Living without the TeX-Live DVD from UK TUG

Jonathan Fine

Oct 7, 2021, 7:23:00 AM10/7/21
to UK TeX users
Hi

Yesterday a member UK TUG wrote to me, anxious about loosing the annual TeX Live DVD as a benefit of membership from UK TUG. He didn't like the suggestion that they could "just download the most recent editions [of software packages] from the internet".

Here's my reply, which the member found to be a great help:

Although it's a bit of a big download, it is possible to download an iso image to your hard disk, and then mount it. That would be the same as putting the DVD into your DVD-reader. Here's instructions for Windows.

best regards

Jonathan

Joseph Wright

Oct 7, 2021, 1:15:23 PM10/7/21
to UK TeX users
Hello Jonathan,

The DVD is currently available from TUG to non-members for $16 plus $4 postage (https://tug.org/store/#software). At current exchange rates, this is around £15.

It would likely be possible to arrange a collective purchase of DVDs to the UK from DANTE without a formal group. The DVDs tend to cost <£1 when bought in bulk from DANTE, even allowing for shipping. Distribution within the UK would add about the same again. The success of a scheme of this type would to some extent depend on interest.

Regards,

Joseph

Keiran Harcombe

Oct 7, 2021, 2:23:38 PM10/7/21
to UK TeX users, Joseph Wright
Hi Joseph,

Has someone offered to take over distribution of Tex collection in the UK?

If not I’d be happy to offer my help.

Kind Regards,
Keiran Harcombe

Joseph Wright

Oct 7, 2021, 4:47:06 PM10/7/21
to Keiran Harcombe, UK TeX users
On 07/10/2021 19:23, Keiran Harcombe wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> Has someone offered to take over distribution of Tex collection in the
> UK?
>
> If not I’d be happy to offer my help.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Keiran Harcombe

Hello Keiran,

I have posted the the UK-TUG Announce list an offer to source DVDs for
members of the groups should it dissolve. Should there be significant
interest beyond that set of people, there would be a need for me to
think about the financial situation.

I would of course be vary happy if you or someone else decides to
explore this.

Regards,

Joseph Wright

Keiran Harcombe

Oct 7, 2021, 5:15:51 PM10/7/21
to Joseph Wright, UK TeX users
Hi Joseph,

I'd be quite happy to look into it with the view of taking it on moving forward.

Kind Regards,
Keiran Harcombe

Joseph Wright

Oct 7, 2021, 5:34:33 PM10/7/21
On 07/10/2021 22:15, Keiran Harcombe wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I'd be quite happy to look into it with the view of taking it on moving
> forward.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Keiran Harcombe

Hello Keiran,

I am very happy to leave this with you! I suggest you send something to
the UK-TUG Announce list as should the SGM vote for dissolution you may
be limited in contacting (ex)-members at that point.

Regards,

Joseph Wright

Keiran Harcombe

Oct 7, 2021, 5:42:37 PM10/7/21
to UK TeX users, Joseph Wright
Hi Joseph,

I've just pinged this through to the mailing list.

Kind Regards,
Keiran Harcombe

Jonathan Fine

Jan 20, 2022, 5:06:47 AM1/20/22
to UK TeX users
Last year I made a donation to TUG, to fund TeX Live DVDs in the UK. Here's the acknowledgement:

Thank you for your cash contribution of $25.00 USD to the TeX Users Group, received on 19 Oct 2021, designated as a
TeX Collection DVDs to UK addresses donation. Your receipt is attached.

--
Jonathan