problem accessing/exploring media in atapi drive

chandler

Apr 30, 2005, 4:49:37 AM4/30/05

I have been trying to sort out a problem that has me stumped.

The computer is running W2000 and has a dvd rom, a cd rewriter and a
multi-memory card reader. All of these drives are recognized by Windows
2000. If the computer is booted with a disk in either of the atapi
drives or a memory card in the reader then, when the computer has
finished booting into Windows, I can access the disk and/or memory card.
I can explore the contents and install programs from a disk. Everything
is just as it should be.

However, if I boot the computer with nothing in the atapi drives or
memory card reader and then put a disk or card in the drives I cannot
access the media. If I try explore the drives I get an error message
telling me that the "disk in drive <x> is not formatted. Do you want to
format the disk".

This is probably a case of not seeing the wood for the trees, but it has
got me. Anyone got any suggestions as to what might be causing the
problem or what the solution is?