TeX Hour: Thu 26 October: Share our Linux experience

1 view

Jonathan Fine

Oct 25, 2023, 10:29:28 AM10/25/23
to uk-tex...@googlegroups.com, TeXhax, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List
Hi

I'm in the middle of a self-inflicted course in Linux System Administration. More exactly, I'm installing Arch Linux on my PC, with a view to meeting my own quite particular personal needs. Right now I'm running Fedora, and I hope to be on Arch by the time of tomorrow's TeX Hour.

The topic for tomorrow's TeX Hour is sharing our Linux experience. All contributions are welcome, particularly about things I don't use, such as Microsoft Windows Subsystem for Linux. It being a TeX Hour, we might focus on

* technical documentation
* accessibility
* stability
* portability

TeX Hour: Thursday 26 October, 6:30 to 7:30pm BST
Zoom URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/78551255396?pwd=cHdJN0pTTXRlRCtSd1lCTHpuWmNIUT09

By the way, a major motive for my switching to Arch is to get better support for Wayland, the emerging replacement to X-Windows, which is now almost 40 years old. Wayland goes back to 2008, and the new release of Debian for the Raspberry Pi now uses Wayland by default. So for the first time a whole new generation of geeks will grow up using not X but Wayland.

TeX users know that TeX excels at digital typography, particularly in STEM. TeX provides an admirable platform. I'm excited about Wayland because it provides a much improved platform for what I might call interactive or display digital typography.

Look forward to hosting tomorrow on Arch Linux

with kind regards

Jonathan

PS. Researching for this post I came across: