(OT?) where does IE keep its history information?

Mike Scott

Mar 10, 2005, 5:43:34 AM3/10/05
I need to check web p[ages accessed during a certain time-frame, pages
which are listed in IE's history. However, there are a lot of them, and
the IE display order isn't useful. I can't find where these are stored
to look through by other means: the history "folder" is obviously so
magicked up it won't show dates - can anyone help please? (This is IE6
- on XP, hence the OT? :-) )

Thanks in advance.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)

Chris Bolus

Mar 10, 2005, 12:45:36 PM3/10/05
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:34:02 -0000, "Holly, in France" <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Mike Scott wrote:
>> I need to check web p[ages accessed during a certain time-frame, pages
>> which are listed in IE's history. However, there are a lot of them,
>> and the IE display order isn't useful. I can't find where these are
>> stored to look through by other means: the history "folder" is
>> obviously so magicked up it won't show dates - can anyone help
>> please? (This is IE6 - on XP, hence the OT? :-) )
>

>Have taken the OT out of the title in the hope of reaching a wider
>audience, and since my bit is on topic :-)
>
>I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but hope someone knows the
>answer. I delete Temporary Internet Files regularly since I'm short of
>HD space, using the Delete Files button in IE6. The only files left
>afterwards are the few cookies that I want to keep. However, virus scans
>etc take *ages* scanning temporary internet files, files which I can't
>find any trace of anywhere. Have 'view all files' enabled. Running Win98
>SE Any idea where these files are please anyone, and how to delete them?
>
>TIA
Open C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Right-click on the Content.IE5
folder and select Explore. You should then see a number of
randomly-named folders which contain the temporary files.

Other ways to save drive space:
In Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, go to Windows Setup and remove
any components you don't use.

Do a Search (Find) of the Windows folder and delete any .avi files you
find - these are used only for the Windows Tour and take up a lot of
space.

You can also look in C:\Windows\Temp and delete anything that is
left-over in there.

In the Program Files folder, it is safe to delete Online Services, and
the folders for Chat & NetMeeting if you don't use them.

I have 98 running perfectly happily as a printserver on a 540Mb drive!
Not to mention XP as a web server on a 1.7Gb drive. Both those PCs have
mere 333MHz processors!

--
Regards, Chris (remove the arachnid to reply by e-mail)

****** Please email in plain text ******

Holly, in France

Mar 10, 2005, 8:34:02 AM3/10/05
Mike Scott wrote:
> I need to check web p[ages accessed during a certain time-frame, pages
> which are listed in IE's history. However, there are a lot of them,
> and the IE display order isn't useful. I can't find where these are
> stored to look through by other means: the history "folder" is
> obviously so magicked up it won't show dates - can anyone help
> please? (This is IE6 - on XP, hence the OT? :-) )

Have taken the OT out of the title in the hope of reaching a wider

audience, and since my bit is on topic :-)

I can't answer your question I'm afraid, but hope someone knows the
answer. I delete Temporary Internet Files regularly since I'm short of
HD space, using the Delete Files button in IE6. The only files left
afterwards are the few cookies that I want to keep. However, virus scans
etc take *ages* scanning temporary internet files, files which I can't
find any trace of anywhere. Have 'view all files' enabled. Running Win98
SE Any idea where these files are please anyone, and how to delete them?

TIA
--
Holly, in France.
Holiday home in the Dordogne,
website: http://la-plaine.chez.tiscali.fr

Chris Bolus

Mar 10, 2005, 12:26:06 PM3/10/05
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:43:34 GMT, Mike Scott
<usen...@spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:

>I need to check web p[ages accessed during a certain time-frame, pages
>which are listed in IE's history. However, there are a lot of them, and
>the IE display order isn't useful. I can't find where these are stored
>to look through by other means: the history "folder" is obviously so
>magicked up it won't show dates - can anyone help please? (This is IE6
>- on XP, hence the OT? :-) )
>
>Thanks in advance.

The history folder is like that as it refers to the user - XP is odd
about that.
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files is where the Temporary Internet Files are kept for each user who
logs on. You can view details including dates there.

Mike Scott

Mar 10, 2005, 2:34:01 PM3/10/05
Chris Bolus wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:43:34 GMT, Mike Scott
> <usen...@spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>I need to check web p[ages accessed during a certain time-frame, pages
>>which are listed in IE's history. However, there are a lot of them, and
>>the IE display order isn't useful. I can't find where these are stored
>>to look through by other means: the history "folder" is obviously so
>>magicked up it won't show dates - can anyone help please? (This is IE6
>>- on XP, hence the OT? :-) )
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>

> The history folder is like that as it refers to the user - XP is odd
> about that.
> C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files is where the Temporary Internet Files are kept for each user who
> logs on. You can view details including dates there.

Thanks. I can certainly see and examine the cached pages - in fact what
I'm trying to do is cross-reference their times to the history
information, to ascertain positively which sites they came from.

I keep a dump of the machine (sorry, this is getting XP-specific again)
taken from sharing the users' areas and dumping over the network via a
unix box (smb_client/tar). Having taken a closer look here, it *seems*
as though index.dat in the History.IE5 folder contains the list of URLs,
but the time format isn't human-readable. Also, there are a number of
sites within index.dat that don't appear when IE displays the history
information. Ideas please?

Chris Bolus

Mar 10, 2005, 5:04:45 PM3/10/05
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:34:01 GMT, Mike Scott
<usen...@spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:

Ah, now this sounds like rather a different problem to the original
scenario - I'm assuming this is networked? I don't have any experience
of XP over a network in that type of situation - it sounds like a school
network and you're trying to track what websites users have been on?

I run XP across a network at home but each machine is effectively
standalone with some shared drives/folders/printers and a shared
internet connection, but each machine is user-specific; nobody logs onto
a machine as a different user.
At work (school) we run Win2K in a fully-networked environment, such
that users can be tracked from the server.
I'll ask my esteemed network manager, but I may not have anything which
really fits your situation.

Mike Scott

Mar 11, 2005, 4:41:14 AM3/11/05
Chris Bolus wrote:

No, but perhaps I wan't clear originally. Not a school - my home
network. I'm afraid some rather unpleasant material has surfaced in the
IE cache (found during a routine ad-aware scan that threw up some
dubious-looking cookies, which started me poking around a bit closer).
I'm *pretty* sure about the culprit (who denies it all!), but before
waving the big stick need some more evidence. So I've been trying to
find the web sites involved - hence the IE history question.

I've done more poking around since posting - there are a couple of
index.dat dumpers around (amazing what you can find on the net!!), and
one of these has shown some decidedly undesirable sites present in the
(presumed) culprit's current index.dat history file, although the times
displayed are only good to one minute. *But* these sites, and several
innocous ones, don't show up within IE's history (logged in as the
culprit). Which means there's something I still don't understand, so
I'm holding back on that big stick for now.

> I run XP across a network at home but each machine is effectively
> standalone with some shared drives/folders/printers and a shared
> internet connection, but each machine is user-specific; nobody logs onto
> a machine as a different user.
> At work (school) we run Win2K in a fully-networked environment, such
> that users can be tracked from the server.
> I'll ask my esteemed network manager, but I may not have anything which
> really fits your situation.

It's not really a networking problem - although the mix of w*ws and
freebsd can be useful at times like this. But any info would be very
welcome, thanks.

Marcus Houlden

Mar 11, 2005, 12:27:59 PM3/11/05
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:41:14 GMT, Mike Scott <usen...@spam.stopper.scottsonline.org.uk>
wrote the following to uk.comp.os.win95:

> I've done more poking around since posting - there are a couple of
> index.dat dumpers around (amazing what you can find on the net!!), and
> one of these has shown some decidedly undesirable sites present in the
> (presumed) culprit's current index.dat history file, although the times
> displayed are only good to one minute. *But* these sites, and several
> innocous ones, don't show up within IE's history (logged in as the
> culprit). Which means there's something I still don't understand, so
> I'm holding back on that big stick for now.

I find IE does have a tendency to store "offline content" for a lot longer
than "temporary internet files". I freed up about 100 MB of disk space on my
old Win95 machine when I told it to delete "offline content", even though
I'd already cleared the cache several times. It managed to store this
offline content even though I don't tell it to use offline mode.

>> I run XP across a network at home but each machine is effectively
>> standalone with some shared drives/folders/printers and a shared
>> internet connection, but each machine is user-specific; nobody logs onto
>> a machine as a different user.
>> At work (school) we run Win2K in a fully-networked environment, such
>> that users can be tracked from the server.
>> I'll ask my esteemed network manager, but I may not have anything which
>> really fits your situation.
>
> It's not really a networking problem - although the mix of w*ws and
> freebsd can be useful at times like this. But any info would be very
> welcome, thanks.

If you're gathering evidence, it might be an idea to have a proxy server
running on the network somewhere and set IE to use it. It doesn't have to be
a caching one, but the log file should tell you which URLs are accessed
when. Squid will let you do this.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid. "From" address is a blackhole.

"If you don't vote, you get morons in charge."
- Maurice Chavez (GTA Vice City)

Mike Scott

Mar 12, 2005, 4:11:00 AM3/12/05
Marcus Houlden wrote:

> If you're gathering evidence, it might be an idea to have a proxy server
> running on the network somewhere and set IE to use it. It doesn't have to be
> a caching one, but the log file should tell you which URLs are accessed
> when. Squid will let you do this.

Yes, a useful idea; but not something I'd want to get into if I can
avoid it. Meanwhile, I've got the firewall logging outbound accesses,
which about as useful. Neither helps for last week though........

Holly, in France

Mar 12, 2005, 7:11:13 AM3/12/05
Chris Bolus wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:34:02 -0000, "Holly, in France"
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

snip,,,,, I delete Temporary Internet Files regularly since I'm short

>> of HD space, using the Delete Files button in IE6. The only files
>> left afterwards are the few cookies that I want to keep. However,
>> virus scans etc take *ages* scanning temporary internet files, files
>> which I can't find any trace of anywhere. Have 'view all files'
>> enabled. Running Win98 SE Any idea where these files are please
>> anyone, and how to delete them?
>>
>> TIA

> Open . Right-click on the C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

> Content.IE5 folder and select Explore. You should then see a number of
> randomly-named folders which contain the temporary files.

Hmm, I'm not sure what is going on here. Thanks for letting me know
where to find it. When I open C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files by
double clicking My computer, then C, then windows, etc etc, the
Content.IE5 folder doesn't appear. Only the cookies are visible.
Refreshing the view doesn't make it appear. However, a 'find file' finds
the file in that location, and it is visible using Windows Explorer. So
I deleted the lot today, and freed up alot of HD space. Another odd
thing is that I have IE set to store only 39Mb of files, but there were
alot more than that in there! Then this evening, having deleted todays
files in IE/Tools/Internet Options and looked again in Windows Explorer,
many random named folders were in the ContentIE.5 folder, all of which
only contained desktop.ini. There is another copy of desktop.ini in the
main Content.IE.5 folder aswell. I've just renamed it to see what
happens, I thought only index.dat should be left in there?? It's all
very odd.

Some time ago I tried to install Kodak software, which required an
upgrade to IE.6. I am beginning to suspect that something went wrong in
that installation, and perhaps that might be causing the problem?

> Other ways to save drive space:
> In Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, go to Windows Setup and
> remove any components you don't use.

> Do a Search (Find) of the Windows folder and delete any .avi files you
> find - these are used only for the Windows Tour and take up a lot of
> space.

Thanks, had done those already.

> You can also look in C:\Windows\Temp and delete anything that is
> left-over in there.

Yeah, I have a problem there too. The Temp folder doesn't always empty
as it should and after a while it crashes OE, so I have to do that
manually regularly. Thought initially that this might be caused by a
virus but anti-virus is always up to date, Trends Housecall doesn't find
anything, neither does Ad-Aware, so I don't *think* it's anything like
that.

> In the Program Files folder, it is safe to delete Online Services, and
> the folders for Chat & NetMeeting if you don't use them.

No, don't use those, done that now too, thanks.

> I have 98 running perfectly happily as a printserver on a 540Mb drive!
> Not to mention XP as a web server on a 1.7Gb drive. Both those PCs
> have mere 333MHz processors!

:-) This is a 3Gb partition, and a mere 350MHz processor. My daughter
still uses a P133 which someone gave us recently, tiny drive, can't
remember the size offhand, it seems to do all she needs to.

I have another hard drive with a clean install of Win98SE on it. I just
keep going with this one, which was stable for about 3 years, since it
has alot of software for which I no longer have the CDs or the
downloaded programs. But I think I might feel a format and reinstall
coming on .....

If you can shed any more light on the above I would be very grateful,
but if not I'll carry on deleting stuff manually and see how it goes.
Thanks again

Holly, in France

Mar 12, 2005, 8:39:27 AM3/12/05
Mike Scott wrote:

rest snipped

> IE cache (found during a routine ad-aware scan that threw up some
> dubious-looking cookies, which started me poking around a bit closer).

Just a thought Mike, don't the cookies themselves have the date and time
that they were created on them? Winmag.com have a small and free cookie
viewer which shows this info.
--
Holly, in France.
Holiday Home in Dordogne

Holly, in France

Mar 12, 2005, 8:53:11 AM3/12/05
Holly, in France wrote:
> Mike Scott wrote:
>
> rest snipped
>> IE cache (found during a routine ad-aware scan that threw up some
>> dubious-looking cookies, which started me poking around a bit
>> closer).
>
> Just a thought Mike, don't the cookies themselves have the date and
> time that they were created on them? Winmag.com have a small and free
> cookie viewer which shows this info.

Another thought, came just after I had posted the message! If you
install this program keep it well hidden, it's very easy to delete
cookies with it and you might need them for future checking up! I have
the zip file for the program if you want it, it's 760Kb ish, I'll email
it to you if you like. Works on Win98, would probably run under XP too.
hol...@removethis.tiscali.fr if you want it.
Hope all this is of use, I might have got the wrong end of the
stick.....

Simon Elliott

Mar 12, 2005, 11:40:46 AM3/12/05

FWIW, my recollection is that the location of temporary internet files
changes in W98, depending on the number of user profiles used.

When I used W9* and got concerned about my history being retained, I
added the following lines to my autoexec.bat file -

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\attrib -r -a -s -h c:\windows\cookies\index.dat
del c:\windows\cookies\index.dat
del c:\windows\cookies\mm256.dat
del c:\windows\cookies\mm2048.dat
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\attrib -r -a -s -h
c:\windows\profiles\simon\cookies\index.dat
del c:\windows\profiles\simon\cookies\index.dat
del c:\windows\profiles\simon\cookies\mm256.dat
del c:\windows\profiles\simon\cookies\mm2048.dat
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\attrib -r -a -s -h c:\windows\history\
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\deltree /y c:\windows\history\
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\attrib -r -a -s -h c:\windows\profiles\simon\history\
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\deltree /y c:\windows\profiles\simon\history

But of course, this only deletes things at startup and ISTR the
preferred option being the use of a RAMDrive (logical disk, created in
memory) to which all IE output was redirected. Turn the computer off,
the RAMDrive is wiped, along with your Internet history.

HTH

--

Simon

Chris Bolus

Mar 12, 2005, 4:55:40 PM3/12/05
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:11:13 -0000, "Holly, in France" <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Chris Bolus wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:34:02 -0000, "Holly, in France"
>> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>snip,,,,, I delete Temporary Internet Files regularly since I'm short
>>> of HD space, using the Delete Files button in IE6. The only files
>>> left afterwards are the few cookies that I want to keep. However,
>>> virus scans etc take *ages* scanning temporary internet files, files
>>> which I can't find any trace of anywhere. Have 'view all files'
>>> enabled. Running Win98 SE Any idea where these files are please
>>> anyone, and how to delete them?
>>>
>>> TIA
>
>> Open . Right-click on the C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
>> Content.IE5 folder and select Explore. You should then see a number of
>> randomly-named folders which contain the temporary files.
>
>Hmm, I'm not sure what is going on here. Thanks for letting me know
>where to find it. When I open C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files by
>double clicking My computer, then C, then windows, etc etc, the
>Content.IE5 folder doesn't appear. Only the cookies are visible.
>Refreshing the view doesn't make it appear. However, a 'find file' finds
>the file in that location, and it is visible using Windows Explorer. So

Yes, that's right, you _have_ to use Explore, they're not visible in
normal Explorer windows. I don't know why that is.

>I deleted the lot today, and freed up alot of HD space. Another odd
>thing is that I have IE set to store only 39Mb of files, but there were
>alot more than that in there! Then this evening, having deleted todays
>files in IE/Tools/Internet Options and looked again in Windows Explorer,
>many random named folders were in the ContentIE.5 folder, all of which
>only contained desktop.ini. There is another copy of desktop.ini in the
>main Content.IE.5 folder aswell. I've just renamed it to see what
>happens, I thought only index.dat should be left in there?? It's all
>very odd.

Desktop.ini is a hidden file in most folders - I think it has to do with
Active Desktop.

>Some time ago I tried to install Kodak software, which required an
>upgrade to IE.6. I am beginning to suspect that something went wrong in
>that installation, and perhaps that might be causing the problem?
>
>> Other ways to save drive space:
>> In Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, go to Windows Setup and
>> remove any components you don't use.
>

>> Do a Search (Find) of the Windows folder and delete any .avi files you
>> find - these are used only for the Windows Tour and take up a lot of
>> space.
>
>Thanks, had done those already.
>
>> You can also look in C:\Windows\Temp and delete anything that is
>> left-over in there.
>
>Yeah, I have a problem there too. The Temp folder doesn't always empty
>as it should and after a while it crashes OE, so I have to do that
>manually regularly. Thought initially that this might be caused by a

Temp often doesn't clear out but crashes because of it aren't common.

>virus but anti-virus is always up to date, Trends Housecall doesn't find
>anything, neither does Ad-Aware, so I don't *think* it's anything like
>that.

Ad-aware misses a few things, Spybot Search & Destroy is more thorough.
Not familiar with the Trend antivirus; I use AVG. One worth knowing
about is Avast antivirus - there are a few viruses around which actively
shut down all the common antiviruses, and even prevent them being
installed or reinstalled. However Avast isn't on their list so I've used
it to get round that one a couple of times!

>> In the Program Files folder, it is safe to delete Online Services, and
>> the folders for Chat & NetMeeting if you don't use them.
>
>No, don't use those, done that now too, thanks.
>
>> I have 98 running perfectly happily as a printserver on a 540Mb drive!
>> Not to mention XP as a web server on a 1.7Gb drive. Both those PCs
>> have mere 333MHz processors!
>
>:-) This is a 3Gb partition, and a mere 350MHz processor. My daughter
>still uses a P133 which someone gave us recently, tiny drive, can't
>remember the size offhand, it seems to do all she needs to.

At the school I work at we still use P133s as terminal servers in some
rooms! They manage that quite well; it's just that because they're old
they tend to break down now.

>I have another hard drive with a clean install of Win98SE on it. I just
>keep going with this one, which was stable for about 3 years, since it
>has alot of software for which I no longer have the CDs or the
>downloaded programs. But I think I might feel a format and reinstall
>coming on .....

If you fit both drives in the same machine it's possible to copy across
the program files and then merge the registries. However if there are
problems in the registry they would also be copied this way.

Holly, in France

Mar 12, 2005, 6:30:56 PM3/12/05
Simon Elliott wrote:

> FWIW, my recollection is that the location of temporary internet files
> changes in W98, depending on the number of user profiles used.

That's interestng, thanks. Don't use profiles on this machine atm but I
might have in the past and there could be something in that, will have a
look.

> When I used W9* and got concerned about my history being retained, I
> added the following lines to my autoexec.bat file -

snip details...thanks

I don't want to do this since there are often recently viewed pages that
I want to keep for a while, and a few cookies I need to keep too.
Cookies are stopped anyway unless I really want to look at a site which
won't work without them, in which case I delete them afterwards.

Holly, in France.

Holly, in France

Mar 13, 2005, 5:58:54 AM3/13/05
Chris Bolus wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:11:13 -0000, "Holly, in France"
> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

snip....

>> Hmm, I'm not sure what is going on here. Thanks for letting me know
>> where to find it. When I open C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files by
>> double clicking My computer, then C, then windows, etc etc, the
>> Content.IE5 folder doesn't appear. Only the cookies are visible.
>> Refreshing the view doesn't make it appear. However, a 'find file'
>> finds the file in that location, and it is visible using Windows
>> Explorer. So
>
> Yes, that's right, you _have_ to use Explore, they're not visible in
> normal Explorer windows. I don't know why that is.

Ah well, at least it's not just my machine then, and I know now for
future reference. Do you know of any other files or folders that behave
in this way?

snips again

> Desktop.ini is a hidden file in most folders - I think it has to do
> with Active Desktop.

Which I don't use, but you might be right. Perhaps the computer stores
it just in case I change my mind?! :-)

>> but anti-virus is always up to date, Trends Housecall doesn't
>> find anything, neither does Ad-Aware, so I don't *think* it's
>> anything like that.

> Ad-aware misses a few things, Spybot Search & Destroy is more
> thorough.

Will have a look at that now that I have space on the drive to do it.

>Not familiar with the Trend antivirus; I use AVG. One worth
> knowing about is Avast antivirus - there are a few viruses around
> which actively shut down all the common antiviruses, and even prevent
> them being installed or reinstalled. However Avast isn't on their
> list so I've used it to get round that one a couple of times!

I use F-Prot, which can be run in DOS in safe mode or from a floppy.
Will have a look at Avast, thanks. Trend Housecall is a free online
scanner, so you have to able to get online to use it obviously, I just
use it occasionally to double check.

>> I have another hard drive with a clean install of Win98SE on it. I
>> just keep going with this one, which was stable for about 3 years,
>> since it has alot of software for which I no longer have the CDs or
>> the downloaded programs. But I think I might feel a format and
>> reinstall coming on .....

> If you fit both drives in the same machine it's possible to copy
> across the program files and then merge the registries. However if
> there are problems in the registry they would also be copied this way.

I copy files and backups onto the other drive in this way. There is no
way I am going to risk merging the registries though, I prefer to keep
one clean and separate Win98 for immediate use in case of disaster.
Holly, in France.

Simon Elliott

Mar 13, 2005, 9:01:31 AM3/13/05

Holly

Would you consider changing your strategy for Internet use?

I would suggest reducing your IE/Temporary Internet Folders to a small
figure (I use 20MB). You could then exclude even this small folder from
your regular AV sweep (maybe have a separate AV task to sweep just this
folder). Then switch to using Firefox (or some other browser) for the
majority of your browsing?

I do something like this and only use IE for those occasions when I
absolutely have to.

--

Simon Elliott

John of Aix

Mar 13, 2005, 1:11:29 PM3/13/05
Holly, in France wrote:
> Chris Bolus wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:34:02 -0000, "Holly, in France"
>> <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
> snip,,,,, I delete Temporary Internet Files regularly since I'm short
>>> of HD space, using the Delete Files button in IE6. The only files
>>> left afterwards are the few cookies that I want to keep. However,
>>> virus scans etc take *ages* scanning temporary internet files, files
>>> which I can't find any trace of anywhere. Have 'view all files'
>>> enabled. Running Win98 SE Any idea where these files are please
>>> anyone, and how to delete them?

>> Open . Right-click on the C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

>> Content.IE5 folder and select Explore. You should then see a number
>> of randomly-named folders which contain the temporary files.

> Hmm, I'm not sure what is going on here. Thanks for letting me know
> where to find it. When I open C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files by
> double clicking My computer, then C, then windows, etc etc, the
> Content.IE5 folder doesn't appear. Only the cookies are visible.

You have to use Explorer, not go via My Computer. Another thing is, many
of the files cannot be read while the are in these temporary folders so
you can't click on them and see the contents, they have to be movec
somewhere else.

Jock.

Mar 13, 2005, 1:57:44 PM3/13/05

You can if you use the old DOS list.com, it will read anything.

Jock.

--
"The President has kept all of the promises he
intended to keep."

Holly, in France

Mar 14, 2005, 5:04:19 AM3/14/05
Simon Elliott wrote:
> Holly
>
> Would you consider changing your strategy for Internet use?
> I would suggest reducing your IE/Temporary Internet Folders
> to a small figure (I use 20MB).

Well in theory mine was a small figure, but IE didn't seem to take any
notice of it! I might be mistaken though, the files I couldn't find or
delete could have been hidden from a long time ago. I'll monitor more
closely to see what happens now.

>You could then exclude even this small folder
> from your regular AV sweep (maybe have a separate AV task to sweep
> just this folder). Then switch to using Firefox (or some other
> browser) for the majority of your browsing?
> I do something like this and only use IE for those occasions when I
> absolutely have to.

I will have a look at Firefox, have seen it mentioned elsewhere too,
thanks.

--
Holly, in France

Holly, in France

Mar 14, 2005, 5:06:42 AM3/14/05
John of Aix wrote:

> You have to use Explorer, not go via My Computer.

So I discovered. Can't think of why they made it that way.

> Another thing is,
> many of the files cannot be read while the are in these temporary
> folders so you can't click on them and see the contents, they have to
> be movec somewhere else.

Thanks, didn't know that, will try to remember if ever I come across it
again.

Mike Scott

Mar 14, 2005, 5:49:03 AM3/14/05

Thanks for that; I have a similar program.

The sequence of events was:
* ran ad-aware - it found some dubious-looking tracking cookies
* ran the cookie viewer from Karen's tools (not sure where I got this,
but it has its own find-all-cookies search facility, and prints dates,
sites and cookie values)
* checked the temp internet files folder and found some nasties
* tried to check the IE history pane - which is where the technical fun
started: all the sites listed by IE for the day in question seemed
kosher, and IE wouldn't give dates in its History pane. I ended up
looking through dumps on my freebsd system, using 'strings' on the
index.dat file, which showed the relevant sites; I managed to find a
windows-based index.dat dump program which gave some dates & times which
corresponded with the cookies and temp files.

*But* I still can't explain things fully. My immediate reaction is that
Son must have visited these sites, then tried to delete the history
information (but presumably still left traces in the index.dat file).
But he still flatly denies looking at the sites, and I'd bet he doesn't
even know how to delete individual history entries. So I'm now
wondering if there's a way for an apparently kosher site to "frame"
someone, as it were, by making such entries during normal browsing: he
is keen on playing online games.

Simon Elliott

Mar 14, 2005, 11:07:50 AM3/14/05
Holly, in France wrote:

> I will have a look at Firefox, have seen it mentioned elsewhere too,
> thanks.

I agree you'd need to keep IE for certain sites (Windows Update for
one), but the advantage of FFox (or any other third party browser) is
that they're not tied so heavily into the OS; thus control is so much
easier.

--

Simon Elliott

Chris Bolus

Mar 14, 2005, 1:17:25 PM3/14/05
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:04:19 -0000, "Holly, in France" <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Simon Elliott wrote:

I use Firefox for Ebay; it doesn't "forget" my signin information like
IE does, and you can open items in a new tab instead of new windows.

John of Aix

Mar 14, 2005, 1:05:14 PM3/14/05

No I didn't mean list them but open them, HTML files if I remember
rightly.

Jock.

Mar 14, 2005, 2:25:18 PM3/14/05

Mostly. Those and graphics.

The directories are probably hidden.

Tim W

Mar 18, 2005, 6:32:51 AM3/18/05

"Chris Bolus" <ch...@b0lusSPIDER.com> wrote in message

Curious. I have never been able to get Firefox to 'keep me signed in on this
computer'.

Firefox also hangs for some seconds when asked to close multiple tabs or
when it is asked to load a page when disconnected. CPU usage goes up to 100%
for a while and everything stops working.

I like it though. and it doesn't do that on my other machine.

Tim W

Mike Scott

Mar 18, 2005, 9:04:36 AM3/18/05
Tim W wrote:
> "Chris Bolus" <ch...@b0lusSPIDER.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:04:19 -0000, "Holly, in France" <m...@privacy.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>I use Firefox for Ebay; it doesn't "forget" my signin information like
>>IE does, and you can open items in a new tab instead of new windows.
>>--
>

> Curious. I have never been able to get Firefox to 'keep me signed in on this
> computer'.

I get a mixture - the header says I'm signed in and even remembers my
ebay ID. But I still need to sign in to do anything that needs
authentication (eg looking at 'my ebay'). Obviously an ebay bug :-)