Demise of uk.comp.os.win2000 and uk.comp.os.win95

1 view

Charles Lindsey

Sep 20, 2005, 11:01:40 AM9/20/05
The group uk.comp.os.ms-windows was formed on March 15th 2005 as a
replacement for the two existing groups uk.comp.os.win2000 and
uk.comp.os.win95.

The time has now come (indeed has long passed, but it seems to have got
overlooked) to remove the old groups. I shall do this within the next
couple of days (no further notice will be given).

There appear to be no outstanding thread in either group (the last posts
of consequence were way back in August).

ANY REMAINING READERS OF THESE GROUPS should therefore subscribe to
uk.comp.os.ms-windows instead.

--
Charles H. Lindsey ------------------------------------------------------------
Deputy Control

John Burke

Sep 20, 2005, 1:32:07 PM9/20/05
Charles Lindsey wrote:

[...]

> ANY REMAINING READERS OF THESE GROUPS should therefore subscribe to
> uk.comp.os.ms-windows instead.

I can't find that group listed on News.Individual.net, what's the matter
here?

I thought that server would certainly carry it.

JB

Mike Tullett

Sep 20, 2005, 1:39:32 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:32:07 +0100, John Burke wrote in

>> ANY REMAINING READERS OF THESE GROUPS should therefore subscribe to
>> uk.comp.os.ms-windows instead.
>
> I can't find that group listed on News.Individual.net, what's the matter
> here?
>
> I thought that server would certainly carry it.

It certainly does carry it and I saw C. Lindsey's post in it first of all.

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13°N 6.69°W posted 20/09/2005 17:39:32 UTC

Thomas Lee

Sep 20, 2005, 1:36:25 PM9/20/05
In message <In4F2...@clerew.man.ac.uk>, Charles Lindsey
<con...@clerew.man.ac.uk> writes

>The group uk.comp.os.ms-windows was formed on March 15th 2005 as a
>replacement for the two existing groups uk.comp.os.win2000 and
>uk.comp.os.win95.
>
>The time has now come (indeed has long passed, but it seems to have got
>overlooked) to remove the old groups. I shall do this within the next
>couple of days (no further notice will be given).
>
>There appear to be no outstanding thread in either group (the last posts
>of consequence were way back in August).
>
>ANY REMAINING READERS OF THESE GROUPS should therefore subscribe to
>uk.comp.os.ms-windows instead.

It is with some nostalgia I say good bye to these groups.

Thomas

--
Thomas Lee
(t...@psp.co.uk)

Spartanicus

Sep 20, 2005, 2:05:23 PM9/20/05
"John Burke" <dac...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Don't worry, uk.comp.os.ms-windows is almost as empty as
uk.comp.os.win2000 and uk.comp.os.win95.

Ignore Charles Lindsey's "advice" not to use uk.comp.os.win2000 and
uk.comp.os.win95 anymore, they may not see much traffic, but they are
still being read.

--
Spartanicus

Mike Tullett

Sep 20, 2005, 2:15:36 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:05:23 GMT, Spartanicus wrote in

> Ignore Charles Lindsey's "advice" not to use uk.comp.os.win2000 and
> uk.comp.os.win95 anymore, they may not see much traffic, but they are
> still being read.

Even when they have been removed as newsgroups?

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13°N 6.69°W posted 20/09/2005 18:15:36 UTC

Owen Rees

Sep 20, 2005, 2:51:45 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:05:23 GMT, Spartanicus <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote in
<fkj0j1p8l6p9f3j33...@news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>:

>Ignore Charles Lindsey's "advice" not to use uk.comp.os.win2000 and
>uk.comp.os.win95 anymore, they may not see much traffic, but they are
>still being read.

That would be unwise.

Charles was posting in his role as Deputy Control for the uk.*
hierarchy.

It was a notice that the control messages instructing servers to remove
the groups are about to be issued. Some servers may fail to act on those
messages but many of those that matter most will remove the groups.

--
Owen Rees
[one of] my preferred email address[es] and more stuff can be

Tim Auton

Sep 20, 2005, 2:59:32 PM9/20/05

I suggest you read Charles Lindsey's sig carefully. It's slightly more
than "advice".

Tim
--
You are being watched. This gives you power.

Spartanicus

Sep 20, 2005, 3:14:41 PM9/20/05
Mike Tullett <mike.tullett1....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> Ignore Charles Lindsey's "advice" not to use uk.comp.os.win2000 and
>> uk.comp.os.win95 anymore, they may not see much traffic, but they are
>> still being read.
>
>Even when they have been removed as newsgroups?

In practice newsgroups cannot be removed, no news server admin in his
right mind would allow it.

--
Spartanicus

Mike Tullett

Sep 20, 2005, 3:27:20 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:14:41 GMT, Spartanicus wrote in

Wanna bet:-) ?

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13°N 6.69°W posted 20/09/2005 19:27:20 UTC

Spartanicus

Sep 20, 2005, 4:18:04 PM9/20/05
Mike Tullett <mike.tullett1....@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> In practice newsgroups cannot be removed, no news server admin in his
>> right mind would allow it.
>
>Wanna bet:-) ?

Good luck in getting it removed from my news uplink (NTL) :-)

Any prankster can post delete group control messages.

--
Spartanicus

Marcus Houlden

Sep 20, 2005, 4:37:00 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:32:07 +0100, John Burke <dac...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote the following to uk.comp.os.win95:

> Charles Lindsey wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> ANY REMAINING READERS OF THESE GROUPS should therefore subscribe to
>> uk.comp.os.ms-windows instead.
>
> I can't find that group listed on News.Individual.net, what's the matter
> here?

I'm using n.i.n and I've been using u.c.o.ms-w since day 1. Try refreshing
your groups list. IME this server *does* honour valid rmgroups, so the other
Windows groups will shortly cease to exist.

mh.
--
From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

"People are animals too."

Mike Tullett

Sep 20, 2005, 4:50:25 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:18:04 GMT, Spartanicus wrote in

>>> In practice newsgroups cannot be removed, no news server admin in his
>>> right mind would allow it.
>>
>>Wanna bet:-) ?
>
> Good luck in getting it removed from my news uplink (NTL) :-)
>
> Any prankster can post delete group control messages.

Despite my smiley, I was in fact being serious. I am seeing these posts in
uk.net.news.config. You'll see its role here:

http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.net.news.config.html

I agree not all servers act on rmgroup messages, but the one favoured by
many - N.I.N. - does.

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13°N 6.69°W posted 20/09/2005 20:50:25 UTC

Alan LeHun

Sep 20, 2005, 5:14:30 PM9/20/05
In article <fkj0j1p8l6p9f3j33ouc5rpbnod5gnp2t6
@news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>, inv...@invalid.invalid says...

> Ignore Charles Lindsey's "advice"

I fear you may have misinterpreted the nature of Charles' post.

Alas, poor uco.win95 etc, etc.

--
Alan LeHun

John Burke

Sep 20, 2005, 4:09:17 PM9/20/05
Mike Tullett wrote:
John Burke

>>> ANY REMAINING READERS OF THESE GROUPS should therefore subscribe to
>>> uk.comp.os.ms-windows instead.
>>
>> I can't find that group listed on News.Individual.net, what's the
>> matter here?
>>
>> I thought that server would certainly carry it.
>
> It certainly does carry it and I saw C. Lindsey's post in it first of
> all.

Guess it's been a long time since I refreshed the list then (er, like
never).

Got it now, thanks.

JB

Owen Rees

Sep 20, 2005, 5:39:01 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:18:04 GMT, Spartanicus <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote in
<p9r0j19hkuei16uqc...@news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>:

>Any prankster can post delete group control messages.

Pranksters do not have the PGP Private Key that is used to sign official
uk.* control messages. Control and Deputy Control have that key and it
will be used to sign the control messages that request deletion of the
groups. Some newsadmins (including N.I.N. I believe) have configured
their servers to verify the signature and act automatically on control
messages that verify correctly.

The W2K and W95 groups will cease to exist on some servers soon. Those
who continue to use them on servers that do not honour the control
messages may talk among themselves (as they could in alt.* or free.*
etc.) but their messages will not reach as many people as they used to.

Mike Tullett

Sep 20, 2005, 5:55:48 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:09:17 +0100, John Burke wrote in

>> It certainly does carry it and I saw C. Lindsey's post in it first of
>> all.
>
> Guess it's been a long time since I refreshed the list then (er, like
> never).
>
> Got it now, thanks.

I see you are using OE. There is a setting in it that will alert you to
new groups as they appear. "Tools" > "Options" > "General" > "Notify me if
there are any new newsgroups"

--
Mike Coleraine 55.13°N 6.69°W posted 20/09/2005 21:55:48 UTC

Pedt

Sep 20, 2005, 6:12:00 PM9/20/05
In message
<ctn0j1d1isk5hlrtr...@news.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie>, at
19:14:41 on Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Spartanicus <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wibbled
Pile of geriatric shoemenders. Newsadmins in their right mind will act
on a proper rmgroup.

Charles is carrying out the last part of the result a uk.* vote. No
more, no less. His announcement to the old groups was a courtesy and a
welcome one.
--
Pedt
Helpful words 01: "biggin" (noun). A biggin is a silver coffee pot with a

John of Aix

Sep 20, 2005, 5:27:45 PM9/20/05
Charles Lindsey wrote:
> The group uk.comp.os.ms-windows was formed on March 15th 2005 as a
> replacement for the two existing groups uk.comp.os.win2000 and
> uk.comp.os.win95.

Goodness, a post.

> The time has now come (indeed has long passed, but it seems to have
> got overlooked) to remove the old groups. I shall do this within the
> next couple of days (no further notice will be given).
>
> There appear to be no outstanding thread in either group (the last
> posts of consequence were way back in August).
>
> ANY REMAINING READERS OF THESE GROUPS should therefore subscribe to
> uk.comp.os.ms-windows instead.

I subscribe but do not read because, as we all know, no one posts here
anymore. May the group rest in peace.

Chris Bolus

Sep 20, 2005, 7:28:47 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:32:07 +0100, "John Burke" <dac...@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

I have to say it took ages, and several requests, for NTL to carry it,
but they certainly do now.
--
Regards, Chris (remove the arachnid to reply by e-mail)

****** Please email in plain text ******

Roy Schestowitz

Sep 21, 2005, 1:02:43 AM9/21/05
__/ [John of Aix] on Tuesday 20 September 2005 22:27 \__

There is only one issue: the Manchester Computing newsgroup server does not
appear to aggregate or even cater for a subscription to
uk.comp.os.ms-windows. I know that you too may have used that server in the
past. I hope something gets done on the matter shortly...

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz | "I blame God for making me an atheist"
http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E