Connecting to a W95 ethernet network.. How ?

Nigel Spiers

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
RH5.2, KDE, NE2000 compatible ethernet card. Need to connect to internal
W95 network using TCP/IP.

Well I'm stumped, I can't see the W95 lan from Linux nor the Linux
machine from the W95 lan. BTW, the Linux machine has a W95 partition
with W95 installed if this is of any assistance. I'm going to remove
and reinstall RH5.2 as I've probable really messed up the original
installation. Could anybody give me the idiots guide to getting the
RH5.2 machine to talk to the W95 network so I can use the RH machine for
file / printer sharing and at the risk of being really adventurous email
redirecting to the correct recipient / IP address on the W95 LAN.

Any help would be gratefully received.
TIA,
--
Nigel Spiers - Managing Director.
Hi-Tech Components International Ltd

Jose L Gomez Dans

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
Nigel Spiers <nsp...@hitechuk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> RH5.2, KDE, NE2000 compatible ethernet card. Need to connect to internal
> W95 network using TCP/IP.

> Well I'm stumped, I can't see the W95 lan from Linux nor the Linux
> machine from the W95 lan. BTW, the Linux machine has a W95 partition
> with W95 installed if this is of any assistance. I'm going to remove
> and reinstall RH5.2 as I've probable really messed up the original
> installation. Could anybody give me the idiots guide to getting the
> RH5.2 machine to talk to the W95 network so I can use the RH machine for
> file / printer sharing and at the risk of being really adventurous email
> redirecting to the correct recipient / IP address on the W95 LAN.

What you need is samba (www.samba.org). This will let you use your
Linux box as a server or as a client of that network you spoke of. You'll
first want to install the linux network working parameters (such as IP
address, netmask...), and then install samba on top of that.
HTH,
Jose
--
Jose L Gomez Dans PhD student
Radar & Communications Group

Malcolm Locke

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99

And you'll find a really good 'need to know' guide to setting up Samba at:

http://eunuchs.org/linux/samba/samba_content.html

Mal

John Winters

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
In article <+HOlFLAh...@hitechuk.demon.co.uk>,

Nigel Spiers <nsp...@hitechuk.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>RH5.2, KDE, NE2000 compatible ethernet card. Need to connect to internal
>W95 network using TCP/IP.
>
>Well I'm stumped, I can't see the W95 lan from Linux nor the Linux
>machine from the W95 lan. BTW, the Linux machine has a W95 partition
>with W95 installed if this is of any assistance. I'm going to remove
>and reinstall RH5.2 as I've probable really messed up the original
>installation. Could anybody give me the idiots guide to getting the
>RH5.2 machine to talk to the W95 network so I can use the RH machine for
>file / printer sharing and at the risk of being really adventurous email
>redirecting to the correct recipient / IP address on the W95 LAN.
>
>Any help would be gratefully received.

This is a job which you *must* take in stages if you don't want to
get hopelessly confused.

I assume that when you talk of a W95 LAN you mean more than one existing
machine and they can talk to each other.

1) Check that Linux machine is physically connected. As you say it has
W95 on it as well it may be possible to boot into that and see whether
the physical connection is good.

2) Check the Linux machine recognises the card and initialises it.
(Look at the bootup logs and the output of "ifconfig".)

3) Check that the W95 machines are using TCP/IP.

4) Check that the Linux machine has been allocated a sensible IP address
which fits in with the numbering scheme used by the rest of the LAN.

5) Try pinging a W95 machine from Linux and the Linux machine from a
W95 machine, by IP address.

6) Try telnetting from a W95 machine to Linux.

7) Make sure Samba is installed and running.

Don't skip any of these stages - if one isn't working right the next won't
either and you'll only make things harder to diagnose. If you want expansion
of any stage, just ask.

HTH
John
--
John Winters. Wallingford, Oxon, England.

The Linux Emporium - a source for Linux CDs in the UK
See <http://www.polo.demon.co.uk/emporium.html>

JustinC

May 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/7/99
In article <7gkhkg$cch$1...@polo.demon.co.uk>, John Winters
<jo...@polo.demon.co.uk> writes

I may have a similar problem to that of the original poster. I've been
working on this for some time but have recently had to take a break and
have only just got back to it so lots of news to read.

Anyway I've worked through John's suggestions below:

>I assume that when you talk of a W95 LAN you mean more than one existing
>machine and they can talk to each other.

Yes

>1) Check that Linux machine is physically connected. As you say it has
> W95 on it as well it may be possible to boot into that and see whether
> the physical connection is good.

Yes

>2) Check the Linux machine recognises the card and initialises it.
> (Look at the bootup logs and the output of "ifconfig".)

Samba-log. Says
bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0 (address already in use)
log.nmb says
samba is now a local master browser for workgroup MASONS on subnet
192.168.1.255

>3) Check that the W95 machines are using TCP/IP.

Yes

>4) Check that the Linux machine has been allocated a sensible IP address
> which fits in with the numbering scheme used by the rest of the LAN.

Win 192.168.1.110
192.168.1.120
192.168.1.130
Linux 192.168.1.100

>5) Try pinging a W95 machine from Linux and the Linux machine from a
> W95 machine, by IP address.

Both work fine

>6) Try telnetting from a W95 machine to Linux.

No, Win95 telnet says

>7) Make sure Samba is installed and running.

See point 2.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
--
Justin C by the sea. mailto:9811....@j-catter.demon.co.uk

Simon Wright

May 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/8/99
JustinC <9811....@j-catter.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Samba-log. Says
> bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0 (address already in use)

This is probably because the port is claimed in /etc/inetd.conf; mine says

[...]
# These are to start Samba, an smb server that can export filesystems to
# Pathworks, Lanmanager for DOS, Windows for Workgroups, Windows95, Lanmanager
# for Windows, Lanmanager for OS/2, Windows NT, etc.
# If you're running smbd and nmbd from daemons in /etc/rc.d/rc.samba, then you
# shouldn't uncomment these lines.
# netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/smbd smbd
# netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/sbin/nmbd nmbd
[...]

and /etc/services says

[...]
netbios-ns 137/tcp # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-ns 137/udp
netbios-dgm 138/tcp # NETBIOS Datagram Service
netbios-dgm 138/udp
netbios-ssn 139/tcp # NETBIOS session service
netbios-ssn 139/udp
[...]

so you could try commenting-out the 'netbios' lines in inetd.conf and
sending inetd a HUP

-Simon

JustinC

May 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/9/99
In article <x7vd80c...@pogner.moho>, Simon Wright
<si...@pogner.demon.co.uk> writes

>JustinC <9811....@j-catter.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Samba-log. Says
>> bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0 (address already in use)
>
>This is probably because the port is claimed in /etc/inetd.conf; mine says

[snip]

>so you could try commenting-out the 'netbios' lines in inetd.conf and
>sending inetd a HUP
>
>-Simon

Thanks Simon, I've done this. From messing around I think it must be the
Win95 box that is the problem. I am sure samba is running (and only
trying to start once now) there must be something in the Windows box but
I haven't figured it out yet.

--
Justin C by the sea. mailto:9905....@j-catter.demon.co.uk

Carl Windsor

May 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/10/99
JustinC wrote:

> Thanks Simon, I've done this. From messing around I think it must be the
> Win95 box that is the problem. I am sure samba is running (and only
> trying to start once now) there must be something in the Windows box but
> I haven't figured it out yet.

To check out the W95 boxes run (on the linux box)

nmblookup -B hostname '*'

where hostname = name of w95 machine, you should get the ip back as
a response if everything is hunky dory eg.

nmblookup -B tikka '*'
Sending queries to xxx.xxx.xx.223
xxx.xx.xx.223 *<00>

You have worked through DIAGNOSIS.txt? (in the samba-doc/textdocs
directory) It has solved my problems 9 times out of 10.

Carl
|E-mail for life: carl.w...@bigfoot.com |
|Carl Mark Windsor - Ph.D Student in Computational Chemistry, |
| University of Manchester, |
| Oxford Road, |
| Manchester. |
|"Do...or do not, there is no try" Yoda, Jedi Master |