Re: Fwd: Never-before-seen malware has infected hundreds of Linux and Windows devices

David Brooks

Sep 30, 2022, 4:01:00 PM9/30/22
On 30/09/2022 20:29, Snit wrote:
> On Sep 30, 2022 at 9:40:14 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
> <OZEZK.549763$wkZ5....@fx11.ams1>:

>>> That's passive aggressive! You're playing a game! ;)
>>
>> Absolutely not. I have read hundreds of HO's Blog articles.
>
> Not sure where that could even be seen as such.

I didn't quite understand where he was coming from with that.

No matter. I want to show him (SC) that I am not his enemy.

>>> And is HO correct (based on what's in the articles)?
>>
>> I do not know. I *WANT* him to be genuine but I have absolutely no way
>> of checking if what he puts onto my iMac (via his self-built tools) will
>> harm my machine or enable others to use it as part of a Botnet.
>
> You have no real way with ANY app. Even open source ones -- if you do not read
> code how would you know? And code is big and complex enough there can still be
> hidden things.

How? By getting a warning from my operating system!
https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

Why do you accept HO's 'excuse' - instead of believing Apple?

You don't think of the worst case scenario - that he could be a bad guy
who made a mistake, quickly corrected so as to fool the likes of you! ;-)

If you wished, you could raise a question in one of his Blog's
'Comments' areas and see what he says! But you won't, will you?

I cannot do so because he recently said to me .... "Please do not send
me any further emails, or attempt to communicate with me in any way.

All your future attempts to post comments on my blog will now be
automatically deleted, without being read."

[....]
--
David

Snit

Sep 30, 2022, 5:38:57 PM9/30/22
On Sep 30, 2022 at 1:00:57 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<ZVHZK.760345$f0c6....@fx10.ams1>:

>>> Absolutely not. I have read hundreds of HO's Blog articles.
>>
>> Not sure where that could even be seen as such.
>
> I didn't quite understand where he was coming from with that.
>
> No matter. I want to show him (SC) that I am not his enemy.

I wish you luck with that.

>>> I do not know. I *WANT* him to be genuine but I have absolutely no way
>>> of checking if what he puts onto my iMac (via his self-built tools) will
>>> harm my machine or enable others to use it as part of a Botnet.
>>
>> You have no real way with ANY app. Even open source ones -- if you do not read
>> code how would you know? And code is big and complex enough there can still be
>> hidden things.
>
> How? By getting a warning from my operating system!
> https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

Did it do so when you downloaded a new copy? Did it from the Applications
folder?

> Why do you accept HO's 'excuse' - instead of believing Apple?

Not sure what you mean by this.

> You don't think of the worst case scenario - that he could be a bad guy
> who made a mistake, quickly corrected so as to fool the likes of you! ;-)

No, I do not even consider that as a likely scenario. If it was then others
would not be able to use the software.

> If you wished, you could raise a question in one of his Blog's
> 'Comments' areas and see what he says! But you won't, will you?

Why would I? I do not see much of a mystery here.

> I cannot do so because he recently said to me .... "Please do not send
> me any further emails, or attempt to communicate with me in any way.
>
> All your future attempts to post comments on my blog will now be
> automatically deleted, without being read."

You have been suggesting he is some sort of bad guy based on... what is likely
a faulty download? And then he helped direct you how to fix it. I can see
where he might not be pleased with that.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

David Brooks

Sep 30, 2022, 6:02:59 PM9/30/22
On 30/09/2022 22:38, Snit wrote:

>>> Not sure where that could even be seen as such.
>>
>> I didn't quite understand where he was coming from with that.
>>
>> No matter. I want to show him (SC) that I am not his enemy.
>
> I wish you luck with that.

Thank you! :-)

>>> You have no real way with ANY app. Even open source ones -- if you do not read
>>> code how would you know? And code is big and complex enough there can still be
>>> hidden things.
>>
>> How? By getting a warning from my operating system!
>> https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM
>
> Did it do so when you downloaded a new copy? Did it from the Applications
> folder?

No to both. BUT ..... it should.t have triggered a warning in the first
place.

You've seen the warning:- https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

>> You don't think of the worst case scenario - that he could be a bad guy
>> who made a mistake, quickly corrected so as to fool the likes of you! ;-)
>
> No, I do not even consider that as a likely scenario. If it was then others
> would not be able to use the software.

Once installed the software WILL be working for others.

Indeed, you have it yourself and have tried it - haven't you?

>> If you wished, you could raise a question in one of his Blog's
>> 'Comments' areas and see what he says! But you won't, will you?
>
> Why would I? I do not see much of a mystery here.

To challenge why the software produced this warning:-
https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

>> I cannot do so because he recently said to me .... "Please do not send
>> me any further emails, or attempt to communicate with me in any way.
>>
>> All your future attempts to post comments on my blog will now be
>> automatically deleted, without being read."
>
> You have been suggesting he is some sort of bad guy based on... what is likely
> a faulty download? And then he helped direct you how to fix it. I can see
> where he might not be pleased with that.

Or he swiftly covered his tracks!

Snit

Oct 1, 2022, 12:00:12 AM10/1/22
David Brooks <Dav...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> On 30/09/2022 22:38, Snit wrote:

>>> I didn't quite understand where he was coming from with that.
>>>
>>> No matter. I want to show him (SC) that I am not his enemy.
>>
>> I wish you luck with that.
>
> Thank you! :-)

You are welcome.

>>> How? By getting a warning from my operating system!
>>> https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM
>>
>> Did it do so when you downloaded a new copy? Did it from the Applications
>> folder?
>
> No to both. BUT ..... it should.t have triggered a warning in the first
> place.

If it was corrupted it’s good it did not run.

>>> Why do you accept HO's 'excuse' - instead of believing Apple?
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by this.
>
> You've seen the warning:- https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

Repeatedly. But still don’t follow. What does Apple say about a corrupted
app that shows that? And what error did you get as you tried to run it?
Maybe it was a GateKeeper glitch.

>>> You don't think of the worst case scenario - that he could be a bad guy
>>> who made a mistake, quickly corrected so as to fool the likes of you! ;-)
>>
>> No, I do not even consider that as a likely scenario. If it was then others
>> would not be able to use the software.
>
> Once installed the software WILL be working for others.

Software should work. Sure. But not give that error.

> Indeed, you have it yourself and have tried it - haven't you?

Yes. With no concern.

>>> If you wished, you could raise a question in one of his Blog's
>>> 'Comments' areas and see what he says! But you won't, will you?
>>
>> Why would I? I do not see much of a mystery here.
>
> To challenge why the software produced this warning:-
> https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

You already asked and shared his response. What value would there be to ask
again? What is the issue here? I’m not seeing it.

>>> I cannot do so because he recently said to me .... "Please do not send
>>> me any further emails, or attempt to communicate with me in any way.
>>>
>>> All your future attempts to post comments on my blog will now be
>>> automatically deleted, without being read."
>>
>> You have been suggesting he is some sort of bad guy based on... what is likely
>> a faulty download? And then he helped direct you how to fix it. I can see
>> where he might not be pleased with that.
>
> Or he swiftly covered his tracks!

Huh? From what? I’m not following this.

David Brooks

Oct 1, 2022, 3:02:39 AM10/1/22
May I suggest that you read here?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web

I've shown you the protection in action.

Why do you doubt the macOS built by Apple itself?

Odd.

--
David

Snit

Oct 1, 2022, 3:14:09 AM10/1/22
On Oct 1, 2022 at 12:02:36 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<gCRZK.259545$YVsf....@fx01.ams1>:

>>> Or he swiftly covered his tracks!
>>
>> Huh? From what? I’m not following this.
>
> May I suggest that you read here?
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web

If malware is found:

Any associated Developer ID certificates are revoked.

That has not happened. Good. We can rest easy that there is no evidence of
malware with the product.

> I've shown you the protection in action.
>
> Why do you doubt the macOS built by Apple itself?
>
> Odd.

Again: it can happen from a corrupted download. If you download it again it
will be fine.

David Brooks

Oct 1, 2022, 4:31:20 PM10/1/22
On 01/10/2022 08:14, Snit wrote:

>>> Huh? From what? I’m not following this.
>>
>> May I suggest that you read here?
>>
>> https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web
>
> If malware is found:
>
> Any associated Developer ID certificates are revoked.
>
> That has not happened. Good. We can rest easy that there is no evidence of
> malware with the product.
>
>> I've shown you the protection in action.
>>
>> Why do you doubt the macOS built by Apple itself?
>>
>> Odd.
>
> Again: it can happen from a corrupted download. If you download it again it
> will be fine.

<Shakes head>

What can possibly have happened to the response I wrote to you about
this matter this morning?

Did you see it and read it, Snit?

Did anyone else see my response? *CAN* anyone see the response I wrote
to Snit this morning?

Hmmm.

FromTheRafters

Oct 1, 2022, 4:52:06 PM10/1/22
David Brooks formulated on Saturday :
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 08:02:36 +0100

I see that, and his response at

Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 07:14:06 GMT

David Brooks

Oct 1, 2022, 5:07:12 PM10/1/22
Hey! Rafters - thanks so much for responding. ⭐️ It is much appreciated.

Methinks there are Gremlins! I replied to Snit after his 0714 p0st - but
my post appears to have been removed from the Usenet servers.
Now who could control such action?!!

Snit

Oct 1, 2022, 6:28:07 PM10/1/22
On Oct 1, 2022 at 1:31:17 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<ps1_K.662143$qD%2.14...@fx08.ams1>:
What post?

David Brooks

Oct 1, 2022, 6:43:38 PM10/1/22
The one which has gone missing!!!!

When I questioned HOW you know that the ID
certificate has not been revoked.

Snit

Oct 2, 2022, 1:56:27 AM10/2/22
On Oct 1, 2022 at 3:43:36 PM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<so3_K.192646$GzSf....@fx04.ams1>:
Just ran the command again.

Identifier=co.eclecticlight.Mints
Format=app bundle with Mach-O universal (x86_64 arm64)
CodeDirectory v=20500 size=3138 flags=0x10000(runtime) hashes=87+7
location=embedded
VersionPlatform=1
VersionMin=720896
VersionSDK=787200
Hash type=sha256 size=32
CandidateCDHash sha256=fca0396a659854c388d954a9348f63e283a60560
CandidateCDHashFull
sha256=fca0396a659854c388d954a9348f63e283a60560c302ff59665f2a46b99a8d26
Hash choices=sha256
CMSDigest=fca0396a659854c388d954a9348f63e283a60560c302ff59665f2a46b99a8d26
CMSDigestType=2
Executable Segment base=0
Executable Segment limit=245760
Executable Segment flags=0x1
Page size=4096
CDHash=fca0396a659854c388d954a9348f63e283a60560
Signature size=8975
Authority=Developer ID Application: Howard Oakley (QWY4LRW926)
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Timestamp=Aug 31, 2022 at 10:15:01 AM
Info.plist entries=25
TeamIdentifier=QWY4LRW926
Runtime Version=12.3.0
Sealed Resources version=2 rules=13 files=60
Internal requirements count=1 size=216

Also used this:

pkgutil --check-signature [path]/Mints.app

Package "Mints":
Certificate Chain:
1. Developer ID Application: Howard Oakley (QWY4LRW926)
Expires: 2027-02-01 22:12:15 +0000
SHA256 Fingerprint:
A1 F8 87 B8 D9 8E 77 21 49 EF 12 DE C5 EF D8 54 8B 7E 9F A5 FD 71
3D C1 DE CD 4E BF 7A 97 BE DA

2. Developer ID Certification Authority
Expires: 2027-02-01 22:12:15 +0000
SHA256 Fingerprint:
7A FC 9D 01 A6 2F 03 A2 DE 96 37 93 6D 4A FE 68 09 0D 2D E1 8D 03
F2 9C 88 CF B0 B1 BA 63 58 7F

3. Apple Root CA
Expires: 2035-02-09 21:40:36 +0000
SHA256 Fingerprint:
B0 B1 73 0E CB C7 FF 45 05 14 2C 49 F1 29 5E 6E DA 6B CA ED 7E 2C
68 C5 BE 91 B5 A1 10 01 F0 24

You can do these with downloading it and never running it.

David Brooks

Oct 2, 2022, 11:01:59 AM10/2/22
Hello again, Snit

In the post which "went missing" I asked about HOW you had checked on
the authenticity of HO, the maker of the 'Mints.app'.

What you have provided above seems pretty authoratitive.

I tried it again earlier today. I downloaded Mints and installed the zip
file into my Applications folder BEFORE I unzipped it. When I did unzip
it, it was available instantaneously. *WOW*!

That, though, does NOT indicate that it contains nothing malicious.

I am STILL bothered by having seen this warning. https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

Whilst I appreciate That you are a graduate in computing matters, I
can't help feeling that if installed software carries malware, it would
be capable of disrupting your check using Terminal - giving false results.

No doubt you, or someone else, will explain why I am wrong about that!

--
Kind regards,
David

Snit

Oct 2, 2022, 12:14:20 PM10/2/22
On Oct 2, 2022 at 8:01:56 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
<EJh_K.662149$qD%2.7...@fx08.ams1>:
Thank you.

> I tried it again earlier today. I downloaded Mints and installed the zip
> file into my Applications folder BEFORE I unzipped it.

Why?

> When I did unzip
> it, it was available instantaneously. *WOW*!
>
> That, though, does NOT indicate that it contains nothing malicious.

I do not follow this. What would indicate that about ANY app?

> I am STILL bothered by having seen this warning. https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM

Why?

> Whilst I appreciate That you are a graduate in computing matters, I
> can't help feeling that if installed software carries malware, it would
> be capable of disrupting your check using Terminal - giving false results.
>
> No doubt you, or someone else, will explain why I am wrong about that!

It is very unlikely that the CLI apps could be corrupted without asking for
admin permission.

What software do you trust?

David Brooks

Oct 2, 2022, 2:15:03 PM10/2/22
On 02/10/2022 18:30, Steve Carroll wrote:
> ran the command again>>>>> <Shakes head>
> It actually doesn't speak to HO's authenticity, it speaks to the app he
> ran the command on ("again" - so did you really need to ask this
> question? - I draw this distinction because of what you're doing
> (pre-sliming HO). I've tried to explain it to you and failed,
> apparently. I suggest you read the Apple links I previously provided as
> to why this is the case.
>
>> I tried it again earlier today. I downloaded Mints and installed the zip
>> file into my Applications folder BEFORE I unzipped it. When I did unzip
>> it, it was available instantaneously. *WOW*!
>
> ?? Some days back you indicated that you did this and things worked, so
> why the "*WOW*!" here?.
>
>> That, though, does NOT indicate that it contains nothing malicious.
>
> That's true.
>
>> I am STILL bothered by having seen this warning. https://imgbb.com/X2kyxCM
>
> Given that it was a 'one-off', I wouldn't worry about it.
>
>> Whilst I appreciate That you are a graduate in computing matters, I
>> can't help feeling that if installed software carries malware, it would
>> be capable of disrupting your check using Terminal - giving false results.
>>
>> No doubt you, or someone else, will explain why I am wrong about that!
>
> Again, I would refer you to the Apple links I gave you, they will
> explain why the likelihood of that isn't very high.

But possible?

> The following is not an OLAS...
>
> man spctl
>
> Using certain flags and checking for certain types of 'a' (assessment),
> for example, "install", you can check if an app has been notarized. In
> part of the output from the command you'll see:
>

> "source=Unnotarized Developer ID"
>
> or
>
> "source=Notarized Developer ID"
>
> So YOU should be adding this to your file that contains the codesign
> command, you know, the file you haven't yet created so you don't have to
> keep asking the same questions over and over ;)

Please will you remind me to come back to this?

TIA

Kelly Phillips

Oct 2, 2022, 9:55:38 PM10/2/22
>Hey! Rafters - thanks so much for responding. ?? It is much appreciated.
>
>Methinks there are Gremlins! I replied to Snit after his 0714 p0st - but
>my post appears to have been removed from the Usenet servers.
>Now who could control such action?!!

Wow. Mental illness takes many forms.

Kelly Phillips

Oct 2, 2022, 10:28:02 PM10/2/22
On Sun, 2 Oct 2022 19:15:01 +0100, David Brooks <B...@not.on.your.life>
wrote:
As an adult, you really should be able to create your own reminders. Are
you unable, or perhaps unwilling, to do that?

Kelly Phillips

Oct 3, 2022, 11:01:16 PM10/3/22
On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 21:00:57 +0100, David Brooks
<Dav...@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On 30/09/2022 20:29, Snit wrote:
>> On Sep 30, 2022 at 9:40:14 AM MST, "David Brooks" wrote
>> <OZEZK.549763$wkZ5....@fx11.ams1>:

That is f'ing awesome! Just totally epic. I love it and I'm beyond
pleased that you shared this smackdown. The poor guy went from hero
status to 'get the f away from me' in record time. I'm sorry but I'm
enjoying that very much. :-)