Backup from one HDD to other?

Tim W

Nov 15, 2004, 8:10:54 AM11/15/04
Worried by old hard disks. I want a very simple, easy, backup routine for
data and system on a stand alone machine. I have two hard disks, the larger,
newer one is installed, working and unused, so I guess I could easily back
up one from the other.

Other than copying the entire disk contents every week how would I go about
this? I need a simple backup utility I think. A program with which I can
select what I want to backup, then do a one click backup whenever I want.
Where would I find that?

Tim W

Rob Hemmings

Nov 19, 2004, 12:44:07 PM11/19/04

"Tim W" <tim.whittin...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Hi Tim,

You could try using XCOPY from a DOS prompt. You can
use this to copy files to the other HD and automatically set the
'archive' attribute of any files which have previously been
backed-up. Next time you use XCOPY, it'll only backup
those files which are new or have changed since last time.
To see which XCOPY switches you need, type:
XCOPY /?
at a DOS prompt. Try googling for "XCOPY backup" -
I found this which looks like just what you need:
http://www.ekho.com/Training_Videos/XCOPY_NOTES.pdf
HTH
--
Rob

Tim W

Nov 23, 2004, 9:54:25 AM11/23/04

"Rob Hemmings" <No-...@nowhere.con> wrote in message

> "Tim W" <tim.whittin...@virgin.net> wrote in message

> > ... I need a simple backup utility I think. A program with which I can

> > select what I want to backup, then do a one click backup whenever I
want.
> > Where would I find that?
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> You could try using XCOPY from a DOS prompt. You can
> use this to copy files to the other HD and automatically set the
> 'archive' attribute of any files which have previously been
> backed-up. Next time you use XCOPY, it'll only backup
> those files which are new or have changed since last time.
> To see which XCOPY switches you need, type:
> XCOPY /?
> at a DOS prompt. Try googling for "XCOPY backup" -
> I found this which looks like just what you need:
> http://www.ekho.com/Training_Videos/XCOPY_NOTES.pdf
> HTH

Thanks, that's interesting, but I don't really do command lines. (unless I
have to).

Tim W

Jock.

Nov 23, 2004, 12:42:39 PM11/23/04
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:54:25 -0000, "Tim W" <tim.whittin...@virgin.net>
wrote:

Command lines are always easier, quicker and more efficient that
drag-and-drop!

--

Jock.

I hate the way the press protects George W. Bush's
stupidity.

-Bushwatcher, 12/03/01.

David Rance

Nov 24, 2004, 1:25:33 PM11/24/04
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Rob Hemmings wrote:

>You could try using XCOPY from a DOS prompt. You can
>use this to copy files to the other HD and automatically set the
>'archive' attribute of any files which have previously been
>backed-up. Next time you use XCOPY, it'll only backup
>those files which are new or have changed since last time.
>To see which XCOPY switches you need, type:
>XCOPY /? at a DOS prompt.

Am I right in thinking that, if I do

XCOPY <whatever switches I need> c:\*.* d:

I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?

David

| Internet: david...@rance.org.uk | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS: telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Jock.

Nov 24, 2004, 2:07:01 PM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 18:25:33 +0000, David Rance <david...@SPAMOFFrance.org.uk>
wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Rob Hemmings wrote:
>
>>You could try using XCOPY from a DOS prompt. You can
>>use this to copy files to the other HD and automatically set the
>>'archive' attribute of any files which have previously been
>>backed-up. Next time you use XCOPY, it'll only backup
> >those files which are new or have changed since last time.
> >To see which XCOPY switches you need, type:
> >XCOPY /? at a DOS prompt.
>
>Am I right in thinking that, if I do
>
>XCOPY <whatever switches I need> c:\*.* d:
>
>I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?

No! That would only copy the root directory of c:

You need the /s switch to copy subdirectories.

I would use: xcopy c: d:\ /v/s/h/e

Copy all files on drive c: to drive d:

\ = create new directories on d: without asking
/v = verify copied files
/s = copy subdirectories
/h = copy hidden files
/e = copy empty directories

There are lots more switches, but even so I'm not at all sure
that you would end up with an exact copy of the source disc.

Find some documentation on the Web.

Incidentally XXCOPY is even better than XCOPY; it has more
options. Here are all the options available in XCOPY:

XCOPY source [destination] [/A | /M] [/D[:date]] [/P] [/S [/E]] [/V] [/W]
[/C] [/I] [/Q] [/F] [/L] [/G] [/H] [/R] [/T] [/U]
[/K] [/N] [/O] [/X] [/Y] [/-Y] [/Z]
[/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...]

source Specifies the file(s) to copy.
destination Specifies the location and/or name of new files.
/A Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
doesn't change the attribute.
/M Copies only files with the archive attribute set,
turns off the archive attribute.
/D:m-d-y Copies files changed on or after the specified date.
If no date is given, copies only those files whose
source time is newer than the destination time.
/EXCLUDE:file1[+file2][+file3]...
Specifies a list of files containing strings. Each string
should be in a separate line in the files. When any of the
strings match any part of the absolute path of the file to be
copied, that file will be excluded from being copied. For
example, specifying a string like \obj\ or .obj will exclude
all files underneath the directory obj or all files with the
.obj extension respectively.
/P Prompts you before creating each destination file.
/S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
/E Copies directories and subdirectories, including empty ones.
Same as /S /E. May be used to modify /T.
/V Verifies each new file.
/W Prompts you to press a key before copying.
/C Continues copying even if errors occur.
/I If destination does not exist and copying more than one file,
assumes that destination must be a directory.
/Q Does not display file names while copying.
/F Displays full source and destination file names while copying.
/L Displays files that would be copied.
/G Allows the copying of encrypted files to destination that does
not support encryption.
/H Copies hidden and system files also.
/R Overwrites read-only files.
/T Creates directory structure, but does not copy files. Does not
include empty directories or subdirectories. /T /E includes
empty directories and subdirectories.
/U Copies only files that already exist in destination.
/K Copies attributes. Normal Xcopy will reset read-only attributes.
/N Copies using the generated short names.
/O Copies file ownership and ACL information.
/X Copies file audit settings (implies /O).
/Y Suppresses prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
existing destination file.
/-Y Causes prompting to confirm you want to overwrite an
existing destination file.
/Z Copies networked files in restartable mode.

David Rance

Nov 24, 2004, 5:30:31 PM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Jock. wrote:

>>Am I right in thinking that, if I do
>>
>>XCOPY <whatever switches I need> c:\*.* d:
>>
>>I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?
>
>No! That would only copy the root directory of c:
>
>You need the /s switch to copy subdirectories.

Thanks for the reply. However, I realised I would need switches hence my
including <whatever switches I need> above.

What I'm getting at is this: if I wanted to replace my existing hard
drive with a new one, could I do this by using xcopy (naturally with
whatever switches I need) rather than doing a clean install of the
operating system. Otherwise I would be hunting round for installation
copies of all the software I presently have on my existing drive c:

It would work with a purely DOS installation, but would it work with
Windows (98SE)?

>Incidentally XXCOPY is even better than XCOPY; it has more
>options.

Don't have XXCOPY.

Jock.

Nov 24, 2004, 6:24:59 PM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:30:31 +0000, David Rance <david...@SPAMOFFrance.org.uk>
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Jock. wrote:

>>>Am I right in thinking that, if I do
>>>
>>>XCOPY <whatever switches I need> c:\*.* d:
>>>
>>>I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?
>>
>>No! That would only copy the root directory of c:
>>
>>You need the /s switch to copy subdirectories.
>
>Thanks for the reply. However, I realised I would need switches hence my
>including <whatever switches I need> above.

OK.

>What I'm getting at is this: if I wanted to replace my existing hard
>drive with a new one, could I do this by using xcopy (naturally with
>whatever switches I need) rather than doing a clean install of the
>operating system. Otherwise I would be hunting round for installation
>copies of all the software I presently have on my existing drive c:

I know the feeling, although there's nothing more refreshing for a
hard disc than a reformat and a clean re-install! It's always a Good
Idea to keep all your installation discs for all your applications
in one easily accessible place.

>It would work with a purely DOS installation, but would it work with
>Windows (98SE)?

I doubt it. Certainly it would not be able, AFAIK to transfer the
boot files and make the destination drive bootable, although that
is very easy to do once everything else has been transferred.

>>Incidentally XXCOPY is even better than XCOPY; it has more
>>options.

>Don't have XXCOPY.

I have. You can EMail me for a copy. It's 251,800 bytes long.

I would go for a disc imaging programme for this particular task.
(I've forgotten exactly why you particularly wanted to use DOS
and XCOPY).

David Rance

Nov 24, 2004, 6:56:31 PM11/24/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Jock. wrote:

>>What I'm getting at is this: if I wanted to replace my existing hard
>>drive with a new one, could I do this by using xcopy (naturally with
>>whatever switches I need) rather than doing a clean install of the
>>operating system. Otherwise I would be hunting round for installation
>>copies of all the software I presently have on my existing drive c:
>
>I know the feeling, although there's nothing more refreshing for a
>hard disc than a reformat and a clean re-install!

Sure. I look forward to the day when I can afford to upgrade to XP on a
new computer (not worth it with this one), but I really wanted a quick
and easy way of replacing my existing drive just in case it goes U/S on
me! Hasn't happened yet in more than twenty years of computing but
that's probably a good reason for it happening now!! Got my documents
backed up but a hard disk failure would entail hours of work in setting
everything up again - even assuming I could remember all the programs I
presently have on the hard drive!

>It's always a Good
>Idea to keep all your installation discs for all your applications
>in one easily accessible place.

OK for those that come on CDs but I don't have all the installation
files for those that have been downloaded from the Internet. Anyhow, it
would be laborious when I just don't have the time at the moment. Hence
the desire for a quick and easy way to do it.

Jock.

Nov 25, 2004, 9:37:42 AM11/25/04
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:56:31 +0000, David Rance <david...@SPAMOFFrance.org.uk>
wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Jock. wrote:

>>>What I'm getting at is this: if I wanted to replace my existing hard
>>>drive with a new one, could I do this by using xcopy (naturally with
>>>whatever switches I need) rather than doing a clean install of the
>>>operating system. Otherwise I would be hunting round for installation
>>>copies of all the software I presently have on my existing drive c:
>>
>>I know the feeling, although there's nothing more refreshing for a
>>hard disc than a reformat and a clean re-install!
>
>Sure. I look forward to the day when I can afford to upgrade to XP on a
>new computer (not worth it with this one), but I really wanted a quick
>and easy way of replacing my existing drive just in case it goes U/S on
>me! Hasn't happened yet in more than twenty years of computing but
>that's probably a good reason for it happening now!! Got my documents
>backed up but a hard disk failure would entail hours of work in setting
>everything up again - even assuming I could remember all the programs I
>presently have on the hard drive!
>
>>It's always a Good
>>Idea to keep all your installation discs for all your applications
>>in one easily accessible place.
>
>OK for those that come on CDs but I don't have all the installation
>files for those that have been downloaded from the Internet. Anyhow, it
>would be laborious when I just don't have the time at the moment. Hence
>the desire for a quick and easy way to do it.

Well, have you a CD or DVD writer fitted?

--

Jock.

Dès qu'une chose devient utile, elle cesse
d'être belle
- Thophile Gautier

Rob Hemmings

Nov 25, 2004, 12:06:13 PM11/25/04

"David Rance" <david...@SPAMOFFrance.org.uk> wrote in message

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Rob Hemmings wrote:
>
> >You could try using XCOPY from a DOS prompt. You can
> >use this to copy files to the other HD and automatically set the
> >'archive' attribute of any files which have previously been
> >backed-up. Next time you use XCOPY, it'll only backup
> >those files which are new or have changed since last time.
> >To see which XCOPY switches you need, type:
> >XCOPY /? at a DOS prompt.
>
> Am I right in thinking that, if I do
>
> XCOPY <whatever switches I need> c:\*.* d:
>
> I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?

Hi David,

I think this will work (I've done it before, but years ago, so
may have missed something):

If you're fitting the new HD to the same IDE cable, then set its

master/slave jumper to the slave position.

Fit the new HD, use fdisk (make sure that fdisk is operating on

the new HD! and let it use all available space).

Reboot and then format it:

Format D:

When done, at a DOS prompt, type:

XCOPY C:\*.* D:\*.* /C /H /E /K /Y

which will copy all files and folders including hidden and empty ones

from C: to the new drive (which the system will call D: at this point).

When xcopy has finished, type:

SYS D:

This makes the new drive bootable.

To check that this has all worked properly, change the jumper

on the new drive to Master, remove the old drive and connect

the new drive in exactly the same way as the old drive was (ie

to the end connector on the IDE cable).

The system should now boot up and look exactly the same as

it did on the old drive.

HTH
--
Rob

David Rance

Nov 25, 2004, 1:23:45 PM11/25/04
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Jock. wrote:

>>>It's always a Good
>>>Idea to keep all your installation discs for all your applications
>>>in one easily accessible place.
>>
>>OK for those that come on CDs but I don't have all the installation
>>files for those that have been downloaded from the Internet. Anyhow, it
>>would be laborious when I just don't have the time at the moment. Hence
>>the desire for a quick and easy way to do it.
>
>Well, have you a CD or DVD writer fitted?

No.

David Rance

Nov 25, 2004, 1:30:01 PM11/25/04
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Rob Hemmings wrote:

>I think this will work (I've done it before, but years ago, so
>may have missed something):
>
>If you're fitting the new HD to the same IDE cable, then set its
>master/slave jumper to the slave position.
>
>Fit the new HD, use fdisk (make sure that fdisk is operating on
>the new HD! and let it use all available space).
>
>Reboot and then format it:
>
>Format D:
>
>When done, at a DOS prompt, type:
>
>XCOPY C:\*.* D:\*.* /C /H /E /K /Y
>
>which will copy all files and folders including hidden and empty ones
>from C: to the new drive (which the system will call D: at this point).
>When xcopy has finished, type:
>
>SYS D:
>
>This makes the new drive bootable.
>
>To check that this has all worked properly, change the jumper
>on the new drive to Master, remove the old drive and connect
>the new drive in exactly the same way as the old drive was (ie
>to the end connector on the IDE cable).
>
>The system should now boot up and look exactly the same as
>it did on the old drive.

That's great, Rob. I was sure it could be done somehow. I think I would
have done the SYS D: before copying the files. Is there a reason for
doing it afterwards?

Jock.

Nov 25, 2004, 4:14:24 PM11/25/04
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:23:45 +0000, David Rance <david...@SPAMOFFrance.org.uk>
wrote:

>>>OK for those that come on CDs but I don't have all the installation
>>>files for those that have been downloaded from the Internet. Anyhow, it
>>>would be laborious when I just don't have the time at the moment. Hence
>>>the desire for a quick and easy way to do it.
>>
>>Well, have you a CD or DVD writer fitted?
>
>No.

In that case do what the last poster advised you to do
with XCOPY.

If it doesn't work you can always reformat and start
again.

Marcus Houlden

Nov 25, 2004, 6:23:20 PM11/25/04
wrote the following to uk.comp.os.win95:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Rob Hemmings wrote:
>
>>You could try using XCOPY from a DOS prompt. You can
>>use this to copy files to the other HD and automatically set the
>>'archive' attribute of any files which have previously been
>>backed-up. Next time you use XCOPY, it'll only backup
> >those files which are new or have changed since last time.
> >To see which XCOPY switches you need, type:
> >XCOPY /? at a DOS prompt.
>
> Am I right in thinking that, if I do
>
> XCOPY <whatever switches I need> c:\*.* d:

Try

XCOPY32 c:\*.* d: /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y

at a command prompt. XCOPY32 only runs whem the GUI is running. You want
this as running XCOPY when the GUI *isn't* running will destroy all the long
filenames on the drive being copied to.

The /C switch is particularly important here as XCOPY32 will otherwise stop
if it comes across an error, including a file being in use. Not good if the
first file you come across is the swapfile which is *always* in use.

The /A switch will copy files with the archive attribute set and will leave
it as it is. The /M switch will copy those files and reset the archive
attribute.

See http://www.nukesoft.co.uk/msdos/xcopy32.htm for a full list of XCOPY32
switches (my own website FWIW).

> I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?

No. Some files have to be in a certain place for a drive to be bootable and
you also need a boot sector. SYS D: will do this.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid.
"From" address is a blackhole.

David Rance

Nov 26, 2004, 7:10:44 AM11/26/04
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Marcus Houlden wrote:

>Try
>
>XCOPY32 c:\*.* d: /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y
>
>at a command prompt. XCOPY32 only runs whem the GUI is running. You want
>this as running XCOPY when the GUI *isn't* running will destroy all the long
>filenames on the drive being copied to.

Good point. Thanks for that.

>> I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?
>
>No. Some files have to be in a certain place for a drive to be bootable and
>you also need a boot sector. SYS D: will do this.

That's why I asked in a previous message if SYS D: should be done first.

Jock.

Nov 26, 2004, 9:55:09 AM11/26/04
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:10:44 +0000, David Rance <david...@SPAMOFFrance.org.uk>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Marcus Houlden wrote:
>
>>Try
>>
>>XCOPY32 c:\*.* d: /R/I/C/H/K/E/Y
>>
>>at a command prompt. XCOPY32 only runs whem the GUI is running. You want
>>this as running XCOPY when the GUI *isn't* running will destroy all the long
>>filenames on the drive being copied to.
>
>Good point. Thanks for that.
>
>>> I would create on d: a mirror of c: including d: being bootable?
>>
>>No. Some files have to be in a certain place for a drive to be bootable and
>>you also need a boot sector. SYS D: will do this.
>
>That's why I asked in a previous message if SYS D: should be done first.

Doesn't matter when you do it as long as you do it before you
try to boot from the new drive.

--

Jock.

Recycle more rubbish! Re-elect "New" Labour.
- Anon.