Can't disable write caching for Zip drive on W2K

Tony Mountifield

Aug 2, 2005, 4:42:18 AM8/2/05
Background: the system I have been using up till now is a SCSI-based
machine with a Iomega ZIP-100 SCSI drive. Running Win2K. When I write to
a Zip disk, the write-behind caching causes some of the writes to be
delayed. If I press the eject button immediately after writing, the disk
is locked and doesn't eject until the pending data has been written to
it, up to several seconds later. This is fine and as it should be.

I have now started to use a different system, also running Win2K, that
is IDE-based, with an IDE ZIP-100. There seems to be no protection
against ejecting the disk early, and if I do so, I then get messages
about delayed write failures. Presumably the data on the disk is then
not correct either.

To overcome this problem on the IDE system, I would like to turn off
write-behind caching for the Zip drive. Going to the drive properties,
there is a tick box for "Write cache enable". I can successfully turn
this off for the hard drives, but if I do so for the Zip drive, and then
display the properties again, the tick is on again: I can't seem to make
it stay off.

Does anyone here know how to disable write-behind caching properly for
an IDE Zip drive? I have installed IomegaWare, but it doesn't seem to
have made any difference.

Cheers
Tony
--