SOT: Opening a command shell in ChromeOS and MacOS in a particular directory

Java Jive

Sep 12, 2021, 4:14:06 PM9/12/21
Previously, in the thread entitled ...
"while loop taking input from file via iconv"
... I asked the following question:

On 13/08/2021 20:28, Java Jive wrote:

> About this, I have another question. Some of my family use Macs, not
> Windows PCs. Am I right in thinking that, since recent versions of
> MacOS are Linux based, they should be able to run this shell script to
> achieve what those using Windows will be able to do with the BATch
> file?
>
> Do I have to give them any special instructions, for example how to
> get into a console?

I was told helpfully that MacOS is based on BSD rather than Linux, which
was encouraging because of the similarity between the two, but no
further information on this point came forth.

Now I've discovered that also some members of my family are using Chrome OS.

I tried searching for the information I want, detailed below, but the
hits yielded were too general to be of use, so I spent yesterday and the
early part of today creating VirtualBox installations of both. However,
even the open source Chromium OS wants me to sign in to Google, and to
do that I would have to give them my mobile phone number, which they
would then link to other things where that phone number has been used,
and just on principle, I'd rather not have them do that, particularly
for an investigation where once I've got the results, the builds that
yielded them would just be deleted anyway. The Mac OS VB endlessly
reboots, and from reading around it looks as though, even if I solve
that problem, I'd have to create an Apple account too, which again I
don't want to do.

All of which seems rather overkill for what I really want to know, which
is simply this, for each of these two OSs, what clear instructions
should I give to members of my family, who are in general NOT computer
literate, to have them open a command/terminal/shell window in a given
directory, to wit, the top directory of the Family History archive, so
that the instructions that follow can have them run a script there.

For Linux, I have: "<Right-Click> on the V1 'Family History' directory
containing the above two files in Thunar or whatever File Manager is in
use, and choose 'Open terminal here' or a similarly named option."

For Windows I have: "<Shift Right-Click> on the V1 'Family History'
directory containing the above two files, and choose 'Open command
window here'."

What would be the equivalents of these two instructions in Chrome OS and
Mac OS?

TIA for any help forthcoming.
--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Andy Burns

Sep 12, 2021, 4:38:30 PM9/12/21
Java Jive wrote:

> Now I've discovered that also some members of my family are using Chrome
> OS.

I've never handled a ChromeOS device, but old posts on reddit say you
can't get into a bash prompt without enabling developer mode.

Java Jive

Sep 12, 2021, 5:03:29 PM9/12/21
Oh shit! That certainly could make like difficult. I suppose they will
just have to upgrade by another method, I've given them four, so that
still leaves three others.

Martin Gregorie

Sep 12, 2021, 7:09:32 PM9/12/21
On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 21:13:54 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

> What would be the equivalents of these two instructions in Chrome OS and
> Mac OS?
>
> TIA for any help forthcoming.

Why not run a local web server, e.g Apache, which is a standard package
in almost every Linux distro? Its not particularly difficult to configure
and the help available via /usr/share pages and on their website is
pretty good.

Your options are to run a local copy (and beef up your firewall if you
didn't do that already), or to rent web service and storage space from
your ISP.

FWIW, I do both: I run a local Apache web server on my LAN. This is a
single, private local data source for my other computers. I export copies
of my publicly accessible web pages to rented space at my ISP. The
advantages of this are:

1) All public and private pages are edited, tested and backed up locally.

2) Public pages are exported to the publicly accessible website via
FTP/SFTP as they get updated.

3) My local firewall accepts NO inward connection requests and has no
need to, since all Internet access is via outward connections from
my LAN.

e-mail? I run 'getmail' to retrieve inbound mail from my mailbox at
my ISP. Outbound mail is passed to my ISP for onward transfer by a
local copy of Postfix

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org