature" that identifies a
> specific strain of malware for what it is, so if the malware developer
> can hide this signature, it can dodge an antivirus scan better.
>
> https://www.makeuseof.com/can-malware-go-undetected-how-viruses-hide-from-you/
>
>>> It gave me a little more practice with using Terminal.
>>>
>>> Here's where things stood just before I hit 'return':-
>>>
>>> https://ibb.co/TY5xx8x
>>>
>>> The bonus, of course, is that I no longer have ANY of the tools from The
>>> Eclectic Light Company installed on my computer. :-D
>>
>> Not sure what your goal is.
>
> To be 100% sure that any malware present was removed from my computer.

A full wipe and reinstall does not show that 100%.

> How do YOU ensure that YOUR computer has not been compromised?

I take basic precautions and do not spend a lot of time worrying about it.

How do you know there is not someone breaking into your house when you are
gone and messing with things? It is not likely... but it COULD happen!

> This is another serious question!

I just do not spend much time worrying about it.

FromTheRafters

Oct 2, 2022, 4:34:28 PM10/2/22
Snit expressed precisely :
Oh no! Now you've done it. :)

--
Feed a cold, starve a paranoid delusion.

Snit

Oct 2, 2022, 5:18:56 PM10/2/22
On Oct 2, 2022 at 1:34:24 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
<thcski$1r010$1...@dont-email.me>:
LOL!

David Brooks

Oct 2, 2022, 5:45:06 PM10/2/22
On 02/10/2022 19:55, Snit wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2022 at 11:30:39 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <jNk_K.1924992$ulh3.1...@fx06.ams1>:
>
>> On 02/10/2022 18:47, Snit wrote:

>>> Why did you wipe and reinstall?
>>
>> Practice really. I do so quite regularly.
>
> Cannot see where it hurts anything, but seems odd to me.

Odd, perhaps, but it feels good! :-D

>> *Can Malware Go Undetected? How Viruses Hide From You*
>>
>> If a malware developer knows that an antivirus will identify their code,
>> they still have a few tactics up their sleeves to prevent detection.
>>
>> One of them is a trick called “obfuscation.” This is when a malware
>> developer cleverly hides their malicious code so an antivirus won’t find
>> it. For example, they may deploy a program that automatically encrypts
>> and decrypts the bad parts, or change the code of the virus itself so it
>> looks different every time it infects someone.
>>
>> By changing how it looks, it keeps the antivirus on its toes. An
>> antivirus is looking for a specific "signature" that identifies a
>> specific strain of malware for what it is, so if the malware developer
>> can hide this signature, it can dodge an antivirus scan better.
>>
>> https://www.makeuseof.com/can-malware-go-undetected-how-viruses-hide-from-you/

>>> Not sure what your goal is.
>>
>> To be 100% sure that any malware present was removed from my computer.
>
> A full wipe and reinstall does not show that 100%.

That's EXACTLY that the police told me way back in 2005!
I didn't believe them at first! One of the reasons I later bought an
Apple iMac!

>> How do YOU ensure that YOUR computer has not been compromised?
>
> I take basic precautions and do not spend a lot of time worrying about it.

I don't WORRY about the malware at all - just the folk who perpetrate it!

> How do you know there is not someone breaking into your house when you are
> gone and messing with things? It is not likely... but it COULD happen!

I've told you before, I trust in God to protect me! :-D

>> This is another serious question!
>
> I just do not spend much time worrying about it.

Me neither! Trying to catch bad guys is fun! 🙂

Snit

Oct 2, 2022, 5:53:09 PM10/2/22
On Oct 2, 2022 at 2:45:03 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<zDn_K.554740$wkZ5....@fx11.ams1>:

> On 02/10/2022 19:55, Snit wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2022 at 11:30:39 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <jNk_K.1924992$ulh3.1...@fx06.ams1>:

>>> Practice really. I do so quite regularly.
>>
>> Cannot see where it hurts anything, but seems odd to me.
>
> Odd, perhaps, but it feels good! :-D

And that is what really matters -- are you happy with what you have.

With me I have not done a fresh install since the Classic Mac days... I
upgrade in place. Did have one glitch doing so, years ago, but it has been
pretty flawless.

>>> *Can Malware Go Undetected? How Viruses Hide From You*
>>>
>>> If a malware developer knows that an antivirus will identify their code,
>>> they still have a few tactics up their sleeves to prevent detection.
>>>
>>> One of them is a trick called “obfuscation.” This is when a malware
>>> developer cleverly hides their malicious code so an antivirus won’t find
>>> it. For example, they may deploy a program that automatically encrypts
>>> and decrypts the bad parts, or change the code of the virus itself so it
>>> looks different every time it infects someone.
>>>
>>> By changing how it looks, it keeps the antivirus on its toes. An
>>> antivirus is looking for a specific "signature" that identifies a
>>> specific strain of malware for what it is, so if the malware developer
>>> can hide this signature, it can dodge an antivirus scan better.
>>>
>>> https://www.makeuseof.com/can-malware-go-undetected-how-viruses-hide-from-you/

>>> To be 100% sure that any malware present was removed from my computer.
>>
>> A full wipe and reinstall does not show that 100%.
>
> That's EXACTLY that the police told me way back in 2005!
> I didn't believe them at first! One of the reasons I later bought an
> Apple iMac!

You can have your firmware modified... and more. It is not common, but if you
want to be 100% sure there is no real way to do that. The system can COME with
modified firmware.

>>> How do YOU ensure that YOUR computer has not been compromised?
>>
>> I take basic precautions and do not spend a lot of time worrying about it.
>
> I don't WORRY about the malware at all - just the folk who perpetrate it!

I know they are out there... but I also know there are many bad people out
there. When I encounter them I deal with it (recently did on a hike when I ran
into a bad situation).

>> How do you know there is not someone breaking into your house when you are
>> gone and messing with things? It is not likely... but it COULD happen!
>
> I've told you before, I trust in God to protect me! :-D

Have you never had malware?

>>> This is another serious question!
>>
>> I just do not spend much time worrying about it.
>
> Me neither! Trying to catch bad guys is fun! 🙂

As long as you are doing it for fun... but understand that suggesting someone
seems like a bad guy based on what is likely a bad download is going to push
that developer away from you.

Kelly Phillips

Oct 2, 2022, 8:17:18 PM10/2/22
On Sun, 2 Oct 2022 18:42:49 +0100, David Brooks <B...@not.on.your.life>
wrote:

>I messed up last Sunday when I wiped and reinstalled, so decided that
>before I repaired matters, I'd run another EtreCheck scan and keep it
>'in the cloud'!

I remember a time, not that long ago, when you claimed that you would
never use that software because you didn't trust it, or its primary
developer. Is an apology in order?

Kelly Phillips

Oct 3, 2022, 10:33:23 PM10/3/22
On Sun, 2 Oct 2022 19:30:39 +0100, David Brooks <B...@not.on.your.life>
wrote:

>On 02/10/2022 18:47, Snit wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2022 at 10:42:49 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <t4k_K.1061970$%fx6.8...@fx14.ams1>:

>>> I messed up last Sunday when I wiped and reinstalled, so decided that
>>> before I repaired matters, I'd run another EtreCheck scan and keep it
>>> 'in the cloud'!
>>
>> Why did you wipe and reinstall?
>
>Practice really. I do so quite regularly.

Yes, you do, but when I mentioned recently that you do that, you had a
problem with it. I'm glad you've come around to reality, but what took
so long?