WIN2k caught in infinite loop at boot after renaming root drive letter

GregKagi...@verizon.net

Mar 27, 2005, 1:00:18 PM3/27/05
Hi, I sure am glad this exists....!!!!
I love google.
PROBLEM: Two days ago I merely changed my root drive (using Partition
Magic) from drive letter F: to drive letter C:
I have been unable to get WIN2K to boot up since.
I tried a repair using the windows system disk...
(1) The automatic quick repair letting the CD do its thing.
That did not work.
(2) I tried the recovery console and tried both the fixboot and fixmbr.
That did not work.
I have examined the boot.ini and it is correct. This was a new (1
week) and stable installation... with minimum installs. Only updates
really... through SP4.

Read and tried everything I could find on the web, including fdisk /mbr
from DOS. I was just about ready to restore my backup image and can't
find it. I don't want to have to do a reinstall. Can anyone help? Is
there a quick fix.

After the fixboot the screen comes up blue... and ultimately into a
loop of Loading /Saving... screens flashing at me. I wonder if there
is a corrupted switch telling it to reboot (hidden in the boot.ini)?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Greg

thoss

Mar 27, 2005, 1:55:54 PM3/27/05
In article <1111946418.5...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
GregKagi...@verizon.net writes
Have you tried reversing your Partition Magic changes? You will need to
run the program from DOS floppies, of course, which you can create from
PM in Windows.
--
Thoss

Dave Mills

Mar 29, 2005, 11:26:22 PM3/29/05
thoss <t...@plus.com> wrote:
in message <$ECTcIA6...@thoss.plus.com>

>In article <1111946418.5...@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>GregKagi...@verizon.net writes
>>Hi, I sure am glad this exists....!!!!
>>I love google.
>>PROBLEM: Two days ago I merely changed my root drive (using Partition
>>Magic) from drive letter F: to drive letter C:
>>I have been unable to get WIN2K to boot up since.

snip ...

>Have you tried reversing your Partition Magic changes? You will need to
>run the program from DOS floppies, of course, which you can create from
>PM in Windows.

I presume W2k Pro. It tattoos the system drive throughout the registry
(unlike W2K server) so restore the partitions is the only way. With a
working system you could possible edit the registry and substitute C:
for F: but there are hundreds (or thousands) of entries. I gave up and
reinstalled as it was quicker. (There are smart reg edit tools about
that may help. You will also need to do the edits while not booted to
the system and that adds another difficulty.