Install error...

sky15926

Jun 17, 2005, 10:37:26 AM6/17/05
I have uninstalled some existing, working applications under WS 2000 (latest
SP installed). As I try now to install them again, using the same CD's, I
get the error
" C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT . The system file is not suitable for
running MS_DOS and
Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application.'

Is there a parameter in the system wrongly setup? I repeat, I use exactly
the same CD's, and was very well istalled before...

Roy Schestowitz

Jun 17, 2005, 11:58:42 AM6/17/05
sky15926 wrote:

Autoexec.nt sounds like an alternative or a back-up for autoexec.bat, which
runs processes once the operating system taken control from BIOS. I think
it might be safe to remove that file and, even more cautiously, move it to
a temporary location and see the outcome. It seems possible that some
process modified the file, which in turn could have been modified by a
service pack or the like.

Have a look at the file (edit) and see if it makes sense. If not, try
replacing it with c:\autoexec.bat, but make sure you keep a trail of
back-ups.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

Trevor Best

Jun 17, 2005, 12:57:37 PM6/17/05
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> sky15926 wrote:
>

>>I have uninstalled some existing, working applications under WS 2000
>>(latest SP installed). As I try now to install them again, using the same
>>CD's, I get the error
>>" C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT . The system file is not suitable for
>>running MS_DOS and
>>Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the
>>application.'
>>
>>Is there a parameter in the system wrongly setup? I repeat, I use exactly
>>the same CD's, and was very well istalled before...
>

> Autoexec.nt sounds like an alternative or a back-up for autoexec.bat, which

autoexec.nt is not a backup but the equivalent of autoexec.bat, it's a
batch file that runs whenever a command prompt window is opened.
likewise there's a config.nt that works like the old config.sys.

--
[OO=00=OO]

Marcus Houlden

Jun 17, 2005, 4:04:06 PM6/17/05
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:37:26 +0200, sky15926 <sky1...@skynet.be>

What does it say in autoexec.nt? It's a text file so you can open it in
Notepad.

mh.
--
Reply-to address *is* valid. "From" address is a blackhole.

This space to let.

sky15926

Jun 18, 2005, 6:46:31 AM6/18/05
The Notepad says :

@echo off

REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

REM Install CD ROM extensions
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

Is this of any help somewhere? (I hope so...)

--
Luc Robbens
Rooistraat 31

Tel 016/44.36.74
GSM 0479/67.37.10
"Marcus Houlden" <sp...@nukesoft.co.uk> wrote in message

Guy Harrison

Jun 18, 2005, 2:58:41 PM6/18/05
sky15926 wrote:

> The Notepad says :
>
> @echo off
>
> REM AUTOEXEC.BAT is not used to initialize the MS-DOS environment.
> REM AUTOEXEC.NT is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a
> REM different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.
>
> REM Install CD ROM extensions
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
>
> REM Install network redirector (load before dosx.exe)
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
>
> REM Install DPMI support
> lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
>

> Is this of any help somewhere? (I hope so...)

That's bog-standard so your problem lies elsewhere. Grabbing at straws...

if the error relates to autoexec.nt itself then look at its permissions.

if the error relates to what autoexec.nt is getting pulled in by (by way of
16bit subsystem iirc) then try anything (eg: qbasic)

I've never seen that error myself. Verify the binary images are correct. For
example, if it were unix you'd (say) invoke an "md5sum" on the binary ...
etc.

...otherwise suspect a registry problem?

sky15926

Jun 20, 2005, 6:49:51 AM6/20/05
I have it working again!

After some (a lot...) of looking and asking around, I've received the
following (working) information:

"This issue is often caused when yoyr "config.nt", "autoexec.nt" or
"command.com" files are missing or damaged. To restore these files back to
their original format, yoy can expand the files from your Microsoft Windows
XP or 2000 resore CD, or if you do not have the Windows restore CD, you can
repair the autoexec.nt and config.nt manually from the repair directory."

Follows an explanation how to do so.

I've restored the files from the restore CD, and it's working very fine now!

A great, chearful thanks to everybody who helped me in this quest...

"sky15926" <sky1...@skynet.be> wrote in message