iPhones & Whatsapp support

jeremy

Sep 7, 2021, 5:06:40 AM9/7/21
Sorry to break the flow of sewage that has washed up *again* in this group,
but I saw a report last night that Whatsapp and iPhone SE (+ another 42
handset models from various manufacturers) will no longer be friends from
some time in November.

Bit of a bugger really as so many family & friends groups (well OK our
entire social life :) ) is run on Whatsapp on my wife's SE (which I thought
was only a couple of years old).

To my simple mind the soloution is to arrange a new phone (or become
hermits). Anyone else facing this dilemma?

--
jeremy

Don

Sep 7, 2021, 7:14:00 AM9/7/21
Here's a reference:-
https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/04/whatsapp-which-phones-will-the-app-stop-working-on-from-november-2021-15205550/

I suspect that it's just the ORIGINAL Apple SE which is effected.

jeremy

Sep 7, 2021, 7:38:56 AM9/7/21
In article <sh7hhk$5uu$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, D...@AIOE.invalid says...
Hmmm one could hope that's the case - though that article also lists the 6s
(and I thought the newer SE was based on 6s internals)... so perhaps not
the get of jail card I was hoping for?

Is it actually a case of requiring a minimum iOS version as opposed to the
specific hardware?

--
jeremy

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 7, 2021, 7:54:40 AM9/7/21
The original SE is based on the 6s. The current one is based on the 11.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I think man is the most interesting insect on earth, don't you?"
-- Marvin the Martian

nospam

Sep 7, 2021, 7:56:36 AM9/7/21
In article <MPG.3ba15facb...@news.individual.net>, jeremy
<jerem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Here's a reference:-
> >
> > https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/04/whatsapp-which-phones-will-the-app-stop-worki
> > ng-on-from-november-2021-15205550/
> >
> > I suspect that it's just the ORIGINAL Apple SE which is effected.
>
> Hmmm one could hope that's the case - though that article also lists the 6s
> (and I thought the newer SE was based on 6s internals)... so perhaps not
> the get of jail card I was hoping for?
>
> Is it actually a case of requiring a minimum iOS version as opposed to the
> specific hardware?

something does not add up.

from the above link,
WhatsApp will stop working on phones that run on anything older than
Android OS 4.1, Apple零 iOS 10 and KaiOS 2.5.1 in November, according
to its FAQ section.

which links to whatsapp's own faq:
<https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/download-and-installation/about-suppor
ted-operating-systems/>
We provide support for and recommend using the following devices:

Android running OS 4.1 and newer
iPhone running iOS 10 and newer
Select phones running KaiOS 2.5.1 newer, including JioPhone
and JioPhone 2

ios 10 is *old*.

the 6s and original se can both run ios 15, expected to be released in
a week or two. the iphone 6 can run ios 12. both are newer than ios 10,
listed in their faq.

jeremy

Sep 7, 2021, 8:22:20 AM9/7/21
In article <ipp27u...@mid.individual.net>, jai...@usually.sessile.org
says...
> The original SE is based on the 6s. The current one is based on the 11.

Oh then I suspect it's an "original" SE that we have (I suspect I was
thinking about the old 5c (or I may have invented that label too!))

How would I tell for sure which generation the SE is?

I think it'll turn out to be a case of "wait and see" what happens in
November.

--
jeremy

nospam

Sep 7, 2021, 8:24:40 AM9/7/21
In article <MPG.3ba169d9e...@news.individual.net>, jeremy
<jerem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How would I tell for sure which generation the SE is?

it's the size of a 5/5s versus a 6/6s/7/8

> I think it'll turn out to be a case of "wait and see" what happens in
> November.

yep

Chris

Sep 7, 2021, 11:08:59 AM9/7/21
This makes no sense. The original SE is still supported by Apple and
will run iOS 15. There's absolutely no reason for WhatsApp to not
support that model.

I suspect the Metro can't differentiate between what version of iOS
phones *came with* versus which version of iOS they can *currently* run.

Jeremy - or at least his wife - has nothing to worry about.

Theo

Sep 7, 2021, 11:46:08 AM9/7/21
Chris <ithi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This makes no sense. The original SE is still supported by Apple and
> will run iOS 15. There's absolutely no reason for WhatsApp to not
> support that model.
>
> I suspect the Metro can't differentiate between what version of iOS
> phones *came with* versus which version of iOS they can *currently* run.

So it seems it should be saying it's curtains for the 4S (iOS 9) and
earlier. The 4S being 10 years old at this point. Interestingly the 5 and
5C are supported, meaning they're still producing a 32 bit build.

Theo

jeremy

Sep 7, 2021, 11:56:45 AM9/7/21
In article <070920210824382906%nos...@nospam.invalid>,
nos...@nospam.invalid says...
OK it's running iOS 14.7.1 and seems to be similar dimensions to my iPhone
11 Pro (it's marginally smaller).

I think i'll stop worrying now.

--
jeremy

Andy Hewitt

Sep 7, 2021, 12:06:58 PM9/7/21
Yes, exactly that, I have an iPhone 6s here, and didn’t want to end up
stuck without WhatsApp, and didn’t really want to have to buy a new phone.

I decided to get a refurbished one, so ended up with a ‘like new’ iPhone 8
from QwikFones. They seem to have some of the best reviews on Trusted, and
they had the best prices for a ‘like new’ standard.

It arrived today, and seems to be as described, and indeed looks ‘like
new’. It’s installing from my old phone at the moment, so will have to see
how it performs later.

FWIW, I spotted your other comments, the old iPhone SE looks like an iPhone
5s, but has the 6s internals (mostly). The new SE looks like an iPhone 8,
but has the internals of the 11 (mostly).

Whether these actually do fail to work for WhatsApp remains to be seen.
However, I found mine was struggling on battery life anyway (even though it
says it’s at 100%), probably not really up to operating on the newer iOS
versions.

--
Andy H

Martin S Taylor

Sep 7, 2021, 1:29:02 PM9/7/21
On Sep 7, 2021, Andy Hewitt wrote
(in article <sh82n0$auo$1...@dont-email.me>):

> FWIW, I spotted your other comments, the old iPhone SE looks like an iPhone
> 5s, but has the 6s internals (mostly). The new SE looks like an iPhone 8,
> but has the internals of the 11 (mostly).

And nospam still denies it was a stupid decision to give them the same name.

MST

nospam

Sep 7, 2021, 1:43:38 PM9/7/21
In article
<0001HW.26E7D8DD00...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

> > FWIW, I spotted your other comments, the old iPhone SE looks like an iPhone
> > 5s, but has the 6s internals (mostly). The new SE looks like an iPhone 8,
> > but has the internals of the 11 (mostly).
>
> And nospam still denies it was a stupid decision to give them the same name.

the difference between the two is quite obvious.

Martin S Taylor

Sep 8, 2021, 3:35:52 AM9/8/21
On Sep 7, 2021, nospam wrote
(in article<070920211343353267%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

> > And nospam still denies it was a stupid decision to give them the same name.
>
> the difference between the two is quite obvious.

I would have thought that was a good reason for giving them different names.
We don't think it's sensible to have the same word for 'cow' and 'hamster'
just because the difference between them is obvious.

MST

Michael Glasser

Sep 8, 2021, 5:57:42 AM9/8/21
It was Snit sock Sockboy who forged me (and others) and bragged about
it.

He makes false accusation to multiple groups of people who are like
the grass when elephants fight, but that's a conceited fool for you.
What Adriana Ayaquica and I care about isn't a factor. Just look at the
effort Adriana Ayaquica once again had to spend to get Snit sock Sockboy
able to pull messages from a website server via CLI. Adriana Ayaquica
once again, took abuse from Snit sock Sockboy, instead of a great thanks,
much appreciated, response - that I feel Adriana Ayaquica was owed for
the trouble and time he spent on the matter. Just hogwash from Snit sock
Sockboy. But Snit sock Sockboy has thoroughly left reason behind and
is holding me accountable for the words of himself.

--
This Trick Gets Women Hot For You!
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Dustin+Cook%3A+functional+illiterate+fraud

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 8, 2021, 7:02:30 AM9/8/21
On 8 Sep 2021 at 08:35:50 BST, "Martin S Taylor"
Apple gonna Apple though. I just part-exchanged an iPad3 for an iPad
Air, but it could have been an iPad for an iPad.

My recent iPhone12 box says "iPhone" on it. My older iPhone boxes
sometimes do too, if they have anything on. I think the iPhone 3G
specified itself as the 3G, but I no longer have that particular box or
phone.

The Apple Airpods that I bought to replace my Apple Airpods didn't
specify they're v2.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"People can be educated beyond their intelligence"
-- Marilyn vos Savant

Andy Hewitt

Sep 8, 2021, 12:51:23 PM9/8/21
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:
Haha, well yes, naming of products often causes confusion. I suppose they
could have gone with all sorts of options, perhaps just using iPhone 6SE
and iPhone 11SE might have been better (reflecting the base model).

If you really want to see confused naming, have a look at what Adobe have
done with Lightroom over the last few years. Now that really is a right old
mess.

--
Andy H

Calum

Sep 8, 2021, 7:34:19 PM9/8/21
On 07/09/2021 13:22, jeremy wrote:

> How would I tell for sure which generation the SE is?

2016 model has power button on the top, 2020 model has it on the right.

Settings > General > About will also show you the model name and number.

nospam

Sep 8, 2021, 7:57:32 PM9/8/21
In article <shbh9p$1lt6$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Calum
<com....@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:

> > How would I tell for sure which generation the SE is?
>
> 2016 model has power button on the top, 2020 model has it on the right.

even easier, the 2016 model looks like a 5/5s and the 2020 model looks
like a 6/6s/7/8

> Settings > General > About will also show you the model name and number.

that too.

nospam

Sep 8, 2021, 7:57:33 PM9/8/21
In article
<0001HW.26E89F5601...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Martin S Taylor <corresp...@mRaErMtOiVnEsTtHaIySlor.com> wrote:

> > > And nospam still denies it was a stupid decision to give them the same
> > > name.
> >
> > the difference between the two is quite obvious.
>
> I would have thought that was a good reason for giving them different names.

many products use one name for successive versions.

apple does it for almost all of their products.

vehicles have done it since forever. the chevrolet corvette has the
same name as it did in the 1950s, but it's had many versions over the
years. sometimes automakers reuse the same name for different vehicles.
the ford maverick was a passenger car in the 1970s, now it's a truck.

> We don't think it's sensible to have the same word for 'cow' and 'hamster'
> just because the difference between them is obvious.

that's not a good example.

there are many types of cows, each with their own type, but still
collectively called cows.

<https://nayturr.com/types-of-cows/>

Steve - fretwizzen

Sep 9, 2021, 12:54:46 AM9/9/21
Um -- in David's 'story', that a URL has been published is "confirmation"
that -hh designed it now?

I am working on a program which will show off how weak ChromeOS is.
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! David's accusation is misplaced up front,
and not valid second of all. Is -hh working on being just as much of
a crooked liar as David is already known as being? You likely think Mint
handles the desktop well. Nope. Not compared to the competition. Thanks
to David and his 'convenient friends' you now need an approved list.
If -hh and others start trolling him again I will feel compelled to...
as I've always stated I would. I am referring to our clique here, not
idiots, who think for themselves.

-
What Every Entrepreneur Must Know
https://swisscows.com/web?query=%22narcissistic%20bigot%22
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6sfkup/what_desktop_tasks_does_linux_handle_better_than
https://winthropmemorials.org/veterans/eightnames/files/Eight-Names-
Winthrops-VietnamVeterans-Pinzur.pdf
Steve 'Narcissistic Bigot' Petruzzellis

Chris

Sep 9, 2021, 7:13:09 AM9/9/21
On 09/09/2021 00:57, nospam wrote:
> In article <shbh9p$1lt6$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Calum
> <com....@nospam.scottishwildcat> wrote:
>

>>> How would I tell for sure which generation the SE is?
>>
>> 2016 model has power button on the top, 2020 model has it on the right.
>
> even easier, the 2016 model looks like a 5/5s and the 2020 model looks
> like a 6/6s/7/8

That assumes people know what a 5/5s looks like vs a 6/7/8. Callum's
suggestion is more of an absolute differentiator with no requirement for
additional knowledge.

David Kennedy

Sep 9, 2021, 7:34:03 AM9/9/21
On 07/09/2021 10:06, jeremy wrote:
Some of my relatives scattered around the globe have run into this problem
with a variety of phones and have changed over to Signal - also free and on
the app store. Seems okay so far, been using it for some messages since late
last year.

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com

David Kennedy

Sep 9, 2021, 7:37:23 AM9/9/21
But we do have the same word for iMac and iMac even though they are obviously
different...

Jaimie Vandenbergh

Sep 9, 2021, 12:17:55 PM9/9/21
On 8 Sep 2021 at 17:51:21 BST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewil...@icloud.com>
wrote:
Or the pigs ears Microsoft have made with Xboxes and Windowses.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++
makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away

jeremy

Sep 10, 2021, 6:30:29 AM9/10/21
In article <nOudnbmvr9G0bKT8...@brightview.co.uk>,
davidk...@nospamherethankyou.invalid says...
Worth bearing in mind, ta.

--
jeremy

Martin S Taylor

Sep 10, 2021, 6:53:37 AM9/10/21
On Sep 9, 2021, David Kennedy wrote
(in article<nOudnbmvr9G0bKT8...@brightview.co.uk>):

> Some of my relatives scattered around the globe have run into this problem
> with a variety of phones and have changed over to Signal - also free and on
> the app store. Seems okay so far, been using it for some messages since late
> last year.

With my magician's hat on I'm often asked to speak at conferences on computer
security. The guys there won't touch WhatsApp; they all use Signal or
iMessage.

(Though given Apple's recent attitude to security, I'm not sure how long
iMessage will stay on the approved list.)
MST

Stephen - frelwizen

Sep 10, 2021, 6:57:38 AM9/10/21
Is Snit jealous about Peeler having seven web pages warning people about
what he is, vs the single one he earned? But when the stats were run,
it turns out with absolute proof, Peeler was far more "dishonest" than
even I imagined.

Snit deceived Peeler some, big fscking deal. Peeler is being a howling
fuckhead about it? The 423.491.1448 number belongs to Dustin Cook. Use
that one when you seed search engines with Peeler's confirmed lies about
him.

-
Puppy Videos!
https://www.google.com/search?q=Dustin+Cook+the+functional+illiterate+fraud
<http://web.archive.org/web/20200911090505/https://www.usphonebook.com/dustin-
cook/UQjN2UTM5IzM1ADM0czNwMjMyYzR?Gremlin=&Diesel=>

Chris

Sep 10, 2021, 9:33:24 AM9/10/21
Also gets you away from Facebook and the updated Ts & Cs if that matters
to you.

HHI

Sep 10, 2021, 10:25:11 AM9/10/21
Why do you think Snit is trying to cover for David? Even he sees some
reality. He will not comment on ANY of the stuff I quote because he sees
it is real. Given how repeatedly it is clear that David's signature is
some twist of an observation Snit shared which had been a blow on David
for something he did which was foolish/dishonest/etc... its really a
daily reminder of David's continuing butthurt for having been so routinely
defeated. Well... like I said, Snit would never deny the flooder is David,
who is a demonstrable bash scripter but I don't know if it could be used
to automate this.

Asking David to apologize, a thing I didn't do, is distinct from showing
his dishonesty. My point was that good people stay here to take on bullies.
It isn't like most do not quickly figure out what this group is, Snit
especially. Gee, imagine David trying to pin his hot air on others, no
one has ever seen that before <sarcasm>.

I'm well aware the evidence I link to from Snit is merely dabbler level.
That said, it is good enough. On topic discussions will not be seen once
those of us here before the eternal September are outnumbered. That and
there will repeatedly be a mentally unstable element or two in an open
usenet group (e.g. David). The current crap aside, we have all seen who
uncontrollably blames others when he does not get his way.

--
I Left My Husband & Daughter At Home And THIS happened
Automate Google Groups https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYQ4Tg0r0g0&feature=youtu.be

Andy Hewitt

Sep 13, 2021, 4:32:34 PM9/13/21
On 13/09/2021 17:24, TimH wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2021 at 5:06:57 pm BST, "Andy Hewitt" <thewil...@icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, exactly that, I have an iPhone 6s here, and didn’t want to end up
>> stuck without WhatsApp, and didn’t really want to have to buy a new phone.
>>
>> I decided to get a refurbished one, so ended up with a ‘like new’ iPhone 8
>> from QwikFones. They seem to have some of the best reviews on Trusted, and
>> they had the best prices for a ‘like new’ standard.
>>
>> It arrived today, and seems to be as described, and indeed looks ‘like
>> new’. It’s installing from my old phone at the moment, so will have to see
>> how it performs later.
>
> Just curious to know if the phone has lived up to expectations? They certainly
> seem quite a bit cheaper than the competition.

Sorry, I meant to post an update.

Yes, very happy with it, the iPhone 8 I ordered indeed looks, and
functions 'like new', as advertised, and has a battery showing 100%
capacity, which is lasting very well throughout a usual day - ending up
at about 50-60% (the old iPhone 6S was needing to be recharged for any
kind of use in the evening).

I would certainly consider using them again.

--
Andy H