Copies appearing in Temp folder

Holly

Nov 27, 2004, 1:49:22 PM11/27/04
Hi all, please can anyone tell me what is going on here? My computer has
started making strange copies in the Temp folder. Every time I read an
email or newsgroup message it copies the message to the Temp file,
renaming plain text emails into .txt files and html. emails into .htm or
.dat files. Unless I delete these temp files, after a few times of
looking at the same message (first one in the list in the inbox for
example, it copies that every time I move from another folder back to
the inbox, and every time I start up OE) it either freezes or restarts
the computer.

Sounded to me like a virus/worm but I can't find anything on the web
which seems to produce these symptoms.

Win98SE system running FStopW and The Cleaner, both kept up to date.
Also ZoneAlarm most of the time but I don't load that at start up and
very occasionally forget to start it manually before going online. Trend
Micros Housecall doesn't find anything either.

Anyone recognise this as a virus or have any idea what might have gone
wrong?

TIA
Holly