My computers won't communicate any more.

Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°16 + on desktop

Aug 21, 2016, 2:30:13 PM8/21/16
I have a wifi network which comprised a Plusnet router (TG582n), a
desktop computer (Nova), a netbook (Nettie), a wifi all in one printer,
a Sonyericsson Z3 smartphone and a Sky+ HD set top box. All have
communicated well for several years until today. I have just installed
a new Plusnet router (2704n) and I think I did something wrong when
configuring Nova and Nettie to the new router. During the process I was
faced with a window on which I was asked whether the network was Private
or Public with a couple of tick boxes (one for each answer). I
inadvertently clicked different ones on each computer. Public on Nettie
and Private on Nova. Now when I try to connect from one computer to the
other I get an error window with the message.
'Nettie/Nova is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
if you have access permission.'
I am the administrator for pity sake!!! :(
It's ages since I originally set the network up and my mind has gone
completely blank on how I can give myself permission for access on the
damn things. Both computers are still using Windows XP Home Edition
service pack 3 and connection between router and smartphone are OK.

I know it's a computer problem as when I re-installed the old router
earlier in the day the permissions were working OK, but not any more.
So it's when I was configuring Nova this afternoon after installing the
new router and was configuring, or rather mis-configuring Nova that I
made the fateful error. Can anyone out there help this decrepit old
fuddy duddy? Please, pretty please.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
flyi...@tiscali.co.uk FN 2º16+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°16 + on desktop

Aug 21, 2016, 6:57:05 PM8/21/16
Ignore the original post if you read it as I have managed to solve the
problem. I was mislead in my thinking it was a computer fault, it
actually was the firewall in my Avast Premier package that posed the
question so I had inadvertently managed to configure the Avast firewall
to not accept Internet sharing on Nova. Having customised the F/W on
Nova to accept sharing, unfortunately Nettie won't receive data from
Nova, so there's that anomaly to sort out. :( There's always
something else as well isn't there?
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
flyi...@tiscali.co.uk FN 2ş16+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland