Assistance required please!!!

1 view

Flyińg Ńuń 2°22 +

Apr 20, 2022, 7:35:35 AM4/20/22
Some of you in 'home-networking' may remember that in the dim and
distant past (the days of Windows XP) I had managed to set up a small
home network. The devices on the network were:
1 a Novatech built desktop PC (Nova) with an 'AMD (Sempron ~1833
Mhz)' chip, with XP. ,
2 an Advent Netbook (Nettie) with an 'Intel "Atom" N270 processor,
with XP.

3 an Epson XP-335 printer/scanner/copier.

These three all received wifi BB from a Plusnet (Sagecom) router.

Since then a 'Sony Ericsson Xperior (Android) smartphone and a HUAWEI
MediaPad tablet (Android) have been added and both synchronise
successfully with Nettie, but not Nova.
As the years have quickly passed us by, XP no longer functions
well, or sometimes not at all on many websites these days and my
originally "IT dyslexic" brain is showing even more symptoms of the
ravages of the aging process. So I decided to bite the bullet and
invest in a more up to-date device. A 5 year old, but refurbished
Toshiba Tecra (Z50-C) (I call it 'Tosh') with ample sized SSD, Intel(R)
Core(TM) processor with Windows 10 Pro

As you will imagine, life coping with W10 after XP is to say the least
'difficult' so it's taking some time getting the thing working as I
would like. The most problematic thing at the moment is getting 'Tosh'
to work with any device on my network except the printer. That was a
doddle as 'Tosh' found the Epson XP-335 straight away and would print
and/or scan whenever I asked it to. The problem is that I cannot get
Tosh to find any other device on my network other that the router -
that was no problem either, but finding Nettie, Nova, Experior 'phone
or HUAWEI tablet was is a definite No No.
Is there anyone in here who could lead me to and hopefully guide me
through some procedure to unite Tosh with Nettie and Nova on my network.
Currently I'm reverting to a 64 Gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive to do the job.

--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2º22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

Marco Moock

Apr 20, 2022, 8:08:18 AM4/20/22
Am Mittwoch, 20. April 2022, um 12:35:36 Uhr schrieb Flyi_g _u_ 2_22 +:

> That was a
> doddle as 'Tosh' found the Epson XP-335 straight away and would print
> and/or scan whenever I asked it to. The problem is that I cannot get
> Tosh to find any other device on my network other that the router -
> that was no problem either, but finding Nettie, Nova, Experior
> 'phone or HUAWEI tablet was is a definite No No.
> Is there anyone in here who could lead me to and hopefully guide
> me through some procedure to unite Tosh with Nettie and Nova on my
> network.

How do you want to find them?
There are many ways to do so: mDNS, SMB, some proprietary protocols..
What did you use in the past?
Do the new devices have software installed that supports these
protocols?

Flyińg Ńuń 2°22 +

Apr 21, 2022, 7:52:11 AM4/21/22
That's probably the biggest part of the problem Marco. My current
understanding of IT terminology. When the network was originally set
up I believe it was done by me being guided through the procedures by a
professional IT engineer, who is no longer around. We used the 'Network
Setup Wizard' found in the 'Control Panel' of my XP devices, and once
set up seemed fine for some considerable time. I seem to recollect I
had to buy and install a Networking board on 'Nova' but that facility
was built into 'Nettie' which was a couple of years down the line. Your
phrase "mDNS, SMB, some proprietary protocols", is almost
gobble-de-gook to me. When I say I'm IT dyslexic, it's the best way
that I can think of, of describing how my brain reacts to the IT
technical jargon. It's something that I suffer from and it seems to
worsen with age. I was hoping that in Windows 10, there would be some
form of 'Network Setup Wizard' which would be relevantly simple to
follow. But I can't even locate one. All I can find is 'Network and
Internet settings' and the only item that looks relevant to my home
network is the 'Network and Sharing Centre' page, but I can't find a
setting that seems relevant to me connecting 'Tosh' to my computers on
my existing network. 'Tosh' is, of course, already connected to the
network's router and printer.

Marco Moock

Apr 21, 2022, 8:08:27 AM4/21/22
Am Donnerstag, 21. April 2022, um 12:52:13 Uhr schrieb Flyi_g _u_ 2_22
Check if the printer has Ethernet connectivity. Does if t have ip
addresses?
Be aware that XP has IPv6 disabled by default, so it can't be used (you
can enable it in ncpa.cpl --> Properties of LAN connection --> Install
Protocol --> IPv6).

Flyińg Ńuń 2°22 +

Apr 24, 2022, 7:20:39 AM4/24/22
> Check if the printer has Ethernet connectivity. Does if it have ip
> addresses?

Yes my printer is connected to Nova with N Ethernet lead and to Nettie
by wifi.
Both are working well and it does have IP addresses for both. It
connects to 'Tosh' the refurbished Windows 10 laptop too, and also
seems to work fine too.

> Be aware that XP has IPv6 disabled by default, so it can't be used
> (you can enable it in ncpa.cpl --> Properties of LAN connection -->
> Install Protocol --> IPv6).

I don't understand all that but both Nettie and Nova are running Windows
XP the protocol IPv6 must be installed then. All I am trying to do is to
get "Tosh" (W10) to connect to both Nettie (XP) and Nova(XP). All three
are running from wifi from the same Plusnet router as is the Epson
XP-335 printer.

Marco Moock

Apr 24, 2022, 9:45:11 AM4/24/22
Am Sonntag, 24. April 2022, um 12:20:46 Uhr schrieb Flyi_g _u_ 2_22 +:

> All I am trying to do is to
> get "Tosh" (W10) to connect to both Nettie (XP) and Nova(XP). All
> three are running from wifi from the same Plusnet router as is the
> Epson XP-335 printer.

What do you mean with connect to them?
Windows uses SMB to share files and printers. This must be enabled on
the other computers to make them visible. Also check if the Windows
Firewall is blocking it.

Flyińg Ńuń 2°22+

Apr 26, 2022, 6:08:15 AM4/26/22
Hmm!! I'm getting nowhere fast with this, so I think I'll continue
with sharing using the flash memory sticks in he mean time and try to
think up a different approach. Thank you for trying to help.
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.