FIDONET garbage

1 view

Martin Gregorie

Aug 3, 2021, 6:51:07 AM8/3/21

This is addressed to whoever owns process thats syphoning off messages
from the NNTP network to Fidonet and immediately re-injecting them to the
NNTP:

- this wasn't a problem when it only happened once or twice, but now it
seems to be duplicating most messages posted to uk.comp.os.linux

- its your problem. You're causing it, so go away and fix it.

- Don't come back until you have fixed it.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Java Jive

Aug 3, 2021, 6:54:02 AM8/3/21
On 03/08/2021 11:51, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> This is addressed to whoever owns process thats syphoning off messages
> from the NNTP network to Fidonet and immediately re-injecting them to the
> NNTP:
>
> - this wasn't a problem when it only happened once or twice, but now it
> seems to be duplicating most messages posted to uk.comp.os.linux
>
> - its your problem. You're causing it, so go away and fix it.
>
> - Don't come back until you have fixed it.

I've sent two complaints now to a b u s e @ a i o e . o r g , others
may care to do the same.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Martin Gregorie

Theo

Aug 3, 2021, 7:53:38 AM8/3/21
Martin Gregorie <mar...@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> This is addressed to whoever owns process thats syphoning off messages
> from the NNTP network to Fidonet and immediately re-injecting them to the
> NNTP:
>
> - this wasn't a problem when it only happened once or twice, but now it
> seems to be duplicating most messages posted to uk.comp.os.linux
>
> - its your problem. You're causing it, so go away and fix it.
>
> - Don't come back until you have fixed it.

The Organization: says 'rbb soupgate', which might be these people:
https://www.fidonet.fi/doku.php?id=nntp:nntp
- worth a mail?

('soupgate' is the gateway software but I think RBB is the specific server)

Theo

Theo

Aug 3, 2021, 1:17:29 PM8/3/21

Spiros Bousbouras

Aug 4, 2021, 11:36:51 AM8/4/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 10:51:05 -0000 (UTC)
Martin Gregorie <mar...@mydomain.invalid> wrote:

> This is addressed to whoever owns process thats syphoning off messages
> from the NNTP network to Fidonet and immediately re-injecting them to the
> NNTP:
>
> - this wasn't a problem when it only happened once or twice, but now it
> seems to be duplicating most messages posted to uk.comp.os.linux
>
> - its your problem. You're causing it, so go away and fix it.
>
> - Don't come back until you have fixed it.

A few remarks :

1. From the moment it started , which I think was on 18 Jul 2021 when my
own <R+EiOUcg...@bongo-ra.co> was duplicated as
<18089...@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi> , I believe *every* message to the
group has been duplicated.

2. Who are you hoping will read your post ? If the person(s) responsible
for the problem read the group , then they already know it's happening.
Surely they already realise it's annoying so , either they don't care ,
or , more likely , they don't read the group in which case your post won't
do any good.

3. The situation raises a question of netiquette : normally test posts
are supposed to go to a group specifically for testing like alt.test .
But if one wants to test whether the issue persists for this group then
they would have to post to this group. So what does netiquette have to
say about this situation ?

--
Any sufficiently advanced brain damage is indistinguishable from trolling.

Spiros Bousbouras

Aug 4, 2021, 3:25:11 PM8/4/21
On 4 Aug 2021 15:36:48 -0000
Spiros Bousbouras <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few remarks :

Another thing : RFC 5537 says

An incoming gateway MUST add a Sender header field to the news
article it forms by containing the <mailbox> of the administrator of
the gateway. Problems with the gateway may be reported to this
<mailbox>. The <display-name> portion of this <mailbox> SHOULD
indicate that the entity responsible for injection of the message is
a gateway.

The duplicated messages from fidonet.fi violate this simple requirement.
Whatever else they do wrong , this isn't hard to meet.