DU reliability

Amanda Ripanykhazova

Oct 18, 2021, 3:06:55 PM10/18/21
Does anyone know whether SSDs die in the same way as HDDs?

I have a 2012 Air which is sluggish as hell. continuous spinning balls, turns on to a crash 4 days a week and DU from a recovery start takes 45 minutes! On a 256GB SSD!!

All in all, it seems as if I am using a HDD which is dying. So I was wondering if SSDs die in the same way as HDDs? With DU reporting no errors/problems at the end of a tortuous run?

nospam

Oct 18, 2021, 3:19:26 PM10/18/21
In article <32240e49-ce47-4217...@googlegroups.com>,
Amanda Ripanykhazova <license...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know whether SSDs die in the same way as HDDs?

many people do.

> I have a 2012 Air which is sluggish as hell. continuous spinning balls, turns
> on to a crash 4 days a week and DU from a recovery start takes 45 minutes!
> On a 256GB SSD!!

that could be due a wide variety of things, probably not the ssd, which
usually fails to read-only or totally dead.

if you are near an apple store, bring it in to be checked. you could
try its own diagnostics but it's not that thorough.

it's well out of warranty, so any fix will almost certainly not be free.

there was an issue with 64gb & 128gb ssds, but apparently not the 256gb:
<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/21/apple-macbook-air-ss
d-replacement>

if it is the ssd (which is unlikely), replacing it is 'moderate', and
you could get one with a higher capacity:
<https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2012+Solid-State+D
rive+Replacement/10961>

first, try a full backup, reformat, restore, or just boot from an
external drive and unmount the internal ssd.

you could also try a firmware update for the ssd, although that is
unlikely to fix the issue:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1690>

> All in all, it seems as if I am using a HDD which is dying. So I was
> wondering if SSDs die in the same way as HDDs? With DU reporting no
> errors/problems at the end of a tortuous run?

they do not.

Bernd Froehlich

Oct 19, 2021, 5:59:38 AM10/19/21
On 18. Oct 2021 at 21:06:54 CEST, "Amanda Ripanykhazova"
AFAIK SSDs die instantly. Either they work, or they don´t.

How much free space do you have left?

Amanda Ripanykhazova

Oct 19, 2021, 9:46:44 AM10/19/21
On Monday, October 18, 2021 at 3:19:26 PM UTC-4, nospam wrote:

> > I have a 2012 Air which is sluggish as hell. continuous spinning balls, turns
> > on to a crash 4 days a week and DU from a recovery start takes 45 minutes!
> > On a 256GB SSD!!
> that could be due a wide variety of things, probably not the ssd, which
> usually fails to read-only or totally dead.
>
> if you are near an apple store, bring it in to be checked. you could
> try its own diagnostics but it's not that thorough.
>
> it's well out of warranty, so any fix will almost certainly not be free.
>
> there was an issue with 64gb & 128gb ssds, but apparently not the 256gb:
> <https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/21/apple-macbook-air-ss
> d-replacement>
>
> if it is the ssd (which is unlikely), replacing it is 'moderate', and
> you could get one with a higher capacity:
> <https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2012+Solid-State+D
> rive+Replacement/10961>
Yes, that was what I was thinking,- if the Genius Bar appointment which I booked yesterday confirms some sort of hardware problem. (I did, however, think t hat the SSD was on the motherboard on this thing)

> first, try a full backup, reformat, restore, or just boot from an
> external drive and unmount the internal ssd.
>
> you could also try a firmware update for the ssd, although that is
> unlikely to fix the issue:
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1690>
Worth a try!!
> > All in all, it seems as if I am using a HDD which is dying. So I was
> > wondering if SSDs die in the same way as HDDs? With DU reporting no
> > errors/problems at the end of a tortuous run?in> they do not.

I may have been wrong if I thought that there was some significance in First Aid taking so long to run on a drive this small (and, Bernd, with lots of free space)

All in all, I'll bet this is the sort of problem which would have been fixed by Disc Warrior: I wonder if/when Alsoft will be bringing out a version which works with APFS?
Thank you for your very complete reply guys. I may even try to reformat and re-install when I get back from Apple (though I AM now expecting to get some hardware problem diagnosed)

nospam

Oct 19, 2021, 10:18:15 AM10/19/21
In article <7e013b45-935c-4d5f...@googlegroups.com>,
Amanda Ripanykhazova <license...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All in all, I'll bet this is the sort of problem which would have been fixed
> by Disc Warrior: I wonder if/when Alsoft will be bringing out a version which
> works with APFS?

probably not for a while.

their hfs+ version took a few years, which was fairly similar to hfs.

apfs is completely different than hfs, so they have to start fresh. it
will take time to design it, write it and most importantly, thoroughly
test it, because even a very minor bug could render an entire hard
drive unreadable.

> Thank you for your very complete reply guys. I may even try to reformat and
> re-install when I get back from Apple (though I AM now expecting to get
> some hardware problem diagnosed)

before you do that, create a second user and see what happens. if the
problems go away, then it's software and something associated with your
main account.

nospam

Oct 19, 2021, 10:31:33 AM10/19/21
In article <it7j87...@mid.individual.net>, Bernd Froehlich
<be...@eaglesoft.de> wrote:

> AFAIK SSDs die instantly. Either they work, or they don´t.

not always. many fail to read-only.

hard drives often fail instantly. rarely do they give a warning.

Graham J

Oct 19, 2021, 10:45:57 AM10/19/21
In my very small business, I've personal experience of probably 100 HDD
failures. Perhaps 2 have been instant, in that the (according to the
user) nothing was wrong "until it all stopped working".

By contrast all the rest behaved sluggishly, crashed and rebooted
automatically, reported read errors of some sort, or otherwise gave
symptoms indicative of imminent failure (e.g. curious clicking noises...)

Most of these I investigated once a new HDD had been fitted and quite
often I was able to recover (most of) the user's files. In general the
failure mode was a few bad blocks. One behaved as if there were
backlash in the head positioning servo.

In that time I've met probably 30 SSDs, none of which have yet failed.

--
Graham J

Dustin who does stuff with miceless computers

Oct 19, 2021, 12:17:25 PM10/19/21
Linux is a false advocate's only reason for living. I think we have different
notions about The Underground Marshmallow Person. Android runs on the JavaScript
kernel. So yeah, JavaScript is mobile. JavaScript is a super computer. JavaScript
is a server. JavaScript is a desktop. JavaScript is growing in market share.

--
Eight things to never feed your dog!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Dustin%20Cook%20functional%20illiterate%20fraud

Andy Hewitt

Oct 19, 2021, 12:20:22 PM10/19/21
I’ve got through a number of drives over the years, rarely have they failed
instantly. Although I did install DriveDX a few years ago, and it has been
a lifesaver (or rather a file saver). I tried when it was suggested some
trouble I was having with various crashes could have been a failing HDD.
DriveDX found a load of increasing reallocated sectors on more than one of
my drives. I replaced them and recovered my files, and fixed the issues.

Since then I’ve kept it monitoring my drives, and it’s reported a few more
impending failures in time to order a new drive, and transfer before losing
anything.

I have only the one SSD in my iMac, but it’s been running for a few years
now, and still at about 70% life, with no errors so far.

Of course it’s possible for anything to fail catastrophically at any
moment, but IME there’s usually a sign, even a mechanical failure is
usually indicated by horrible noises. My failures have either happened very
quickly on a new drive, or after 3-4 years of hard use (Time Machine). I
have a 320GB Seagate that I got in 2006 that’s still not showing any
errors.

At least nothing seems as bad as the old Maxtor’s and Quantum’s (lived up
to their ‘Fireball’ name, apparently).

--
Andy H

Mark

Oct 19, 2021, 2:59:06 PM10/19/21
On 2021-10-18 19:06:54 +0000, Amanda Ripanykhazova
Are you seeing very high CPU use by kernel_task?
--
Cheers ... Mark

Amanda Ripanykhazova

Oct 19, 2021, 3:17:03 PM10/19/21

> Are you seeing very high CPU use by kernel_task?
> --
> Cheers ... Mark

I dont think so but I cant attest to whether this is the case or not when the unit crashes

Dustin who does stuff with miceless computers

Oct 19, 2021, 3:27:22 PM10/19/21
Thanks to Theo and his 'followers' you now need an IP filtering system
(which I programmed for ClamXav and slrn). Trust me, by and large I recently
stopped giving him tons of attention. If others start trolling him again
I will, too... as I said. I'm referring to advocates here, not drive
by loons, who have been responding to him all along.

Theo insists that he uses macOS, while actually he never used it on
bare metal and faithfully tried it.

Can you get less dishonest? And in response you have nothing but a crack
to start more flooding.

Theo shows that all of them are not automated because some of them are
keyed in to posts that occur in very specific ways that underscore they
are a response. IOW, while some could be automated others are definitely
not.

--
What Every Entrepreneur Must Know!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dustin+cook+the+functionally+illiterate+fraud