Fordson Power Major tractor 1960 Shrieking noise when revs go over tick-over ?

George

Oct 4, 2019, 10:05:38 AM10/4/19
My trusty power Major which recently overheated during a very hot day last summer
During some heavy grass cutting and as it had temporarily seized up, I got the head off could not find much wrong but I skimmed the face as it was not sealing properly. When I got it all back together it seemed OK for an hour or two but then it suddenly started to make a terrible screaming noise. I stopped it at once and looked all around trying to find out what it was and where it could possibly be coming from. I could stop it by adjusting the revs to a very slow tick-over and got it back to my site. I noticed oil was being thrown out of the little filter that ventilates the sump.

The thought of all the work to look inside the sump has prevented any further investigation as I am not confident that that is where the problem is.

Does anyone know where on earth a noise like this is coming from as I cannot imagine what could be causing it, Perhaps it has happened to someone else. If so, please please, tell me how it makes a noise which is deafening and I can only describe it as being from a bearing rotating freely on a worn shaft.

Any comments are very welcome. By the way, what has happened to this Group. It seems to have been hijacked by a whole army of Non-Agricultural salesmen.

Thanks and regards to all the agricultural businessmen who remain. George.

maus

Oct 5, 2019, 6:32:58 AM10/5/19
Do not endanger the Major by doing smething to cause it to scream.
(MF135 and Major are my favourite tractors)... Possible that fuel is mixing
with lube somewhere, Who skimmed the face?. Do you know how to?. I would suspect
a faulty refitting.

--
Ma...@ireland.xxx
Will rant for food.

AJH

Oct 5, 2019, 8:08:11 PM10/5/19
I was thinking a dynamo bearing getting stiff and making the belt complain

AJH

Tim Lamb

Oct 6, 2019, 4:52:45 AM10/6/19
In message <gvspj9...@mid.individual.net>, AJH
<ne...@loampitsfarm.co.uk> writes
Low oil level in the injector pump causes a bit of howling in my Ford
engined Manitou.

--
Tim Lamb

maus

Oct 6, 2019, 5:14:07 AM10/6/19
I had a Land Rover once that would screech furiously when dirt got into the
brakes, loud enough that people would turn to look as I was driving through
a town. never went any further than that.

Last LR I owned, I swapped for a Pajero after having trouble getting it past
the local equivelent of the MOT. The idiot that got it installed a shnorkel,
then removed it for some reason, so his son decided to test it through
puddles, I had moved on in between, and had a reason to buy the LR back, but
it needs a new engine.

I once bogged a LR, walked home, came back after that field dried out a
bit and the wheels gripped again.

I know one old guy whose son got into new machinery, the old Major is parked
out back, in case of need. Easy fixed. Anyone non-professional ever
repair a John Deere?.

maus

Oct 6, 2019, 8:23:27 AM10/6/19
Exactly. the first thing I was warned of in a deisel (or(ie)) engine was
to be careful with the injctor pumps. There was mention of an immediate
removal of a limb that had oil injected in under pressure.

George

Oct 6, 2019, 1:20:20 PM10/6/19
I have removed all the ancillaries except the fuel pump, otherwise, it will not even start. i.e. water pump, generator, radiator. I did overfill it a bit with oil to make sure the oil was getting everywhere after it started and I did not want to under-oil anything. I really do not think it is the starter as I have never heard a starter do that and the engine turns over with no noise and the noise only start when the starter has dis-engaged. The fuel pump was rebuilt recently by a very good firm in Norwich and I never had any problems with that either. It sounds like it could be maybe a worn gear or something loose on a shaft, but the noise seems to come from lower down. What is there in the head area that could shriek? The oil blowing out through the little filter near the drive to the rev counter sender may be relevant. Regards George.

maus

Oct 8, 2019, 6:05:59 AM10/8/19
Overfilling with lube oil is not a good idea. I can't remember why, but i
was advised about that once.

AJH

Oct 8, 2019, 7:48:03 AM10/8/19
On 08/10/2019 11:05, maus wrote:
> Overfilling with lube oil is not a good idea. I can't remember why

It can get pushed out of the breather in then into the combustion
chamber making the engine rev itself to destruction.

AJH

maus

Jun 9, 2022, 10:06:33 AM6/9/22
Hello Again!