CD-ROM not accessable in w2k

ajv2003

Apr 16, 2005, 12:19:28 PM4/16/05
After zero-ing out the drive I was able to install w2k-SP2 on this
machine. All the hardware is 2 years old except the CD-ROM (LITEON
CD-ROM LTN 485S)which has a manf date nov 1999. To contimue after final
reboot the CD-ROM shows up in C-MOS and W2K reports it as being there
and working fine. Pop in a CD and it just sits there blinking. Try to
access the content and the system crasses. The 4in1 driver (VIA)as a
version 4.55. There are no error reported.

Driver info,
Microsoft
11/14/1999
Digital sig: Microsoft Windows 2000 Publisher

Any ideas?

Martin Smith

Apr 16, 2005, 2:47:43 PM4/16/05
sounds dead, buy another perhaps.

--
Martin

ajv2003

Apr 17, 2005, 1:44:24 AM4/17/05
Yet, it still works in Win Me. Yes, I'll buy an other. I just though
some one on this list would know why a CD-ROM will work in DOS does not
work with W2K or XP.

steves...@bigun.serverbox.org.nospam

Apr 17, 2005, 3:28:34 AM4/17/05

"ajv2003" <aver...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Yet, it still works in Win Me. Yes, I'll buy an other. I just though
> some one on this list would know why a CD-ROM will work in DOS does not
> work with W2K or XP.

have you tried right clicking on my computer then selecting MANAGE..
in the window that opens goto STORAGE in the left pane,
then open this,
then open the folder called PHYSICAL LOCATIONS
then see if the cd drive is in there,,
if it is double click on it to open the list, then goto DRIVES (in the same
colum as the cd drive) double click on this then IN THE RIGHT HAND PANE you
will see the drive itself,,
right click on this then select PROPERTIES at the bottom of the window
there should be a box labeled ENABLE DRIVE tick this box then click apply
then ok.........You may have to restart the comp but this should not be
needed as it should mount the drive for you.. it may take a couple of
minutes to mount and it may seem that your computer hangs ..but be patent
this is normal..

let us know how u get on with this one...................

Clive Coleman

Apr 17, 2005, 6:04:58 AM4/17/05
In message <1113716664.4...@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
ajv2003 <aver...@gmail.com> writes

>Yet, it still works in Win Me. Yes, I'll buy an other. I just though
>some one on this list would know why a CD-ROM will work in DOS does not
>work with W2K or XP.

Are you trying to use a DOS based program?
--
Clive.

ajv2003

Apr 17, 2005, 10:03:20 PM4/17/05
I tried as you said. I waited 1 hr. Same result. result.

Host ID LUN Device Type Vendor Model Rev Extra Information
01 00 00 Optical Drive LITEON CD-ROM LTN485S

ajv2003

Apr 17, 2005, 10:05:14 PM4/17/05
No, Just wanted to re-install Win XP.