iOS share by email only offers iCloud account

Bruce Horrocks

Sep 12, 2021, 1:18:15 PMSep 12
In the latest iOS and iPadOS the share via email option (e.g. sharing a
web page from Safari) creates a new email but the 'from' address choices
are limited to the icloud.com and me.com accounts even though Mail is
configured with another non-iCloud email account which works fine in the
mail app.

Is this something wrong with my configuration or do you all see the same
limitation?

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Mark

Sep 12, 2021, 4:13:09 PMSep 12
On 2021-09-12 17:43:20 +0000, Alan B
<alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> said:
> Running the latest here also but I’m able to select any of my configured
> accounts in mail, so maybe it’s something odd in your config?

Tapping the pre-filled "From:" field (that shows my usual Gmail
address) it gives me a pop-up to let me choose my iCloud.com, me.com
and the two other Gmail addresses I have set up in Mail.
--
Cheers ... Mark

Bruce Horrocks

Sep 12, 2021, 6:08:20 PMSep 12
Thanks, I don't get that so it must be something at my end. Nothing
unusual with the other accounts (std IMAP + SMTP) other than that I
added them using a provisioning profile

Mark

Sep 12, 2021, 6:44:35 PMSep 12
To be honest, I have a mix of POP and IMAP. While it's easy enough on
desktop to find out which account is which (I *think* only iCloud is
IMAP), I'm not so sure on mobile... I find email to still be very
confusing in regards to settings etc. Seems to be one of the few things
Apple haven't 'simplified' enough!
--
Cheers ... Mark

nospam

Sep 12, 2021, 6:47:29 PMSep 12
In article <shlvsd$1i67$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Mark
<captai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To be honest, I have a mix of POP and IMAP.

don't do that. you're not just asking for problems, but begging for it.

Graham J

Sep 13, 2021, 3:21:59 AMSep 13
Nonsense. There may be perfectly good reasons for using both.

IMAP - use where you want a consistent view of emails across more than
one client device, and the mail server has sufficient storage.

POP - use ONLY where you want to receive emails on just one client
device; those emails are ephemeral or you are very diligent about their
backup from your client, or the mail server has very limited capacity.

An example might be the "free" email account associated with an ISP:
they probably use it to send their bills to you, and their storage might
be quite limited. They might also not offer IMAP.

But clearly, if you don't understand this then stick with IMAP and learn
how your ISP deals with an ever-filling mailbox. No amount of storage
is sufficient for some users - the ones that never delete or archive any
emails (which is virtually everybody I've ever met).

--
Graham J

nospam

Sep 13, 2021, 9:13:43 AMSep 13
In article <shmu6l$bit$1...@dont-email.me>, Graham J
<nob...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> >> To be honest, I have a mix of POP and IMAP.
> >
> > don't do that. you're not just asking for problems, but begging for it.
>

> Nonsense. There may be perfectly good reasons for using both.

nonsense right back. pop is obsolete. there is no reason to use pop
anymore, certainly not both.

> IMAP - use where you want a consistent view of emails across more than
> one client device, and the mail server has sufficient storage.

that's only partly correct.

> POP - use ONLY where you want to receive emails on just one client
> device; those emails are ephemeral or you are very diligent about their
> backup from your client, or the mail server has very limited capacity.

that's false. all of that can be done with imap, which is why your
perception of imap is only partly correct.

> An example might be the "free" email account associated with an ISP:
> they probably use it to send their bills to you, and their storage might
> be quite limited. They might also not offer IMAP.

you mean, they might not offer pop anymore and *only* offer imap.

not only that, but many email apps do not support pop anymore either.

> But clearly, if you don't understand this then stick with IMAP and learn
> how your ISP deals with an ever-filling mailbox. No amount of storage
> is sufficient for some users - the ones that never delete or archive any
> emails (which is virtually everybody I've ever met).

you clearly don't understand imap.

first of all, it takes a *lot* of email to fill what an isp offers. for
example, gmail *starts* at 15 gb, with higher amounts available for
paid plans.

second, just about everyone has more than one device, which means at
best, pop will be a significant hassle, but more likely, will not work
properly and mail will be lost.

third, everything pop can do can be done with imap, plus a lot more,
including local storage if someone prefers that.

pop is obsolete.

Bruce Horrocks

Sep 13, 2021, 1:34:36 PMSep 13
So it was the provisioning profile - there's an option against the email
account named "Use only in Mail".

Setting that prevents the share sheet from offering the account as the
email transport when sharing via email. Clearing that flags enables the
account.

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 14, 2021, 12:00:38 PMSep 14
On 13 Sep 2021 at 18:34:33 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07....@scorecrow.com>
wrote:
Well found!

With an iCloud account and 'email' ticked the mail accounts info will be
distributed to any of your devices, so I wonder if you have some
exciting reason to be using a provisioning profile? Or is it just a work
thing?

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Politicians are not born, they are excreted
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Steven Carrolll

Sep 14, 2021, 12:26:36 PMSep 14
William 'The Flooder' Poaster continues to tap dance around the harassment
accusation he wrote about me, even though Troll Killer Snit verified
that he lied about it. Nobody gets it, I am the one who figured it out.
William 'The Flooder' Poaster is the only person I know who had a 'page'
intended to embarrass me that quickly turned into a mostly empty page
with placeholders where pics/scripts used to be, and if you clicked it,
you would be reading about a old post that was removed for copyright
infringement. Obviously, since they can call William 'The Flooder' Poaster
out (and did), he's lied; otherwise everyone else must be lying be about
him, and I don't think William 'The Flooder' Poaster's willing to say
it is group attack of himself and demand that's a conspiracy. BTW, I've
already proved that his use of "cult-like" to describe Troll Killer Snit
is defamation of character, since he's likening them to migratory fowl.

iOS runs on the ChromeOS kernel. So yeah, ChromeOS is mobile. ChromeOS
is a super computer. ChromeOS is a server. ChromeOS is a desktop. ChromeOS
is growing in market share.

-
Get Rich Slow
<https://youtu.be/xRvaRLlb3b8>
Dustin Cook is a functionally illiterate fraud

Stefen Carroll

Sep 14, 2021, 1:45:12 PMSep 14
Just give it up already. Steven Petruzzellis is again trying to pretend
he is something he is not. He's the dim bulb and his many brainless tasks
show this. The cult-like herd of convenient friends value conformity
more than they do productivity.

Given how repeatedly it is clear that Steven Petruzzellis's .sig file
is some misquote of a remark Adriana Ayaquica posted which had been a
drubbing on Steven Petruzzellis for something he did which was crazy/false/etc...
its undoubtedly a daily reminder of Steven Petruzzellis's continuing
butthurt for having been so regularly crushed.

For all the big talk Steven Petruzzellis has done on this topic, the
'Growth Hacker' does not know how to do this. It seriously takes a couple
seconds to click and drag across text and 'orient' it.

I want Steven Petruzzellis to support his doxing accusation. Let's see
the quotes Steven Petruzzellis. When I accused Steven Petruzzellis of
trolling as Adriana Ayaquica I actually supported it with evidence.

--
Get Rich Slow!
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22FUNCTIONAL+ILLITERATE+FRAUD%22

Bruce Horrocks

Sep 14, 2021, 4:59:01 PMSep 14
On 14/09/2021 17:00, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 13 Sep 2021 at 18:34:33 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07....@scorecrow.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/09/2021 23:08, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, I don't get that so it must be something at my end. Nothing
>>> unusual with the other accounts (std IMAP + SMTP) other than that I
>>> added them using a provisioning profile
>>
>> So it was the provisioning profile - there's an option against the email
>> account named "Use only in Mail".
>>
>> Setting that prevents the share sheet from offering the account as the
>> email transport when sharing via email. Clearing that flags enables the
>> account.
>
> Well found!
>
> With an iCloud account and 'email' ticked the mail accounts info will be
> distributed to any of your devices, so I wonder if you have some
> exciting reason to be using a provisioning profile? Or is it just a work
> thing?

It's much more boring that that! I recently signed-up with another email
provider after a bit of a screw-up by the previous one. Entering the
very long and very random account password on the Mac with a proper
keyboard was bad enough, so the thought of doing the same on the iPhone,
the iPad, and an old but still working 'backup' iPhone, using small and
fiddly on-screen keyboards didn't appeal.

So I downloaded "iMazing Profile Editor" and used it to create an email
profile file which I Airdrop to each device. The new profile shows up in
System Preferences so just tap to install, answer 'yes' a few times and
bingo it's done.

Using it is simple and specifying multiple email accounts is trivial -
either in one profile file or in separate profile files if you don't
want every account on every device.

Another benefit is that password hygiene is now easier: frequent changes
using strong passwords are now trivial.

Steve - fretwizzen

Sep 14, 2021, 7:34:29 PMSep 14
These posts are clearly not automated, they are made by an overmedicated
pervert with a personal vendetta who has way too much time on his hands.

Another pint you mean, Snot / Snit drinks them down damned quick. For
all the big talk Snot / Snit has done on this topic, the 'IT Master'
does not understand how to do this. It literally takes a couple seconds
to click and drag across a selection and 'reverse' it.

When I was new here, I wanted to be trusting and open minded. I gave
Snot / Snit more than an intelligent person should.

He'd have to be suffering from mental illness to be unsure of whether
or not he "never had" developed JavaScript. Gee, who could it be? When
a guy can not be consistent with his story and makes use of make-believe,
self-esteem protecting nonsense later, it's mighty apparent what his
error is.

--
I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened
https://swisscows.com/web?query=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 14, 2021, 10:14:58 PMSep 14
On 14 Sep 2021 at 21:58:57 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07....@scorecrow.com>
Aha. Well, as mentioned above you could have just distributed it via
iCloud - all the "internet accounts" are available to all devices logged
into your account.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Sun 4/60

Bruce Horrocks

Sep 15, 2021, 1:15:11 PMSep 15
On 15/09/2021 03:14, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> Aha. Well, as mentioned above you could have just distributed it via
> iCloud - all the "internet accounts" are available to all devices logged
> into your account.

I couldn't get that to work: the basic account would get replicated,
iirc, but the choice of SMTP server wouldn't. And some other settings as
well - IMAP path maybe?

Part of the problem may have been that the iPad had reached its upgrade
limit and was on an older version of iOS.

~BD~

Sep 15, 2021, 3:50:16 PMSep 15
It's a long, long saga, and ~BD~ is simultaneously unable to stop his trolling
remarks, while posting with forgeries of Troll Killer Snit. Like most in
this group, ~BD~ relies on false news to contrive his beliefs on current
events. So, he only thinks of and accepts the authenticated reports which
also are the ones which represent communists in a acutely approving and
moral view. Some time ago I did work on and showed some AppleScript for
the front end which is the only thing you can do when trying to avoid ~BD~'s
narcissistic crap while reading with Google Groups.

~BD~ is the only person I know who had a 'page' intended to hound me that
quickly turned into a dizzying array of lorem ipsum text with rectangles
where jpgs/video used to be, and if you clicked it, you would be reading
about a old post that was expunged for all time. He pisses off an entire
group of people who have nothing to do with anything, but that's a stuck
up jerk for you. What you and I care about isn't a factor.

--
One Smart Penny
<https://www.spokeo.com/Dustin-Cook/Tennessee/Kingsport/p40064865906>

Steve Carroll

Sep 16, 2021, 5:11:31 AMSep 16
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 7:14:58 PM UTC-7, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
Too much glue for you, gluey. I'm not going to play like Snit didn't help
me with scripting and I appreciate his knowledge. Snit buddy chrisv has
Snit to examine and could start to seem like he has a clue from now on...
as always he stumbled when he brought it up. I'm not angry, in fact I am
enjoying watching because Snit buddy chrisv's nonsense is so clear. He
purposefully didn't speak of all the tasks that he would later dismiss...
and we all know why, Snit buddy chrisv is such a moron. At least he has
other trolls in his corner.

Snit buddy chrisv just has a ton of completely unsubstantiated allegations
and he knows it, so his MO is to repeat his bullshit with flood bots and
engage 'people' (who are either socks or shills) to 'support' that lies
to disorient his audience.

Any dreadfully obsessive druggie could easily do the same.

-
Do not click this link!
https://gibiru.com/results.html?q=%22functional%20illiterate%20fraud%22
https://www.asanet.org/sites/default/files/1975_annual_meeting_program.pdf
Dustin Cook: Functionally Illiterate Fraud

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 16, 2021, 8:10:58 AMSep 16
On 15 Sep 2021 at 18:15:07 BST, "Bruce Horrocks" <07....@scorecrow.com>
wrote:
Maybe. I've not looked into it as it all Just Worked for me across the
two Macs and the two iThings, never needed to delve into the innards.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If C gives you enough rope to hang yourself, then C++
gives you enough rope to bind and gag your