Re: Trans OS X-Post: What do people do about obtaining non-shingled laptop drives? [Update]

1 view

Java Jive

Oct 19, 2023, 3:12:52 PM10/19/23
On 06/04/2023 16:02, Java Jive wrote:
> Please excuse the Linux/Windows crosspost, this is a question about HD
> hardware relevant to both OSs!
>
> I have a Dell Precision M6300 that is slowing down really badly, and I
> suspect, but have yet to prove, that the HD is failing.

But the rest of the thread showed that actually the HD was fine, and
that when I ran the Dell Diagnostic Tests, it showed that the CPU fan
was not working as expected.

I put the PC aside for a while, but then took it to bits and found that
the reason the fan was not working was that it had been disconnected,
presumably deliberately, because when I reconnected it, it was very
noisy. I swapped it for another slightly quieter one, and now the
laptop is working normally again.

> Of course, I could skip the shingles problem by going for an SSD, but
> have not really explored this up til now.  Experience and thoughts on
> that would be welcome too.

I bought 3 x Samsung EVO SSDs for that and my other two best PCs, and am
very pleased with the result, so thank you to those who recommended them.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk