Creative hostnames

Robert Hart

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.

Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

Robert

The Milkman

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
Robert Hart wrote:

I'm moving into a house with a load of fellow computing students and we have
decided to name our machines with titles from the songs by The Prodigy..

So we've got: VOODOO (main server - filestore, modem server, email), FIRE
(cdrom copying machine cos it "burns" things), JERICHO (workstation),
BREATHE (workstation), CHARLY (big bad dual CPU number crunching/rendering
server), CLIMBATIZE (workstation)., etc

Hostnames at our University go a bit like this: fileservers named after
space shuttles, proxy servers named after birds (eg. osprey, falcon, etc)
etc. Web servers after planets (eg. saturn, neptune). etc. etc. (somthing
like this,,, I think these are correct... not sure)

Personally I always like to start naming machines after planets.. but in a
big organisation like a university it makes sense to have the naming
conventions....

--

Rich.

|Richard Halfpenny "Rich" | BSc Computer Science Student (4 Years) |
|1st Year Undergraduate | University Of Bradford, England BD7 1DP |
|ric...@rocketmail.com http://www.student.comp.brad.ac.uk/~rhalfpen/ |
|DJ & Webmaster bloke at *RamAir* - The BEST UK student radio station!|
-------- Visit and listen to RamAir at http://www.ramairfm.co.uk ------

"It is I, Simon Quinlack, the chief
conductor of the bus that is called Hobby"

Robert Billing

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
The Milkman wrote:

> Personally I always like to start naming machines after planets.. but in a
> big organisation like a university it makes sense to have the naming
> conventions....

I've gone over to using Shakespeare, as you get a lot of names, some of
which fall naturally into groups.

192.168.0.2 falstaff A large machine with fat disks
192.168.0.3 antonio Dualtech
192.168.0.4 puck Toshiba Libretto Palmtop
192.168.1.2 peasblossom Virtual Win95 (VMWARE)
192.168.1.3 cobweb Virtual NT *
192.168.1.4 moth Virtual 3.1
192.168.1.5 mustardseed Virtual 98 *

* Don't exist, but the numbers are reserved.

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, inventor, traveller, cook and animal
lover, I live near 0:46W 51:22N. http://www.tnglwood.demon.co.uk/

Jonathan Baker-Bates

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Musicians. Everyone has their favourite, there's an inexhaustible supply,
and you can choose them to suit the machine's role (kinda).

We have copeland, czukay, garcia, etc.

JJ

Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

David Nutter

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
> drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

Mine are all named after South Park characters.

Cartman: Big fat ugly dual processor workstation
Chef: The fileserver, cos it "serves" things...
Kenny/Twobit[1]: Now a firewall and IPmasquerade box. It dies quite
often, usually in an interesting way, hence Kenny
Skuzzlebutt: My laptop. No particular reason for the name I just
liked the sound of it.

These are all running Debian "Slink" except Kenny who is still running
"Hamm", being only a poor 486en. Precise kernel versions differ
greatly. If I ever buy a new machine for whatever reason it shall be
called "Mephesto" (sp?).

Regards,

-david

[1] The second name is referring to the number of drill bits broken
when removing the case for the first time. Bloody Compaq design
policies... *mutter*

--
David Nutter | Pinhead affiliated...
HAIR TONICS, please!!

MJ Ray

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> writes:
[...]

> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

Well, I decided that our webserver and mailserver machine which would
spend all of its time talking to the outside world would be named
"rabbit" (rabbit, rabbit, talk, talk, etc). However, I'd forgotten
that the powers that be had stuck me with the subdomain "stu", so the
machine name became "rabbit.stu". I only noticed that when a friend
pointed it out to me, honest! The name got past the management
committee (with at least two vegetarians there), though.

Since then we've had veggie.stu, irish.stu, the DNUK-sponsored
beef.stu (serious power ;) ) and if the next few come along while I'm
still in power, I anticipate inner.stu (intranets) and lamb.stu.

The maths department's machines used to be in two groups named after
famous mathematicians and oceans but are now <manufacturer><number>
unfortunately. Computing used to be elements, but there have been
some that break that rule now (parsley?).

--
MJR
http://www.stu.uea.ac.uk/

Andrea Fuller

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Toledo, Jupiter, BayArea, Babylon5, StarWars, etc. We have loads of
interesting hostnames names at work but, as I am at home I cannot look,
and I cannot remember any more at the moment. Mine is boring - afuller.
I had run out of inspiration that day. ;-)

Andrea

In article <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>, Robert Hart

--
Andrea Fuller
Winchester, England

John Winters

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>,

Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
>drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
>names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
>hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
>Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

My main server is called "unseen" partly as a nod to Pratchett, but
mostly because it's hidden behind a desk. My firewall is called "xl5"
obviously.

John
--
John Winters. Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

Ian Briggs

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
John Winters wrote:
:My firewall is called "xl5" obviously.

Careful, John, you're giving your age away... :-)

Ian

Samuel Penn

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In message <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>
Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

At Edinburgh University, depending on which computer lab you
were in, either Edinburgh pubs, Scottish islands (trying to
remember how to spell these was fun), dogs (Scooby, Lady, Tramp),
cats (custard, tigger) and elements.

My own Linux box is called Wotan, Risc PC is Odin ad my Windows PC
is Alberich. My Windows PC at work is called Loki. Our sun solaris
server at work was going to be called Ra, but no-one was sure whether
a two letter hostname was allowed, so it became rara.

--
Be seeing you, http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/
Sam. ----- Roleplaying and Wargaming

Jon Plews

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99

Robert Hart wrote in message <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>...

>Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
>drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
>names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
>hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
>Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
>Robert

Not me, I use fish. I seem to have worrying propensity
toward those beginning with H (Hake, Halibut, Haddock).

Well, maybe it's not *that* worrying.

Jon Plews (dreading being quoted out of context).

Jonathan

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

I'm lumped with stuE123 for my machine (Uni given name), but the University
has several nameing convensions.
NT fileservers are castles - bodiam, drogo, corfe, knole (is that a castle?)
and UNIX boxes are birds - pelican, falcon, kiwi, stork, merlin (is that a
bird?)
There's also several other names dotted about the network: speke, ward,
wallace, gromit, toucan, scotney, aardvark, ant, aurora, minerva, chartwell,
lark and mercury, to name a few. I've no idea what half of them are!
But the majority of PC's accross campus have boring names like pcecp013 etc.

Jonathan.
--
On the sixth day, God created the platypus.
And God said "let's see the evolutionists try and figure this one out".

Iain Georgeson

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>, Robert Hart
<rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> writes

>Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/rfc/rfc2100.txt may be able to help:

The Naming of Hosts is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a host must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

First of all, there's the name that the users use daily,
Such as venus, athena, and cisco, and ames,
Such as titan or sirius, hobbes or europa--
All of them sensible everyday names.

There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the web pages, some for the flames:
Such as mercury, phoenix, orion, and charon--
But all of them sensible everyday names.

But I tell you, a host needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can it keep its home page perpendicular,
And spread out its data, send pages world wide?

Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Like lothlorien, pothole, or kobyashi-maru,
Such as pearly-gates.vatican, or else diplomatic-
Names that never belong to more than one host.

But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE NAMESERVER KNOWS, and will us'ually confess.

When you notice a client in rapt meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
The code is engaged in a deep consultation
On the address, the address, the address of its name:

It's ineffable,
effable,
Effanineffable,
Deep and inscrutable,
singular
Name.

Iain.
--
The Linux kernel has actually not changed at all since January, '94. Linus
just increments "version.c" once every 48 hours and unleashes the "change"

Anthony Clarke

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
My computers have names from the blackadder series,

so there's blackadder, george, darling and possibilities for
melchet, bob, queenie etc. etc.

Anthony,

Matthew Malthouse

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <7h47ip$mmb$1...@polo.demon.co.uk>,
jo...@polo.demon.co.uk (John Winters) wrote:

} My main server is called "unseen" partly as a nod to Pratchett, but

} mostly because it's hidden behind a desk. My firewall is called "xl5"
} obviously.

what about "f451" ?

Matthew

--
"Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto"
http://www.calmeilles.demon.co.uk/index.html

Matthew Malthouse

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <48FF8AF0B1%s...@bifrost.demon.co.uk>,
Samuel Penn <s...@bifrost.demon.co.uk> wrote:

} My own Linux box is called Wotan, Risc PC is Odin ad my Windows PC
} is Alberich. My Windows PC at work is called Loki. Our sun solaris
} server at work was going to be called Ra, but no-one was sure whether
} a two letter hostname was allowed, so it became rara.

Dunno about SSol, but "al" worked on linux.

"Bong" for the newsserver, gowan, work it out...

Chris Wilson

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Just to add a little more noise...

Around me I have members of the Magic Roundabout, atm Zebedee, Dougal,
Florence and Brian. (In the speck of my eye are Mr Rusty and Emertrude.
Can anyone remember any more of the characters?)
The tiny cluster is boringly called the Hive (predictable, I know. :-(

The computers at my Dad's surgery we named after Thomas the Tank Engine,
with the Big Fat Controller being the server, obviously. Additionally,
the Doctors' computers were named after the engines, whereas the nurses
were named after the carriages and the receptionists ended up with all
the miscellaneous vehicles.
--
Chris Wilson - spam to bit.b...@dev.null
Dougal: 2.2.5 Up: 14 days 17:32 eth0 Rx: 728MiB

Paul Grayson

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99

> Personally I always like to start naming machines after planets.. but in a
> big organisation like a university it makes sense to have the naming
> conventions....

I used to deal with a now almost obsolete NOS under which it was
exceedingly difficult to rename a file server, since it took a competant
person a whole weekend and a spare server to perform the task. We tried
to explain to customers never to name the severs after the company name
or location since either could, and often would, change. We had one site
with 3 servers called London-N, all based in Reading; and one customer
with a server called Exeter based in Plymouth, and a server called
Plymouth based in Exeter!

The manufacturers recommended naming servers after inanimate objects,
such as their example of trees. I can site servers named after poets,
planets and philosphers. One customer even named servers after Captain
Pugwash characters.

The worst cases I came across were cryptic 11 character names based on
departments that no-one could remember (it was part of the civil
service), or on site that used names ranging from Server_A to Server_S.

My linux box is currently called shippo, named after a now gone football
club mascot.

C. Newport

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Robert Hart (rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation

: drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
: names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
: hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.

: Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

Mine are a varied bunch :- more on a whim than with a plan.

hek Linux masquerading router - can anyone figure out why ?
linus Linux workstation - how original can you get ?
icarus Ultra5
sol Solaris X86
tosh A portable
mercury Solaris X86 partition on tosh
scone Open server 5
boaz Ruth's workstation
dosser An ancient 386

Neil de Carteret

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Jonathan wrote:
> I'm lumped with stuE123 for my machine (Uni given name), but the University
> has several nameing convensions.

One of our campus workstation rooms used to full of Sparcs, and thus was
known colloquially as the Sun Lounge (it's been done before, I'm sure). Down
the corridor was similar room known as the Solarium. The Sun Lounge machines
were all named after herbs - dill, borage, parsely etc., and the Solarium
was named after states of mind - happy, sloth, ennui etc.

Anyway, this year the Sun Longe was gutted and refurbished with NT PCs, so
we all have to sit there Exceeding into the teaching servers to get any work
done. Stupidly, the machine names have all been changed to
'pcsl-something-something' to fit in with the campus-wide naming
conventions, thus preserving the now meaningless 'sun lounge' appelation.
Still, it can be slightly amusing to sit at a machine called pcslap or
pcslag.

My own box is known to itself as airwall. *If* I had a network, the other
machines would be shockwave, tremor, etc.

Neil de C.

Paul Wright

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <slrn7jbjjl...@adm36.joh.cam.ac.uk>,
Andrew McDonald <ad...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
>I'm stuck with my user id for my machine due to the naming rules here
>at St. John's when I originally applied for my IP address (although
>this is clearly in contravention of RFC 1178).

How do they feel about aliases? ISTR the Cambridge Debian contingent
used to dish them out. I don't know whether this is still true.

>Since personal machines here are under college subdomains this can
>lead to some fun with naming.
>The best available at John's is probably ban.joh. Selwyn provides some
>of the best names - dura.sel, padded.sel, voltaic.sel, single.sel,
>brain.sel, pick.sel, etc. Peterhouse provides mup.pet. Clare gives us
>intensive.clare.

Churchill had a vague tradition of naming them after the moons of
planets. But it wasn't universally followed. Someone had fuman.chu at
one stage, I think. I vaguely considered ah.chu before deciding it
was too silly. Various people gave them long names like aspidistra or
koyaanisquatsi (means "strange and unusual lifestyle" apparently), for
similar reasons to Douglas Adams' reason for naming Slartibartfast as he
did.

Other possibilties, depending on the number of machines:
Hindu deities (my summer job)
Archangels
Dragons (workgroup at work)
Inevitable sci-fi references (anywhere two or three geeks are gathered
together).

--
----- Paul Wright ------| If all is not lost, where is it?
-paul_...@pobox.com--|

Matthew Malthouse

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <Y$L+QpAqu...@kremlinux.demon.co.uk>,
Iain Georgeson <ia...@kremlinux.demon.co.uk> wrote:

LOL

} But THE NAMESERVER KNOWS, and will us'ually confess.

Well, sometimes. :)

The Milkman

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99

Paul Grayson wrote:

> <snip>

> I used to deal with a now almost obsolete NOS under which it was
> exceedingly difficult to rename a file server

And what was the name of the obsolete OS? It would be interesting to find out..

Richard Letts

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
> drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

names people use to access the machines are boring:
whitworth-A, newton-1, etc

names which people use to access services are simple:
mail.salford.ac.uk, post.salford.ac.uk, etc

names which we use ourselves are lumps of rock:
big systems: gods
little systems: jupiter's lovers

At home I have the Lamps of the Valar, ormal being my laptop :-)

RjL

Keith Sharp

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
The Milkman <ric...@rocketmail.com> writes:

> Robert Hart wrote:
>
> > Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
> > drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> > names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> > hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
> >
> > Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
> >

> > Robert
>
> I'm moving into a house with a load of fellow computing students and we have
> decided to name our machines with titles from the songs by The Prodigy..
>
> So we've got: VOODOO (main server - filestore, modem server, email), FIRE
> (cdrom copying machine cos it "burns" things), JERICHO (workstation),
> BREATHE (workstation), CHARLY (big bad dual CPU number crunching/rendering
> server), CLIMBATIZE (workstation)., etc
>
> Hostnames at our University go a bit like this: fileservers named after
> space shuttles, proxy servers named after birds (eg. osprey, falcon, etc)
> etc. Web servers after planets (eg. saturn, neptune). etc. etc. (somthing
> like this,,, I think these are correct... not sure)

Well at work we go for: workstations are named after islands, servers from
Greek mythology, routers and switches after train stations, and print
servers after rivers.

Keith.

Andrew McDonald

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
On 9 May 1999 21:58:53 +0100,

Paul Wright <paul-...@verence.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <slrn7jbjjl...@adm36.joh.cam.ac.uk>,
> Andrew McDonald <ad...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >I'm stuck with my user id for my machine due to the naming rules here
> >at St. John's when I originally applied for my IP address (although
> >this is clearly in contravention of RFC 1178).
>
> How do they feel about aliases? ISTR the Cambridge Debian contingent
> used to dish them out. I don't know whether this is still true.

I think the official view is that these are reluctantly tolerated.
But I think that was after Ian said that he wouldn't remove CNAMEs
even if requested by the machines owners, so there was little they
could do about it.
ucam.org is alive and well, but I've never bothered getting an
additional alias myself. I think ucam-student-run.culture.dotat.at,
or whatever it is, still exists too.

Andrew
--
Andrew McDonald
andrew at mcdonald.org.uk
http://ban.joh.cam.ac.uk/~adm36/

Jonathan A. Buzzard

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <7h4go6$oro$1...@spruce.ukc.ac.uk>,

"Jonathan" <jonatha...@hotmail.com> writes:
> Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
> I'm lumped with stuE123 for my machine (Uni given name), but the University
> has several nameing convensions.
> NT fileservers are castles - bodiam, drogo, corfe, knole (is that a castle?)
> and UNIX boxes are birds - pelican, falcon, kiwi, stork, merlin (is that a
> bird?)

Yep, a Merlin is a bird of prey, smallest of the British falcons. However
they are scare residents or summer vistors.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: j...@hex.prestel.co.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44(0)1661-832195

Jonathan A. Buzzard

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>,

Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

I use names from Greek mythology for the machines at work. Mostly Gods,
but a few other characters thrown in for good measure. I could not
resist Cerberus for the firewall for example, and Zeus is always good
for a file server.

The worst thing you can do is use people's names, and if you have lots
of machines a fixed scheme with an abbreviation for a department followed
by a number becomes much more managable.

I always find it useful to put a label bearing the name of the machine
on the monitor.

Michael McConnell

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
On 9 May 1999, John Winters wrote:

> In article <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>,

> Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
> >drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> >names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> >hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
> >

> >Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>

> My main server is called "unseen" partly as a nod to Pratchett, but
> mostly because it's hidden behind a desk. My firewall is called "xl5"
> obviously.

My machine is known to the Net as Eridani (ST and B5 reference in there).
Internally, I have:
192.168.96.1 Zeskia ; Long-standing joke with my gf ;)
192.168.96.2 dustball ; Almost disused 486DX2/66
192.168.96.3 escargot ; My 386DX40. Also gathering dust.
192.168.96.4 startledcat ; Reserved for my new, fast machine.
192.168.96.254 lagbox ; What else do you call an 8086 being used as a
print server? ;)

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System -- The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: rhl...@amush.cx http://www.amush.cx/linux/ Fax: +44-8701-600807

MJ Ray

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
"Jon Plews" <jonp...@dial.pipex.com> writes:

> Jon Plews (dreading being quoted out of context).

Why? It's not like it's sigfile fodder or anything...

--
MJR
--

"Not me, I use fish. I seem to have worrying propensity

toward those beginning with H" --- Jon Plews

MJ Ray

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Does anyone else find site-wide naming conventions that look like
they're computer-generated offensive? Can we outlaw this practice as
cruel to (us|the machines)?

MJ Ray

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Chris Wilson <cp...@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Can anyone remember any more of the characters?)

Dylan and the train are the only ones that come to mind. And wasn't
it Ermintrude? Where's »Zen and the Art of Roundabout Maintenance«
when you need it?

Aquarius

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Robert Hart spoo'd forth the following:

>Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

I seem to remember ucc.edu having a server called osaycan :-)

Aq.

aqua...@kryogenix.albatross.co.uk
http://www.kryogenix.albatross.co.uk/
"Gibberish is unintelligible sounds. Even Aq, on a
bad day, does better than that." -- Zubrette, afe

Jon Plews

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99

MJ Ray wrote in message <87ogjtn...@optiplex.localdomain>...

Shit, it does look good as a .sig doesn't it? It would
look better either without my name or with the context-
dread quote in though :-)

Jon Plews.

Dr Alun Moon

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Robert Hart wrote:

> Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
> drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
> Robert

I can play around with my machine at home as it's not connected to anything,

Currently it thinks it is

lunar.terra.sol

Unimaginative, I'm looking for a better pun...
Dr Alun Moon Regional Centre for Innovation in Engineering Design
tel: +44(191) 222 5306 Bruce Building, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
fax: +44(191) 222 5833 NE1 7RU

Paul Grayson

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
The Milkman wrote:

> Paul Grayson wrote:
>
> > <snip>
> > I used to deal with a now almost obsolete NOS under which it was
> > exceedingly difficult to rename a file server
>
> And what was the name of the obsolete OS? It would be interesting to find out..

Banyan VINES.

Although it can still be purchased, it has been 8 months since any
maintenance updates (in its heyday there was a new patch released almost
daily), and Banyan themselves have sold-out to Microsoft, offering plans
to move^H^H^H^H downgrade to NT to all customers.

Carl Windsor

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Robert Hart wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

I have just done a "host -l " on my university domain and can
equivocably say "no". God there are some boring people at our
uni :)

Our domain is named after Rusholmes finest, balti, bhuna, tikka,
korma, karahi, vindalo (sic), madras.

We also have a 44 proc machine which we call cerberus after the 2 headed
dog that guards the gates of Hades....quite apt as this is the machine I
do most of my work on :)

Other domains in the uni seem to be named after:

Cars: Vauxhall, cosworth, lambourgini, capri
Painters: kandinsky, monet, dali
Places in the Lake District: Kendal, keswick, coniston, penrith
Characters from sesame street: ernie, grover, oscar
Precious stones: diamond, ruby, saphire, opal, quartz
Characters from the Muppets: kermit, piggy, zoot, fozzie, animal, zoot,
gonzo

But 99% are along the lines of

pc001, pc002, pc003 .....
pc_cluster_001 .....
mark, julie, john, barry ....
admin1, admin2, admin3
windows, linux, winNT, riscos, unix, dos

Yawn
|E-mail for life: carl.w...@bigfoot.com |
|Carl Mark Windsor - Ph.D Student in Computational Chemistry, |
| University of Manchester, |
| Oxford Road, |
| Manchester. |
|"Do...or do not, there is no try" Yoda, Jedi Master |

Jim Farrand

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
David Nutter wrote:

> Mine are all named after South Park characters.

Hey! That was my idea! :-)

--
___ __
_)im@(-arrand.(\)et

Jim Farrand

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Robert Hart wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

Well, me and my housemates have a LAN, and the boxes are all named after
South Park characters. (Cartman, Kyle, Kenny, Mephesto...)

One of my friends has a similar set up, but they are named after brands
of beer.

At Uni the Unix lab computers are named after Roman emporers.

Richard Cohen

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
On Mon, 10 May 1999 08:23:45 GMT, Jim Farrand <j...@farrand.net> wrote:
>Robert Hart wrote:
>
>> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
>Well, me and my housemates have a LAN, and the boxes are all named after
>South Park characters. (Cartman, Kyle, Kenny, Mephesto...)
>
>One of my friends has a similar set up, but they are named after brands
>of beer.
>
>At Uni the Unix lab computers are named after Roman emporers.

Home network:
eddie (running as an X-term) - from Hitch-Hikers Guide
bigboy - server
bigblue - an *old* PS/2
coredump - test machine
octarine - Discworld reference
george - my machine, I had to think of a random name when I got it...
deepthought - another Hitch-Hikers fan
palm - assigned IP for my PalmIIIx
kernel-panic - another test box

Work machines:
scoplus4 (and any other word with sco in it)
pestle
wool
weasel
begbie (and other Trainspotting names)
tyne (and other rivers)

Uni machines (Liverpool Comp. Sci.):
world rivers (jordan, danube, amazon...) - student machines
seas of the moon (tranquility...) - staff machines
oceans (atlantic, pacific...) - file servers

Cheers
Richard

James Fidell

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Oh well, might as well join the thread...

When I was working at Netcom we named one group of hosts after Arthurian
characters; another after the seven deadly sins (not too scalable, that
one :) and another after breweries.

Others I've used in the past are curries and indian dishes and characters
from books, but I vetoed the names of the '66 England world cup squad.

James.
--
"Yield to temptation -- | Consultancy: ja...@cloud9.co.uk
it may not pass your way again" | http://www.cloud9.co.uk/james

- Lazarus Long | James Fidell

David Damerell

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Andrew McDonald <ad...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>Paul Wright <paul-...@verence.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Andrew McDonald <ad...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>>I'm stuck with my user id for my machine due to the naming rules here
>>>at St. John's when I originally applied for my IP address (although
>>>this is clearly in contravention of RFC 1178).
>>How do they feel about aliases? ISTR the Cambridge Debian contingent
>>used to dish them out. I don't know whether this is still true.
>I think the official view is that these are reluctantly tolerated.
>But I think that was after Ian said that he wouldn't remove CNAMEs
>even if requested by the machines owners,

_if_ he felt the request was made not because the owner wanted it removed,
but because of pressure from the CS. Basically, it was intended to give
the owner of a machine with a ucam.org address plausible deniability;
"look, I asked Ian to remove me and he wouldn't".

My personal favourite is oh.jesus.cam.ac.uk.
--
David/Kirsty Damerell. dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk
CUWoCS President. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/ Hail Eris!
| | | Solace of Our Goddess when She was Confronted with The Original Snub.

lo...@my.sig

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In his obvious haste, Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> babbled thusly:
: Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation

: drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
: names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
: hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.

: Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

Here at Keele, we have Frodo, bilbo and sam...

I've called my personal linux box Rincewind...
:)
|u5...@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk|in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| Andrew Halliwell |Consider how lucky you are that life has been |
| Finalist in:- |good to you so far... |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+ w-- M+/++|
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire|

lo...@my.sig

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In his obvious haste, Jonathan <jonatha...@hotmail.com> babbled thusly:
: NT fileservers are castles - bodiam, drogo, corfe, knole (is that a castle?)

: and UNIX boxes are birds - pelican, falcon, kiwi, stork, merlin (is that a
: bird?)

Small bird of prey, IIRC.

: There's also several other names dotted about the network: speke,

Place near Liverpool

ward,

Part of a hospital, or area in UK elections???

: wallace, gromit,

You must know these.

: toucan,

Errr... That's a bird.

: scotney,

<shrug>

: aardvark,

Anteater.

: aurora,

Lights in the sky above the poles.

: minerva,

A godess... Wisdom???

chartwell,

<shrug>

: lark

Another bird.

and mercury,

Runny metal.
:)

: to name a few. I've no idea what half of them are!

You do now.
|u5...@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk| "Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?" |
| Andrew Halliwell | |
| Finalist in:- | "I think so brain, but this time, you control |

|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+ w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

lo...@my.sig

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In his obvious haste, Chris Wilson <cp...@cam.ac.uk> babbled thusly:
: Just to add a little more noise...

: Around me I have members of the Magic Roundabout, atm Zebedee, Dougal,
: Florence and Brian. (In the speck of my eye are Mr Rusty and Emertrude.
: Can anyone remember any more of the characters?)

Well... There was Buxton, the blue cat.
(from the feature length episode called "Dougal and the Blue cat"...)
A must see, if you've not seen it yet.

There was also Dillon (the stoned rabbit). How could anyone forget him?

|u5...@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk|in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| Andrew Halliwell |Consider how lucky you are that life has been |
| Finalist in:- |good to you so far... |

lo...@my.sig

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In his obvious haste, Iain A F Fleming <ia...@spider.com> babbled thusly:
: The Linux laptop is kororaa (the smallest penguin), up to Emperor (an old
: PERQ running PNX), and Jackass (which was my old AT&t 3B1). The Suns are
: Gentoo and Adelie. The old Whitehchapels were Magelanic and Chinstrap, but
: they've since left home.

Hows about naming the next new one "Feathers-McGraw"?

Ronny Adsetts

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Robert Hart wrote in message <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>...

>Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
>drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
>names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
>hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
>Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
>Robert

Where I used to work, we had characters from Only Fools and Horses: dell;
rodney; trigger; and Rodneys Wife who's name eludes me at the moment. You
may have noticed that dell has two l's, well that was how it started - no
imagination, the machine was a Dell!

My slowly growing home network has hosts named after 'heroes' from Sci-Fi
books: arthur (Hitch Hikers) and jettero (Mission Earth). I'm still trying
to decide the name of the next machine, which will be a Linux fileserver.
Ideas welcome.

TTFN,
Ronny

lo...@my.sig

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In his obvious haste, Ronny Adsetts <ronny....@btinternet.com> babbled thusly:
: My slowly growing home network has hosts named after 'heroes' from Sci-Fi

: books: arthur (Hitch Hikers) and jettero (Mission Earth). I'm still trying
: to decide the name of the next machine, which will be a Linux fileserver.
: Ideas welcome.

How about "Wowbagger the infinately prolonged"?
:)
|u5...@teach.cs.keele.ac.uk| Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a |
| Andrew Halliwell | operating system originally coded for a 4 bit |
| Finalist in:- |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |

Ronny Adsetts

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
lo...@my.sig wrote in message <7h71pr$hvj$1...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk>...

>In his obvious haste, Ronny Adsetts <ronny....@btinternet.com> babbled
thusly:
>: My slowly growing home network has hosts named after 'heroes' from Sci-Fi
>: books: arthur (Hitch Hikers) and jettero (Mission Earth). I'm still
trying
>: to decide the name of the next machine, which will be a Linux fileserver.
>: Ideas welcome.
>
>How about "Wowbagger the infinately prolonged"?
>:)

Pratchet I assume? (not read any ... yet!) I thought of using 'Jonny Goodboy
Tyler' but the thought of typing 'ping jonny-goo....' made me go dizzy just
with the thought of the effort involved!!

David Nutter

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Jim Farrand <j...@farrand.net> writes:

> David Nutter wrote:

> Hey! That was my idea! :-)

Eh! I kick you in the *nuts* :)

I shouldn't think our respective LANs will ever meet though...

Regards,

-david

--
David Nutter | Pinhead affiliated...
Quick, sing me the BUDAPEST NATIONAL ANTHEM!!

Simeon

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99

<lo...@my.sig> wrote in message news:7h6tnb$mud$6...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk...

> In his obvious haste, Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> babbled
thusly:
> : Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation

> : drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> : names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> : hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
> : Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
> Here at Keele, we have Frodo, bilbo and sam...

Hmm, here's writing from Gandalf, to be processed by the mail/newsserver
(Gollum). Frodo looks after my father's work, and Bilbo is currently
unattached from the LAN.

Simeon (hoping the formatting will work today)

Matthew Malthouse

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In article <7h71pr$hvj$1...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk>,
lo...@my.sig wrote:

} How about "Wowbagger the infinately prolonged"?

Ha! That should be reserved for the "upgrade" nws server for which I have
been begging for the last 2.5 years.

Had one sex of Linux boxen named for characters in "Citizen Smith" - the
sysadmin of the moment showing his age. :)

Matthew

--
"Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto"
http://www.calmeilles.demon.co.uk/index.html

Iain Georgeson

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
In article <slrn7jdprk...@nodonn.cloud9.co.uk>, James Fidell
<ja...@cloud9.co.uk> writes

>Oh well, might as well join the thread...

Indeed. Whatthahell.;)

Bob knows why I've still got these zone files - I'm the only one on the
network at the moment. But there you go...

;
; /var/named/elv-net.hosts
;
;
; Origin is elv.net

@ IN SOA anchovy hostmaster (
1999032600
86400 ; refresh: 1 day
3600 ; retry: 1 hour
3600000 ; expire: 42 days
604800 ; minimum: 1 week
)
NS ns
MX 10 mail
TXT "One word: Walrus"

mongoose A 192.168.14.11
HINFO INTEL-386 WIN32
TXT "Have that, you dog!"
RP paul.moose mongoose
MX 10 moose

moose A 192.168.42.1
HINFO INTEL-386 LINUX
TXT "Moose. Making lard for Elvet since
yesterday"
RP stu.moose moose
WKS 192.168.42.1 UDP SUNRPC BIFF TALK
NTALK
WKS 192.168.42.1 TCP ECHO DISCARD
SYSTAT DAYTIME NETSTAT CHARGEN FTP TELNET SMTP TIME FINGER POP3 SUNRPC
AUTH IMAP2
lard CNAME moose

flood A 192.168.42.11
HINFO INTEL-386 WIN32
TXT "Good album, SysVinit?"
RP stu.moose flood
WKS 192.168.42.11 UDP TALK
MX 10 mail
JIM CNAME flood

anchovy A 192.168.69.1
HINFO INTEL-386 LINUX
TXT "Anchovy, the .Sigaquarium, Elvet."
RP hostmaster.anchovy anchovy
WKS 192.168.69.1 UDP SUNRPC DOMAIN
NTALK TALK SYSLOG WHO BIFF
WKS 192.168.69.1 TCP IMAP2 NNTP AUTH
SUNRPC POP3 FINGER DOMAIN TIME SMTP TELNET FTP CHARGEN QOTD NETSTAT
DAYTIME SYSTAT DISCARD ECHO SHELL LOGIN

mail A 192.168.69.1
ns A 192.168.69.1
rootns A 192.168.69.1
hack A 192.168.69.1
services A 192.168.69.1
ftp CNAME services
www CNAME services
acmhost CNAME services
news CNAME services
nntphost CNAME services
nntptoaster CNAME services
nntpheffalump CNAME services
heffalump CNAME services
syslog CNAME services
ongar CNAME services
imaphost CNAME mail
imaptoaster CNAME mail
smtphost CNAME mail
smtptoaster CNAME mail
pop3host CNAME mail
pop3toaster CNAME mail

quit CNAME Use-exit-you-lardmonster
Use-exit-you-lardmonster A 127.0.0.1

localhost A 127.0.0.1

As you may have guessed - I was bored. And while I'm at it.

;
; /var/named/root.hosts
;
; Hack to stop Netscape wingeing.
;
; Origin is .

@ IN SOA anchovy.elv.net. hostmaster.elv.net. (
1999011001
360000 ; refresh: 100 hrs
3600 ; retry: 1 hour
3600000 ; expire: 42 days
360000 ; minimum: 4 days
)
NS ns.elv.net.

www.durge.org CNAME hack.elv.net

www.papercourt.org.uk CNAME hack.elv.net

internic.net CNAME hack.elv.net

help.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home4.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home6.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home7.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home8.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home10.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home11.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home13.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home17.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home24.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home25.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home26.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net
home27.netscape.com CNAME hack.elv.net

The joys of Linux and a spare named... ;)

Iain.
--
The Linux kernel has actually not changed at all since January, '94. Linus
just increments "version.c" once every 48 hours and unleashes the "change"
on an unsuspecting Internet, bringing FTP servers to their knees.
-- Seen on linux-kernel

Robert Hart

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
MJ Ray wrote:

> Does anyone else find site-wide naming conventions that look like
> they're computer-generated offensive? Can we outlaw this practice as
> cruel to (us|the machines)?

The problem is they can get really convoluted. Trying to remember if it
is hash squiggle, or squiggle hash...

It gets worse when they start messing with "-"'s and "_"'s.

Going back to the machine at work; if I could, I would rename it to
grandma - 'cos its about 10 years old and always seems to take ill when
I want to go on holiday!

Robert

Ian Rutson

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
Robert,

Hmm.. when I was there some of the names were going. Two points:

1. How does 'muser' fit into the naming pattern
2. Are the creatively named sparcs still there? ccw201, ccw202 etc..

Personally, my machines are called after Teletubbies:

Server: Homehill
Main w/station: Dipsy
Print server: Po
Spare box Lala
CD Player Tinkywinky

Computer at office that sometimes comes home to play: Noonoo

Ian Rutson Elland, Nr Halifax
i...@rutson.freeserve.co.uk West Yorkshire
Tel: (01422) 377 183 Fax: (01422) 377 931
The Milkman <ric...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> Robert Hart wrote:
> Hostnames at our University go a bit like this: fileservers named after
> space shuttles, proxy servers named after birds (eg. osprey, falcon, etc)
> etc. Web servers after planets (eg. saturn, neptune). etc. etc. (somthing
> like this,,, I think these are correct... not sure)

Paul Martin

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
In article <m37lqiv...@passback.demon.co.uk>, Keith Sharp wrote:

>Well at work we go for: workstations are named after islands, servers from
>Greek mythology, routers and switches after train stations, and print
>servers after rivers.

Similar here. The Lerwick office has mainly island names for all the
machines, the NOC has mainly rivers in the Greater Manchester A-Z, and
railway/tram stations, tech support currently have a Snow White (server)
and the seven dwarves (workstations) theme, with a few odd names around --
eg. my workstations are thingy and dunno.

- What's your workstation called?
- Dunno.
- But it's *your* workstation. What did you call it?
- Dunno.
- Surely you must know the name of your own workstation?
- Dunno.
etc. etc.
--
Paul Martin <p...@zetnet.net>
at home, swap dash to dot to email.

Tony Mountifield

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
MJ Ray <h0...@mth.uea.ac.uk> wrote:

> Chris Wilson <cp...@cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > Can anyone remember any more of the characters?)
>
> Dylan and the train are the only ones that come to mind.

And Mr McHenry (sp?)

> And wasn't it Ermintrude?

Yes, it was. When Demon Internet were young, they had a router called
"cow", originally meaning "centre of world". A while later it was
replaced by a pair of routers, and "cow" became "ermin" and "trude".

Cheers,
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Email: to...@softins.clara.co.uk

David Nutter

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
p...@nowster-zetnet.co.uk (Paul Martin) writes:

> Similar here. The Lerwick office has mainly island names for all the
> machines, the NOC has mainly rivers in the Greater Manchester A-Z, and
> railway/tram stations, tech support currently have a Snow White (server)
> and the seven dwarves (workstations) theme, with a few odd names around --
> eg. my workstations are thingy and dunno.

<snip>

Perhaps someone should name their machines after London tube
stations. Then we can use the diagram to play Mornington Crescent...

Regards,

-david

--
David Nutter | Pinhead affiliated...

After this, I'm going to BURN some RUBBER!!

Jim Farrand

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
David Nutter wrote:

> > Hey! That was my idea! :-)
> Eh! I kick you in the *nuts* :)

Screw you guys... I'm goin 'home!

ObLinux:

What should I set my domain name to? At the moment it set to
south.park, but should I set it the same as my ISP? (cartman.bris.ac.uk
isn't nearly as good as cartman.south.park.)

Matt Sergeant

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
Robert Hart wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

This is a kinda funny thread, so I add my 2p to the barrel...

Mine are named after comedy TV characters, primarily Father Ted and The
Young Ones...

dougal
ted
jack
vivian
neil
rick
mike

... Sad, but it keeps me amused... jack shouts "Feck!" on logon...

--
<Matt email="mser...@ndirect.co.uk" />

| Fastnet Software Ltd | Perl in Active Server Pages |
| Perl Consultancy, Web Development | Database Design | XML |
| http://come.to/fastnet | Information Consolidation |

Robert Billing

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
Jim Farrand wrote:

> What should I set my domain name to? At the moment it set to
> south.park, but should I set it the same as my ISP? (cartman.bris.ac.uk
> isn't nearly as good as cartman.south.park.)

I've been experimenting here. The new setup (alternative boot, not in
service yet) has this machine as falstaff.tanglewood and my laptops as
antonio.tanglewood and puck.tanglewood, and the VMware virtual 95 as
peasblossom.tanglewood. My ISP expects me to be tnglwood.demon.co.uk.
Apart from having to set the host name explicitly for sendmail, I
haven't had any problems.

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, inventor, traveller, cook and animal
lover, I live near 0:46W 51:22N. http://www.tnglwood.demon.co.uk/
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
phasers on the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three"

Robin Stevens

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in uk.comp.os.linux:
> My personal favourite is oh.jesus.cam.ac.uk.

I know its owner - he was very pleased to get that one past TPTB :-)

In my department we have alpha stars for Alpha workstations, and Scottish
islands (a popular choice for names it seems) for PCs/X terminals. Some of
the names get quite obscure, eg Zubenelgenubi, Bubblybuss, Barrelofbutter
and my own workstation Mucklegreenholm. I'm pleased to have managed to see
the last two in Orkney last summer, but I've yet to locate Bubblybuss on a
map.

My IBM laptop is little-blue, referencing both its manufacturer and
a song title, while I'm posting from a server named after the college's
founder, Walter de Merton.

But at least among hosts in Oxford, Maths must win on the grounds of sheer
surreality, with the "vegetable-emotion" series (recently mentioned in New
Scientist):
cabbage-fear, potato-shock, tomato-drive, broccoli-war, onion-enigma,
pea-virtue, mushroom-love, pepper-glee, courgette-rage, pumpkin-anger,
jicama-boast, fennel-faith

--
-------------------- Robin Stevens <re...@astro.ox.ac.uk> --------------------
Astrophysics, University of Oxford http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~rejs/

s...@remove.drogna.spam.force9.co.uk

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
Iain Georgeson <ia...@kremlinux.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <slrn7jdprk...@nodonn.cloud9.co.uk>, James Fidell
> <ja...@cloud9.co.uk> writes
>>Oh well, might as well join the thread...

> Indeed. Whatthahell.;)

> Bob knows why I've still got these zone files - I'm the only one on the
> network at the moment. But there you go...

[Hosts files]
I recognise those. In fact I still use a bastardised form of them. These
days there's actually a few more machines on my version of elv.net.

moose - My workstation
riffraff - nntp, pop3 and http srver, and masquerading dialer
flood - moose in windows
weevil - My housemate's linux box
mongoose - His box in windows
freezer - a visiting laptop, also known as booboo
tilda - My girlfriend's laptop
romana - My girlfriend's 486, and first machine on my new naming scheme
(Dr Who's assistants)

Oh and I'm also going to build a beowulf cluster called wintermute some
time in the summer, while a friend of mine builds it's partner, called
neuromancer.

Stu
--
From the prompt of Stu Teasdale

You will visit the Dung Pits of Glive soon.

MJ Ray

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
j...@hex.prestel.co.uk (Jonathan A. Buzzard) writes:

> The worst thing you can do is use people's names, and if you have lots
> of machines a fixed scheme with an abbreviation for a department followed
> by a number becomes much more managable.

Aren't subdomains ideal for indicating departments? Then the machines
can have their dignity back and have proper names. If you want to
number them, use the dotted quads.

--
MJR
http://www.stu.uea.ac.uk/
http://stats.mth.uea.ac.uk/ http://www.anglian.lug.org.uk/

Matthew Malthouse

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
In article <373740E0...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>,
Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote:

} It gets worse when they start messing with "-"'s and "_"'s.

/scream/ DNS and EtherShare... Had scads of hosts with "_" in their name
only to discover that new and upgraded systems wouldn't accept that, only
"-".

Can't remember which bit was most at fault, must confes to burying my head
in the sand at the time and waiting until someone else fixed it. :/

Alex Butcher

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
On 10 May 1999 14:04:36 GMT, James Fidell <ja...@cloud9.co.uk> wrote:
>Oh well, might as well join the thread...
>
>When I was working at Netcom we named one group of hosts after Arthurian
>characters;

But how *did* you spell the name of the Arthur's wizard mentor?

Myrddin or Merlin?

> - Lazarus Long | James Fidell

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Using Linux since '95 - because windows are too easy to break.
Berkshire, UK URLBLAST:slashdot.org:www.freshmeat.net:www.dejanews.com:

Michael McConnell

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
On Tue, 11 May 1999, Jim Farrand wrote:

> What should I set my domain name to? At the moment it set to
> south.park, but should I set it the same as my ISP? (cartman.bris.ac.uk
> isn't nearly as good as cartman.south.park.)

You could always go for 'ike.bris.ac.uk' ... that particular episode is
coming in the next few weeks on Ch4, IIRC.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell [Red Hat 6.0 Available!]
Eridani Star System -- The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat Linux CDROMs Available
Email: rhl...@amush.cx http://www.amush.cx/linux/ Fax: +44-8701-600807

Keith Sharp

May 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/11/99
j...@hex.prestel.co.uk (Jonathan A. Buzzard) writes:

> In article <373400B4...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>,

> Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
> >

> I use names from Greek mythology for the machines at work. Mostly Gods,
> but a few other characters thrown in for good measure. I could not
> resist Cerberus for the firewall for example, and Zeus is always good
> for a file server.

Can we start a sub thread on how many people have a firewall called
cerberus?

I can start the ball rolling with a "me to"!

Keith.

The Milkman

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Ian Rutson wrote:

> Hmm.. when I was there some of the names were going. Two points:
>
> 1. How does 'muser' fit into the naming pattern

It doesn't. Muser is an alias. The actual hostname is kite (to fit in with the
bird theme).

> 2. Are the creatively named sparcs still there? ccw201, ccw202 etc..

If you mean the ones down in the computer centre... no, they're not. They have
been replaced byt PII/233's running NT. I think the stations are now in the
department of computing running as X-Terminals in the main Unix lab.

> Personally, my machines are called after Teletubbies:

I have a friend at Birmingham University and the main servers in the comp. dept
are tinkywinky, lala, dipsy and po!

--

Rich.

|Richard Halfpenny "Rich" | BSc Computer Science Student (4 Years) |
|1st Year Undergraduate | University Of Bradford, England BD7 1DP |
|ric...@rocketmail.com http://www.student.comp.brad.ac.uk/~rhalfpen/ |
|DJ & Webmaster bloke at *RamAir* - The BEST UK student radio station!|
-------- Visit and listen to RamAir at http://www.ramairfm.co.uk ------

James Fidell

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On Tue, 11 May 1999 22:32:46 GMT, Alex Butcher
<news...@cocoa.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10 May 1999 14:04:36 GMT, James Fidell <ja...@cloud9.co.uk> wrote:
> >Oh well, might as well join the thread...
> >
> >When I was working at Netcom we named one group of hosts after Arthurian
> >characters;
>
> But how *did* you spell the name of the Arthur's wizard mentor?
>
> Myrddin or Merlin?

I would have used myrddin, but since other people had to have access to
the machine as well, and it's helpful if they can spell it... :)

James.
--
"Yield to temptation -- | Consultancy: ja...@cloud9.co.uk
it may not pass your way again" | http://www.cloud9.co.uk/james

James Fidell

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On 11 May 1999 20:04:45 +0100, Keith Sharp <k...@passback.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Can we start a sub thread on how many people have a firewall called
> cerberus?
>
> I can start the ball rolling with a "me to"!

Or "Janus" as an alternative...

James Fidell

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
On Tue, 11 May 1999 23:21:48 +0100, Matthew Malthouse
<matthew....@guardian.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <373740E0...@sasallys.demon.co.uk>,
> Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> } It gets worse when they start messing with "-"'s and "_"'s.
>
> /scream/ DNS and EtherShare... Had scads of hosts with "_" in their name
> only to discover that new and upgraded systems wouldn't accept that, only
> "-".
>
> Can't remember which bit was most at fault, must confes to burying my head
> in the sand at the time and waiting until someone else fixed it. :/

The "_" character isn't valid in domain names, though certain nameservers
are somewhat lax about enforcing the rule.

George Poulson

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
James Fidell wrote:

> I would have used myrddin, but since other people had to have access to
> the machine as well, and it's helpful if they can spell it... :)

You should be so lucky..
we have machines here at work called "craigellachie" and "bruichladdich"
(amongst many other totally forgettable and impossible to spell names
derived from Scotch whiskies)
George

Paul Black

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99

The completions in tcsh are very useful ...

Paul

John Winters

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
In article <87ogjrz...@optiplex.localdomain>,

MJ Ray <h0...@mth.uea.ac.uk> wrote:
>j...@hex.prestel.co.uk (Jonathan A. Buzzard) writes:
>
>> The worst thing you can do is use people's names, and if you have lots
>> of machines a fixed scheme with an abbreviation for a department followed
>> by a number becomes much more managable.
>
>Aren't subdomains ideal for indicating departments? Then the machines
>can have their dignity back and have proper names. If you want to
>number them, use the dotted quads.

This is one of my pet hates - names within a structured naming system
which try to repeat the structure within part of the name. Thus
accounts' file server at Acme inc ends up being called:

accountingfsacme.accountingacme.acme.co.uk

Don't get me started.

John
--
John Winters. Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

Anahata

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Robin Stevens <re...@astro.ox.ac.uk> writes

>But at least among hosts in Oxford, Maths must win on the grounds of sheer
>surreality, with the "vegetable-emotion" series (recently mentioned in New
>Scientist):
> cabbage-fear, potato-shock, tomato-drive, broccoli-war, onion-enigma,
> pea-virtue, mushroom-love, pepper-glee, courgette-rage, pumpkin-anger,
> jicama-boast, fennel-faith

These are superb and they comply with the recommendations in RFC 1178
"Choosing a Name for your Computer" as I remember:

- names should be memorable, pronounceable and easy to spell (that
definitely rules out Zubenelgenubi)

- they should be related as a family of some sort (OK, in this case two
separate families)

- there should no be a hard limit to the number of members in your
'family'. You never know how big your network might get one day, so
Teletubbies and Snow White's seven dwarfs pose obvious limitations. With
enough research, I suppose you can always find a really obscure Norse or
Greek deity after you've used up the obvious ones, but the search gets
harder each time the network expands.

As an amateur musician, I'd choose names of composers, if I ever get to
set up a network like that. With this in mind, my experimental Linux
box at work is Stravinsky, but much of the rest of the network is the
Starship Enterprise staff list set up a trekkie colleague who has now
left.

Anahata

ana...@freereed.demon.co.uk + http://www.freereed.demon.co.uk/
ana...@locust.co.uk email to mobile phone 8 line messages max
0171 638 5577 (W) 0171 229 6076 (H) 0976 263827 (mobile)

George Poulson

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Paul Black wrote:

> > we have machines here at work called "craigellachie" and "bruichladdich"

> The completions in tcsh are very useful ...

Not considering that the vast majority have non-un*x systems on their
desks:

| C:\> ping bruc^Hice^Hhladd^Hdish^H^Hh
|
| Bad IP address bruichladdish.

Fortunately those of us who currently administer the DNS have a more
sensible attitude than did those who dreampt up the ludicrous names ...

| C:\> ping bruce
|
| Pinging bruichladdich.....

| C:\> ping craig
|
| Pinging craigellachie....

Where would we be without CNAMES ? :-o

George
(who can't help thinking that this thread is getting a bit off-topic)

Anahata

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Robert Hart <rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk> writes
>Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?

I hope you good people have all read RFC1178 "Choosing a Name for Your
Computer"

I won't reproduce it in full here, but as this topic has created so much
interest I'll summarize with the section headings, starting with what
*not* to do:

Don't overload other terms already in common use.
Don't choose a name after a project unique to that machine.
Don't use your own name.
Don't use long names.
Avoid alternate spellings.
Avoid domain names.
Avoid domain-like names.
Don't use antagonistic or otherwise embarrassing names.
Don't use digits at the beginning of the name.
Don't use non-alphanumeric characters in a name.
Don't expect case to be preserved.

Use words/names that are rarely used.
Use theme names.
Use real words.
Don't worry about reusing someone else's hostname.
There is always room for an exception.

Explanations for all these are in the full text of RFC1178, of course.
Well worth a read, and quite serious in intent.

Phil Day

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
> Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
> drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.

> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
> Robert

The trouble with most common themes is that they run out quite quickly
(charaters from a cartoon series, etc) or are a bit geeky (Greek gods,
etc).

I think the best set I every used were bird names - in some cases we let
the users come up with thier own ideas and you can tell a lot about the
people who ask for "Hawk", "Eagle", "Dove", "Owl", etc. I took
particular
delight in assigning "Tit", and giving someone "Thrush" - but maybe
that's
just me. We also tried to used "Dodo" for the IBM mainframe - but the
SysOp
wouldn't have it.

For the networked printers we used tree names.

Phil.

Ronny Adsetts

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
George Poulson wrote in message
<37394F0D...@cfm1020.NOSPAM.x400.icl.co.uk>...
>Paul Black wrote:
<snip>

>George
>(who can't help thinking that this thread is getting a bit off-topic)

But entertaining all the same :¬)

Ronny

Robert Billing

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
Anahata wrote:

> - there should no be a hard limit to the number of members in your
> 'family'. You never know how big your network might get one day, so

That's why I go for Shakespeare, Tolkien or CS Lewis. How about Wither,
Frost and Alcasan[1] for the M$ machines? Any really prolific author
will do.

[1] The baddies in Hideous Strength.

Nix

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
The Milkman <ric...@rocketmail.com> writes:

> Personally I always like to start naming machines after planets.. but in a

I use nasty gods; loki exists, odin will shortly, kali and shiva are
held in reserve for future boxes :)

esperi (the firewall) is an old red giant in Banks's book _Excession_,
and means `sunset' in Greek. Quite apt for a nine year old 486, in the
sunset of its life.

--
/* I hate C so much... */ --- jwz, in driver/xscreensaver.c

r...@greenend.org.uk

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
ja...@cloud9.co.uk (James Fidell) writes:

> I would have used myrddin, but since other people had to have access
> to the machine as well, and it's helpful if they can spell it... :)

I spent a long time as a user of a machine called myrddin, never had
any trouble typing it. OTOH the owner of said machine reported having
difficulty pronouncing it...

The worst we ever had at work was unkecheguapoosepatuk, which I have
almost certainly spelt completely wrong. It lasted a few days before
being renamed to something more sensible.

The naming scheme we use started out as Indian tribes, but more
recently we've used African and European ones too. Not all of these
score very highly for pronounciation (the staff being largely
unfamiliar with non-European languages...) but they are mostly
memorable, and there's a very large selection to choose from.

My own machines at home, on the other hand, are mostly named from Jack
Vance's fiction (sfere, lyonesse, tsais). I also have an NCD X
terminal called "portaloo" for reasons that are now opaque to me.

Other machines with names under greenend.org.uk belong to various
different people and so follow unrelated naming schemes.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

r...@greenend.org.uk

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
jo...@polo.demon.co.uk (John Winters) writes:

> This is one of my pet hates - names within a structured naming
> system which try to repeat the structure within part of the name.
> Thus accounts' file server at Acme inc ends up being called:
>
> accountingfsacme.accountingacme.acme.co.uk
>
> Don't get me started.

A friend of mine works for a company that I'll refer to as XYZ, and
all of the machines have names of the form xyzABC.xyz.co.uk, where ABC
encodes the type of hardware and a serial number. He (the friend in
question) has been trying to introduce a little sanity in naming since
he started there...

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Message has been deleted

Bill Hay

May 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/12/99
In article <slrn7jdprk...@nodonn.cloud9.co.uk>, James Fidell wrote:
>characters; another after the seven deadly sins (not too scalable, that
>one :) and another after breweries.

You forgot the eighth deadly sin: Microsoft.
--
Humorous Quote

Lou Powderly

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
In article <7h4sjs$3fe$1...@hek.netix.org.uk>, C. Newport
<c...@NOSPAM.netunix.com> writes
>hek Linux masquerading router - can anyone figure out why ?
>linus Linux workstation - how original can you get ?
>icarus Ultra5
>sol Solaris X86
>tosh A portable
>mercury Solaris X86 partition on tosh
>scone Open server 5
>boaz Ruth's workstation
>dosser An ancient 386

Probably best to keep Icarus a safe distance from Sol
Best regards,
Lou........

MJ Ray

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
jo...@polo.demon.co.uk (John Winters) writes:

> This is one of my pet hates - names within a structured naming system
> which try to repeat the structure within part of the name. Thus
> accounts' file server at Acme inc ends up being called:
> accountingfsacme.accountingacme.acme.co.uk
> Don't get me started.

Care to shout at some people for me? UEA policy for staff machine
names is:
<dept-code><user-initials><number>.<dept-code>.uea.ac.uk
and deviations are not allowed unless you expressly write in the "CPC
staff use only" part of the form *and* have a department IT support
officer who they don't want to mess with. So worst of all worlds, in
other words.

Even funnier is the computing service's staff machines. They changed
department code from CPC to ITCS, so they have machines named
itcs<user><number>.cpc.uea.ac.uk
which is just absurd! Come back eris.uk.linux.org, all is forgiven ;)

Andrew Savory

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
On 13 May 1999, MJ Ray wrote:

> Even funnier is the computing service's staff machines. They changed
> department code from CPC to ITCS, so they have machines named
> itcs<user><number>.cpc.uea.ac.uk

What's REALLY annoying is that it's another character to type. So oddly
enough, most of my /etc/hosts files have the old-style name in them...

Andrew.

A.Savory at uea.ac.uk All views are my own - who else would want them?

Robin Stevens

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Anahata <Ana...@freereed.demon.co.uk> wrote in uk.comp.os.linux:
> - names should be memorable, pronounceable and easy to spell (that
> definitely rules out Zubenelgenubi)

The idea behind Zubenelgenubi was that the name *should not* be any of
those things. At the time of arrival it was the most powerful machine by
some margin, and the idea was to make it a little harder for people to use
it :-)

Me? I happen to know that the CNAME "zub" is registered ;-)

And Iain A F Fleming <ia...@spider.com> wrote:
> The entity calling itself Robin Stevens wrote:
> > My IBM laptop is little-blue, referencing both its manufacturer and
> > a song title,

> Little blue is also the coloquial (English) name for the "Eudyptula
> Minor" species of penguin, also known as Kororaa (Maori).

Wow! Nice coincidence. Not just for Linux reasons, but because I also
like penguins ;-) My desktop machine has to make do with a Tux badge, a
toy penguin on top and a penguin sticker on the monitor. I don't think
many penguins inhabit the small island of Muckle Green Holm.

--
-------------------- Robin Stevens <re...@astro.ox.ac.uk> --------------------
Astrophysics, University of Oxford http://www-astro.physics.ox.ac.uk/~rejs/
---- Geek code: 74/24/11? M B G++ A<++ L I S- P-- CH+ Ar++ T+ H- Q? Sh-- ----
"This isn't music, it's blancmange!" -- Colin R Batchelor on Queen

Andy Leighton

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
On 12 May 1999 18:38:03 +0100, r...@greenend.org.uk <r...@greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>My own machines at home, on the other hand, are mostly named from Jack
>Vance's fiction (sfere, lyonesse, tsais).

But no wankh eh?

--
Andy Leighton => an...@azaal.dircon.co.uk
"... January is your third most common month for madness" - _Sarah Canary_

David Nutter

May 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/13/99
Neil de Carteret <neil...@btinternet.com> writes:

> One of our campus workstation rooms used to full of Sparcs, and thus was
> known colloquially as the Sun Lounge (it's been done before, I'm sure). Down

Not bad; we generally call ours "The Spod Pits".

> Anyway, this year the Sun Longe was gutted and refurbished with NT PCs, so
> we all have to sit there Exceeding into the teaching servers to get any work
> done. Stupidly, the machine names have all been changed to
> 'pcsl-something-something' to fit in with the campus-wide naming
> conventions,

Boo. It is annoying when they do that, because 'doze machines seem to
be so unreliable (surprisingly). Conversely the Solaris boxen we have
(mainly IPCs and IPXs with a few Ultras) run continuously and they run
cool, which is more than can be said for the NT boxes. These turn any
room fitted with them into a hot, sweaty and deeply unpleasant place
to work. Give me the nice keyboards and huge big monitors of a unix
workstation any day...

Regards,

-david

--
David Nutter | Pinhead affiliated...
Yow! STYROFOAM..

Richard Senior

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
Robert Hart (rob...@sasallys.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation

: drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
: names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
: hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.

When I did a Solaris training course at Sun (and this was about 7 years
ago, so I may recall the extact names incorrectly) they had servers
called Curry and Rice. The workstations were called Vindaloo, Korma,
Naan, Madras ...

Maybe they dreamt up their names in the pub too?

--
Regards,

Richard Senior
London, England

Mail: richard at r-senior dot demon dot co dot uk

JustinC

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <7h6u87$mud$7...@cfs2.kis.keele.ac.uk>, lo...@my.sig writes

[snip]

>: scotney,
>
><shrug>
Whaddya mean <shrug>? Scotney Castle - 'cept it isn't really a castle
its an old country pile with nice gardens (if a little small) run by NT
(that is National Trust - nothing to do with the boy Gates)

>chartwell,
>
><shrug>
Bloody hell what are you like?

Kent I do believe, once the home of Winston Churchill IIRC.

There's another idea for computer names: British PM's

Characters from the Jungle book?

My server is arthur and I have zaphod, ford, trillian, marvin and
agrajag as workstations.

--
Justin C by the sea. mailto:9905....@j-catter.demon.co.uk

JustinC

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <UTL$kCAulg...@powderly.demon.co.uk>, Lou Powderly
<l...@powderly.demon.co.uk> writes

I love techie jokes :)

Richard Corfield

May 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/14/99
In article <slrn7jid20...@nodonn.cloud9.co.uk>,

James Fidell <ja...@cloud9.co.uk> wrote:

>The "_" character isn't valid in domain names, though certain nameservers
>are somewhat lax about enforcing the rule.

Some spambots seem to be having fun with the - in my email address.
I've reveived spam for richardnews, richard and news.

- Richard.

--
_/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard Corfield <Ric...@Littondale.freeserve.co.uk>
_/ _/ _/ _/ Web Page: http://www.littondale.freeserve.co.uk

Nix

May 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/15/99
George Poulson <g.po...@cfm1020.NOSPAM.x400.icl.co.uk> writes:

> we have machines here at work called "craigellachie" and "bruichladdich"

One of the machines here (behind the firewall, so not subject to the
needs of public DNS naming) is called cuchulainn.tirnanog...

AfghanHound

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
Robert Hart wrote:

> Was in the pub the other night with some friends, and the conversation
> drifted on to machine host names. We all came to the conclusion that the
> names of the machines we worked with at work all had the most boring
> hostnames. For example, the one I deal with is called eri.
>
> Does anyone out there have any creative hostnames for their machines?
>
> Robert

Try dead musicians, e.g elvis, since 'ping elvis' will
return with 'elvis is alive', etc.

Round here, we have:

snoopy: My PC, mail/news/print/file server to the masses.
woodstock: 396 with g/f's BBC B/portable B/W TV as its
serial console.
lucy: g/f's 486DX2 (Compaq portable[1])

Wasn't this thread on alt.fan.pratchett about two weeks ago?

Afghan

[1] Not laptop: portable. With a handle on top.

--
"I swear you must think you're some kind of God."
"God, Root, what is difference?" - User Friendly.

Paul Black

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
AfghanHound <Afgha...@afghan-hound.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Wasn't this thread on alt.fan.pratchett about two weeks ago?

It's been on some comp.unix.* (I think) newsgroups recently and it got
very boring very quickly on them as well.

Paul

Stuart

May 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/16/99
Iain A F Fleming <ia...@spider.com> wrote:
> The first large Sun network (Sun 3s back then) at Oxford University, in the
> Engineering Science building, had servers named Heath and Robinson, and all
> the workstations was named after dead engineers - Brunel, Telford, Gresley,
> etc.

Ditto for Durham Uni's Engineering dept. The 6 HP workstations were
called: Brunel, Parsons, Clements, Swan, Whittle and Telford. Sadly
they're destined to go and be replaced by suns named after (top marks for
originality here) suns (stars).

Stuart.

It is loading more messages.