no gaming options icon showing in control panel

1 view

grylion

Mar 22, 2005, 7:12:34 PM3/22/05
Hi all,
As the subject line says.
I did a reinstall of 2000pro on a new machine
asus pc4800-e de luxe
p4 3g
1g ram
using on board sound (works ok)
game port shows up and no conflicts in device manager
I tried to reinstall the joy.cpl file as per the help instructions,
but i could not get it to work.
The gaming option icon showed up on my old machine, but not this one.
Any ideas any one?
thanks gry

Rob Hemmings

Mar 23, 2005, 9:41:05 AM3/23/05

"grylion" <gry...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Does device manager show a "Standard Game Port"? If not,
you probably need to enable it in the BIOS. If it is already
enabled, try changing the port settings within the BIOS -
200/300 is default, with 200/330, 208/300 and 208/330 as
options. You might have to remove it from device manager
and then run the add/remove hardware wizard in control panel
to get w2k to re-install it with the new settings.
HTH
--
Rob

Dave Mills

Mar 23, 2005, 1:26:36 PM3/23/05
This group is moving to uk.comp.os.ms-windows

THE GRYLION

Mar 23, 2005, 8:34:39 PM3/23/05

"Rob Hemmings" <r...@NOSPAM.le.ac.uk> wrote in message

Standard game port shows and is enabled.
I uninstalled it and it reinstalls automatically without telling me.
Tried different port settings... no change.
There are two errors in the command lines which my son pointed out to me,
but it still does not show up.
Apart from losing my windows updates , would a repair install put it back?
Below is windows troubleshooter help advice....

-----
If there's no Game Controllers icon in Control Panel, the joy.cpl file may
be corrupted or missing. Reinstall joy.cpl from your Windows 2000 CD-ROM.

To reinstall joy.cpl

Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
In Search for files or folders named, type joy.cpl, and then click Search
Now.
Right-click the joy.cpl in your Windows 2000 system folder, click Rename,
type joy.old, and then press ENTER.
Open a Command Prompt window.
At the command prompt, type cd c:\winnt\system 32, and then press ENTER.

If Windows 2000 isn't installed on drive C in the Winnt folder, replace
c:\winnt with the drive

and folder where Windows 2000 is installed.
Type Expand drive:\i386\joy.cp_ joy.cpl, where drive is the drive letter of
your CD-ROM drive. Press Enter.

If replying can you please send me a personal email as well as in the group.
I am unable to read my own posts for some reason and possibly some replys.
The e-mail address is only used for newsgroups.
thanks peter

Oldish sod

Mar 23, 2005, 9:19:55 PM3/23/05
"Dave Mills" <Ne...@nospam.djmills.co.uk> wrote in message

> This group is moving to uk.comp.os.ms-windows
Yes it is. The news carrier/ISP I use, here, carries it, but many
don't. Yet. But best ask as many ISPs won't add new ngs unless
asked?
--
Rob.