Very simple file decryption.

Folderol

Feb 3, 2023, 1:38:22 PM2/3/23
What I'm after is a *desktop* program that will read a *specific* file and on
being given the correct password will decript it, passing it direct to a text
editor like kwrite, or better still a text reader that has no write capability.

The person who this is intended for will not need to do any of the encryption.

Any ideas?

--
Basic

Pancho

Feb 3, 2023, 5:40:15 PM2/3/23
In general, LibreOffice Writer allows you to load a text file and export
it to PDF format with password security.

My default Linux PDF reader, GNU Document Viewer, will open this
password-protected PDF file and prompt for a password, before displaying
the contents.

Of course, it all depends on the format and encryption of the *specific*
file.

Folderol

Feb 3, 2023, 6:47:06 PM2/3/23
Hadn't thought of a PDF, that looks promising and also enables a reasonable
large font size.

--
Basic

Raphael

Aug 31, 2023, 6:58:37 AM8/31/23
I use GPG

=== You ===

1 Generate a passphrase. I use a (sufficient) number of bytes from
/dev/random piped into uuencode or base64. Save this in a file
(passphrase.txt), and send it to the counterparty.

2 . Encrypt the file

gpg --output "some file name" --batch --passphrase-fd 0 \
-r "receipient's email address" -e "input file name" \
< passphrase.txt

3. Export the generated public key

gpg --export -a "recipient's email address" > public.key

Send the public key to the counterparty - separately from the passphrase

4. Send the encrypted file to the counterparty - separately from the
other two items.

=== Counterparty ===

5. Save and import public.key

gpg --import public.key

6. Decrypt the file using the received file. the saved passphrase and
the imported public key

gpg --decrypt --output "some file name" --batch \
--passphrase-fd 0 -r "recipient's email address" \
"received data file" < passphrase.txt

If you have more files to send then only steps 2,4 and 6 are needed.

The "recipient's email address" is used as an identifier to distinguish
between vaious key pairs that you might have.