Network Speed

Endulini

Jun 24, 2017, 5:09:22 AM6/24/17
Hi Folks,

I've recently had installed some cabling to various rooms in the house and
have noticed, via a couple of network switches that indicate the connection
speed (i.e. 10/100/1000Mbps) that some of the new connections are not
running at 1000Mbps where I would expect. The interfaces are all rated at
1000Mbps and the cabling used was Cat 6. Is this likely to be down to how
the RJ45 plugs and faceplates are wired? Is there anything I should
consider?

Cheers.

Chris Green

Jun 24, 2017, 6:03:03 AM6/24/17
10/100Mb/s uses only two pairs (or is it just one) whereas 1000Mb/s
uses all four pairs in the cable. So if you have some faulty cables
and/or connectors it would account for the slower speeds on some
connections.

RJ45/ethernet/Cat5e cable testers are very cheap, you can get one for
£5 to £10. They are not very clever, they just test the continuity of
each wire but will pick up the sort of faults you're looking for.

--
Chris Green
·

Endulini

Jun 24, 2017, 6:32:33 AM6/24/17

"Chris Green" wrote in message news:2ip12e-...@esprimo.zbmc.eu...
How would I test the faceplates?

Chris Green

Jun 24, 2017, 7:33:03 AM6/24/17
The testers I have simply have RJ45 sockets so you take two short
(known good) patch leads (i.e. Rj45 to RJ45) and connect the tester
using them to the sockets you want to test in the faceplates.

The testers have separate 'remote' test box that you connect to the
remote end and you can then see at the 'home' end if all eight wires
are connected correctly.

--
Chris Green
·

Adrian Caspersz

Jun 24, 2017, 6:32:15 PM6/24/17
I know you say "running", but just to check - When in standby some
interfaces can show an indication on the switch of working at the lower
speed.

--
Adrian C